Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

billion dollar bitch posted:

By looking at the (smarter) kid next to her's paper.

How does this work? Everyone's tests are different/rearranged, so copying off a bubble sheet won't do any good. I personally cheated by going back to previous sections when I had extra time, and used a mechanical pencil instead of a #2 wooden pencil, but copying would never work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

GregNorc posted:

How common is it to be able to arrange something like this:
http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/tuition/assistance/

I'd do a JD in a second if I could get tuition assistance in exchange for doing public service work, that's the whole reason I'm looking at law to begin with...

:(

At least I've got solid backup plans for after undergrad (infosec consulting, and/or an Engineering and Public Policy doctorate) but I can't shake the feeling law would be a very fulfilling path if it wasn't for the massive, crippling debt, (coupled with the low pay assuming I could finagle get some sort of cyberlaw/eff style gig)

I can't really beat myself up too bad though... "Being the next JZ" is probably a bit ambitious of a goal...

this is an elaborate troll, and this thread falls for it over and over

e- isn't this the 5th time? there are 50 negative responses, he won't say anything, and in a month he'll go on and on about this JZ dude again and being a cyborg lawyer with a PhD in internet hacking

_areaman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 17, 2010

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Honestly, at this point I feel like we already all get the message. I am just going to stick my head in the sand and not listen to all this depressing crap, because it's really too late now.

Here's my school of hard knocks folder for when I want to scare people

Back to square one: After 60 job applications, honor student back home in Missoula
Graduate School in the Humanities: Just Don't Go - Advice - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Layoff Victims Among Pulitzer Honorees - Mixed Media - Portfolio.com
Home Boy: A blog about what happens when a jobless 27 year old law school grad is forced to move back home with mom, dad, and his two sisters
Job offers dwindle for MBA and law school grads - Sacramento Business, Housing Market News | Sacramento Bee
Finding A Job Is Hard For Even The Most Educated : NPR
How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million by Joshua Kaplowitz, City Journal Winter 2003
Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com
As Law Firms Respond to Crisis, 21% of Law Students Regret Choice - News - ABA Journal
Attorney at Blah The temp life without a J.D.: menial labor, rear end in a top hat bosses, $10 an hour. The temp life with a J.D.: menial labor, rear end in a top hat bosses, $35 an hour.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this since ElieKash didn't make a new post, only edited the old post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrQSdSSbDQ&feature=player_embedded

dude's got pictures of the founding fathers and law books, he ain't fuckin around

Holy shittttttt

"I just wanna get this off my chest, okeh? Lot of speculation, making me look like the bad guy, threats, okeh? Not gonna happen. No spellcheck, not gonna do it, okeh."

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Hey, that's really helpful, thanks!

Thank god I already have experience as a barista. Maybe Starbucks will take me back.

I don't think you'll find anything but blunt pessimism in this thread, if you want someone to tell you everything will be OK just call up your mom or something :(

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Never used it to apply for law school, but I was recently hired over several other applicants, and they specifically mentioned that they found my LSAT score impressive. It doesn't hurt to put it on your resume.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

builds character posted:

Still do not do this for a finance-related position. For a finance-related position you should include a deal sheet listing the deals you've done. Taking the LSAT is not a deal.

Well, I'm the one who got the job, so obviously it isn't always a bad idea. The position is software engineering, one of the guys who made the hiring decisions is an ex-lawyer, and I put the test score in the bottom of my education section.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/business/economy/07generation.html?hp

That's a whole article about a whiny kid turning down a 40k job.

quote:

“Going it alone,” “earning enough to be self-supporting” — these are awkward concepts for Scott Nicholson and his friends. Of the 20 college classmates with whom he keeps up, 12 are working, but only half are in jobs they “really like.” Three are entering law school this fall after frustrating experiences in the work force, “and five are looking for work just as I am,” he said.

What a great plan!

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

TyChan posted:

$40k in New York City will get you a crappy studio in Manhattan and will get better housing out in the boroughs, although it'll be hard to live on your own without living way out in the less desirable boroughs. You better be good with roommates or else life is going to get cramped. I was making $50k and living on my own in Manhattan, but it was definitely wearing on me after 2 years given the spaces available to me and the inflationary pressures on rent.

Yeah but that kid from the article was going to work in Worcester, MA, where you can get a nice apartment for $800/month

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know, but I was driven back from an event by a CLS graduate, one of the smartest people in the bureau, in his Honda Accord with tape deck and cloth seats.

I know you can make all kinds of arguments about priorities, conspicuous consumption, and all that, but I want to have a family someday (he's single).

I will drive my corolla until it catches fire and melts into the pavement, no matter how rich I am. Why waste money on a car? Housing is where it's at

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

evilweasel posted:

because sometimes, working air conditioning is worth paying for

The air conditioning is fine, although accelerating uphill with the a/c going almost breaks its will to live

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-law-schools/2010/07/14/as-law-school-tuitions-climb-so-does-demand.html?PageNr=1

quote:

"Certainly for the professions that tend to have a significant financial reward on the back end, we believe that students can pay a higher rate—whatever the market will allow for professional and graduate school," Calderón said. "Then, if they have debt, they can retire that."

That whole article is fail

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

the only thing that's mean is you guys, to prospective students of our noble profession

A friend of mine smokes weed all day and babysits his little sisters for $250/week for his parents, which barely covers his weed and food bills. He weighs some 400 pounds and smells like a toad's vagina. His life goal is to never work hard and make a lot of money, and he plans to attend law school for 'environmental law'. I am forced to use tough love to convince him that he's already achieved his life goals and explain how much worse he'll be off if he goes to law school.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

Big Debt, Small Law has been deleted. I guess that dude shouldn't have outed himself.

http://bigdebtsmalllaw.wordpress.com/

It's sad such a great resource is gone but it wouldn't surprise me if he signed a book deal.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

GregNorc posted:

Sort of like how CS doesn't teach you to program, right?

What kind of bullshit CS department wouldn't teach you to program?

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

GregNorc posted:

MIT. Berkley. CMU.

I guess what I should say is, you're learning the theory of computation. Not the nitty gritty "this is how you make websites in ruby".

And in law school, it's the same. You learn the foundations, you don't memorize statues and stuff - that's what the bar exam is for.

Yeah but once you learn one language and general programming concepts you know all of them more/less. I seriously doubt that MIT doesn't have programming classes, as I did a google and found all this in five seconds http://student.mit.edu/catalog/m6a.html

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

pnumoman posted:

As a CS major and law school grad, I can testify to the accuracy of this statement. Any CS department worth their salt will delve deeply into the mathematical underpinnings of computation; you're asked to program only enough to show that you understand the theory. They also assume that you will be programming for fun in your spare time anyway, or you wouldn't be there in the first place. Which works out, because all the great CS students write programs all the time, just for shits and giggles, while the losers like me who just do homework assignments end up taking the LSAT and going to law school.

That said, I kicked rear end in autonoma theory class. Which was just essentially mind-gently caress Set Theory class crossbred with Logic. It was cool. And the prof was the spitting image of the crazy-professor stereotype.

Yeah but it's not like you graduate with a CS degree and your first employer has to teach you how to code. The impression I get from law school is there's a lot of hand holding by your first employer, while it would be rather embarrassing to start as a software engineer with no ability to program.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

pnumoman posted:

You're not getting it. There are no "This is how you program in Java/C++/C#/Ruby/Python/etc" classes for CS majors, unless it's a 101 intro to the major class, for exactly the reasons you listed above.

HOWEVER, the mathematical underpinnings of programming and computational theory are incredibly difficult to grasp. The theory you learn will be applicable to pretty much any programming language, and it's up to you to implement the theory you learn in class to specific languages you're interested in. Therefore, most pure CS classes are highly theoretical, at least in colleges with a decent CS program.

Dude I get it I graduated from one of those highly ranked programs and make my living as a software engineer. Almost all of my courses were theoretical but I certainly learned "how to program" over the course of my degree, saying I taught myself or something would be nonsense.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

pnumoman posted:

Okay, I get what you're saying. However, the disparity isn't that large. It's not like your employer expects to teach you what a fee simple estate is, in the same way that your first CS employer doesn't expect to teach you what a loop is. Law school teaches you enough to be able to jump into the field of law you end up working in, much like a CS degree teaches you how to analyze a problem in order to code a solution for it.

Writing code is a lot like writing a contract, or a brief. There's a lot of art involved, in that there are many ways to arrive at a solution. The quality of your solution is the measure of your worth; the solution itself is often clear from the beginning. It's because of this that CS departments focus on theory at the expense of 'practical coding'.

EDIT:

Okay, so we're essentially saying the same thing.

Yeah we're in agreement. What I found most surprising in the real world is that breadth of knowledge and ability to overcome problems far outranks elegant solutions. Computers are so fast and open source (MIT license) software so prevalent that simply being able to get the job done, or implement a published algorithm or formula, is 10000x more valuable than an efficient solution (unless it's some critical, must-be-optimized scenario).

I love how the moment some piece of software becomes essential, someone releases an open source library. It helps out the whole industry and gives the developer a serious badge of honor. I can't think of another industry where such a situation arises.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

cats are all like get this poo poo out of here

I got a 175 and decided devoting my life to LSAT was more worthy than a career in law

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Defleshed posted:

Imagine you're sitting on your porch drinking a beer and watching a line of people queue up outside a big building with a sign that says "Fun Ride $100K" and they are counting their money making sure they have enough and they have big smiles because they can't wait to get on the "Fun Ride" which is a bargain at any price. But you've been living here a while and you know that inside the building is not really a fun ride but just a big meat grinder they fall into and when you shout "hey, dude, it's not really a Fun Ride it is a giant meat grinder and they are going to push you in" the guys in line flip you off and talk about what a bitter rear end in a top hat you are. The law thread works the same way

Truly a modernized Allegory of the Cave

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Boston has the best drivers, it's only people from other states who don't like it because it's too scary. Lots of turns, merges, seemingly random dead ends, one ways, and everyone driving goes as fast as they possibly can at any moment. Not to mention the pedestrians who do not notice green lights, and those poor, naive bicyclists. There is a very logical order to all of it which can only be understood by people who actually own cars and actively drive around Boston. If you are not one of these people, or someone who gave it a shot and had a heart attack, stick to cabs and the T. Personally, I have never had problems driving around Boston, and I enjoy it more than a sleepy suburb or some city where every block is perfectly laid out with 4 lanes on each side.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I'd guess that 50% of people in entry-level professional jobs that require a college degree received those jobs with the help of family or friends. That's probably a conservative estimate. Rich Richardson III will have a job at his dad's firm, or his dad's friend's firm, as long as he is capable of getting a degree. That's a pointed example, but I'm sure many people got their foot in the door with some extra help, even if they aren't rich.

Now, let's say you have no connections, and want to break into a professional field. The best chances of succeeding are being in the top 50% of your class in a hard science or engineering. You also need to have some people skills, so let's say a conservative 5% are unemployable because they are just plain strange.

That leaves 55% of hard science/engineering majors and the vast majority of humanities/soft science majors who paid for 4+ years of university who are unable to get a professional job.

If I had to give a prospective undergraduate advice, I'd say get into a hard science or engineering and work as hard as you can. Or have good connections. Otherwise, why pay $100k+ for a degree? The deck is simply stacked against you.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Grammar Fascist posted:

I have a friend who is doing her sociology dissertation on law school and the legal profession and she's hoping to speak to several more law students for a 30-45 minute phone interview. If you're interested in participating, please e-mail me (grammarfascist@gmail.com) and I'll give you her contact info.

Won't sampling from this population severely skew her research?

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

D) GO TEACH ENGLISH.

I just want to second this... I haven't actually done any research into it but I feel like I hear about Teaching English Abroad programs every other day. Certainly a determined man such as yourself can find a good one. Three years and $100k+ debt or crazy drunken foreign adventures with a paycheck? Might as well take some time to figure out your life and actually see if you like teaching English.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

HooKars posted:

I will probably try to stay here for a year, if only for the sheer fact that I have lived in five different states since March of 2009.

The work, honestly, should not be bad but it's like everybody gets together to make it as miserable as possible, with a ton of fake self-imposed deadlines, and there's not even any camaraderie in the suffering - everyone is just kind of a bitch/rear end in a top hat. I'm in the office from 8 am to around 11 pm everyday but I probably only bill 8 - 10 hours so it's not even like there's the benefit of having awesome hours. The rest of the time I just sit and wait, and often times, due to the nature of my practice area, nothing starts happening until 6 pm and then there is a sudden rush where everything must be edited and sent out THAT NIGHT (hence the nothingness again, the next day but of course, you still have to be there).

Sadly, 8 am - 11pm is not enough. My coworker and I were told yesterday we were leaving way too early and to stop asking "Is there anything else we can do?" at the end of the evening (10 pm - 11 pm) when we have nothing to do. Instead, we must now sit in our office, doing nothing, not billing time, until we are affirmatively told we may leave the office in case "something comes up." It's like we have a babysitter. Never mind the fact that we both live within a two minute walk to the office and could hop over if anything ever did come up. No, if one person has to suffer and stay late, the whole team has to wait around for him and suffer as well.

Also, my practice group apparently hates food. I think for every three late nights we have, we get dinner on the client once. Other than that it's pay for it yourself or live off the free pretzels the office has.

Yay for my job.

I can't thank The Internet enough for keeping me out of law school. This is such a depressing existence.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but The Economist says going to law school is bad so now it's definitely true

http://www.economist.com/node/17461573?story_id=17461573&fsrc=rss

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I am just a plebeian with common tastes but I love me a Smithwicks

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I read A Civil Action while the fam watched football for 12 hours yesterday and I have a question: Did that judge royally gently caress it up, or was the book biased against him? He just seemed to hate Schlichtmann and was buddies with Facher, but I kept feeling like he must have been following protocol and Schlichtmann was too inexperienced to recognize it.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

My cousin the elevator repairman (tip for prospective law school students- he makes a lot more money than you'd think) worked on Leona Helmsley's elevator for a month once. He said he had never seen a more bitter, angry person and all she did was complain and yell at everyone for "trying to steal her money". Leaving the dog millions of dollars was just a final 'gently caress you' to the world.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

You can always roll the dice and get a PhD in English and go teach at a community college (legit good idea).

http://chronicle.com/article/Graduate-School-in-the/44846

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

They should get their proofreader a couple more degrees

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

My brother works at Kaplan, and their "university" makes degrees like a factory. They decided a certain singer/songwriter appealed to their demographic, so they awarded him a degree in creative writing and paid him a bunch of money to promote how the degree helped him become a great success :wtf:

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

When you are in your forties or fifties and your kids are off to college, I think a lot of parents just want as a psychological matter (let alone financial) to be focused on getting to retirement in one piece. Dumping 1/3 of your $200,000k pre-tax (so roughly $130-140k after tax perhaps) salary into tuition, room, and board for a couple of kids doesn't help with that.

Any child I raise will be guaranteed a free college education at the university of their choice, whatever the end result of cost to myself, as was the case with my parents' education and my own education. If you value education and believe in helping your children succeed, both for their benefit and so they can then support you in your old age, then it makes perfect sense. It's one thing if you make 40k/year, but anyone with 200k/year salary is fooling themselves if they think it's a burden. The financial and psychological freedom of being debt-free is enormous.

Now, private high school education? I went to a fine public school that had plenty of Ivy Leaguers, it all depends on the quality of public education available. I have generally found that private high school education is more about family prestige and impressing family friends than tangible benefits.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

That NYT article is a godsend, it actually convinced my friend who was hellbent on prosecuting mass murderers at the ICC that it isn't a realistic option. Unfortunately, he now has no life plan anymore and is sort of aimless and depressed, but that's an improvement over law school.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Or, you work for a poo poo company :smith:

I only read this thread now out of habit. I graduated with a computer science degree and decided programming wasn't for me, and worked at a PR firm while I prepared for law school. I did well on the LSAT (170) and applied to law schools and then retracted everything because of this thread. I then very quickly found a job as an entry level software engineer at a start-up that has subsequently exploded. Whether this counts as 'real' engineering or not is a matter of debate but it has similarities.

It's been the best decision of my life, and I realized I actually do love programming, which is why I got a CS degree in the first place. The hours are amazing and I can work from home whenever I feel like it. It is also high paying and extremely interesting... I can't remember who said it, but a piece of advice I heard once was, "Find a job you like to do and you'll never work a day in your life". That's really the truth, I come home from work and feel really happy and fulfilled, not tired at all.

Moral of the story? Don't go to law school. I have several friends who took this route (partly why I was applying) and they are now jobless, Panera Bread, and still in school with no hope. I have two friends at North Eastern, 3L and 2L, and they are totally hosed, no hope what-so-ever.

If you can do anything else do that, and if you like computers try giving programming a shot, at least in Boston good engineers are in high demand.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

nm posted:

I have horrible non-confirmed news (source: former Managing Partner of larger CA lawfirm)
University of Phoenix is planning to open a law school. I have no other details.

T5 law school?

That's not really a big deal, Kaplan University already has one http://www.concordlawschool.edu/index.asp

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Martin Random posted:

Petey, a chilling article. It's true that advances in technology have heavily impacted the demand for electrical engineers. Job growth for this designation in the US is anticipated to be either stagnant or negative over the next ten years. I'm jumping from the law to engineering and wondering whether I'm going to be making a good decision or doing the equivalent of running from one room in a burning building to another.

Whatever happens, I know that I loving hate being a lawyer, so anything that's not that is fine by me.

Go for computer science instead of electrical engineering. The demand for good software developers is strong.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

diospadre posted:

What happened to the demand for electrical engineers? 6 months ago the thread wouldn't shut up about them, but maybe that was just PTO slots.

I don't know anything about EE but I do know that in March 2011 you can throw a dart on a US map and find a software engineering job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I'm an entrepreneur. My business partner and I have a real lawyer, at a firm in a penthouse suite, and he charges us the "friend's rate" of $250 / hour.

Let's say I need legal research done. Could I go to one of the many local law schools and find a student to provide us legal research / advice, pay them a much smaller rate, and then have the expensive lawyer look it over to approve it?