Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Sibtiger posted:

Well, this was the last post in the old thread so I'll post it again here:

In case you don't stick around for CmdrSmirnoff to return, here's some of his quotes:

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It's not as bad but it's not great. Bay St. firms have dumped associates and no-offered some students in the past year, but things are picking up a bit.

FWIW I'm at Osgoode - unemployed for 2L summer so far - and a bunch of my friends are, too. Up to 30% of the 3Ls here don't even have articles lined up, and applications are being accepted for my years' articling period, which they'll inevitably flood with apps as well.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

For 2L summer, on a continuum from Biglaw <----> Prostitution, whereabouts does being a prof's RA sit? Is it a black mark for future employment? At this point with no job secured should I just take the summer off?

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm seriously considering applying to a legal aid clinic in a town 1700km away, bordering the coldest town in the continental USA. A friend of mine is going back to his construction job this summer. Another is going to try and spend the entire summer high.

So it's not great up here at the momen

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm trying to talk someone out of going to law school on a Canadian law school forum.

It's not going to work - I just realized he has 1100 posts since the application cycle began.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

WaveLength posted:

All of this info seems geared towards those looking to practice law in the States. Is it safe to assume the situation is basically the same in Canada? I've been told that the "glut" of lawyers in the market isn't nearly as severe up here as it is in the US, but I don't know if that's true or not.

This thread is not long at all and this question has already been answered (on the first page no less)

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Via Email: Job Alert!

quote:

TO: JD Students

If you are in the neighborhood this summer working as a research assistant or studying for the bar and would like to supplement your income, Judge XX is looking for a sitter for her 10-year old son. During May until mid-June, he is in school and the job entails picking him up at 3:30 four days a week and 5:30 one day a week, Monday through Friday, and staying with him until sometime between 6:00 and 7:30. In the month of July he is at camp, and the hours would begin around 4:30, when he gets home. There will also be some full days during the month of June that she could use a sitter, if you are available. One week in June she will not need a sitter, since the family will be away.

The days and hours are somewhat flexible, so if you needed to leave early one or two days a week because of another job or a bar review class, that could probably be worked out. There will also be hours available in August. The rate is $20/hour.

If you are interested, please call Judge XX at [Number]

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Federal, but still. The e-mail is catchy with a "Judge XX - Job" title, and only opening it up reveals it is a babbysitting job. With the combination of lower than normal employment figures + desire to network, she could easily get swamped with highly-qualified applicants.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

soj89 posted:

Actually, one more thing: if they want a writing sample, what would you send? a part of a factum or part of a "research paper"? The factum was from an option moot in 2L, I also have samples from research papers for two paper courses...

If its anything similar to over here, writing samples should be briefs, not scholarly articles. Which sucks, because I have a nice collection of seminar research papers and only 1 moot court brief (from 1L year).

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Holland Oats posted:

I got my CLS housing today! $830 a month, one roommate, and I'll be living on 113th St. Am I right in thinking that I got pretty lucky?

That's about what I paid my first year, though I have a 4/1 on 118th (literally takes 2 minutes to walk to class)... though I only had 1 roommate this year, which was p. cool. They increase each year at some BS NYC rate or something.

So yeah, good deal considering your fewer roommates. PS:

JudicialRestraints posted:

gently caress New York.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

He's just always wanted to practice the law

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Got a grade back already for a test I took a week ago, thus proving profs are capable of making deadlines. Maybe I should have clicked "candidate for graduation this semester" every semester, might have sped up stuff before.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Kumo posted:

I'll try this again.

Taking the Bar this summer, should I complain here, or start up a new thread?

Depends, what school did you go to? Why do you want to be a lawyer? This is important.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
I graduate today. It's also expected to be rainy/stormy.

This is somehow fitting.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

TyChan posted:

I was feeling really low during my 1L summer and almost did it, but the Dean of Student Affairs at my law school refused to give me the form and eventually talked me out of it.

Now theres a school that really cares (about your money)

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah it's not authentic mexican food or anything but it tastes good for what it is, I like it. It's burritos for white people basically

Uh oh I just merged tacochat and racechat didn't I

That's what it tries to do, but if you've ever had Freebirds you know it can be done much, much better.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

entris posted:

Heh I forgot we were talking about the 2L summer associate position.

As opposed to those 2L summer partner positions, right?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I wouldn't know, I just finished my second year. The choice of classes I have second year is the same as third year though, I'm just more likely to get the classes I want this year.

You can take some conlaw classes that do that sort of stuff, but it's really not at all what law school is about. The question is virtually never what the law should be, it's what the law is or what you can claim the law is.

I took a class on Jurisprudence (Greenawalt) ... out of necessity ... for a 12 hour M/W schedule, instead of inconvenient hours that I didn't need. I hated every minute. Imagine a bunch of Petey's arguing back and forth, yeah, its that bad.

Speaking of annoying classes, I also took Human Rights and ended up getting an A, which is awesome because that class had (by far) the highest ratio of LLMs to JDs. And boy do LLMs like to speak their minds. Especially about human rights, and in defense of their precious countries. And how much they hate Israel and stuff.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

billion dollar bitch posted:

So I start my Bronx internship on Monday, and am worried about wearing a suit in NYC in the summer. I thought about getting underarmor shirts to wear underneath the button-up; does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Deal with it.

(it was very mild and rainy last summer in Manhattan. Subway still sucked though.)

Ps let me know when nyc figures out central air conditioning.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 4, 2010

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

builds character posted:

Wrong, all jury trials are like the movie twelve angry men. I know because I am a lawyer.

Not sure about that movie, but im certain Jury Duty is a more accurate representation.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

At the risk of sounding like a douchebag, why do you want to be a lawyer/go to law school?

Give him a break, he already answered that: he doesn't want to be an accountant. Thus, he really wants to be a lawyer.

And who cares how BU fared, this kid heard that BU has a good reputation in its region. The same region with unemployed Harvard grads running around.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HooKars posted:

I haven't had a whole lot of interviews since law school but of the few I have been on, none have actually even asked me for my transcript.

Clearly you're just a slacker. If you had worked harder the summer before law school things would be different.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Daico posted:

At UT, it *has* to be two figures, no rounding, I assume that's relatively standard.

It was a trick question because Columbia doesn't officially recognize/provide GPA

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Actually,

But he was clearly talking about sympathy towards piracy, which indeed is a problem facing our generation. Captain Morgan was not a good guy! (Neither is his rum, to be fair)

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

TyChan posted:

Are businesses really slow and inefficient if the activity that is causing them to bleed money is illegal and ignores long-standing legal rights meant to protect the generation of that content?

I don't like the RIAA, but just saying record companies and musicians should "just make better music" or "be like iTunes" really doesn't solve the problem that a massive infrastructure is there to allow people to avoid buying stuff that they legally should be paying for.

Pretty sure he is talking about the RIAA price-fixing CD's at a time when they should have been finding a way to digitally release music, but instead, allowed Napster to operate unchallenged as it did.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Lykourgos posted:

It's the indignity that is overwhelming. Most of these subjects would be illegal for Spartans to practice seriously, and the fact I'm meant to memorise great chunks of this stuff for a highly questionable exam should be a cause of action in and of itself

As much as I don't like agreeing with this gimmick, the bar exam pisses me off for this reason. 90% of the Texas bar is from knowing specific rules about specific areas of law, many of which are irrelevant. 10% (MPT) tests actual and useful lawyering skills that one should have picked up during law school.

Memorization is dumb. If the board of law examiners REALLY think the essay portion tests analyzation (it doesn't), then we should be able to use outlines for it.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

MaximumBob posted:

Get over it. The bar exam isn't about seeing if you're fit to practice law, it's about providing barriers to entry so you people don't come take our jobs. What we really need are longer bar exams with ridiculous amounts of required memorization, character and fitness standards which are only questionably constitutional, and ideally some sort of labyrinth full of minotaurs.

I fully support additional arbitrary barriers to entry in the special person's club, but only after I am first admitted to this special person's club. When the next generation of lawyers cry about the 3-week-long bar exam (complete with physical fitness requirement), I'll just remind them that I, too, had to pass the bar.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Elotana posted:

this was me during the AM essays:

this was me during the PM essays:

Family law is easy. I literally wrote "best interest of the child" about 30 times for the SAPCR question. Disliked the business associations questions though, so I would rate the morning about a neutral-face.

PS did you take it in Austin? Getting yelled at is p. cool, right?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

School starts tomorrow. Under 9 months left and one small test and I'm a lawyer!

Night school was cool because I could work but 4 years of law school is hell.

Look at how wrong you are... the bar is terrible

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Question for those with experience: is it possible in a lawsuit/discovery to get a subpoena for information from a non-party, even if the non-party normally sells this information (say, under the FRCP), to avoid having to purchase it at market value? Assume there is no other source of the information and it is critical for the suit to proceed.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks. I had seen a case relating to the medical records, too, but that specifically turned on the statutory rates, so not really what I'm looking for. On the other side, there are the non-party subpoenas for ISP's and copyright violators, but that's not something typically sold.

How would they even object to the motion to compel? Wouldn't they have to argue it would unduly burden them (as an uninterested non-party)? Seems that their typical sale of the information would be proof that it isn't burdensome for them to produce it.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

run on the track like a real man (that loving policy is why I started doing that actually)

I just liked the satisfaction of passing people over and over while working on my 50 laps. Ps the signup sheet isnt so bad if you do weights too, just plan to workout for half an hour beforehand.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Do you know how far around that track is? I've heard both .1 miles and .25 miles

Roughly 1/10th of a mile (160m). Anyone that says a quarter-mile (aka full track length) is an idiot and thinks they run a lot faster than they actually do.

Ok maybe not an idiot since they go there, but very bad at math and exercise. (Insert bad-at-math-law-joke)

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 16, 2010

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Stop posted:

I just applied to law schools. Please tell me how I'll die along and jobless TIA.

You will die along and jobless. Probably. What sort of LSAT/GPA?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

J Miracle posted:

No jobs though

Rick Perry reminds me daily that Texas has tons of jobs, so we win there. On the downside: Rick Perry.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

My professional responsibility class was essentially an MPRE review course, so I never did one minute of studying outside of that class and I passed with no problems whatsoever.

This would have been useful. Instead, mine was a semester of asking what we all thought about certain moral dilemmas and issues, as well as watching youtube clips from lawyer-related movies. At least the section on Legal Education allowed me to write my research paper on how there were too many law schools and not enough jobs.

I brought that up in class too. The response from another student was basically that people should have easy access to law school so they can exercise their right to be an attorney.

Edit:

Job update - just offered a position as an Assistant Attorney General.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 22, 2010

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Petey posted:

Yep (though it could mean Columbia Law School I suppose)

I was kinda hoping Georgetown had a section dedicated to learning about Columbia law, but alas, I was wrong.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Passed the bar!

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
I like to think that the goon pass rate is 100% for bar exams.

Ersatz posted:

Passed the NY bar. :toot:

Any word on how the results got leaked a week early? PS Congrats

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

Not a lawyer here, but want to chime in.

Biglaw: kind of like living in Baghdad.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

A handy gem from a recent columbia email:

Hey I have a government job and I love it. I've been meaning to write about it but all the free time I have makes me lazy or something.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Turns out I'm going to be writing the portion of an MSJ response dealing with preemption. That's technically constitutional law... right?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Yes, Army only and just recently instituted.

I don't know about that, because I'm pretty sure Air Force had a similar bonus system. Something to do with signing for a second term after the initial one ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Petey posted:

I mean, you can dice these things a million ways, and there are a billion different anecdotes and personal experiences.

But prestige isn't a crock. It might be a lovely thing to be obsessed with, and it's one of the reason status-obsessed lawyers are so goddamn insufferable. But those doors do open for people with those kinds of connections. They may open for people from other schools and situations too - but not as easily, not by default.

Since we're in the Lawyer and Law School thread: undergrad "prestige" is pretty meaningless. Go to a state school. Get a good GPA. Get accepted to a top law school. Save 4 years of $45,000 tuition.

(Get stuck with the remaining 3 years of $40,000 tuition)