Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Direwolf posted:

OK, so NYU finally got back to me (the first letter got lost in the mail, apparently). I have been waitlisted!

I know typical waitlist whatever is LOCI and extra recommendations - my issue is, I have already sent a LOCI and an extra recommendation. Would it be bad form to find even more recs and write even more LOCIs? Is there anything else I can do to claw my way in?

If you're waitlisted at this point you're probably not going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Caligula Caesar posted:

Welp, after being held, re-reviewed, waitlisted, and reviewed again, I got into Harvard Law! Apparently it IS possible to get in as a boring white person with a <170 LSAT. Goons, take heart!

What was your GPA? Who did your mother used to blow?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

atlas of bugs posted:

Hello, I'm from New Orleans, and I'd like to inform you that the voodoo spirit of Baron Samedi presides over both matters of death and law. It's an interesting pairing, I know. You can purchase a voodoo poppet in the Baron's image at any New Orleans voodoo shop or online from any reputable source. Make sure you poppet is ceremonially cursed by at least a High Priestess with an incantation of two weeks or more. This cursed poppet has many uses; for example, I built it an altar of spiced rum and Hershey's kisses last year in the hopes of success in law school, but now I use it to pray for merciful death!

I hope this information has helped you decide which spirits/deities would best suit you through law school!

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

qwertyman posted:

Don't listen to this. I got accepted off the waitlist 10 days before classes started.

Oh wait, he said probably. I don't know many people who got off waitlists that late...

Everybody has at least heard of some person who got off the waitlist that late, but it's pretty rare. You have to start making arrangements to live in a given city, etc., and eventually, even if you do get in, you have to break a lease or find a sublettor, move (again?) - the whole process just sucks.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Civil posted:

I read the whole set of the OPs, and god drat, I wish my wife would have seen this years ago. I met her during her last year of law school, and even 2 years after her graduation, we are sitting on a massive pile of her school debt. On top of that, she realized that jobs in the legal field paid so low that she ended up getting work as a business consultant (no law degree required) and is making 2x as much as she would have as a lawyer.

If she would have just kept working rather than going to law school, we'd probably be around $300,000 above where we are right now. That's not an exaggeration.

Even before seeing this thread, I knew law school was a very bad idea for most people. My wife now actively talks people out of going to law school, and resents her mother for talking her into going to law school, just so she could brag that her daughter is a lawyer.

Haha you didn't marry your wife, you married her debt and lovely job prospects

Two words: Due Diligence

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Save me jeebus posted:

After four years straight through an evening program with internships interspersed (no pay! :v:), having to do an extra summer because he failed community property, and failing the bar, my husband still thinks he's going to be a lawyer dagnabbit and he'll have a job too.

If he fails the July bar I'm dragging his happy as with me into the field while I work on my MA/PhD in archaeology. He can be my personal sifting bitch.

Want an upgrade?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

ewr2870 posted:

No. I was asking because has low scores and yet is at a T14. URM candidates are far more likely to get into T14s with low scores and bad grades than are other candidates. This isn't news.

This might be news to goons, but schools do actually like college athletes. It's a pretty good soft to have.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

quote:

"He is an elderly man, red-faced, white-haired, and choleric. His passion is for the British law, and he fights for the mere pleasure of fighting and is equally ready to take up either side of a question, so that it is no wonder that he has found it a costly amusement. Sometimes he will shut up a right of way and defy the parish to make him open it. At others he will with his own hands tear down some other man's gate and declare that a path has existed there from time immemorial, defying the owner to prosecute him for trespass. He is learned in old memorial law and communal rights, and he applies his knowledge sometimes in favour of the villagers of Fernworthy and sometimes against them, so that he is periodically either carried in triumph down the village street or else burned in effigy, according to his latest exploit. . . Apart from the law he seems a kindly, good-natured person . . . [T]here are rumors that he intends to prosecute Dr. Mortimer for opening a grave without the consent of next of kin because he dug up the Neolithic skull in the barrow on Long Down. He helps to keep our lives from being monotonous and gives a little comic relief where it is badly needed."

Think like a lawyer.txt

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Good theory. Here, I've compiled a list of every Harvard Law student or graduate who is reluctant to tell people they go/went to Harvard Law:

The same thing goes for Stanford (in general)

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

newberstein posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I knew that URM was a big factor, but I guess I didn't realize how big. Yay for being a beaner I guess!

That's what I've always said. Esp. in AZ where you can get some of that sweet, sweet class action money that will come rolling in.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

And an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

They show cavity searches on COPS?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Adar posted:

David Brin's theory is that privacy is obsolete; technology makes snooping so easy that we may as well give up, admit there's no privacy anymore as a concept, and put restraints on what people can do with the information instead.

The man has a point. It's only a couple of more technological cycles until someone comes up with a surveillance cam that sees through walls, around corners and tags your Social Security number at the top of your face for 29.95 a month.

David Brin also writes passionately about dolphins loving

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

So what does an ulcer feel like?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Lykourgos posted:

Where else would you have me work? It's a noble office, managing the realm under the learned guidance of honourable judges.

Finally, an admission of identity

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

So, speaking of think like a lawyer, I watched Kick rear end last night, and mentally started adding up the murders the little girl committed. LAW SCHOOL HAS ROBBED ME OF MY ABILITY TO ENJOY WANTON VIOLENCE.

subjectnamehere posted:

Just locked down a summer position at the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office. It was promised to me in February if I didn't get the other position I applied for. Finally got her to follow through on it.

See you there brosef. I'm starting 6/1

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

subjectnamehere posted:

Sweet, which department? I start 6/16 - Soonest I could get a fingerprint appointment.

Got PMs? :ninja:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

SWATJester posted:

After a long rear end graduation where our dean (who is the chair of the UNCAT) rambled on about torture for 30 minutes in an incomprehensible accent, and AG Eric Holder gave us wisdom along with a couple shoutouts to some of the grads (one of whom he kissed on the forehead as she crossed the stage; I think she's his niece, because different last name but they look VERY similar), I'm now finished with this 3 year long nightmare.

A very very important question remains:

What is the correct term to use between now and the bar exam: Lawyer, or Attorney? I always thought Lawyer meant licensed to practice, but various web searches are informing me that it simply means that you were schooled in legal education, whereas an attorney need not necessarily have had formal education (i.e., Cali-style reading for the bar).

This is very important, I need to update my linked in to have the proper word following unemployed.

SWATJester, Esquire :smug:

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

Why do some folks put "Attorney at Law"? Are there other types? Can I be an "Attorney at Computer Games"?

It's a holdover from way-back England - attorneys at law practiced in common law courts, solicitors practiced in courts of equity, barristers practiced in the higher courts.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Warp posted:

Hello, I had a question that my girlfriend is kind of embarrassed to ask. She just recently graduated from Berkeley with a dual major, but alas the best Law School she can get accepted to right now is LaVerne or Western State University.

Can anyone help her choose between these two? She feels like it's all kind of pointless and that she should just pick whichever one gives her a slightly better scholarship, but I figured I'd ask you guys, my goony professional heroes :allears:

(1) What was her GPA?
(2) What was her LSAT?
(3) Is she a minority?

(4) Don't go to law school
(4a) Don't go to LaVerne or Western State. Really. Have you seen the jpg on the first page of the thread? With the burning money? It's like that, but the money burns FOREVER.

(5) What did she major in?
(6) Why does she want to go to law school?
(7) When did she apply to law school this time around?

(8) Tell me about playing battleshits with your gf

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Quote for emphasis.

As for your question, I know we used to have a chart for exactly this kind of inquiry...

I don't think you understand exactly where LaVerne and Western State are - TTT doesn't begin to do it justice (still not as bad as Glendale College of Law)

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

SWATJester posted:

Jesus I had a 2.8 and a mid 160's and I got into a T1.

Just another sign that something isn't entirely right with your gf.

Take the active duty job, and get out now while you still can.

Haha I'm like you and I got into a T1 with a substantial scholarship that keeps pace with tuition increases.

Seriously, if this chick is dumb enough to go for La Verne (really, my mom got a job teaching a class at La Verne's law school when she was fresh out of Loyola Los Angeles) she needs to reevaluate her life choices.

If she has a plus-3.0 GPA from Berkeley, she should reapply next cycle, early, and see where she gets in.

DO NOT GO TO LA VERNE. DO NOT GO TO WESTERN STATE (I took the LSAT there, it's barely accredited - seriously, it just got off ABA probation like last year)

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Warp posted:

She's wondering who the gently caress you guys are and where are all the unemployed lawyers you're talking about? She thinks that's there's no harm in going to Western State because she'll get her JD and pass the bar exam like every other lawyer, that they all learn the same damned material and they offered her a really huge scholarship. She thinks that you guys are just saying that she won't have a house by the beach or a cushy corporate firm, but I don't think she understands that it's more dire than that.

:ughh:

I need to let this sit for a couple of days because now we're just straight up fighting about it. She thinks she has no choice in the matter and that this is what she wants to do, I should just shut up and support her, blah blah. She thinks that it'll be totally fine if she goes to a lovely school, it's fine if she settles, at least she'll have an edge on people with just undergraduate degrees if she has not be a lawyer and just enter the job market. This is getting so stupid. "Yes, all of these guys on this website are just trying to trick and you and I, and they're not really lawyers or students, it's just a vast network of carefully planned trolls with nothing more important to do than to gently caress with you all day and night."

She should learn to do some loving research. Western State isn't a "new school"- it's a rebranded old school.

quote:

The American Bar Association (ABA) granted WSU full approval in August 2009. As such, graduates may sit for the bar in all fifty states.
Western State University had previously been provisionally approved from February 1998 through early August 2004, after which time the school did not receive full approval. Instead, it was allowed to reapply for provisional approval on an expedited basis, resulting in the granting of provisional approval again in February 2005. The ABA visited the school during the last week of February 2009 in order to complete its reassessment. The team sat in on classes, conducted an open forum with students, and interviewed individual deans and professors. WSU had dramatically increased its California bar passage rate for first-time takers in July 2008, exceeding 75% for the first time in its history. This fact likely influenced the decision.
The College of Law was ranked in Tier 4 among law schools in the U.S. according to the 2006 rankings, the last year it was ranked.[citation needed] It is not currently ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_State_University_College_of_Law

So she thinks that going to a school that isn't even ranked by USNWR, and last year, for the first time in its history had a bar passage rate over 75%, is a good plan? When its tuition is roughly equivalent to Loyola Los Angeles? poo poo, Southwestern would be a better choice. Maybe even Whittier.

Tell her to get a job in a law firm for a year while she reapplies in October. If she wants to be a lawyer, that's the way to do it. And find out what her LSAT is.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Got grades today. Straight loving Bs (and a B+). Best semester yet in law school. Please kill me now.

Abugadu posted:

So is there liability if people die from 60 year old unexploded ordnance?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Lykourgos posted:

Definitely true, but on the other hand, she will never experience being a lawyer if she goes to Western.

She will, and it certainly will require a high booze tolerance, as well as the ability to drive really fast 6 feet behind the bumper of a speeding ambulance.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Arsteia posted:

is that the statutory limit these days?

I think that's the rough distance required to (a) still be enough in the ambulance's draft to get pulled along and (b) still be far enough out to spot other accidents that might be more lucrative.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Does this count as a discriminatory housing ad?

quote:

I need a room mate. I'm very easy going quite read and play final fantasy 13. I'm looking for a female red hair single smokes pot and will play final fantasy with me. Let me know if your interested. Cats allowed.
http://chambana.craigslist.org/sha/1761298911.html

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

I had to google Western State. It's in Fullerton. I was born and raised the next city over and I have never even heard of this school. That can't be a good sign.

I took the LSAT there. You have no idea how depressing the campus is.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

builds character posted:

Oh look, 118 people from Harvard.

Yeah, there are all of 13 Illinois grads, some don't list honors, but most are summa or magna cum laude.

Oh well who wants to work for Latham anyway. . .

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

I had a dream about having an admiralty law case last night. I think it may have been a portent

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Tell us more :allears:

I think it also involved tornados. Maybe I've found a way to sue God?!?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

They don't have alternate service in Nebraska?

Serve at every known church, synagogue, temple, and heathen altar in the state of Nebraska. One of them is bound to be his primary address.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

So first day at work today. Found out that there's a hiring freeze at LA DWP, except for key positions, especially linesmen.

I guess they really need linesmen. It takes 3 years and around $250,000 to train them, and apparently it's a field where a lot of the experienced people are (a) retiring, (b) dying of old age or (c) getting snapped up by private companies.

Ainsley, get your apps in now

http://personline.lacity.org/job_list/index.cfm?FuseAction=Showspec&CC=3878

^^6 figures after three years? A union and job security? Working outdoors? Seriously?

Incredulous Red fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 2, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Pompoon posted:

Out of curiosity, how do law schools view applicants with a major in the sciences? Most people I know get a degree in the humanities, or the weird auxiliary major my school has-sort of a law/philosophy type thing, and you also major in history, English, philosophy, etc. Anything that's heavy on writing and textual analysis. Would a science major be at a disadvantage?

Applying to law school would be a disadvantage

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Special A posted:

I know everyone loves hating on applying to law school, but can't we answer the questions too?

I'd imagine that having a background in the sciences would be a help, at least after law school, since you can potentially go into IP as well as any other field.

Really, it doesn't make you all that special. There are plenty of people who majored in bio, chem, physics, engineering, computer science, or took enough science credits to sit for the patent bar.

Schools care about (1) LSAT (2) GPA (3) URM . . . . . . . . . . . . and then, light minutes out from the rest of that, softs like where you went to school, what you majored in.

That's the general rule. I guess there will always be some admissions officer who masturbates furiously while thinking of sneaking one or two white dance/physics majors with low GPAs and LSATs into his class of uniform 170+/3.9 manufactured snowflakes, but really that's a poor bet.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

So for my externship, it's just me and some dude from Harvard working there.

Sonofabitch wears suits everyday, so I have to as well. I just make sure I stay later than he does.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Not if the actual employees there don't. Actually, if they don't and he does, you almost certainly shouldn't.

The lawyers do. It's a public agency so dress code is all over the place.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Warp posted:

Mission Accomplished:patriot:

Hey brodles, a few pages back you guys were helping me with my girlfriend. Well, I figured it's only fair to congratulate you on a flawless victory. With your help, I managed to get her to put law school on hold for a year while she thinks about things and retakes her LSAT. So thank you so much! If you guys weren't handing me the ammo, I don't think I'd have been able to save her life from soul-crushing mediocrity! I had her read all of your comments and I guess that planted the seed.

Today however, was her first day of an internship at a local law firm. She figured she'd stay busy and get a taste of what real law was, and after one day she's already questioning it. It's an unpaid internship, 40 hours a week, and she was hired along with two other interns. One is a girl who's already done one year of law school, and the other is a JD that graduated from SD a year ago who's been out of work since then. It's been a good exposure for her, now she can see what her prospects are. She's considering telling legal work to got gently caress itself altogether. Now we just gotta figure out what the gently caress she's going to do with her rhetoric/media studies degrees from Berk. :pseudo: Sexcess!

What was her LSAT/GPA again?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Warp posted:

Her GPA was a 3.6, her LSAT was, well, she won't tell me. Heh.

So somewhere between 145 and 155

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Went straight from college to law school, if I leave the JD off my resume I have to leave my internships off as well and then my resume basically reads "worked a lameo office job, went to college, did nothing for 4 years"

i can stretch that out to half a page at best

Curriculum Vitae of dicks sucked.

A veritable who's who of the closeted middle-aged gay family man of the northeast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Anyone know how to make superscript numbers automatically sequential in Word?