Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Gadamer posted:

So what does that mean in the grand scheme of stacking paper? Will people who hire poo poo on you if you go to 15th, or can these still be considered good choices? Can I make snowflakes out of these papers? How do the people who go to private T14 feel about those who go to public?

First on the upward GPA thing: I raised my cum over a full point and it didn't mean gently caress all.

Second on the private vs. public thing: This is an absurd question. If you get into one of the big three private schools, awesome. If you get into, I'll go ahead and say Columbia on down (and I think the Columbia goons will back me on this), and Berkeley, and want to practice on the west coast, I'll give you one guess as to what school puts you in a better position. The point is that it's all relative to where you are and what your grades are. No law firm in DC is going to say, all else being equal, "oh wow you went to Georgetown, that's a private school, we gotta take this kid over the Virginia kid!"

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Yo, if anyone has experience or wants to impart some knowledge on writing a casenote (as opposed to a memo or brief), I'd appreciate it if you'd come to #lawgoons or AIM me (EVFAIN). Or just post here. I'd love some tips.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Omerta posted:

And the first signs of gunner tendencies appear. This is one dude's facebook picture

From that same Facebook under favorite quotes: "My only fear of death is that I will come back reincarnated" ~ Tupac Shakur. Oh dear.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
If anyone is willing to share a really cool resume template they like or take a look at mine, I'd really appreciate it. Gotta get it up for OCI in the next couple of days.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Mr. Fictitious posted:

i bought used copies for all of my first term classes in a fit of 1L anxiety. the civpro one was fairly useful, but the torts and contracts ones i probably cracked open once apiece. i might be in the minority on this, but in retrospect i'd recommend not wasting your money on any supplements, unless a chorus of students who've had your particular professor sing out in favor of a particular book. otherwise just roll with past outlines and your arcane ability to Think Like A Lawyer.

and i can't imagine old editions would hurt you, unless you also skip the day in class where you hear about all the hottest new developments in the wild world of twombly/iqbal or whatever.

I'm echoing everything here. Supplements are a security blanket for a lot of people and they go buy buy buy when everything you need should already be in the library. One helpful thing for me wasn't stuff like E&E but it was canned briefs - it helped to read those in case I knew I was going to get called on. These should also be in the library.

Our DropBox and Waves were about a billion times better than anything commercial IMO.

quote:

What about the core casebooks... does the 11th edition of this piece of poo poo really contain $100 more of The Law then the 10th?

Normally I'd say no but I had a couple profs who did use material in the newest edition enough times to where not having that new edition was kind of a bother. Hit up your upperclassman for some advice here.

P.S. Decided on Berkeley for the transfer voyage, I live with 9 Cal undergrads, there are mad indian buffets here, I have a big boy university gym now and I have Starcraft 2. Life is good?

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 10, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Wow people already interviewing. Bidding here just opened today, got my first practice run in a couple hours.

On that note about bidding: I'm a bit miffed as to how to proceed. Most people here will bid on San Fran and LA firms. I want Seattle, San Diego and NY firms the most. Do I bid the Seattle/SD/NY places high to ensure I get what I really want, or bid the SF/LA places high so I don't lose in the lottery?

E: JOB GET Hookars, good poo poo congrats.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

gvibes posted:

I'm getting a lateral interview, woot.

Nice man good luck.

On that note, my interview season starts today. What's the proper animal to sacrifice in this situation?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Got my first BigLaw rejection letter today! I am one with the brotherhood now.

That interview sucked on both ends so whatever, today was better and for better spots anyway.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
How are callbacks delivered usually? Should I be looking for e-mails all day or just phone calls, assuming snail mail callbacks are uncommon?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Kirkzor posted:

Any Pacific Northwest students/lawyers out there want to dash my hopes and dreams by doling out some regional advice? Any general school advice that isn't listed in the OP?

I'm at Berkeley but applied to many Seattle firms and a few Portland ones (I'm from Seattle). None have gotten back to me, but none have started callbacks yet. Seattle is small and insular, so is Portland, but there is a relatively strong IP field (nothing lose to silicon valley of course). There's a few national firms with strong outposts in Sea you should look into, like K&L Gates, Wilson Sonsini, Davis Wright Tremaine and Fenwick & West. Perkins Coie is also HQed there and the largest firm in the city.

I'd say get good grades and be on a journal and hopefully walk in with strong work experience and be at at T14 but I'm all these things and have zero callbacks anywhere right now after 9 interviews. I'm praying the next couple days something drops, I honestly felt a few interviews went really well. 17 more to go.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I want in on Goon Law School. I call dibs on head of career services.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
FINALLY got a callback, V20 firm. Lets keep this ball rolling, we were doing relly good in this thread with jobs a few weeks ago.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Napoleon I posted:

Grats! Ours has been a mixed bag; I know people with between 0 and 9 more or less inclusive, but a TON of 0s and 1s.

I managed to swing 2 of my top 3 choices, but only have 4 total so I'm a little worried. Our last interviews were Friday, do more come out after this?

We're not even done till next Wednesday but I'm out here down Californee way. There still is no word one way or another for anyone for about half the places I've viewed with so far.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

7StoryFall posted:

Finally, a call back... and I was talking with the admins about withdrawing.

Keep at it bud, and congrats.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Vander posted:

I'm writing my first ever closing argument for a trial skills class. (I represent the plaintiff in a car to motorcycle collision case. My guy was the cycler and is suing for negligence.)

Any tips?

You're honor, ladies and gentlemen of the uh... audience... look I don’t think it’s fair to call my clients frauds. Sure, the blackout was a big problem for everybody. I was trapped in an elevator for two hours and I had to make the whole time. But I don’t blame them. Because one time, I turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Enigma89 posted:

UCLA
USC
UC Hastings
LLS
SCU
USD
Pepperdine

Applications going out asap. If any of you guys know some good entertainment law schools let me know.

If you go to USD you are obligated as a goon to be top 5% and leave for a top 10. We're batting 1.000 with that.

You're still not obligated to get a job.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I'm getting dinner invitations out of my OCI applications. This is a good thing right

Yeah, it's good stuff. I got three dinner invites, of those I got two callbacks. The third is still a mystery, but its getting late in the game for that particular firm to be handing out CBs so I've stopped thinking it's going to happen. So it doesn't automatically equate to future ballyhoo with the firm but take it as a positive.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

TyChan posted:

Have firms changed tactics? When I was in law school, hosted dinners were large affairs where students were all invited to come by. I guess it gave mingling opportunities, but the consensus was that they were fairly useless and only helped if you really were on the borderline between callback and rejection for the firm who was hosting.

This is just my own experience I speak with, but all the dinners I went to were invite only, and invites were extended only after your OCI session. For example, for one of the firms, only one other person who interviewed for the same office as I got an invite. 40 students interviewed for that particular office (other students who interviewed for other offices were there too; I think in total there were around 12 students for four offices, out of 100-120 total who interviewed). The same process was used for the other two firms, with varying amounts of students invited to the dinner.

These have all been for national firms, but they have strong offices in the Bay and SoCal, so it could very well be different for firms where the power center lies somewhere else.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

I don't know. I tentatively had something lined up with a hometown firm for the summer, so I put in a couple OCI applications at bigger firms I would like to work at as just kind of a thing to do, if nothing comes of it whatever. They called me back two or three days after my apps were in, asking if I wanted to do dinner the night before OCIs, after a large mixer for all the OCI employers. I think the mixer is the meet and greet, and then you split off with interested firms afterwards, and then do OCIs the next day. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, considering I wasn't even really expecting responses

Yeah this sounds very different than how it works here, still though it's cool you heard back so enjoy dinner and be cool.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SIHappiness posted:

I'm just popping in to say that I'm a longtime LawThread lurker (haven't posted in almost a year), but I got an offer from my summer position today.

Awesome man congrats. Tomorrow is when I'm suppose to hear back from Callback #1 so hopefully we can keep the good news a'comin.

I'd also like to point out that here at TTT Dentistry School we don't have a moon bounce, but what we do have is a random week off next week where we were suppose to schedule callbacks. I've scheduled myself a girl who calls herself Midnight.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

entris posted:

At least one of you two got a callback.

I was hoping I could delight the thread with news of an offer today (one of my callbacks said they'd let me know today) but since it's 1:30 and I haven't gotten word yet we'll postpone that news until after I hear back from Jamba Juice.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Incredulous Red posted:

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: OPEN THE BLOODGATES FOR THE GLORY OF KHORNE

Quoting this because yes.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

J Miracle posted:

My LR casenote won a writing contest...publication in the Food & Drug Law Journal plus 4 grand cash prize.

SUBMIT YOUR poo poo there's money to be made.

Friggin badass. Way to go man.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
:siren: GOT AN OFFER :siren:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

evilweasel posted:

Congrats, what's the job/firm like?

V20 in SoCal, not the power center of the firm (and never will be) but they're in growth mode. Lots of litigation, some corporate. And thanks bud.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Ainsley McTree posted:

It was that or a Duke Nukem Forever joke but I think they finally admitted they're never making that one

Might want to stick w/ A Dance of Dragons cuz as of PAX a couple weeks ago the King is alive and well http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/09/duke-nukem-forever-from-vaporware-to-software/

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Stop posted:

I want to be a legal aid attorney lol no troll

I applied to Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Cal, Chicago, and Duke.

Kinda hoping for the Bay Schools since I grew up there

I dig Cal and I got a job and I'm terrible with numbers AND words so maybe it's a good deal for you. Plus if you grew up, in-state tuition. I'm pretty sure they'll match schollys at all those schools you listed so when Duke offers you money make sure you hit up Boalt admissions and let them know.

EDIT: Also if you really do want public interest the loan repayment here is relatively good or so I hear. Lemme know if you ever want to get a more in-depth student's perspective, happy to help.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 24, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
ATTN MOOKIE - I'd like to talk to you about something sorta time sensitive, if you get this tonight please hit me up via AIM (EVFAIN) or shoot an e-mail to sigmachiev@yahoo.com. Thanks man

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

:stare:

Are you fuckin slow or something

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

evilweasel posted:

texas

Respectfully disagree - Austin is a badass city, and there are tons of hot chicks and good bbq throughout.

I mean what's crackin in South Dakota? What does South Dakota do or have? Seriously.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Totally Negro posted:

Since I am here, do any socal goons have advice for finding a job in the area? Reason I ask is because my brother is interested in law school, but smarter than your average bear (Lol he went to berkeley) and given that he goes to a school like UCBerk or Stanford, how hard is it really to find a decent paying job? We're not talking big money job here, but just any job?

The fact he went to Berkeley for ugrad means nothig for law schools. And are you talking decent lawyer job in SoCal? And if so, honestly SoCal is too broad because the LA, OC and SD markets are pretty different. OC and SD have some parallels but still there are some big differences. Can he find a good gig down there? Sure - go to a T14 and do well, or go to a SoCal school and do very well then throw a hail mary and see if something comes up. I have no idea where the market will be 3 or 4 years from now, whenever he goes, but there's a lot of ins and outs and what-have-yous no matter what.

EDIT: When I say SoCal school I mean something accredited and above T2. I do not mean whatever place you were talking about.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 1, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

dividebyzero posted:

I came here to post a scathing critique of GULC's evening program, but now I'm too drunk and give no more fucks. Suffice it to say, I'm officially disappointed in how it's been administered and will eventually spell out why for, at least I'd hope, inclusion into the OP.

I think as a minimum, prospective evening students should see if their schools even have a semblance of a regular evening faculty, or compare syllabi to see if there've been any dramatic changes in the quantity and quality of evening course offerings compared to the day program.

P.S. We're charged more per credit than the daytime students. Why? Because "we had budgetary shortfalls" according to an official response.

I like any school that took a shot at me and let me in so I root for GULC, but how do you think there's a budget shortfall when the student body is so big?

Unrelated: Took the offer at the SoCal place I was talking about.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 5, 2010

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Stop posted:

I got into law school.

Beginning of the end...

What one and is it Cal/Stanford like you wanted?

Also Sigma Nu = Sigma Nuisance

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Wavelet posted:

Thank you, thank you.

How's Latham handling the post-fallout period? Are they losing midlevels? I can't imagine associate morale being too hot over there.

Any good satellite offices out West? Mookie mentioned Skadden LA & SF. How about Kirkland & Ellis (LA or SF)?

Any good SV firms/offices? Or are they categorically less prestigious than SF/LA offices?

Kirkland is p good in SF, don't know about LA. And IMO there's absolutely nothing less prestigious about making the same money in SV. Like if you're at Wilson Sonsini in Palo Alto, then good on you. Care more about the city, less about the firm.

Mookie does have a point about if you want to do IP vs. other lit, but I don't really think that's about prestige.

Best of luck on the LSAT today noobs! Not too late to cancel!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Petey posted:

MPP is one of them

I think I told you about this a little while back but I'd love for a goon to apply to Princeton's JD/MPP deal so we can know what it is. It's not really in the cards for me with landing a job and already as a 2L but it sounds like it could be pretty cool. This still requires law school at a T14 (or apparently UNC and maybe other pretty good spots) though.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Holland Oats posted:

Wow, that really happens? I literally haven't had a single LSAT conversation since I started.

Also, are there any more CLS stories that BDB and evilweasel can share?

I recall a couple people floating LSAT numbers near the start but no one really giving a poo poo.

As for my story I like this one a lot because it came full circle: About a week before school started I randomly facebooked a chick and told her me and my friends were going out as this and that time at such and such bar in PB. I tell her to bring friends and she does. In this group she brings is her roommates (not law school ppl)... and two law school dudes from her apt, real gungho rookie noob 1L poopdicks. One's a decent guy, the other is this fat gently caress with the goatee and a gold chain, looked like he was trying to be from Jersey but was actually from Chicago if that makes sense.

Anyway we're in line at the bar after drinking at my buddy's house and I'm standing next to Fat gently caress when he offers to buy a shot for the two of us. I say cool. He buys the shot and before we drink he says "just so you know, you seem like a cool guy and all, but I will slit your throat to be number 1." I kind of laugh and say OK sounds good and he got all serious and says "no dude, I'll loving do it. no one is going to stop me." This is verbatim.

Saw him the other week at my coming home party (he wasn't invited, he was just at the bar) I threw for myself after getting my offers, he asked where I'd been since he never sees me on campus anymore, and I told him I go to Boalt now. He just sorta stood there, being fat.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Building my schedule and I'm looking for some classes that'll up my stock for clerkships. Besides Federal Courts is there anything I should be making sure I get on my transcript come time to apply?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Thanks for the help Mookie and BigHead.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
The administration lied to me, I hate law school, my girl won't give it up anymore, bullshit bullshit bullshit, bloo bloo bloo.

I'm having the time here between SD and Berkeley, most of yall chose poorly like that evil guy at the end of Indy 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
lol wtf are you doing in Everett.