Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibtiger
May 25, 2009
Well, this was the last post in the old thread so I'll post it again here:

quote:

Alright law goons, here's your chance to talk another poor soul out of US law schools. I got rejected from Osgoode today, so it's Dalhousie for me, which I'm fine with- that's not the issue. I've been linking the sources you guys have been providing as to how awful the US profession is to my girlfriend (who is American, went to school here which is where we met). She is still thinking about several US schools, the "best" of which being Notre Dame with no scholarships (so insane debt, like 150k plus all told).

I've been trying to convince her that Canada would be a better idea- she's accepted at Dal too. But she wants hard statistics demonstrating it, like the ones that were linked a couple pages ago about percentage of people getting offers and only 3% of firms hiring 3Ls. But I honestly have been looking around and I cannot find anything- I don't know if my Google-fu is just too weak or stats like that are just not obsessively collected like they are in the US, but the Canadian Bar Association doesn't have anything, and I don't know any other organizations that would.

Anyone have any idea where I can get some good information like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibtiger
May 25, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Are you two Americans or Canadians? The advice I gave above isn't quite as applicable to international students because they'll pay a fair bit more for tuition at most Canadian schools.
I'm Canadian, she's American. We will get married if we go to school together, so those will apply, but for a year at most.

Sibtiger
May 25, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Finding solid Canadian employment numbers is basically impossible. The best you'll usually find are surveys run by each school's CSO, but even then you'll get like a 40% no-reply rate.
Yeah, I've been wondering if that's the case. Kind of strange, and I don't like relying on anecdotal evidence, but I'll do my best.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

edit: Hey Sib, sucks about the rejection from Osgoode. If it makes you feel better, they just moved to a holistic system and the admission chances have become completely random. Also the school sucks right now because the entire building is locked down and under construction. Even our library was packed away into boxes, though some materials were moved onto stacks in the basement of a nursing building :v:
I had heard about the construction, actually. And yeah, I can see how I wouldn't do so well in a "holistic" system, I don't have a whole lot outside of my marks. Honestly though it was already a toss-up between the two in my mind so it wasn't a big deal- I was already leaning towards Dalhousie for a few reasons.

I'm actually pretty excited about moving to Halifax (though I would prefer to be going with my girlfriend), I loved the city when we went to visit. And I actually got to talk to the recruiter at FMC and she said that the two schools are pretty much seen as the same quality education-wise, but the atmosphere at Dal was likely to be a lot more supportive.

I don't really foresee anyway I won't be going, so if the OP wants to include me as a 0L, feel free.