Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
There was this other clerk that used the word "pettifoggery" in a bench memo what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
most of the words I write in a given day could be characterized as a tale told by an idiot

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Climb right in to this pool of tears, dingus

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Its preftige bozo

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Don't pay 15,000 toonies a year to go to law school

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Gorilla Radio posted:

This may not belong here, but Google isn't helping and I figured that one of you might have heard about this in life/class. A long time ago (2005) I took a criminal justice class and we watched a (1990's?) video about the dangers of falsely confessing. In the case, an entire poor, black neighborhood (I think? It was a large number of people)was arrested and charged with a crime (I think a felony). Those that could afford to wait sat in jail and were eventually let go. Those who could not plead guilty and were released, but had their lives ruined. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I think it was in Ohio or Iowa or one of those Midwestern states. Thanks.

I saw this in my plea and sentencing clinic but I can't remember what it was called. I remember there was a lot of talking heads from the Southern Poverty Law Center if that helps you locate it. They basically arrested an entire housing project during a drug sweep and a lot of people were convinced to plead guilty. Later on I think a bunch of the pleas were withdrawn and the charges dropped because of various constitutional violations, but if I remember right the DA want on TV and said that he was sure all these people were guilty.

J Miracle fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Javid posted:

Am I correct in remembering that PDs can't really pass on a case?

Having sat through a criminal hearing, I have pity for you dudes now. Getting assigned an unrepentant lump of poo poo and still having to do your best to minimize what they get slapped with has got to suck. Every now and then I could just see the dude steeling himself to say something horrible to minimize the guy's guilt. "Well, your honor, NEGLECT isn't really the same as ABUSE.."

Are you ever relieved to lose one like that?

Neglect isn't the same as abuse