Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Linguica posted:

new chartz :swoon:
Are there figures for other schools, or are these just the top schools to place Article III clerks? Becuase I understand that I need to essentially be the top of the top 5% to even be considered for an Article III clerkship for where I'm going, and that poo poo just won't happen. But I can't believe W&L is on there but not W&M. Dammit.

builds character posted:

This is important.
Probably the single greatest thing I've read in any of these threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Linguica posted:

edit: "There are currently 875 authorized Article III judgeships." So about 2 clerks per judge?
Makes sense. Every judge has at least one, the important judges get two (or more if they're super special, I guess). At least, that's how I've seen it work in district court down here.

Using the USNWR numbers with the average class size as found on W&M's website, about 8 students per year go from W&M to an Article III clerkship. Can I be one of those lucky few? No.

Will I build up a secret hope throughout my LS career that I can achieve this coveted and nearly-impossible dream, only to have it all come crashing down in a cacophony of binge drinking and bitter jobless tears? Oh, yes. I do believe so.

e:

IrritationX posted:

That might even be a little conservative. The Article III judges here in Denver all have two, and three isn't unheard of.
District Court in SC compensates for your clerk shenanigans. Granted, my sample size is only Charleston, so I don't know what the other cities' judges have in terms of clerks - but I would imagine only Columbia or maybe Greenville would have a larger clerk:judge ratio than Charleston.

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 7, 2010

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

builds character posted:

:lost:
SC Clerks are Candidates, the President is Jacob, the nomination process is the Island, the MiB are opposing party senators.

No, no, no...

Opposing counsels are Candidates, the act of granting certiorari is Jacob, the Supreme Court is the Island, the MiB is Scalia dissenting opinion.

No, no, no...

Personal judicial philosophies are Candidates, career politicians are Jacob, judicial review is the Island, the MiB is the non-legally educated populous.

No, no, no...

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

HolySwissCheese posted:

My LRW final was legit lost-themed, I had to represent Hugo Reyes, sole proprietor of Reyes of Light vs John Locke, representative of the Island Condominium Poject
That's awesome.

Alaemon posted:

My torts 2 final was Buffy themed. She got sent to a boot camp for troubled teens and there was some agency law involved and I can't remember what else.
That's even more awesome.

Incredulous Red posted:

Mine was Twilight themed
gently caress that professor.

Did you guys just answer the questions straight, or add in little thematic quips? "Respondent John Locke is at fault because of X, Y and Z legal reasonings. Plus, he's not even really a living American, and more of a nebulous ball of black and malicious smoke, and thus not subject to the legal protections of representation." or "While the agency law fails to hold up to legal scrutiny, we must keep in mind that the plaintiff is what could be described as a real-life superhero, and thus must be treated with a stronger hand to show that the world we have built and the agencies operating within it will not crumble before preternatural strength."

TheAttackSlug posted:

Got paying job for 2L summer at prosecutors.

:master:
That's pretty cool, congrats. Any idea as to what you'll be doing?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I like to think that this thread is simply a representation of the legal field at large: filled with hypersensitive egos and long-winded discussions about something or another that inadvertently offended someone's feelings, requiring at least some amount of input from all those within earshot (billables!), while not so secretly most of us just want to praise tacos and drink.

Speaking of which, I saw a Chipotle for the first time in my life last weekend in my visit up to Williamsburg. Didn't go in, because someone itt said it was trash after it was brought up as a potentially viable taco vendor to frequent.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I'm looking at this profile on okcupid and at first I'm like she seems pretty cool but then I get to this

I don't....know what to do. I want to save her but....I don't think I can
I don't understand you. If I was in your position I think I would be going to colleges to tell seniors to sign up for their local T4 law school because it's a sure-fire bet to big money, fast cars, loose women and societal/peer respect. And it's spiritually rewarding and you get to totally pick your clients and cases.

Because, jesus, man. How are you not at that point?

We all float down here.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

newberstein posted:

I am Mexican.

quote:

a 3.4 GPA

quote:

the 168-172 range
You're great for the top half of the T-14. Get 175+ and you'll be sitting pretty for T5, I'd bet. I think "Mexican" is the most sought after URM at the moment - if my memory serves me correctly from when I was looking into it several months ago - so your race will definitely boost the fact that your UGPA isn't close to 4.0.

Unless if your uncle somehow has major pull with somebody that matters in the law school, he's a non-issue. Doesn't really matter, since you're doing just fine on your own.

If I were you, I'd think long and hard about why I wanted to be a lawyer. And then I would make sure that that's actually what lawyers do. And then I'd go to the highest ranked T14 that would give me a (nearly) full ride. Just don't gently caress up your LSAT and it's entirely possible. Good luck.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

gvibes posted:

5) Don't try to get all your fellow summers to start a mutiny against your firm in protest.
Is there a story behind this?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

nous_ posted:

I just graduated,
Everything Ainsley said. Also: if you're entertaining the thought of law school, working for a firm enables you to see what a slice of the legal profession is like - which can and will help you make a better life decision in terms of attending law school (or not).

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Deposition summaries of drug addicts make me want to turn Republican.

God drat liars.

e: and holy hell they don't know how to shut up.
e2: five minute break between summaries used for SA or coffee run? I made the right choice.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Find a motion for summary judgment someone else wrote and ape the relevant parts.

Remember when you're at work, plagiarism is encouraged and efficient instead of a bad thing.
Probably an obvious point to add to this, but try to find a MSJ written by the attorney you're writing it for and, in lieu of that, an attorney from the same team.

If your office has an awesome electronic document network, your search just got 10x easier.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

helpful :words:
So, I don't understand. Don't you actually detest your small(ish?) law job? That's how your posts come across when you're talking about your lot in life. But you're always here with really insightful advice when it comes to what it means to be a lawyer/the legal field/the actual practice of law. The two don't seem to gel. (e: Maybe I'm conflating knowledge of those aspects with a positive interest in being a laywer?)

I feel like you're the strange and hypothetical creation of a situation where builds character and Phil micowhateverthenameis had a child and it grew to be older than the two of them. You have character's zeal for the job but Phil's detest for [some aspects of] the profession... simultaneously.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

The Warp posted:

Hello, I had a question that my girlfriend is kind of embarrassed to ask. She just recently graduated from Berkeley with a dual major, but alas the best Law School she can get accepted to right now is LaVerne or Western State University.

Can anyone help her choose between these two? She feels like it's all kind of pointless and that she should just pick whichever one gives her a slightly better scholarship, but I figured I'd ask you guys, my goony professional heroes :allears:
Hello, my name is Green Crayons, and while you don't know me, you can assume I speak for everyone on this thread. Therefore, our response is: Neither. Neither. Neither. Never in a million years. If you girlfriend really wants to be a lawyer, she can wait one more loving year and retake the LSAT so she actually makes it over 160. While most everyone else in this thread will say that 170+ is necessary (to hit the T14), I would say that if it is your calling to be a lawyer then 160 is acceptable because you will be a lawyer even in the shitlaw that you will undoubtedly siphon yourself into (additionally, and for full disclosure, the 160+ requirement makes it acceptable for me to attend law school so that's why I approve the less restrictive LSAT requirement with the addendum that it's your calling in life) - this is, of course, only acceptable if you use your 160+ to go to a T30, but even then with the understanding that you're really just loving playing slots with your goddamn future and you better loving want to be a lawyer because that incredibly boorish joke about blowjobs isn't as funny when you want a job and things are looking bleak (I believe we have at least one resident expert in this area, which I'm sure will pipe up if you continue your insistence; additionally, please check the OP).

You should tell your girlfriend that she probably doesn't know what a real lawyer does, and should take her extra year off to work in a law firm in some degree (legal assistant, paralegal, courier... loving anything) to make sure she knows to some reasonable degree as to what Actual Lawyers do and she really wants to do that for the Rest of Her God Damned Life. Since your girlfriend when to Berkeley for undergrad, I will make the assumption that she is smart. If being a lawyer and arguing over boring-as-poo poo-facts isn't her calling (fun anecdotal case-in-point: my office managing partner (you know, the guy who brings in the loving rain every time he breathes?) just had a month-and-a-half argument with opposing counsel concerning their client's physical address), feel free to call her out on making a major life mistake without any sense of guilt for doing so.

e:fb. Story of my life.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

The Warp posted:

Jesus Christ. I've read the opening posts, so I had a very bad feeling about the futility in all of this, but I will show her this again and hopefully we can make the best decision possible. If you have any more advice for her, please give it. She's on the verge of deciding to attend one of these schools. No, she's not dumb at all. I'm sure her LSAT was okay, I think it might be that her GPA was just under 3.5. She's asian. She majored in Rhetoric and Media Studies.

She applied on time, in a very organized manner, she definitely had her poo poo together. She thinks that all of the analysis is a little pointless, because she feels like she's already committed to at least going to one of these schools, and she just wants to know which one.
All gooniness aside, I'm assuming you and your girlfriend have some sort of special connection where you actually care about her and her future. I would have a serious conversation where the two of you talk about your futures and you explain to her that 1. the overall job economy is poo poo 2. the legal economy is lagging behind the general economy and so is especially poo poo 3. the California economy is in a prolonged lovely economic cycle and so is exceptionally especially poo poo therefore 4. she needs to attend at the very least a T1 school (honestly, it needs to be a T-50 if she is a die-hard I MUST BE A LAWYER; and, even then, if she must be a lawyer one must ask why can't she get into a T-30?), and, even then, a T-14 school at the lowest price possible. Honestly, I can empathize with having some sort of life plan where you need to be a lawyer by X-age (which is why I'm being dumb and going to a T-30 with my sub-170 LSAT), but I"m assuming your gal isn't 27 (being a new, 30+ y/o lawyer seems a bit of a waste to me, but that's just because I'm prejudicial to age I guess). She can, should and needs to retake the LSAT if she actually wants to be a lawyer... hell, even if she's older than 27.

quote:

She's Chinese, and I'm not sure what her LSAT was. She doesn't like her options as far as Law School is concerned, because she's not dumb, but she's hoping she can transfer a notch up after the first year or so. She's the kind of girl that likes to make a plan and stick with it, and make the best of it, so I'm hoping we can figure something out.
Are you a troll or did the transfer portion of the OP just fall into oblivion? Going into law school, you have to assume you will not be transferring. If you're planning on transferring, wave that goodbye. Don't factor that into your plans. Sure, it might happen, but only if you're a special snowflake (you aren't) and you'll only transfer to an actually good school if you're a super rare special snowflake that can't be found in the red or blue editions of pokemon (you definitely aren't). In other words, it's better to take an extra year off, retake the LSAT, enjoy life, get 170+ after studying your rear end off (a precursor to law school, I'm sure), and then continue on.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Vander posted:

Yup. And the judge just handed to briefs of the movants and told me to write him an order for consolidation. It's my 4th day!
The judge didn't ask for proposed orders? Tsk, tsk.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Dude, just hit 170 on the LSAT and then let your Uncle know. You're Mexican, you've got an above average GPA, you'll be fine.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

newberstein posted:

I know I shouldn't be worrying this much but I just wanted a little reassurance. I was thinking about taking him out to lunch but wasn't sure if my intentions would be too obvious. "Hey I flew across the country just to chat"

Pompoon posted:

Could you go with a "hey I'd like to talk with you about what it's like to go to this school/be a lawyer, want to do lunch and talk about it"?
I'm going to have to agree with Pompoon, here. Your intentions would be obvious, but, frankly, that isn't really a bad thing. You've already established that your relationship with your uncle is distanced at best (I'm assuming not because of any animosity, just geographic separation or something as similarly neutral). Offer to take him out to lunch while working in his offer to remind him what the lunch will be about. Just treat it as an (exceptionally friendly) business lunch. A precursor of things that might be, so to speak.

Granted, I think it's odd that you would need to fly across the country to have lunch with your uncle. Don't drop a couple of hundred in airplane fees just to have the chance to take your uncle out to lunch. But if it's easy and you're going to be in the same town as he is for whatever reason, offer to take him out re: his recommendation.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Will schools care that after a five year break I came back and kicked rear end, or will they only care about the 3.46?
Write an addendum, because their main focus will be on your final UGPA. The 4.09 is neat, but isn't what will be reported to US News. Just utilize your addendum (not the personal statement) to talk about how now you're a total academic powerhouse and you've learned from your mistakes. Ninja edit: Some schools - such as Emory, if I recall correctly - will request/require additional essays, which may focus on large gaps in an academic career. Obviously, if this is the case, utilize the additional essay to talk about how now you're a total academic powerhouse, etc. instead of the addendum.

I was trying to imagine what would be a fun company to work in-house for as litigation counsel. I came up with Nintendo, Disney and Google, but then realized I never hear about them in any sort of lawsuit. This led me to wonder: Is that because they have awesome PR working 24/7 or is it because they actually really don't deal with lawsuits and employ in-house for pretty much only transactional capacities?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

builds character posted:

Disney, Nintendo and Google - IP IP IPIPIPIPI IPIPI PIIP IP IP IPIPIPIPPIP.
For some reason I have the notions that 1. getting into IP law is difficult because it requires additional education outside of a JD and 2. that the IP field, in general, is shrinking.

I don't know why I have these notions or where I got them from, but they don't really seem to gel with what you just described. Are they incorrect?

gvibes posted:

Google had a bunch of IP openings recently, but apparently their pay sucks. Also, I don't want to move to nocal.
Didn't realize about the pay - but isn't inhouse just generally lower/mediocre across the board? I only remember reading about them being an awesome employer. Granted, the article wasn't for Google lawyers, so maybe the attorneys were relegated to the lovely spaces while all of the tech savvy employes got blowjobs and whatever.

rsvandy posted:

Google has a couple of very high profile issues going on right now...like the Google Books lawsuit issue and the Viacom-Youtube lawsuit.
I actually knew about these two, I'm just apparently unable to connect news stories to the fact that they require litigation. Or maybe I shouldn't post in the morning.

entris posted:

I would like to hear the backstory to this.
"My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi. And then I wanted to go to LAW SCHOOL X."

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

No one actually reads the poo poo you file, not your bosses, not your local counsel, nor the judge. The only people who read what you file are opposing counsel and only so they can bill. They won't pass it on to their clients until the eve of trial.
Every time I read your posts, I become further convinced practing law in Texas must be the worst.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

We actually sent a letter to a judge in regards to a summary judgment that (paraphrased) stated, "Hey, there's over 300 pages filed for this summary judgment. There's another point that needs to be addressed but do you even want to read the briefing?"

"No."
The MSJ for what would become one of the largest civil judgments in SC wasn't even 300 pages. Maybe the problem is the fact that you're taking too long to get to the point.

:smug:

I don't know gently caress-all what I'm talking about.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Eh, grain of salt. I just like bitching.
Hey, I fully support complaining to the internet all you want. In my opinion, the best cycle of these threads are the actual practice/clerking/client stories.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

BigHead posted:

I think I just got my first work. A friend of mine is trying to sell his home-made halfpipe (for skateboarding) on Craigslist and asked me advice for writing up something to release him from liability. I told him to gently caress off since I don't pass the bar until next month - knock on wood - but then he offered to actually pay me. I haven't the slightest idea about anything, but I said I'll go for it!

Oh, god.
Tell him you could totally write up a release in the here and now, but doing such a thing would be not only unethical but also grounds for you being disbarred as soon as you were to pass the bar (I don't know if the latter is entirely true, but I doubt he does either so feel free to talk out of your rear end embellish what sounds approximately correct). Tell him to be patient and wait one month to sell his undoubtedly totally bitchin' halfpipe until after you pass the bar.

Use the next month to study for the bar. After you drag yourself out of the drunken haze you'll undoubtedly find yourself post-bar exam, just look up random Release Agreements on the internet and piece together something that looks pretty official. I would guess it would take about an hour. Tell him you'll give him a discount because he's a friend and charge him $50.

Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life! :v:

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

builds character posted:

There is a difference between passing the bar and being admitted to the bar. You have to be admitted before you can practice.
So, the process is: you take the bar, pass the bar and then you have to be admitted to the bar? What's between passing and being admitted? Is that when the character and fitness/background check comes into play?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
But you'll have to sell it. So you'll need to be heartbroken for like a month. But you need to sell that you're an awesome associate even in the face of personal life tragedy, so only one of those days you need to show up mildly disheveled and stick to your office with the door closed, while the other 29 days you bill 15-20 hour days because you needed to lose yourself in your work to get over your heartbreak. If you catch yourself chuckling at any office humor, bite your tongue and bring tears to your eyes so they will know that you're laughing to mask the pain. Also, try to perfect "dead eyes" when having face-to-face conversations with peers.

Sounds like an awful amount of lying.

edit: Look, new page. Here's some more content!

I wish law school would start already. I'm tired of waiting. I just want to be in the thick of hating myself.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

I think my hatred for law school has actually exceeded my hatred for myself. Bar torts, every single course I've ever taken has been wholly useless outside of the classroom. I actually use my undergraduate major more on a day-to-day basis than I do my legal education. Law school is less about teaching you how to be a lawyer than a professor waxing over the topics that they're interested in while not teaching you a loving thing about the law as practiced.
I'm hoping knowing this before hand will undercut the severity of the impact. Another three year hoop to jump through that exposes me to a shitload of information that's interesting on a theoretical level but will have absolutely no impact on my actual life? After grade school and undergrad, this is really getting old hat and really just feels par for the course for any type of formal education I've ever experienced.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Family law is horrible. You don't want to do it unless you have a personality disorder. Everyone always ends up hating you, even your own client. Watching the kids get punted around like a football is the worst, especially when the clients start accusing each other of abusing the kids, real or imagined.
When people ask me what kind of law I want to practice I don't go into a lengthy tirade about how my relatively limited exposure to two different types of defense work has shown me appealing aspects to both and I could easily see myself working in one field or the other for a lengthy period of my life, but this is all really conjecture because with the economy the way it is and my ultimate dream job in the legal field I don't think I would mind a prosecution gig and that's really giving myself more undue credit than anything else because those things are hard to come by and holy crap plaintiff's work would be more appealing than unemployment so I guess that's the bottom of the barrel but what would be really sweet would be to clerk for a judge I really like for a few years while weighing my options, and then somehow fall into academia after a decade or so of civil defense but that shouldn't discredit all of the other imaginary options that this question inherently assumes to exist because often times I feel like a kid in a candy store with all of the different career life paths I could take but the sucker punch of reality which is always a byproduct of thinking this through thanks to your god damned question really puts a damper in my sails and oh god I'm going to be in so much debt and some of these assholes on Facebook that I've been stalking about once a week who are going to be my future class peers are going to do better than me because I'm not a snowflake and grading is arbitrary makes me irrationally angry and I have to bottle that poo poo up inside because I can't let anyone see that random people on the god drat internet I haven't even met yet bother me with their incredibly positive smiling profile pictures and holy god what the gently caress I started out answering this question on a positive note where have I taken it?

No. I only say, "You know, just not family law."

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, I just skimmed (what am I a student?) a back and forth about a totally awesome action movie. Lay down some judgments concerning someone getting mad about paint drying or something.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

A litigator.
The best kind of lawyering.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

No joke. TV lawyers will refer you their cases if they get a 40% cut.
Those aren't real lawyers.

e: and Hookars is better than them.

e2: A few years ago one of the local tv lawyers was sued by his client because his client didn't think his lawyer was trying to get the most money for his client and instead was simply operating a revolving door business where defense lawyers knew he would settle a case at a lower acceptable rate than normal just to speed up the process. Go figure, right? At any rate, in the deposition of this tv lawyer, he admitted to having gone to trial only once and having never taken the deposition of any witness in his 20+ years of practice. gently caress tv lawyers. e3: and he's still raking in business.

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 19, 2010

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Wikipedia'd Shapiro and loled. I wasn't referring to him, so either I've heard a fictional localized version of Shapiro with inserted local attorney names or that's just par for the course for the actions of a large number of tv attorneys.

I'd put my money on the latter.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
So, what benefits come with a lateral move? Is it just hoping your next batch of peers aren't as big of assholes as your current group, or is just a location thing, or what?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
"I like to work diligently and extensively but without the pressure of needing to strive for a more oustanding title/higher payscale/bigger office in an environment where peers work competitively instead of cooperatively. Working hard in what others would call a "dead-end job" is, for me, a rewarding career path where my hard work and teamwork will pay off in a sense of a job well done rather than material success or another notch on one's belt to climb some corporate capitalist's wet-dream of a ladder. After all, the job itself is the reward and the only acknowledgement I need of my accomplishments is the mere retention of my current position."

:smug:

Did I make it too far of a stretch?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

builds character posted:

I don't know who you're replying to but do not ever do this.
What the gently caress, man. You hiring bigwigs need to stop changing the game every two minutes.

Click here for the full 570x737 image.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

amishsexpot posted:

I don't know. I'm still really confused about what I want out of my future, but I feel like I'm 25 and I'm pretty much going to be dead soon. I don't want to waste my time and not have the money/resources to be able to support my future family, and I don't want to be the type that ends up marrying for money just to survive.
If you do not have a passion to become a lawyer, then do not go to law school. If your posts are any indication, you do not have a passion to become a lawyer. You're just confused as to how you want your life to pan out. Do not go to law school.

Also, if you're struggling on $55-60k/year - which is what is suggested by this notion that your current pay rate would somehow force you to "marry for money" - and I'm assuming you don't have any dependents draining your funds, you should probably invest in a money management class intead of any sort of higher education. It would probably help you a lot more in the long run. e: I understand that you're in NY and the COL is pretty high, but feeling as if you need to marry for money while bringing in $60k at the age of 25 means you're doing something wrong.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

amishsexpot posted:

I've heard the husband pays all her expenses. I don't want to be like that, if I can help it.

CaptainScraps posted:

A more realistic case is you go to law school, place in the middle of your class and work like a dog for $60K a year, assuming you get a job.
Unless if you really want to be a lawyer for the sake of being a lawyer (because, outside of loving the work, there really aren't any positives to becoming a lawyer from your current position), then don't go to law school. Certainly don't go to law school to become more financially secure. Because of all of the things law school/being a lawyer will do to you, it will not do that.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Adar posted:

I'm just gonna toss this out there: veteran attorneys practicing in Texas probably have a better read on "things that will probably piss the formerly small town judge off and make him perfunctorily deny your motions for the next two decades out of spite" than you do.

It may not be this particular motion, but there are plenty of things that seem like the right thing to do in a legal practice that are not things you would actually want to do IRL.
Uh, what are you doing? Stop this.

I'm waiting for Scraps to finally give us an elated post about how he went behind his boss' back and filed his awesome MSJ because he knows its the right thing to do and how he's writing this post while currently kicking back smoking a cigar getting his dick sucked and waiting for his boss to come in and say that they won the case and that he's sorry and he's giving Scraps a bonus on top of his bonus and apologizes for not understanding Scraps' awesome case strategy and that there's a place open in the firm for Scraps as soon as he graduates from LS with no roadblocks between Scraps and equity partner.

And then? Then I can't wait for the post that comes two hours after that. It will be delicious.

So stop messing with my stories, man.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

You laugh but when Scraps inevitably gets elected as President Of The Law you'll be sorry
I don't know about that. I'm a pretty legitimate fan of Scraps' posts ITT. Whether he hits the jackpot (as much as one can, I suppose - President of The Law, indeed) or crashes and burns, I'll definitely be reading The Scraps Saga between my bouts of drunken fits, wondering if this is the post where he bursts a blood vessel in an eye from his excessive and voluminous aggravation.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

HooKars posted:

Okay everyone. Let's try REALLY hard to help me get this job. I know we went over good questions to ask during interviews awhile back but does anyone have any other good ones - specifically for someone not entering the summer program.
I think my favorite was the one along the lines of "Are there any questions that I have not hit on that you wish I would have asked?" It's more of a closer than anything but it certainly does sound like a well polished "Did I miss anything?"

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

2. I don't want to do law because a lot of stuff is counter to common sense, and I don't want to change my way of thinking for work.
I don't understand how this even makes sense in relation to what a lawyer does.

GamingHyena posted:

I feel sorry for the guy, but babysitting isn't in my job description and I'm starting to give him fewer and fewer assignments because I'm tired of spending unnecessary hours cleaning up after his mistakes.

Advice?
In a "I'm not a lawyer but this is my two cents anyways" way, my position would be to continue doing what you're doing: diminishing the number of projects your handing him. If you feel inclined to do so, I would mention something to whoever this intern's mentor is so that they can have the appropriate conversation if deemed necessary.

You should in no way feel compelled to continue to give assignments to someone you know who will fail miserably. Maybe if you wanted to babysit and explain how he's screwing things up and help him along then continuing to hand him projects would make sense. However, as you have already stated, that isn't your responsibility and you shouldn't feel compelled to extend yourself to establish that sort of mentor relationship.

:colbert:

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
bleep bloop i want to be a lawyer to churn out x>y profit, where x is money made and y is money spent on hookers and blow bleep bloop