Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

entris posted:

I think a lot of people treat piracy as though it isn't wrong, but it is, and I try to point that out.

media pirates are just underdogs in a distributional struggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

entris posted:

What does it do?

legalize weed bitch

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

woo got a job clerking at a family law firm today! get ready to lose or else have greatly reduced your child support, b1tches

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

oh man, this case is perfect! it totally validates my entire arguNOTICE: THIS OPINION IS DESIGNATED AS UNPUBLISHED AND MAY NOT BE CITED EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BY MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3).

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

God drat that just happened like 3 times.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Elotana posted:

MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3) - Do you really really want to?

subd. 1 DEFINITIONS
(a) Do.
(b) You.
(c) Really.
(d) Really.
(e) Want.
(f) To.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

joat mon posted:

^^^^
Use it. Footnote it like this:
Counsel has been unable to find a published decision which directly addresses the issue before the Court. Pursuant to MINN. ST. SEC. 480A.08(3) a copy of the xxxx decision is attached and has been provided to opposing counsel.

Our highest (and only) appellate court only publishes about 30 cases a year. The unpublished cases are just about all we've got.
^^^^

Cool, thanks. I'm going to cite them but I still can't use them as precedent tho :sweatdrop:

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

*organization that is mandatory for all members of a profession to join attempts to radically change own field by making a blog post urging all its members to very, very gradually and almost undetectably alter their actions toward a more undefined and altruistic end while at the same time recognizing that the profession in its current state is inherently indispensable to reaching their goal of changing the profession* are u mother fuckers ready for the new covenant

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Unless that's for the next square...

Pennoyertron: MARCUS NEFF I HEREBY SERVE WITH YOU PROCESS IN THE STATE OF OREGON. SUBMIT TO JURISDICTION

Neff: t(-_- t)

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

Look, if the two options before you were (1) killing yourself, and (2) going to law school, and you had those scores, and asked me which of those two options would lead you to have a better/more fulfilling/happier life, I'd tell you option (1)

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

In unrelated news, I got a 33% raise at my clerkship today, and a shitload more work for this semester. I hadn't met two of the three partners, and after I did they both popped into the third partner's office where I was and went "well this is great, I have a shitload of stuff for you" verbatim, like 2 minutes after each other.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

Hey would a 3.8GPA and 90 percentile LSAT have a shot at a T13 school? I know literally nothing about US law schools other than that there's way too many of them to know or care about so

Whats the number on that LSAT precious...

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Neko Sou posted:

I was talking to a classmate at lunch today and she told a story about she'd accidentally offended a family law lawyer she had been working for by saying "I never want to be one of those attorneys who only make 40k" to which the attorney said "I only make 40k.". I told her we'd be lucky to make 40k in this economy and she tried to point me to the school's website where it showed amazing salaries for UC students but the graph isn't showing up. I tried to show her some of the stuff in the OP but she just kept saying "no no, that's national, this one was for our school". We asked a passing 3L about job prospects and salaries and he pretty much agreed with what I was saying but how can I convince her these graphics and statistics are inflated/misleading across the board? I keep getting sad because I thought we all knew what we were getting into but there are so many people who think they have a future in corporate law getting 100k+ from University of Cincinnati. :smith: I am happy to be here but I'm not kidding myself about the job market. I'm sure maybe like 3 people will get a biglaw job but people are still actively turning their noses up at 40k. There are going to be so many sad people around here at OCI next fall.

welcome to the legal profession my friend

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Stop posted:

It started September 15th I think

178/3.75 with a horrid but employable major as a back-up

those are good where'd you apply

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

builds character posted:

also, from above the law. I assume folks have seen this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

oh well nevermind!!

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Red Bean Juice posted:

Justice Breyer swung by today, and I got him to sign a comic

haha

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Lilosh posted:

To add to the ego stroking:

You also have fans at Cornell. :)

And Minnesota :O)

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

I'm doing a constitutional argument right now for work, equal protection baby *wootles heartily*

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

See STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (Paramount Pictures 1982). The film references several works of classic literature, none more prominently than A Tale of Two Cities. Spock gives Admiral Kirk an antique copy as a birthday present, and the film itself is bookended with the book’s opening and closing passages. Most memorable, of course, is Spock’s famous line from his moment of sacrifice: “Don’t grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh . . .” to which Kirk replies, “the needs of the few.”

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Direwolf posted:

Is it unhealthy to develop an immediate allegiance to Westlaw over Lexis, or should I be more open minded?

depends, in minnesota most firms only really have westlaw but thats because its headquartered here. i alternate semesters with them just in case

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Not going to click this because I'm in the library, but I'm going to wager that it's a relevant Seinfeld link

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Mookie posted:

I did a circuit court clerkship :smug:

So among everyone in this thread, we have various state court clerks, and all the various federal courts except the Supreme Court, but that's one thing that if you have to ask, you don't need to know.

My civ pro professor clerked for Justice Burger, he went to NYU and worked for Dorsey & Whitney before that, I'm not sure how he got the clerkship though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Hey has anyone here done JAG? What was your experience with it like?