Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I've been accepted into Pace, and I'm awaiting a second letter to see if I got any aid or scholarship money. I might get a little, since I got a merit from New York Law and a few other T3s. For this argument, let's assume I get like $10-15k.

My #1 is Rutgers and #2 is Seton. I'm due for a response any day now, and my friend with a significantly lower LSAT got in, so I'm still positive. Rutgers, because of it's rank and low price, I'm pretty sure I'm going there if I get in regardless of what I get elsewhere.

Assume I get rejected from Rutgers, but get into Seton, which is like $45k a year in tuition. If there's a $15-20k difference in tuition, is it worth losing the benefit of going to a more prestigious school like Seton to take the money?? Although I have an interest in land use and environmental law (pace has two big progrmas) I always figured that Seton or Rutgers would be better, but some practicing lawyers have told me to consider Pace if I get an award over those schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

evilweasel posted:

Seton isn't prestigious in any way shape or form. This is harsh but you need to be aware that anytime someone sees you went there you will need a stellar GPA to avoid getting your resume immediately binned.

Nah, not harsh at all. I'd rather get the real answers. I was under the impression that it's not great, but it's certainly a good school. I don't think I wrote it before, but my goal is to work in the tri-state area if that impacts the answers at all

Is Rutgers looked upon favorably at all or what?? I thought Rutgers and Seton were similarly ranked

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

HiddenReplaced posted:

The tri-state area doing what? Whatever it is you want to do, is it really worth 160k in debt?

Haha, I just looked up Rutgers, I had no idea it was a public school. If you don't get in at Rutgers, you probably shouldn't go to law school. I'm not really sure how to justify spending 100k+ on tuition alone at one of those other schools.

Ok this is pretty much what I was asking thanks

Ainsley McTree posted:

I like how when people come into the law school thread expressing a desire to go to law school we suspect that they're trolls

i believe that says something about law school

almost every single lawyer and law student I know has said to not go because of the insane debt and limited chances for high pay when coming out. The cost of Rutgers is pretty much the main reason I want to go there... decent enough school without soul crushing debt.

I just want a drat answer so I can just decide if I'm going to go already :(

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

The Arsteia posted:

i go to a TTT for free and it still feels like a waste, cant imagine what paying for it would be like

What year are you and do you feel it's a waste? Poor job prospects or what?

sigmachiev posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRJLr90vSA

Seriously though, read OP and reassess.

hahaha

Yeah I just finished reading the op and posted. It's definitely informative. One of my good friends just graduated from upenn and has been saying a lot of this stuff to me and I've been considering it. I just think it's good to get more input.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 9, 2010

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Defleshed posted:

Is anything we say really going to convince you *not* to go?

I went to Loyola Chicago, almost exactly the same USNWR rank as Rutgers and in probably the second or third largest legal market in the country. Like Rutgers, Loyola has been called a "strong regional school".

I was just sworn in to practice law on Thursday. At the swearing in, I saw about a half-dozen classmates; winter grads, February bar exam, so a small sample size, to be sure. Still, not a single one of them, myself included, has secured legal employment. I got lucky as gently caress and was selected for JAG, but that doesn't start for nearly a year and certainly isn't a career path most have in mind when considering law school.

I just looked at my Facebook for reference. I have ~40 Facebook friends that are law school classmates, class of '09 or '10. Of those, 4 have jobs at medium-large law firms, one is a PD in California, one lucked into Doc Review temp work, 2 are current/future JAG, 1 works as a paralegal in the firm that swore up and down they'd make her an attorney when she finished law school and passed the bar. EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON is unemployed or working in some job completely unrelated to law including (but not necessarily limited to) Clerk at Whole Foods, Bartender (2), Landscaper, and "Sales". Nothing wrong with those jobs at all, as long as you haven't wasted three years of your life and several dozen G's to get there.

I know how you feel, I was you in Spring 2006. Elated that a few of the schools I had chosen accepted me, weighing my options, figuring out who would give me the most bang for my buck, who was more "prestigious". It was an exciting time. But the advice I'm giving you now applied to me then as well and at least then I had the economy in my favor. Don't go unless the whole thing is paid for, or you're going to be sorry. I can virtually guarantee it.

e: And for the record, nobody is going to pay you to do "environmental law", except huge corporations might if you help them destroy it. But then again they usually only want people who've done a few years at a Vault firm and have a decent pedigree. Rutgers is not that pedigree. You'll be hustling outside the courtroom for misdemeanor defense and slip-and-falls, and that's IF you have the brass balls and the malpractice insurance to get out there on your own.

Hey, sorry I'm bumping from like two pages ago but a couple people responded and I never got back

Thanks for this post, it was really informative and terribly depressing. :(

And yes guys, I am certainly not 100% deadset on lawschool. My good friend has basically been trying to talk me out of it since day 1, but said at the very least if I really wanna give it a try I should take the LSATs, apply and reassess when I get responses (basically where I am now)

I've been working full time for six years almost, so I'm basically trying to get a better job (journalism). Not totally grasping at straws yet! I was always moderately interested in law, and figured I'd give it a try. I just don't have much of an interest in grad school and that's really the only other option besides law for a stupid poo poo English degree.

So yeah, unless I get some kind of crazy offer from Rutgers, I'm probably not going.

The only other question I ask is how much does the date that you send your app affect the scholarship offers you receive?? I got a 160 on the lsat. My gpa is a 2.8, but it's low only because I basically pissed away a year and a half of undergrad and dropped out. I was something like a 3.3 when I re-entered, and I worked full time for four years in college with lots of community service poo poo too. Provided that I don't get any $ this year, is it worth applying very early next year to see if I get a ride, or not worth the time??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

evilweasel posted:

Rutgers is significantly worse than American (#48) in the rankings, so see the above story.

:(

Thanks again guys for the honest input

good luck covering your debts, I guess?? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

SWATJester posted:

Seconding. I had similar numbers (sub 3.0 GPA and low-mid 160's LSAT) and I got in to AU. It's totally possible. You have to have a LOT of soft factors in your favor, and even then it's a matter of luck, but it's not impossible. I also got into several other similarly ranked schools (Cardozo, UF, Colorado-Boulder) so I really doubt it was a fluke.

On the other hand, that was 3 years ago, things may have changed.

I took the LSAT twice. The first time I was sick as poo poo and went anyway (143 :barf:)... kind of a bad idea. I've always been a good test taker so I was really hoping for 165 or so, but 160 ain't bad. But yeah, my main reason for reconsidering is the money. Without a ride, I'd be screwed if I was unemployed for a year.

Just running it through one of those debt calculators is loving scary

JudicialRestraints posted:

My grandpa spoke english as a second language and I grew up on an Indian reservation. Unfortunately I'm still white.

That sucks. Did you try contesting it??

In undergrad, I used to always get screwed on income because my parents were just above the need based for aid. I've got at least three ghettos (including good ol Newark) right next door, but my mostly white city screws me.