Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

TheBestDeception posted:

Via Email: Job Alert!

Came here to post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

I got my CLS housing today! $830 a month, one roommate, and I'll be living on 113th St. Am I right in thinking that I got pretty lucky?

Oh yeah man that sound pretty bomb. Nice score.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

billion dollar bitch posted:

So we had an eight-hour takehome. Strict 1L curve. Strict eight/five page limit for the two questions (you couldn't even write the answers nine/four). Twelve point font and "standard margins," which I took to be one inch (which is standard, right?) I now hear that there's at least one student who just moved the margins so he can write more. Professor is a nice guy, and probably wouldn't do anything if he notices it.

Should I mention the margin/font issue to him, that I heard that there were students that bent the rules for themselves and I was kind of pissed when I heard (which could make him watch out for it/maybe downgrade people). Or should I just do nothing?

Just let it go. People who cheat will get theirs.

ps hope you did good barenbuddy

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Alaemon posted:

Ultimately, I don't consider law a profession where relying on "karma" to sort things out is appropriate. We have an affirmative duty to report substantial misconduct that reflects on honesty, trustworthiness, or fitness to practice law.

The real question isn't if the misconduct should be reported at all, the question is if it's substantial enough to require reporting. Whether or not the misconduct is more likely to get the person a good score is irrelevant, as I see it. He decided the rules didn't apply to him and cut a corner so he could get a perceived advantage.

The profession has enough assholes like that, for my money, we can do without one more.

When I said "people who cheat will get theirs" a lot of people interpreted that as relying on a karmic principle. That's part of it, but there's a "personality capital" transaction also going on here.

If you say something, here's what could go right: the person might get their grade reduced or thrown out and you gain some totally minute incremental percent chance of doing better. Now here's what could go wrong: you could piss off the professor because he might deem you a grasping bitch, you could piss off the professor because you could insinuate that he was too dumb to catch it, you could piss off the professor because he might think you a brown-noser trying to work the system, you could piss off your classmates and get a bad reputation as being billion dollar narc if somebody finds out you said something and tells the person you informed on who, because law school is a terrible place, will surely slander your name by making the story seem worse than it is and telling anyone how you're just a Cold Dude.

If you don't say something, here's what could go right: the problem might take care of itself and you incur no risk. Here's what could go wrong: the additional 1.5 lines of text the margin reduction allowed (generous estimate) revealed such analytic brilliance that the professor cannot help but poo poo an A on the page, squeezing you, me and your honest friends back into the other lowly grade brackets.

Point being is this - if we were members of the profession operating in a universe where poo poo that mattered was at stake I'd definitely be giving you the opposite advice. The only thing at stake here is 1.5 lines of horseshit about formalist versus realist law interpretation methods. This quite literally is not worth your time.

In conclusion, just let it go.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Posner and Easterbrook: which one's the legend, and which one's the god?

Pro-CD is one of like six cases that make me irl angry

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

evilweasel posted:

This is awesome, thanks. Are there any other things I might be getting told that are complete lies and I need to not believe?

This is also really helpful, thanks.

The last couple of pages have been great. I start at my SA job on Monday and I'm excited but scared as hell.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

methamphetamine posted:

I'm having a really hard time trying to decide between Boalt and Columbia as a transfer. Boalt would be cheaper as I am in-state, and I want to practice in California. On the other hand I feel the greed for lay prestige making me want to go to Columbia instead. Is this a good idea?

The other comments have gone to the contrary, but I will say this - I'm looking to apply in my totally non-East Coast region at smaller firms and the Columbia name has kicked down the door so that my ~*~stellar personality~*~ can shine through. I can't offer any massively anecdotal evidence in support of Boalt. Just two cents.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
earlier in this thread izzy said he was attending a "top 4" law school and i now know what it is to feel true fear in my heart if only for a moment

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Dont be having a go at him guys. BDB's really a p cool dude and he even lent me earplugs for an exam but i didnt much care for them; too soft + i could hear the beating of my heart which made me conscious of the fact that one day i will die and that despite this I'm wasting time taking a property exam

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

The Brooklyn Ikea has an average 1 1/2 star review on Google so apparently it's an awful place.

Nah, it's not that bad. Bit of a wait to it but my girlfriend decked out our apartment plumb severe for not much cash. You should remember however that you either need to pay an arm and a leg for delivery if you don't have your own method for hauling out your things. It's best if you have a bro with a truck or an SUV to help.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

BigHead posted:

That's an A+ exam right there.

I didn't disagree in almost anything else that you posted but this is just flat-out wrong unless you were like referring to what the platonic form of an exam answer would look like in a world free of the foibles and egos of professors. There were 80 people in my contracts class. I would say that once the exam rolled around 75 percent of them were able to rattle off that explanation you just gave while also cracking a 17th century hand-carved tumbler fire safe. Yet only 15% will get As, let alone the ever elusive A+ which is pretty much a myth of story and song at this point.

No, those grades are reserved for people that not only know the material cold but are also able and willing to form it in the style the individual professor will be amenable to on that particular day - and therein lies the rub, best I can tell. And that level of familiarity with the professor and the professor's preferred style can't tumble out of a hornbook, sadly.

I don't disagree that this is all a silly bullshit game, I just disagree regarding the level of preparation necessary to play it well.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

During interviews, when they ask if you have any questions, do you think that I should mention things on their firm profile? Is this too gauche? Also, if you have any interview tips in general, I would love to hear them.

This is specific advice for you and it may be way too basic but youre p funny. Don't be afraid to show a little bit of your personality. One thing most firms look for in candidates is "a dude i would not hate to spend 30 billable hours with over the course of a weekend." You can be that dude so show them that.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Defleshed posted:

Haha I am from small-town Michigan and this exact thing happened to me when I was in high school around 1994...

I was driving my dads truck down a back road, with the door open, puking out of it while I drove. I was hammered off of MD 20/20. County cop pulled me over, asked if I "felt allright", told him no I was a bit under the weather. His partner drove my dad's truck home, knocked on the door and woke up my dad to tell him I was back, said good night and left.

Small towns own.

wait wait wait we got into a fight one time about whether or not Grand Rapids sucks. you were part of the "sucks" camp and i opposed you

what high school did you go to?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

evilweasel posted:

columbia has a gym that they wanted to replace in the 1970s and some loving students stopped them from doing

it is a windowless pit of dispair

every morning i am there at the pit gym. it is literally underground. it is a series of long hallway tubes centering around a single basketball court that is barely ever used. dust bunnies blow across my feet. everything is painted blue LIKE MY PAIN

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

gvibes posted:

If there were jobs and weren't so many jesus people there, I would totally move to Grand Rapids.

:whatup:

rep the ru

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

AshB posted:

That was my retake. :suicide:

Rather than worrying about the irrevocable damage done, I'm just trying to move forward from it. I'm screwed, but I'll try anyway.

Don't please. Don't do it. You could seriously ruin your life. Please just go do anything else. It will be hard on your family but they don't understand. Please listen.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
DO NOT TAKE THE CLASS WITH STRAUSS

please listen

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

MFsteve posted:

Also, I forgot to mention that the work comp. firm requires 250 billed hours a month! How is that even possible??

WHOA.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I don't deserve to be giving Mookie advice but I will say that the job he's considering is roughly analogous to the path I tried to shape throughout law school. Now I've got a job waiting for me (provided nothing falls through which it well might) that fits that need perfectly. It doesn't pay market but it pays plenty and it's an 1800 billable requirement firm that does the work I think I like to do in a place where it costs nothing to live. I always knew I wanted something like that even though it runs counter to what most people seem to want in school.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm on IBR too and I don't know what I'd do without it. I owe them over $100,000 and Every now and then the DoE sends me a bill for $0.00 and that's that, they don't even bug me with phone calls

the access group on the other hand is a little more passionate about the $50,000 I owe them. Do not borrow private money. There's no need to do it and it's just dumb, borrow federal

I hope the republicans don't notice IBR when they're making budget cuts

I'm confused - doesn't access group only issue federally backed loans?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Green Crayons posted:

Plebe spotted.

Mouthfeel my d0ng

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I'm so sorry Green Crayons. With a word like "mouthfeel" just hanging out there I just had to.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

The rumors about you and J.N. were true!

didn't get this at first, thought about it more and then lollllllllllllll

EDIT: BTW we should do a lunch.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Green Crayons posted:

No harm, no foul as long as your dong is coated with moderate thickness.

:smug:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Mookie posted:

When my billing numbers and production were recession-proof, yes. I'm pissed that the general lovely economy, which has not had any impact on my specific output, is being used as an excuse to gently caress me over because other people have seen falls in realization.

Hmm.

Perhaps, considering your genius and skill, you should consider your audience?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Solomon Grundy posted:

Ouch. Has the thread finally turned on our brightest star? Is Mookie no longer our favorite son? That very same callousness to the suffering of others is what lead to Mookie's amusing thread indentity (e.g. "skulls for the skull throne.")

I don't want to even begin to suggest that Mookie isn't deserving of whatever he wants out of his career. He's worked plenty hard enough, to hear him tell it. As a son of Detroit however an early lesson I received is that you never EVER bitch about money in a room full of unemployed people. The kindest response from your audience will be indifference.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
So out of my four courses, I have one course I p much stopped attending for all practical purposes about two months in and haven't done the reading for since. I have the final in about three and a half weeks, in the midst of my other finals. I know there are several people in this thread that basically do all of law school this way and I'd like some wisdom of how I should study for this exam. My only goal is not to get below a B.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

prussian advisor posted:

Is this the class I think it is?

lol

But no. I actually do the reading and go most the time for employment. Hard as that may be to believe.

It's criminal adjudication, which is the rear end-half of crim pro. I'm also in the first half and I've been diligent in that, although that outline is far from done.

As for the "read the book three days before" crowd, how do you read an entire casebook in a day? Even skimming? Not only the "pages per instant" measure, but how do you keep focus on something like that for the 15 hours that would require at a bare minimum?

I like the idea regarding the page numbers and the in-book spotting, though.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

prussian advisor posted:

I did extremely well in adjudication working off just the G drive outlines, even thought they weren't for the professor I had. They're extremely thorough as outlines go, and I'd recommend them (particularly the 100+ page one, I don't remember which professor or what year it was based on) highly no matter which professor you have.

Oh bro, oh bro, the HIGHEST of fives. I didn't even think to look there for some retarded reason.

I <3 u guys

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Linguica posted:

Still no jobs here, die alone as well (the latter becoming much more apparent when my long-term GF broke up with me last night)

:(

Really sorry to hear that man.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
marry me, red bean juice; i have a lot to offer

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Adar posted:

My Phid had zero neurotic gunners. It was fantastic when I went there specifically because a large chunk of us never went to class :( Phid was so chill they let my then-GF, now-wife who wasn't a law student move in with me and then made her security manager over the summer. Aww.

Is Phid still tucked over behind South Quad? Or did you guys move into the old Beta house when/since you were there?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

CaptainComet posted:

3L at Cardozo here.

I've heard that goons maintain a DropBox folder full of outlines- can I get a link so I can contribute/lift a few things?

Yeah I'll drop in some old outlines to take a look at what we got.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

ragle posted:

note to retards, don't post in public forums about potentially illegal poo poo. edit your posts please. god drat

How is that illegal? Students share notes all the time. I don't want, like, CANNED outlines, I'm looking for other student ones.

Also, how bad do your grades have to be for a firm to revoke an offer? Does that ever happen?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

ragle posted:

Okay maybe its not illegal just a massive violation of any reputable school's honor code? In a profession with licensing dependent on character&fitness? Why would anyone short of a full-blown autistic think this is something you should post about in a public forum

Why is it a massive violation of the honor code? We have a community outline drive at my law school, and students routinely join study groups where we share outlines with each other. Professors usually have a rule where you can't bring in anybody else's whole outline to an exam but they openly acknowledge that we share study materials.

Do you seriously think this would violate an honor code, or are you just trolling?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Sorry. 2L at Columbia, have decent but not stellar grades (I think I'm between top 50th and top 65th percentile; there's an upward trend, if that matters), internship with Bronx D.A., current internship with Manhattan criminal court judge, strong focus on statutory interpretation and admin law (taken environmental, legislation, legal interpretation, and of course legal methods), semester of clinic, semester of non law-review journal. No moot court beyond Foundation, which everyone does, and no Law Review...

also he doesn't wear a coat in the wintertime so you know he's ~*~TRILL~*~

EDIT: he also flashed me gang signs in the hallway one time non sequitur and it looked natural

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

Can you send them to me too? My address is satojs at gmail.

lawnet consulted. holland oats identified.

commence reputation sabotage procedure

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Phil Moscowitz posted:

One time around Halloween someone told him a female paralegal was wearing a cat mask and so he yells from his desk, "[paralegal], come in here so I can see your costume. And you better be on all fours like a good little pussy."

i don't mean to be Brigadier General Gender Equality up in this thread or anything but this sounds like this would be mega uncomfortable for everyone else in the office

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

HooKars posted:

I am glad my parents saved for college. All those loans you people are always talking about sound like they suck.

One of my patrician friends was talking about how his parents - gasp - wouldn't pay for college for his older brother if he went to Grand Valley with his friends instead of taking an offer to ultra-prestigious MSU (lol). This was when I was a sophomore in high school.

I went home and asked my dad if he'd pay for me to go to school if I went to U of M. He laughed so hard he started coughing and when the hacking subsided he said "gently caress you, boy."

At the time I thought he was being a big meanie but I realize now how stupid and insensitive of a question that was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Linguica posted:

Ummm sounds like a completely legit question to ask your parents when you are starting to think about college

We were mega poor tho

sorry this was a heavily contextual story not really of interest to anyone

errybody move along nothing to see here