Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Petey posted:

SlyFrog that's a pretty great anecdote and basically what I was attempting to communicate.

What I'd like to add to Slyfrog's story is merely the reinforcement of a point he made - the gap created by the divide in high school educational backgrounds is made worse by the fact that at elite undergraduate universities a lot of kids are going pedal to the floor all year long.

I was a SlyFrog; my high school was a "high-flying" public magnet but even with that only six kids from my graduating class went to U of M and that was the best school anyone got into. When I got there I was very, very behind the curve.

I was lucky because U of M doesn't have a tradition of insane study, but now that I'm a law student at Columbia there are days when I go to the library and there are kids there at 2:30 in the am who are wrapping up an entire evening from studying. At the top levels you can't outwork the crazies, and some of those crazies got elite preparatory educations. "Catching up" is not always a possibility even if you have masterful work ethic. If I'd gone to Columbia as an undergraduate I'm not sure I could have made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Somebody talk about Columbia!

Columbia is in New York. It is a big city. Columbia is right next to Harlem. You'll never go. There is a big scary park between Columbia and Harlem!

If you ever get brave one night and try to go to Harlem through the park, i will be waiting for you

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 25, 2010

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

sarcastic, italian, mean spirited and beautiful? if she can cook ill pay for the immigration and marriage work and we can eat capicola and complain together

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

billion dollar bitch posted:

AHAHAHAH I GOT SEC WHOOOOOOOOO

Of course my friend had to be a total buzzkill and ask if summer = job offer later, to which I could only respond, "I hope so," but we'll see!

have fun managing the cam newton thing; i do not envy u

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
You know I'm really starting to wonder why nobody has decided to document vocational problems in the legal world and write or otherwise produce a news report about the horrible plight of the legal economy that both a.) doesn't use fourth grade potty language to express the point and b.) doesn't interview total skeez losers or overt retards to provide anecdotal backing for the story.

Some things discussed in that shingle-hanger article seemed pretty rational, but had I rolled up on that as a junior in college I would have assumed that somebody was Mad on the Internet or merely being an elitist prick by using terms like SHITLAW!!! and "bimbo GED realtor." This doesn't project an air of authority which is pretty necessary when attempting to defuse the myth of "law=prosperity," which was tremendously strongly ingrained in my middle class upbringing. This thread does better but still suffers from the inherent problem that it's just a bunch of dudes on the internet - tough to take that advice seriously, and even tougher to pass along to a parent or a friend who thinks law school is just the poo poo and can't wait to have me go and maybe to go themselves later on.

On the other hand in the NYTimes article, the form was proper, but the subject was a tardlord moron for reasons that have already been discussed. This made it hard to relate to because people never think that they're the moron even when they are. I never would have dreamed of putting a down payment on a swank pad with government educational loans when I didn't have a job lined up, so had I been a kid weighing the advice against the backdrop of the larger issue of whether or not to attend law school, I could have kind of driven a stake between his story and my own and found a reason to think I could do better. There are some anecdotes of similarly crippled futures from presumably sensible kids within that article, but they don't flesh out a personal story well enough to make anybody sit up and take note. There's also the guy on the front page of this thread taking the recycling to the scrap man, but even he had a ridiculous Lamborghini future dream that I have never been foolish enough to trick myself with.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish a highly reputable news source would take up this story with somebody like Linguica as the focus. Normal, sociable human who attended one of the T-14 schools and was on loving law review but had extreme difficulty finding any legal job - that's a profile that would have made me stand up and take note as a college kid.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

I've been procrastinating with applying for 1L summer jobs because I figure that grades will be posted any day now. Should I just go on ahead with applications or is it ok to wait for my grades to come out? Would employers even bother looking at me before I send in my transcript? The ones I want to apply for have deadlines that end in February.

Eek. You should have done this already. Do it now and tell them that grades are pending and will be forwarded once you have them.

Since it sounds like you want some non-private sector interest you might still have a good shot. Don't worry but get to it.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
You're not boned, Holland, but you will asymptotically approach boned if you begin waiting another week. Use the time before school starts next Tuesday and just get it done.

if u know who i am and u need any advice, email me (i don't know if we've met at the school before face to face)

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

I got the fear of god put into me and sent out six apps today so that's a start, I guess.

I'll make sure to email you if I have any questions but I unfortunately don't know who you are. What's your email address?

*zerp*

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 13, 2011

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

Got it.

Also, should I go through the NYU Public Interest Fair's site for jobs or just contact the employers there on my own to see if I can set something up sooner?

Contacting employers on your own is never a bad idea in my experience unless it's specifically said somewhere never to do so.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

TheBestDeception posted:

This shouldn't be a problem, so long as you abused the lottery system like everyone else. If you aren't currently registered for 25 hours and aren't on 30 waitlists you aren't doing it right.

i do not know how to perform this lawmove

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hell yea bro

Lawthread... lawthread. How is life in the glorious world I left behind?

thought about you the other day. How is YOUR life?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
i hate how worthless law school makes me feel. i've been not v good at a bunch of stuff before but for some reason there's something about seeing an entire semester of work condensed down to one letter that is not very close to the beginning of the alphabet just really makes me wanna say gently caress it and go home

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I hate the new "retro" movement in men's suits. I need to keep bringing in my suits at the waist and I'm built like a mooninite from the waist up so it looks goddamn ridiculous

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

prussian advisor posted:

Feces do you have any grades yet. I don't :(

i got all of one. onnnnne

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Is there actually any realistic chance that IBR gets taken away?

In this grim future I will march around in the desert in camouflage

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Okay, so after getting an A- in my 3 credit Environmental law class, I check my grades to find that I have a B- in my 7 credit "child advocacy" clinic. My chest feels like it's been gripped by like... icy claws of doom. I was on track for at least Stone, but now it's torn... (I have an extension for my paper, so hopefully there's another A- coming eventually).

What're my options at this point? I feel like this grade wasn't an accurate reflection of my effort/work product for the clinic. If there wasn't a clerical error and this is the grade my professor wants to give me, what can I do? Have you ever heard of anyone successfully appealing a grade?

I wouldn't worry about it too much man. I have a B- from the first semester and a couple of people asked about it but otherwise it's a non-issue.

You were right about median before the last semester, right?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Starpluck posted:

I came into this thread expecting some useful advice and encouragement to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer. I do want to become one despite this thread pretty much being a “Why you shouldn’t be lawyer” thread and it’s stressing me out.

Answer the following questions and we can tailor advice to you:

1.) What undergrad are you attending currently? If none, how long have you been out of school?
2.) What was your undergrad GPA (NOT graduate school GPA or any other GPA)?
3.) What was your LSAT score?
4.) Why do you want to go to law school?

This thread SHOULD stress you out. Going to law school is the right choice for probably (vastly unscientific answer incoming) the right choice for between 1-3% of applicants. Answer the best you can and we'll give you the best advice we can. People will also be snarky but you will get good advice too.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

CaptainScraps posted:

I passed the flow chart and even I think it was a bad idea.

We should update the flow chart. Regrettably, I think it's a little bit optimistic at this point.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

HooKars posted:

Out of curiosity how many 2Ls do we have from T14s that don't currently have jobs lined up for the summer? Or have jobs but got shut out of big law when that's what they really wanted?

At Columbia I was pleasantly surprised. Most of my friends are all set with at least something close to what they wanted. There are exceptions but I expected wailing and bloodshed to be prevalent but that's not the case.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Apparently, .8% of people in a seminar/clinic are supposed to get B-'s.

Yeah what happened man?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

No, I did SO much work for that class. But she kept calling me out for things that were just part of the way I function as a student. For instance, I usually just remember things, instead of taking notes. I'm good at it: I was on track for Stone, at least, and I graduated college PBK.

So I wrote down phone numbers and things when I was interviewing a client (over the phone), but didn't transcribe the whole conversation or anything. And then during our meeting to discuss the interview, she asks me a fairly detailed point regarding the writeup that my partner had done (I had put the facts into casemaps, she had done the writeup). I didn't recall, and then she calls me out for not having notes, and for not going over my partner's work to check for issues I didn't agree with/understand (I had skimmed it, but I had been concerned with the other stuff). She mentioned this incident about every single time we had a discussion about things... apparently not taking notes is irresponsible and unprofessional, and I let my partner down by not going over her work.

Of course I took notes thereafter, but it was too late.

Yeah if that's an accurate representation of your only transgressions, you really should consider looking into making some sort of formal appeal.

Above all, remember that this grade isn't the end of the world. It sucks and seems unfair but life will go on and it doesn't fundamentally undermine the hard work you've done to this point.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

So if T14 isn't the cut off anymore, what is? T10?

Should I be worried about taking on the full sticker price in debt for HYS? I'm going to guess no, but this thread would nearly have me believe that there will not be a single employed lawyer three years from now.

It's really hard to say. I've thought about it a lot however and if I had to synthesize everything I've learned (and heard via anecdote, so take with much salt!) down into a "guide," I would say:

If you get into Yale, Harvard, or Stanford, go if you're pretty sure you want to be a lawyer.

If you get into Columbia or Chicago, go if you're pretty sure you want to be a lawyer AND you get a partial or full scholarship, or if you're absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer (almost nobody does so this probably isn't you).

If you get into NYU, go if you get a scholarship that pays for at least a third of your education AND if you have almost no undergrad debt AND if you're pretty sure you want to be a lawyer, or if you're absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer.

If you get into Michigan, go if you get a whole scholarship OR if you get a very substantial one and you're absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer.

I would not go to Georgetown unless I got a full scholarship.

I don't know anybody who goes to any of the other T-14 schools, so I won't comment on those. I would not go to any of them without substantial scholarships, however.

Furthermore, I personally would not go to ANY non T-14 law school right now.

WHAT IS WRITTEN ABOVE WILL BE VERY CONTROVERSIAL AND IS ONE MAN'S OPINION AND CANNOT BE ASSUMED TO BE CORRECT

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I agree with Defleshed. Debt load is a major part of the concern you should have when thinking about law school.

For example, I'm in a really good place relative to most law students: I'm at Columbia, I have a scholarship that pays for one third of my total debt load, I have less than $20K of undergraduate debt and I have employment lined up for next summer which I feel decent (but not rock-solid!) about turning into a full-time gig.

The thing is though that I'd like to impress on most people reading this thread is that your chances of having it as good as I do are really, really slim - almost every opportunity broke my way. So if you read that and thought "ew you're going to be ~160K in debt gross man" then I gotta tell you dear readers law school is almost certainly not for you.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Petey posted:

I dunno, there's also the opportunity cost of losing 3 years of earning and advancement, especially if a JD sets you back and/or you hate being a lawyer.

I mean that's a big part of the reason I didn't go to Cardozo on a full ride (also: would have had to take out loans just to live in NYC).

I've been getting a lot of recruitment emails / letters from the mid-T14 (NYU, Michigan) because my (second) LSAT and GPA are high enough, but it's not worth it to me at this point. Then again, I like my current job, have career advancement opportunities, and was really only interested in law school in order to be a big gay academic writing big gay papers about gay bullshit, so ymmv.

Ooh, another great point. I think most prospective would-be law students are fresh-out-of-undergrad liberal arts majors though, so this matters in their assessment.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Archilochos posted:

Any current or past NYU/Columbia students around that might have some time to talk about their experiences? I haven't heard back from Columbia yet, but regardless of the decision it looks like there's a good chance I'll be heading to Manhattan next year. I know there used to be a list in the OP but it looks like it didn't survive the new thread iteration.

Shoot dawg.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I heard the Columbia gym is tied for shittiest gym in the country. Are there places nearby to work out with solid equipment? (a squat rack, for instance)

if u are thinking about using the squat rack when i want it then no it does not have a squat rack

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

If I eat another burger from hamdell I might just seppuku.

I order the double and every time I do I need to explain to the chefs what that entails precisely

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Napoleon I posted:

24 oz. lo-carb monster

requesting name change. it's what they already call me in watch and w00t

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Neko Sou posted:

Do any of you guys have any experience with The Innocence Project? http://www.innocenceproject.org/?gclid=CPTk-cCa26YCFUdrKgodDRdO2A I already have an externship in federal district court this summer but I'd really like to do this too. But they need you to work full-time in the summer and part-time during fall semester. It seems like a good learning opportunity and it pays $2,500 (which is better than free). I feel like learning from a judge and the networking/letter of recommendation I'm going to get from the externship this summer will be more helpful but I don't know if I should try to do this at the same time somehow or maybe next summer if I can't find a firm job.

I have a classmate who did it this summer. He's had vocational and volunteering history with related issues and causes and has a great personality. I don't know his academic standing but it's not amazing.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Solomon Grundy posted:

Yes for the rank and file. T14 seems to be recovering a little.

Totally just a data point but it seems things are remarkably better at Columbia, but still not close to as good as it used to be.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

At a law school party last night a 2L gets upset over some relationship drama, locks herself in the bathroom with a steak knife, and says she's going to kill herself. Cops are called (about ten arrive; slow crime day, I guess), and she gets sent to a mental hospital.

Don't go no jobs die in a bathroom or mental hospital.

wait WHAT the gently caress? please facebook message me

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

HiddenReplaced posted:

Would it really be so terrible making 140k with insane benefits, tons of free time, and job security for the rest of your life? Really? Why are you even thinking of leaving this position? I mean I know why, I think most of us on here have a pretty good feel for your ambitions by now, but think about this. You're going to lose SO MUCH of your free time for a little bit more money...SO MUCH. Please take the time to calculate how much you make per hour now, and how much you will make once you have to bill 2k+ hours.

Yes. Do this. Do not do the other thing.

Your wife's job is transitory. If she is the same age as you there's an excellent chance she'll be doing something else soon.

There is opportunity for advancement in your current job, just not limitless advancement.

The money is great at your current job and you constantly talk about how much free time you have.

Do not take the new job. Stay where you are. It would be a very bad trade.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

gvibes posted:

2) I'm told attorney disciplinary committees are not fond of this sort of thing (asinine, I think)

No way, seriously? It seems like strategic default on a securitized asset is a basic debtor right

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Solomon Grundy posted:

If you find me a bespoke tailor who guarantees that I will like the way I look, I will consider saving up my lunch money.

i laughed i admit it

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
leverage your cash bro. it works and it works BIGTIME

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Trash Can Man posted:

Columbia worth it at sticker?

Probably not. But you'll go.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
1.) You can live in New York on not much more than 21K a year. I actually supported two people with this. Things were exceptionally tight but we did not die.

2.) Trash Can Man and Stop - for the love of christ and all that is holy leverage your scholarships. Turn half at Michigan into half at Duke, into third at NYU, into third at Columbia. It does happen. Put the work in. Do it.

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 11, 2011

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

drat Phantom posted:

So to what extent does the average Yalie even try to learn the material? I know if my grading was done this way I wouldn't bother doing any studying besides straight reading. I'd probably spend all my free time trying to write interesting notes and/or "networking". Is that what happens at Yale or is the typical law student there competitive/neurotic enough to study and learn like the rest of us who have an avalanche of debt coming down, where the sole helicopter out of the danger zone seats only 5% of our class? And yes I'm totally jealous, although it makes it easier to accept the existence of Yale when there are cool people like you in it.

This would be my question too. I realize it's hard because Warsz has only been at one school, but just personally I wouldn't do anything other than read and keep up with the class and then review for like four hours or so the night before the exam to ensure I didn't fail.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

commish posted:

I HATE reading legal arguments on the web between non-lawyers (or idiots in general). It's pretty annoying, especially when it comes to IP issues, since that's what I do. It seems as if 75% of people don't know the differences between copyright, trademark and patents, and fair use is a defense to pretty much every law on the books.

I hate this more than just about anything, but it's actually provided a positive impact in my life. I went away to law school and I realized how much I hated it, and about midway through last year I made a conscious decision to not voice my opinion unless I felt very confident about my knowledge base underlying the opinion.

People do this all the time with medical issues too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
hookars please either help yourself or get help. seriously. :(

E: if you're seriously that underweight i am extremely worried; please do something

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 16, 2011