Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mastershakeman posted:

Being a fdcpa plaintiff attorney must be amazingly easy to do these days

It is, and the courts are making it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Look up how to actually write exam answers, whether it be IRAC or something similar. Or ask your profs how they prefer it. Being right doesn't mean poo poo if can't organize your thoughts

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

The firm I work for pays based on what is collected

Small firm

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

If I didn't completely luck into a job with a boss that loves me I'd be really regretting law school.

On the other hand, there is way more big law recruiting for the class below me then there was for mine.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

calvus posted:

I feel like its just going to get worse as legal services takes up an increasingly smaller portion of GDP

It's a ridiculous circle where law school costs more so lawyers bill at a higher rate so there are less people able to afford legal services so lawyers have to bill people who can pay more and so forth.

Pretty messed up that the standard advice is to just walk away from claims under $1000 because it would cost more than that to even pursue it half assedly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

It doesn't help that courts have lost a ton of funding and jacked up the fees for filing cases, either. I get the issue of frivolous lawsuits but come on

Wouldn't want those poors pursuing their rights !

quote:

I gave good advice in this thread about how to deal with claims under $1000.
Yes it's doable. But a lot of lawyers wouldn't even bother with it unless the client was willing to pay hourly to pursue it, and you run out of hours for under $1000 quickly

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

fineX posted:

Speaking of biglaw, do any goons have insider tips/things they wish they knew for the 1L recruitment process? Going through interviews next week and my school has some resources, but they're not especially useful. I'm in Canada if that matters.

Are you good looking?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

fineX posted:

I have noticed that all the hockey bros at my school got interviews and dinners with all the biglaw firms in Calgary. That said, their dads are all big lawyers/bankers so that might play into it too. I'm a visible minority (one of 20-ish in my class) so I'm hoping that throws off their attracto-meter.

Do the law schools in Canada do the diversity hires for the summer 1Ls so they can say they hire minorities before not extending them offers for employment like they do in the United States?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

calvus posted:

Ya lets complain about the diversity hiring programs, because their totally aren't enough of them everywhere

I don't know if this post is pro diversity hiring programs or anti diversity hiring programs, or if you are agreeing/disagreeing with me or what

I do think they are good programs, and I am pro affirmative action, I just think the way big law does it is very cynical and not an honest attempt to increase diversity.

Also maybe I am bitter about not getting a biglaw job who knows

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

calvus posted:

I don't quite get the point of diversity programs, it makes sense to try and get as many applicants to apply, such as minority applicants. However, isn't the goal to just hire the most qualified candidate?

Well yea, in theory I suppose. But not in reality. I'm pretty sure those diversity hires just exist to improve their stats on NALP.

Mostly depends on how you feel about affirmative action I guess.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

She also calls him a lawgiver, which I'm sure is a title he would take umbrage with

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

You should che er yourself up by watching Ronnie Coleman videos.

Just listen to him yell light weight on repeat

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

My crim law class didn't cover rape because we were too busy talking about executing mentally handicapped people

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Texas is pretty great if your middle / upper class white male that is into Mexican chicks

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Popero posted:

Does your jurisdiction allow for "and Associates" if there are no associates

I don't think Texas does

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Pocket posting apparently

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

The random racist retweet about black people sagging their pants is a nice touch

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I like to wash down caffeine pills with a monster because I have no regards for my health

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Whatever happened to toona

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

tau posted:

Who cares

The first 48?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

My school had a pretty easy requirement for scholarship, 2.5 I think as well. If you get below the requirement might as well drop out anyways, wasting your time/money at that point

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Emanuel Collective posted:

What? At my school a sub 2.5 GPA landed you on academic probation

Pretty sure the qualification to keep it is good standing Academically, so sounds about right

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I had a 3.2 gpa and a 162 lsat and I got a half ride, but then so did most people in my class I think, at a lower end of T1 private school.

I had an offer to go to what is I think a t3 school, ranked somewhere 100-110 and it would have be $9k total for 3 years of tuition.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Leave country, open expat bar

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Is it a choice of research assistant or PD or can you do both

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Jacobin posted:

I kinda like that use of the margins for a perpendicular header/law office information on the left... Ive never seen that before. Is that a Nevada thing?

I've seen it before in Texas, and my immediate thought was "these are going to be awful lawyers"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I took evidence and feel it was a waste of time, especially for civil work. By the time you get to the point of yelling objection in court, don't think you'll even remember the class

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

nm posted:

The point of taking evidence is so no one asks you why you didn't take evidence in interviews.
I took an advanced evidence course that was way more interesting, but I'm also a criminal guy. Focus on crawford and expert stuff.

Yea I took it because "everyone should take evidence"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Holy poo poo is evidence not a required class? Everyone should take evidence.

After your normal first year classes, we just have to take general and edited writing class, professional responsibility, and "professional skills" like clinic or some other classes, but evidence isn't one.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

My evidence class opened with the prof says "evidence is really subjective, so we're having an objective final"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I know one of the sons and they really don't come off as Jewish

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Newfie posted:

How are most of these not already required by law schools? The only ones my Canadian school doesn't require are remedies and bankruptcy, but both of the courses end up taken by everybody.

Land of the free :911:

Real answer is because ABA accreditation doesn't require it, so schools are free to do as they please

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Does someone here do state government work in Texas? Do y'all have to pay court costs and filing fees if y'all sue someone

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Oh great. Trying to figure out if counties have to pay filing fees and can't find anything that says either way

Thanks for the responses tho

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm at a bar now but I'll send you the government code section later.

That would be greatly appreciated, thanks

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Gotta say, that makes me feel a lot better about my research skills

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Encourage them to go. Play the long con

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

You spent 800 a month on food for two people?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

$13 a day per person is garish?

$178 a week for a family of two is literally called "liberal plan" by the FDA

so maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

evilweasel posted:

If you both work longish hours (and if you're at a big firm, you are), you can't cook your own food nearly that often.

You can cook a weeks worth of meals in an hour. poo poo you can probably work while a lot of meals cook too

Also $13 a day isn't even enough to eat out more than once a day, and that's prolly fast food or a sandwich shop, so you're cooking something at home

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 7, 2016