Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bud Manstrong posted:

Honestly I should just be a park ranger. I'd probably be much happier.

I think there's a judge whose only job is to hear cases in Yosemite and, as I recall, they get a free house in the park. That is the best law job you can currently hope for.

evilweasel posted:

I've heard the bloomberg one is actually much better than either. Never used it though.

For a transactional attorney Bloomberg law is absurdly better than either Westlaw or Lexis. It's particularly good if you're doing any M&A or bankruptcy work because it allows you to track companies and then gives you everything related to them.

edit: anything that lets you easily search no-action letters is even better.

Lilosh posted:

There's no way he can reasonably expect enough people to still be awake at midnight for that assignment to be read by enough people for class discussion.

Your expectations will change dramatically when you begin work. Unfortunately they will also depend more on which partner you work for than on which firm you work for so you will have no control over whether you are expected to sleep with your blackberry or whether you can stop checking at ten when the partner goes to sleep.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Save me jeebus posted:

Congratulations to everyone who passed the bar!

Just kidding, now you're doomed forever you poor sons of bitches.

:wotwot:, esquire.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NJ Deac posted:

Anyone have any experience dealing with cold calls from headhunters?

I think I was one of the last attorneys to get hired in 2008 before the bottom dropped out of the profession, and I've been happily employed at the same firm for a bit over 2 years now. The firm I'm at now is smaller, and about as low stress as a law firm can be (still somewhat stressful). I'm happy here, even if it's not the first job I would have taken out of law school if I had other options. The partners are cool, there's no office politics, and there's plenty of work to keep me busy, though the compensation is lower and we haven't gotten raises or bonuses since the recession started (though it's hard to complain about the latter fact, given how many of my colleagues are unemployed right now).

I got a cold email from a recruiter for a position at mid/large-size firm in the area that would nearly double my salary. The position calls for someone with specific skills that I possess in somewhat narrow practice area. Not wanting to close off any options for career advancement, I gave him a call to see what he had to offer. I was careful in my conversation with him to stress that I did not want to take any action that could potentially jeopardize my position with my current firm, and that I would not authorize him to send my resume to any firms without my consent. Many of the firms in this area in my practice area have a somewhat incestuous history and word might get out that I was looking to leave if my resume ended up on the wrong desk. Luckily the firm in question is not a concern in this regard.

I'm going to be calling up a couple of colleagues that have a prior relationship with the firm in question, but even if the work environment is not as great as where I am now, I think I'd be willing to tolerate a reasonable amount of additional stress to double my compensation.

What other factors should I be aware of as I deal with this guy? Are there any downsides to moving forward with an interview that I haven't considered? What other precautions should I take to ensure that I don't gently caress things up with my current employer?

What gvibes said, plus this

Recruiters compile lists of everyone in certain practice areas and then call/e-mail spam everyone who qualifies for whatever job was just posted on the firm's website. It's considered bad form to go apply for the job yourself if the headhunter told you about it and can lead to some serious issues if they come claiming the fee from the firm and the firm thinks that you found the firm on your own.

I tell every headhunter that manages to reach me that I'm happy where I am but they're welcome to give me a call about future opportunities. Different headhunters have relationships with different firms/companies and it never hurts to have folks checking in to see if you'd be interested in various positions.

You're well within your rights to ask them anything you want and to make them tell you all about the job in detail. They don't care about you, they just saw X experience and matched it up with Y opening and they get paid when you've been at the new firm for six months to a year. They don't care whether you're happy for those six months or whether it's a good fit so even though they're all friendly you can't treat them as a gatekeeper of any sort.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sulecrist posted:

Hi everybody! I've been in the thread for years and I've already asked these questions in IRC, but I feel like opening them up a little because xo's search functions are broken and the 3Ls in IRC are virulent freaks and all they tell me is to get signatures on a tams petition.

I'm a 1L at Duke looking for summer jobs. After graduating, I think I want to be an ADA somewhere (preferably in, like, Alameda or Kings county, but realistically[?] in some backwater capital shithole like Dauphin), but I know I don't know poo poo about poo poo yet. I don't expect to be at the top of my class. So here are some questions:

-How many jobs should I apply for? Dozens, hundreds?
-I'm looking at DAs, AUSAs, and AsG. None of them (at the moment) are anywhere near North Carolina. Will the name of my school and my handful of public-interest softs be enough to get me a glance at most places, or do I really need to be vomiting out resumes and hoping that one sticks?
-Any other places I should consider, even if I don't want a firm or whatever in the long term?
-How bad/competitive is northern California? If I work in DA's offices both 1L and 2L summers out there, will I probably still be fenced out by local competition and the state's penuriousness?

Every single one.

AUSAs are incredibly competitive. Not that it's impossible, just that it's incredibly improbable. it is impossible Vomit out resumes. Hundreds+. Duke is good enough that people will give your resume a look but that's a far cry from hiring you. Also, apply to every DA in every large city in which you would consider working. For example, the Brooklyn DAs office is huge, and they say they're not hiring but that is a lie. They're always hiring as long as you're good enough. So submit your resume and maybe you'll get lucky.

Probably? As a 1L, anywhere that will hire you. Ideally work for free. Does your school have a program where you can do public interest for free for the summer and they'll give you a stipend?

Very very bad. If you work in DA's offices there for both summers then you will have a much better idea than I do about whether or not you will be fenced out by local competition. But probably if you can get two summer jobs there you'll be OK. Good luck getting those jobs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mookie posted:

Question: is it worth taking over a $100,000/year pay cut for a 9-6, Monday through Friday job?

No. You have to make partner so we have someone to tell us what it's like.

evilweasel posted:

Depends on what the 100k is a cut from and how many hours that frees up, but the answer is almost certainly that you'll be happier based on like every study ever about what actually makes people happy.

Or this. After a certain amount of money everyone is happier with more time. Unless you really love the sweatshop you're at (2700 hours :sympathy:) I think this is a good deal.

That said I see people getting caught up in what they're doing all the time. One of the things that I think NY firms have done incredibly well is defining what the game is about. For whatever reason they've been tremendously successful in making it about money. For associates, it's salary. For partners it's profits per partner. The D.C. firms have done done alright by making it about being a little kinder and gentler and doing interesting appellate and regulatory work. Anyway, I'm just saying I hope you don't get sucked in too.

If you're happy with the work you're doing, your salary and your advancement potential then stay. If you'd rather do different work, work fewer hours or don't think you'll be made partner then leave. Don't stay just because of the perception that working at a particular firm or doing a particular kind of law is more prestigious.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Adar posted:

In corporate law where your clients are big enough to be used to large bills, you can bill for practically anything, it's just a question of what shade of gray you draw your line on.

If you bill 100% ethically, you wind up in Hookars' situation. If you don't and are smart enough not to overbill in situations that get you caught by senior partners who have to write down your time, everyone loves you. If you are a pre-law major who cares about the implications of this statement you probably shouldn't go to law school.

At least among the folks I know the commonly accepted practice is to bill after a certain time. If it's during business hours the expectation is that you would be in the office anyway so you don't get to bill for that time. If it's after whatever time you would otherwise have gone home then you can bill for it. HooKars's situation sucks but is not atypical. After the market closes/close of business everyone sends work out to the lawyers who then turn everything that night. This is a dumb way of giving your lawyers work and if, as an associate, you have a good partner they will manage the client so that this happens less frequently. Or they will manage you so that you aren't stuck with a bunch of work to do all night and nothing during the day. This is a big reason why transactional attorneys in NY come in at 10 (or later).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Roger_Mudd posted:

How the hell does that work? Maybe if the client is paying a lump-sum per month/period I could see it.

I think it's a holdover from going to the printer. When you went to the printers everyone would go and you'd all make changes to the disclosure and then waited for the printer to run another copy while you drank their ridiculous liquor, ate whatever food you wanted and played on their water slide. Then you reviewed the new copy and commented on the new copy, repeat ad nauseum until you were done. You still billed for the time you were at the printer. Now lots of disclosure is purely electronic and for public disclosure you still don't actually go to the printer they just send you a PDF and you review that and then go home. More commonly you send them the PDF and then review what they send back to make sure it's ok and then you go home. Anyway, I think that's where that particular practice comes from. As far as billing when you're just waiting for a partner to mark up a document or for the other side to return comments I don't know where that practice comes from but it's definitely there. Ideally you're doing other work at the same time and generally there's something for you to do but not all the time and people don't usually stop billing because there was 45 minutes where they didn't have work to do.

Think about it like travel time - you're not actually doing legal work during travel time but you still bill for it because the client needs you to go somewhere you wouldn't otherwise be. In this case the client needs you to stay at the office (or the partner is terrible at managing associates time but then the bill is really their problem anyway) rather than traveling to Manitoba but either way you're not getting to go home.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For starters here is the firm liquor cabinet.

Why is it on the bottom shelf? Do you have top shelf liquors too?

HooKars posted:

I'm in a smaller practice group where the bills are watched. There's some leeway but I can't turn my 10 hours of real billable time into the 16 hours of time I was actually in the office tonight (the last two of which I did absolutely nothing. At least I have bar studying that can get done while I sit around and wait).

The 10 am start time in NYC made this all so much bearable. You could actually still go out (or drink alone) and be totally functional or at least relax until 2 am and still get plenty of sleep. Having to be by in 8 am after getting out so late, this job actually drives me to NOT drink... which is really impressive.

:glomp:
Seriously, this is terrible. Sorry.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sigmachiev posted:

Was coming to post this too. 5k again for newbs, I think it topped at 35k for class of 03. It's lovely and people should be pissed.

Class of 2009 – $7,500
Class of 2008 — $10,000
Class of 2007 — $15,000
Class of 2006 — $20,000
Class of 2005 — $25,000
Class of 2004 — $30,000
Class of 2003 — $35,000

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Defenestration posted:

Shoulda gone to Quinn, since they seem to be the only firm that is willing to make an independent decision on anything rather than follow the leader like corporate sheeple

Sorry about your monies though :(

Plus then you could have gone hiking with JQ who is, I hear, a totally awesome dude and does run a "sweatshop" in any sense of the word. At least their firm leader is honest about bonuses (or at least he was last year).

Defleshed posted:

That is basically all I see when I read the posts about this poo poo on ATL. Why do I even read ATL I don't think I could care any less about 95% of the things that get posted over there.

Sometimes it's really difficult to walk a mile in someone else's bespoke shoes. :(

edit: 2007 was the best year. 115k bonus for 8th years. :allears:

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 23, 2010

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Stunt Rock posted:

If anyone is a UCC expert I have something I could use some advice on.

What's the question? edit: I know a lot more about article 9 than article 2.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Defleshed posted:

A BLOOOO I forgot to buy myself a car with my 180k salary

You'd think that someone who gets to drive tanks would be a little more sympathetic toward folks who just want a hyundai.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Defleshed posted:

I wish I got to drive tanks I would use one to run over law firm associates!

Joke's on you, they're all in tall office buildings and your tank wouldn't fit in the elevator!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Stunt Rock posted:

It's a moot point since it settled, but here's what happened.

• Kid is loaned a bunch of money from Uncle & Grampa.
  • Kid transfers title of car to his Uncle in September, so Uncle can sell it. Uncle tried to sell it but was never able to sell it.
  • Kid tells Uncle and Grampa he's going to go get them cash to pay off his debt. Signs title to truck over to prove he's serious.
  • Kid never comes back. Uncle gets pissed, goes and picks up truck. Decides to hold onto car AND truck until paid off.

None of this is in writing.

Lawyer for Kid says those transfers require a writing as they are a sale of goods under Article 2 of the UCC. I disagree but don't want my clients to get sued. We reach a really fair settlement anyways, so it doesn't matter. But I was curious.

Side Note: At some point, the Kid applied for a new title from the state, claiming that his old title was lost, stolen, or destroyed. Which is both criminal and civil fraud. So if we did go to court over this, it would have been reaaaaaaaaaaally bad for his client.

Yay, it really was article 9! everything is article 9

Physical collateral, perfection by possession, plus kid signed title over too. Your client can almost certainly foreclose on the collateral. The other side is stupid because it's not a sale of goods. The kid was loaned money and the car/truck was collateral to secure the debt. The uncle was also acting as the kid's agent in selling the car so maybe there's something there but until it was sold it's still collateral. If it were a sale then there would probably have been a single transfer of both assets or one transfer of funds for each vehicle.

The other side could argue that the loan is invalid because it's not in writing but then there's a partial performance defense (and as a practical matter your client still has the cars and the other side still got the the money).

Still, because it's family settling is probably for the the best.

entris posted:

I'm suggesting that the BigLaw model has had inflated compensation arrangements for years, and now BigLaw clients are realizing that they don't have to put up with it.

economics :eng99:

edit:

nm posted:

Law firms are far more likely to fire you than a first year.
Cheaper and willing to be a bitch. Plus given the legal market, they had their pick of the cream of the cream this year, so he probably has better credentials. (Which means, long term they have more hope for him).

(this is how managing partners really think)

very close but I think marginally more accurate is they will keep mookie and fire someone else his year because they know mookie will pick up the slack. They will also defer hiring the first year for two more years.

builds character fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 24, 2010

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Roger_Mudd posted:

No doubt, but big law lock-step discourages this activity. The only economically rational reason I can see that big law-ers don't just coast for 6-24 months on their huge salary is they think they'll make partner. My understanding is very few associates ever make partner. That's why I suggested he start Mookie & Associates, at least his hard work would benefit him vs. padding the profit per partner stats at his firm.

At least on the transactional side, for the most part only institutional clients are willing to pay those kinds of rates and they expect a broad level of sophistication that is extremely difficult to maintain in a very small firm. So you'll get a guy who advises a small fund on everything it does but because the small fund is only ever a minority investor he's really just reviewing stuff a big firm drafted and telling his client what he thinks about it. He's never going to be able to advise Fortress on their deals because they're going to need a much larger team of lawyers for the kind of deals they do.

I don't know how it works for litigation, but my guess is that it gets pretty comfortable at 200k+/year and lawyers tend to be risk averse. A friend of mine started his own white collar defense practice and is incredibly successful. He makes more than he used to at a firm and works about 1/5 of the time, all on his own time. But there's no certainty that his next case won't be his last. He's objectively quite good but also quite lucky. It's certainly not an experience I would recommend anyone else use as a model.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Linguica posted:

Still no jobs here, die alone as well (the latter becoming much more apparent when my long-term GF broke up with me last night)

:glomp:

Stunt Rock posted:

I really wish we had more law practice advice/chat in this thread. Sometimes it's good to be able to bounce ideas off of other lawyers or get help with pleadings or legal issues.

Nobody wants to talk about transactional law. :(

Roger_Mudd posted:

Do I have a cause of action against my minecraft neighbor for building a giant lava vomiting face that obstructs the view of my castle?

yes but damages are $00.00001 because it's really just your time and if you're loving around on minecraft your time is worth very little.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The income tax consequences for space travelers at sub-light speeds.

I want to write this loving paper as an independent research assignment but can't bring myself to ask a prof to supervise it because it seems so ridiculous.

Probably not interesting. As a US citizen you're still obligated to file a return every year (assuming you make anything) and I'm willing to bet that the government does not consider the time in foreign jurisdictions when determining whether or not you failed to comply.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

JimTheSarcastic posted:

Jumping in a shark tank with blood on the water...

I've been considering applying to law school next year (and would start presumably in fall 2012) with thoughts of practicing oil and gas law. I have several years of relevant experience as a petroleum "landman" (analyzing real estate title and writing title reports for purposes of leasing, curing up title issues, etc.) and actually really enjoy the work. I know that at least some oil and gas attorneys do primarily high-level work that is similar to (though obviously more challenging than) the work that I do now.

Unfortunately, the work I currently do isn't likely to last beyond the next couple years. I'm not sure whether the legal work I'm interested in will last beyond that, but it is certainly something I plan to really analyze before deciding whether to apply in the fall. If it is feasible at all, I would already have a lot of networking and recommendations built up through my clients over the past 6 years of title work.

Note: I wouldn't go into debt for a law degree for any reason whatsoever. This thread has taught me that much at least. Fortunately, I have options on that front.

Check V&E's web site to see if anyone went to your undergrad and then give them a call and ask if you can talk to them about law school. They do a ton of work for energy companies. I do not know whether or not they do any work that is similar to what you do but I suspect that either they do not or they do it as a courtesy for their clients. Still, your background in the industry would probably reflect very well on you if you went to law school, did well and then interviewed with them.

http://www.velaw.com/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BigHead posted:

I disagree with the T14 thing too. I would recommend the T5. Every oil lawyer I know went to HYS (except for one from Northeastern of all places). UT-Austin may work for Texas, but in Alaska they like HYS people.

http://www.velaw.com/lawyers/lawyersearch_result.aspx?fname=&lname=&pname=&school=texas&office=&ip=&id=1134

UT is OK for energy. Otherwise HYS or bust. It's not clear to me that Alaska has a bunch of folks practicing energy law.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Four Finger Wu posted:

Thank you! I read the thread for a while before dropping in.

The biggest concern right now is predictability. No one I know really cares what the exemption amounts or rates end up at - but everyone is biting their nails to get some certainty ASAP.

Some clients are considering doing some planned taxable giving this year because of the 35% rate, but that makes a lot less sense if next year the estate tax rate will also be 35%, plus there is a potential for a higher exemption amount so that gifts wouldn't even be taxable.

I love talking about this stuff so feel free to ask whenever. Good luck with finals.

What's the best way to set up a college fund? If I buy an index stock and put it into a trust in the name of not-atlas-of-bugs-in-20-years and they're entitled to the trust estate on enrollment in not-school-in-new-orleans will the tax base be the initial amount I put the stock in at? I vaguely recall there being some trick here but don't remember what it is.

Which firms are good at T&E law and how much lateral movement is there among those practices? What are your exit opportunities?

Do you typically establish statutory trusts or common law trusts? In Ca. or in Delaware?

What do institutional trustees typically charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shifood posted:

Need some advice for sending out a resume. I am a second semester 1L at a Tier 1 school and I have a 2.75 GPA. I have 4 years of work experience working as a legal assistant in law firms. I am afraid that putting the GPA on my resume will get it tossed, BUT leaving it off could make them think I did even worse. At this point I am looking at just applying to law firms (not the big ones though, probably no point), but I will expand my search if it seems like that won't be possible.
So here are the my options as I see it:

(a) Leave it on

(b) Leave it on and briefly explain that I had a death in my family the week before finals and was dealing with a personal medical problem that has since been treated

(c) Leave it off and mention it in my cover letter only along with brief explanation

(f) Leave it off resume and don't mention in cover letter either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I've just been given so much inconsistent advice.

1. Leave it off. Don't mention it until it comes up. Get your foot in the door and then make your pitch to a real person. Something like "look, I'm far better at working than I am at school. I've got the experience that will make me a great first/second year associate and I can hit the ground running. And I will because I will work like a dog." I think that's your best play.

2. If you don't get a job then go do something else. Better to figure it out now than to figure it out after another 100k of debt.

3. Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.