Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok guy, tone police this email for me before I send it:

Dear OC,

I did see that you called. Since it appears you only wanted to demand vociferously that my client dismiss it's lawsuit against yours, it appears I saved us both time by not returning your call.

I actually thought you wanted to discuss the opportunity I had offered your other client to testify about her agreement to conspire with the one you're now also representing to commit fraud against my client, and the tortious interference your new client engaged in.

Since your motion asks for sanctions against me for filling a "frivilous lawsuit", I thought it only fair that I advise you of the risk of being disbarred over the conflict of interests you've decided to take on.

Regards,
An Annoyed Blarzgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"tone police" is shorthand at my firm for drafting, but not actually sending a cathartic email.

This is one of those lawyers who's response to literally everything is to claim its baseless, frivolous, demand it be dismissed, ask for sanctions, etc.

To my demand letter to the other client, her response was, "If you do not issue a letter of withdrawal of your demand and an immediate letter of apology I will be filing a lawsuit against you and your client for sanctions and malicious prosecution!."

Shut up, dumbass.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm going to quit this poo poo, I'm a terrible businessman.

How do you say "Jesus loving christ I'm not finalizing your divorce until you pay me you loving deadbeat? NO, two weeks later isn't acceptable because then you'll just avoid me."

Hire a bookeeper or something part time. Tell them, "Ok, you tell me that as soon as a client gets behind on a bill that I'm not allowed to keep working until they pay." Then tell the client, "Look, it's not my fault, I WANT to finalize this but my bookkeeper says I'm not allowed to keep working on the file until you pay."

This bookkeeper may or may not be imaginary.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

She sounds like a standard big talking dallas lawyer who likes to say dramatic poo poo because it bullies idiot baby lawyers into doing what you want and looks good for clients.

Even worse: a bottom-feeder solo who works in Carrollton or something who's a terrible lawyer that thinks imitating Dallas lawyers is a productive strategy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My niche area has a relatively small bar. My agency is by far the largest condemning authority in the State, so we see a lot of the same people on the other side.

In Dallas, it's all pretty chill. No one is going after anyone's license, threatening sanctions, etc. Cases settle or they don't, and a trial doesn't ruin the relationship.

In Houston it's the opposite. Everyone (including my office) plays games. Everyone is always worried about what the other side will do. People take their full 6 hours in a depo. Trials are merciless. No one agrees to continuances or extensions. And there are often sanctions and bar complaints bandied about.

Why the hell are the two cities so different ?

Dallas is like that in Civil Lit, but my experience with Real Estate and particularly Condemnation in North Texas is all pretty chill.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Could one of you patent turbo-nerds explain this in terms I can understand because it sounds interesting.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
So my application to patent "high quality shitposting" is about to gain new legs??

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You mean soccer

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just got semi-rejected from the last state job I interviewed with. They could have hired me now, but instead told me to contact them again after I'm accepted to the bar and I'll be in consideration the next time a spot opens up. All state jobs have the option to hire immediately so long as you're sworn in within 12 months. I'm getting sworn in September. :smith:

What about the other gig?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I aspire to one day be interesting enough for people to care to Doxx.

come to my house, we'll gently caress, whoever you are

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Ok, but you're bottoming.

I'm a 'power bottom'

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm confident in saying no one in this thread has as many Fortnite wins as me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I thought you had to be born in the 2000s to play that

My brother's restaurant caters to Epic a bunch, they got him to download it when it was first released and he talked me into playing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

I feel like this belongs here.

I wonder what three word phrase he decided was "just a bit too far" that he had to black it out

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Toothless ol peepaw in the garage, grumbling to himself while affixing the shiny new gold letters he bought at hobby lobby on Saturday, "Frgglelgl, harumph 'black lives matter' my rear end, goldamngit how bout 'all lives matter' you dummies god drat welfare rippin suns o..... hey wait! GOD DAMNIT, MABLE GET THE BLACK SPRAY PAINT"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Its almost August and I’m in Texas so every time Mr. Nice types “fallback” I read it as “fullback.” It makes his posts more confusing and more entertaining.

Blue fifty-two! Hut!

Its only 94 right now in Fort Worth which is like 15 degrees cooler than the past two weeks so thats nice.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Consensus is it’s cooled down enough to go hunt hogs at my buddy’s place near college station this weekend.

No I’m not talking about picking up Aggie girls.

That's where I'm from! I grew up off OSR.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck this is my favorite post

I re-read the posts and I still don't get it, it won't be funny if you have to explain it to me but do anyway please

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
LOL

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
That's his name, junior associate!

I prefer 'partner'

We made the dog partner

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Don't listen to this hag, he knows the wood spirits are the only ones that can defeat him.

A Witcher: Wild Hunt reference!?

Thats impressive and all, but I built some bookshelves this weekend, if you could use some pointers

(next: replace that ugly rear end fan)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The most dangerous game.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
All I can say is it varies widely based on the nature of the claims themselves. What are you looking at, typically?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There is only one thing more fun for me than people asking for a jury trial on a class C misdemeanor case (and actually showing up and actually refusing the deal after looking at the video) and thats when a Sovereign Citizen comes in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

I feel like your best strategy would be to repeatedly emphasize to the jurors that the defendant asked for a jury trial and his dumb rear end is the reason they’re stuck hearing a speeding ticket case.

It absolutely is.

"Now, ladies and gentlemen, you understand that even though this is just a speeding ticket, the Defendant technically has the right to ask you all to miss work to come down here at 8:30 in the morning and be here today. Nobody is going to going to hold that against the Defendant today, right? (lol)"

The other thing is just to object to literally everything the pro se tries to do, (i.e. trying to testify themselves during cross examination of the cop, trying to testify during closing statements, trying to offer pictures from their phone as evidence, etc) until they get so frustrated they just give up and sit there the rest of the trial.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

yronic heroism posted:

I assume a Texas jury isn’t too bad for the state unless it’s prosecuting someone for giving a toddler an AR-15 or w/e.

I've done about 10 civil (real) jury trials and about 10 misdemeanor (lol) jury trials and in my limited experience Texas juries are pretty diverse in terms of opinion and voire dire is more important than the make-up of your panel. The last big civil jury trial had like 5 young dudes on it and it was very anti-government which was good for us.

Its hard for me to get a good read on misdemeanor panels because a) I've never lost one b/c they're so easy and b) the people that ask for a jury trial over a speeding ticket only do it because they think the ticket will get dismissed if they do and are guilty as poo poo and the video is 100% clear as day, and like a dog that finally catches the mail truck, have no idea what to do when they actually get there.

The closest I've ever had was a young guy who "just wanted to see what it was like." who came in a suit and presented himself well, and even managed to cross examine the cop a little bit, but when the GPS speed on the cop's dash cam showed he had to go 92mph to pace with the guy to pull him over there's nothing you can do.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

incogneato posted:

I'm forever sad that I have never once been called for jury duty. And I assume now, if I am called, I'd just be booted because I'm a lawyer. I unironically would love to be on a jury.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I actually did jury trials myself.

The only time I was ever called, I got empaneled, and immediately raised my hand and said "I'm an attorney" and got tossed.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Dealing with enough real estate litigation, here is my theory:

The Facts
- He's the defendant
- He's being sued for breach of a 'real estate contract'
- They're seeking damages, but not to enforce a lien against the house, or to compel the sale, because otherwise jxd would be mandatory in his county.
- about one year ago, he got out of a rental unit
- The Plaintiff is an LLC from three counties over

The Theory
- He signed up to buy a house from some flip and rip beat that buys lovely houses or foreclosure houses for cash and then tries to sell them for a little bit more cash. We know its not a construction contract (no lien, no jxd) and its not for specific performance (no jxd).
- They require a big earnest money deposit because once people find out what a piece of poo poo house they signed up to buy, they try to back out, thus forfeiting their earnest money.
- He thought he could beat the system, and found out what a piece of poo poo house he signed up to buy, and/or can't get financing because the house is a piece of poo poo, and is trying to back out of the deal and refuses to sign off on the escrow agent releasing the earnest money.
- The Plaintiff doesn't want to force the sale through, they just want to keep the earnest money (which is called "earnest money" because its supposed to show you're "earnest" about wanting to buy the property) and then sell the house to the next poor sap who comes along thinking they can beat the system. Either that or he REALLY hosed up and somehow got the escrow to release the earnest money back to him.
- The Plaintiff is suing to get the earnest money released to them or given back to them, and for incidentals, and for attorneys fees.
- His "plan" is to show all the defects with the house and other problems and he thinks thats gonna be the winner for him and an attorney would just screw that up.

Bonus points for predictions that:
- He used the money he won from his other lawsuit for the earnest money
- He waived getting an inspector because he could "look through the house just fine himself."
- He "Thought about buying a house at a foreclosure sale first..."
- He read the "As Is" part of the contract already, but that doesn't matter because..."

Once he starts trolling our post histories and finds this, I'm sure he'll confirm or deny!

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 3, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the most egregious post I have here is?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

My friend used to work there (they fired him two weeks before his pre-planned resignation date for said new hire as well) which is I why I know.

They sound like dicks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I do real estate litigation, commercial litigation, and general civil litigation but I'll be goddamned if you omit "traffic ticket attorney" from my listing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My first post: Aug 12, 2014 04:32pm to My last post: August 8, 2018 08:38am

Goodnight, sweet thread.

There, you happy?

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 8, 2018