Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

im at the library and a guy just yelped aloud and then apologized to everyone because he just got a job :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

conlaw exam in an hour and a half. i know my mccolloch. i know my dole. i know my pike and darby and jones & laughlin and lee optical, and my CCCCGG-MPLS, that is to say corfield v coryell, carolene, cruzan, casey, glucksberg, griswald, meyer, poe v ullman, lawrence, and saenz. lets. *chk chk* do this.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Tetrix posted:

B

basically

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

Lawrence? Since when is 'conlaw' 'buttsex law'

since like.. 2003

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

I'm paying $260 a month with utilities included.
gently caress New York.

jesus freaking madison

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZP5DCXD8vc

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

11th hour in the library, gonna be here until 2

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Ok this is pretty much what I was asking thanks

almost every single lawyer and law student I know has said to not go because of the insane debt and limited chances for high pay when coming out. The cost of Rutgers is pretty much the main reason I want to go there... decent enough school without soul crushing debt.

I just want a drat answer so I can just decide if I'm going to go already :(

i go to a TTT for free and it still feels like a waste, cant imagine what paying for it would be like

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

What year are you and do you feel it's a waste? Poor job prospects or what?

im a 1L. Job prospects are pretty poor right now up here (the Cities (although not as bad as elsewhere in the country apparently)) so its sort of discouraging to know that my degree will have really limited application. i'm applying for transfer to Minnesota and Wisconsin at the moment (Wisconsin already promised me a seat), and ive planned to since i decided to go here. if you dont mind spending a year at a school that you plan to leave after a year, then maybe think long and hard about going. if you plan on going and staying: pretty much dont

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

I went to a party last night where two sophmores got really excited when I mentioned I was a law student. They indicated that they wanted to go to law school and started crowding really close to me. Before long they were fawning over me, touching me - laughing at jokes that weren't funny. I had both of them in the palm of my hand.

I tried to give them the spiel about how you shouldn't go to law school but all that I could see in their eyes was lust, for the prestige, for the 'big money,' for me. I could have taken them right there at the party and neither one of them would have objected.

Yeah, you could say that law school was a good investment :smug:

They were both dudes, dating each other

yeah if you've never impressed a sexy coed with tales of law school well then go right on back to gbs. imo

the rest of the time just tell people you're a grad student :negative:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

I answered a policy question in my ADR final with an answer of how civil procedure precluded his question.

But gently caress what he wanted, my answer was right. :colbert:

there was a class action question on my civpro ii final today, and the question started out by saying something like "jane is not sure how to dismiss her case and bring it again in federal court as a class action and she comes to you for advice," so for the adequacy of representation requirement under frcp 23(a)(4) i put "her competence as a lawyer comes into question when the first person she asks about how to voluntarily dismiss a civil action is a first year law student in the middle of finals"

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Currently writing my transfer application for Minnesota and not having any luck with what to write about. What do I say other than "i really like your clinics and your school is like 100 spots up the ranking"? :sweatdrop:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

This is basically what I wrote all my personal statements about, without mentioning their spot in the rankings, of course. Most were all some variation on "I want to practice this kind of law, your school would put me in a better position to practice it because of <reasons>." Make sure you mention any ties (familial or otherwise) that you have to the area, even if it's not a "regionally-oriented" law school, or any history that you have with the law school or its underlying University, if only to make them realize that you actually care about that school in particular and aren't just spamming.

I'm in the same metro area right now so it's not an issue of location. Also I went there for undergrad, I don't know how important that would be to mention?

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

Mine was Twilight themed

:suicide:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Draile posted:

I once had a 15-person writing class where the professor gave one person an A and everyone else a B+. I thought it was a clever new take on law school grades being totally arbitrary.

our property professor gives 1 A between his two 50-person property classes :negative:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

it is literally possible to get the cali award for property with an A-

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

Anyone have good conlaw flowcharts?

I need Due Process, Federal Legislative Power (Commerce, Tenth Amendment, Taxing and Spending, 13th, 14th, 15th Amendments), Dormant Commerce Clause, and Federal Executive Power.

gently caress this gay earth.

here let me get this one out of my brain forever

Dormant Commerce Clause

short questions
1. Is activity being regulated commerce? (Gibbons v. Odgen)
2. Is the commerce interstate?
3. Has Congress spoken?

longer questions
1. If the state regulation facially discriminatory against ISC in effect or purpose, apply strict scrutiny
2. If the regulation is even-handed with only an incidental effect on ISC, the law is valid unless the burden imposed is clearly excessive in relation to the putative local benefits (Pike Test).

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

moratorium on celebrating being done with 1L classes until next thursday, tyvm

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Go to a T3 or T4 with a scholarship. If you work hard you'll be able to transfer to a T14/T1. I know plenty of people who have done it, it's really no big deal.

and hopefully you'll know one more, my applications will be complete by next week :ohdear:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

BigHead posted:

UMN Chat: Out newly super conservative Governor Pawlenty (who used to be intelligent until he wanted to be President) convinced his good friend Mr. Chief Justice of the MN Supreme Court to step down, at which point Pawlenty appointed his Whore of the Supreme Court to Chief Justice (she's a Whore because it has taker her literally less than a year to go from Assistant County Prosecutor --> County Attorney --> District Judge --> SCOMN --> CJ of SCOMN). As soon as she was appointed, Pawlenty somehow managed to nominate the loving UMN Professor Stras, who is about as dumb as a loving doornail and proudly clerked for loving Thomas to SCOMN.

Also, the reason Mr. Chief Just stepped down is because Pawlenty took less than a year at the beginning of his term to nominate his good friend to CJ as well.

God what a shitbag. If any of you vote for Pawlenty / Palin in 2012 I'm murdering your entire family.

otoh they just ruled Pawlenty's unallotments to last year's budget illegal, and now federally funded services state-wide have carte blanche to sue for lost funding, which adds up to I think $3 billion in cuts lol

I worked for the senate last year and we spent like 3 months fixing his godawful budget only to have him unilaterally gently caress it up at the 11th hour, so it was a nice ruling because I had been impotently fuming about it since last May and now... satisfaction

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

There was a serious conflict of interests the day the decision got handed down because on one hand, study for finals, on the other hand, go out and get lovely with my ex-coworkers... I studied :qq:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

soj89 posted:

You guys must have some really nutso civpro exams. Ours was 50 multiple choice 10 true false and a 5 mark short answer. What's the American one like?

3 hour closed book essay question

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

Two words: Due Diligence

:pwn:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

poofactory posted:

drat, that's harsh.

lmbo

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS I'M FREE

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Alright transfer app to Minnesota is in, if i don't hear back from them before mid-June I'm applying to Wisconsin.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

It truly is an amazing thing! Join us...join us...no bar exam...join us...

Maybe not for you, I would probably be coming back to Minnesota anyway afterward. I'm a former sconnie expat Minnesotan and, well... I take back everything bad I said about Minnesota as a kid in a juvenile desire for state rivalry. Except that it's fucktarded that they play duck-duck-grey duck instead of duck-duck-goose

but yeah I may or may not come to Wisconsin b/c I have deferred acceptance there, after my parents, landlady, all my friends, my bank, and my boss, you guys will be the first to know

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

She will, and it certainly will require a high booze tolerance, as well as the ability to drive really fast 6 feet behind the bumper of a speeding ambulance.

is that the statutory limit these days?

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

I think that's the rough distance required to (a) still be enough in the ambulance's draft to get pulled along and (b) still be far enough out to spot other accidents that might be more lucrative.

the free market works, people

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

J Miracle posted:

If you end up at a TTT somehow (fiddled the devil and lost, gypsy curse, etc) the one perk is that being in the top 5% of your class is about as challenging as managing to get whiskey from the bottle into your belly

not really imo, i p. much spend all my free time studying and i barely crack the top 10%

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, that's not true at all. Grades are kind of arbitrary and even if they weren't, the fact that you're at a TTT doesn't mean that 90-95% of your class is dumber than you.

yeah, there are dumb people here but they're definitely in the minority, and there are a number of folks that I wonder what in the world they are doing at this school (to which the answer is nearly always scholarship money). If I end up transferring it'll be interesting to compare student bodies, because some of the smartest people I know go to school at my TTT.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Woo hoo transferring to Minnesota!

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpM07PQYNns

loving owned hahahaha

haha holy friggin poo poo

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

You do not look a judge in the face- cause I don't care what you think about me you gotta respect! this! process!, and if there's anybody I expect to respect this process, it's a second year law student at the University of Miami. Verdict for the plaintiff, $450. And court costs.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Anybody ever read A Civil Action? There was a doctor in that book that charged $100/hour "sleep rate" for every night in the $500/night hotel he had to spend.

ya we read that over break for civil procedure II to show us why knowing the rules can make you own and not knowing the rules can make you look like a petulant crybaby and how letting discovery and trial preparation costs spiral out of control especially when you are being paid contingency is a Really Bad Idea

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

hey petey i transferred to the university of minnesota. did i tell you that

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

nm posted:

This isn't that impressive
I mean even I went there

i'm not bragging or anything duder I'm just telling him

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Petey posted:

Good work! Now - you must find Randbrick...

In One Month I Will Meet Randbrick

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Drunken Scourge posted:

btw is there some sort of funny or ironic name for schools that make the top 20 but not T14?

FTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

haha i never noticed that as peter pan he's just wearing a green suit