Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

scribe jones posted:

when im good and ready!!!
__________________________________/

I'd hit it

god lawschool is full of unattractive people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

7StoryFall posted:

Of course, but there is still a significant amount of randomness between steps on a curve (e.g. between an A- and an A), especially on easier exams. Grading, to a degree, is subjective and in many cases structured to a curve. Sure, significant amounts of work will likely shift you up the curve--assuming not everyone is putting in the same amount of work--but one mistake or missed issue on a 3-4 hour exam could be the difference in a single grade step.

I got a B+ on a one-credit Microeconomics for Lawyers class, other than that I've gotten all As and 5 book awards and worked my rear end off so to me this "law school grades are arbitrary" stuff kinda sounds like loser talk

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

JudicialRestraints posted:

I had this happen to me this semester (I had huge attendance issues in the A+ class). I got a C+ in Criminal Procedure.

I studied my rear end off for that class, read and briefed every case, had a great outline, and walked out of it feeling like a million bucks.

The law Gods were angry.

I guess that's one explanation...it's certainly easy on the ego...

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

What? That I'm a natural genius at Tort law but that i'm a retard at criminal law?

Sorry man I was trying to be funny and it came off dickish.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

It's cool. I talked with the professor about the grade and he basically told me to quit caring so much about grades and that working for a firm was for idiots anyway so he was doing me a favor.

It's hard to be angry at you when all of my anger is reserved for him.

My professor in Professional Responsibility did this all the time, and gave us speeches about how we shouldn't just take the first firm that offers us a job but try to find one that cares about our professional development.

He's like 2 years older than me, he's a URM that graduated from Harvard, had summer associate jobs both summers and immediately went to a Biglaw job before leaving for the exotic world of teaching at a TTT.

You can basically feel the class hating him when he starts rambling on about how the firm isn't just interviewing you, you're also interviewing the firm and hey how about public service?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

newberstein posted:

I thought of that but the problem there is that it makes it sound like I slacked off. I went to all my classes and studied a poo poo load, I just didn't waste my time doing homework. I somehow want to get that across.

I didn't get into a T14 but I had a period with a bad undergrad GPA that rose steadily towards the end of college and I used an answer somewhat like that..."for a while I was unfocused and didn't have my priorities in order" or something like that.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

KimchiHead posted:

I actually enjoy reading arguments/cases and analyzing them. I took a few classes in undergrad, like "Philosophy and Law", which required doing just that, and they were my favorite classes.

If you have a problem with this aspect of your personality and want it eliminated, by all means go to law school.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Every school has dumbass ___________ Law classes that no one needs to take. They're great for your third year when you just wanna coast and guard/marginally improve your GPA.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Got an interview with a federal judge for a fall externship! Getting the position would have to help the clerkship chances at least a little, right?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I'm taking Bird Law next semester I hear its not based on logic

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I don't know, I wouldn't really express it in classist terms but I kind of agree, TV lawyers and billboards and poo poo make me puke.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Gary Peeples posted:

Same. Commercial Paper wasn't even offered at my law school.

Commercial Paper is a whole class? My professor just briefly mentioned it in Corp Finance I assumed that meant it was simple...

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I like my boss and I like getting to write motions and everything but the slip n' falls and auto poo poo is starting to wear on me, I spend half the day every day on the phony with insurance adjusters and defense lawyers and the other half doing mindless office work.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

TyChan posted:

However, J Miracle, if you haven't already planned on this, you should try to get out of auto stuff as soon as possible. It's a bit of a trap and, for pretty snobby and stupid reasons, other litigation practice areas view it as a red flag.

Welp I mean it's a summer job, I tried the big and midlaw firms and got bupkiss, 15 OCI bids, 15 interviews, 8 callbacks, 0 jobs, plus any number of direct-send rejections and phone interviews that went nowhere. I'm lucky enough to have a paid job anywhere and I'm learning a lot about small practice management and Michigan civil procedure. But yeah this is not the kind of work I want to do as a practicing attorney.

Lol I just realized I wrote "on the phony"

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Ahh Transfer Chat, that special time of the year were I engage in constant self-flagellation over my incredibly boneheaded decision to turn down a transfer to U of M and stay at my TTT

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I used to have a lot of respect for doctors and hold the medical profession in pretty high esteem, however that esteem is being eroded daily by contact with Independent Medical Examiners and expert witnesses

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Got our class ranks in today, I guess I'm still king of the turd-heap

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Tetrix posted:

Thoughts on joining a secondary journal? Is it worth the work? I would like to clerk if possible, so that weighs in favor of it. Am I going to get pigeonholed by employers thinking that I am only interested in the topic of the journal?

If you don't have a particular area of the law that you know you are dying to do, try to pick the second-most varied journal in your school (for example my school has a Business & Securities Law Journal, that's a lot less likely to lead to pigeonholing than the Animal Law Journal or the now-defunct Law & Gender journal). Then try really hard to get on the E-board/get a note published/do something leadership-y.

EDIT: Also from what I can see the "work" on a secondary journal is pretty minimal.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
good move: reading some study guides and poo poo to get a little familiarity with the topic before you start law school

bad move: acting like that means you know jack poo poo about sweet gently caress-all.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Anybody ever read A Civil Action? There was a doctor in that book that charged $100/hour "sleep rate" for every night in the $500/night hotel he had to spend.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

semicolonsrock posted:

Why do law school admissions just look at GPA and LSAT instead of looking at applicants holistically like colleges do? There doesn't seem to be any particularly good reason for this particular disparity between undergrad and law school.

If you go to law school no one will ever care about the crap that makes you an interesting and well-rounded person again.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I work for a solo practitioner right now and the understanding has been that I would work through the third year. I just interviewed with a federal judge for a fall externship. HOWEVER, if I get an offer for the externship I can't work for a private practice at the same time because of potential conflicts (this is a rule the court has, not just my own thoughts).

Basically, I'd have to dick over the guy who hired me and I know he wouldn't take it well, but on the other hand it's federal and I want to clerk when I get out...gently caress maybe I'll get "lucky" and they'll just turn me down and I won't have to wrestle with this issue gently caress I need to go drink

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
OK animal law sucks and is stupid why am I the SALDF president and doing a grant project on animal law again?

EDIT: Oh yeah because I can't say no to anything because I'm obsessively adding things to my resume despite the fact that nothing will overcome my graduating from a TTT

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Linguica posted:

I looked up the fellows from Heritage and CAP, let's see

Could you tell me what these words mean

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
This 3L year I'm just saying gently caress it and working out, I'm sick of letting law school destroy my body AND my soul. If I have to do the absolute bare minimum it takes not to get booted off LR then so be it.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

I get 16 bids.

How exactly should I kill myself?

15 at my school.

I'm going to the gym all August and doing nothing but bro curls on the theory that arm vascularity is the single biggest factor in federal clerkship acceptance.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Got an interview with a state SC justice in September...if you disagree vehemently with every opinion you've ever read from a judge, should you:

(A) just swallow that poo poo and pretend you love every word he's ever written and be the biggest bootlicking toady you can be;

(B) give an honest and well-reasoned statement about why you disagree if he asks;

(C) just tell the unvarnished truth and hope he respects your "moxie"; OR

(D) skip the interview and sit at home with a bottle of Scotch?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

NoodleBaby posted:

Why would you consider anything except (B) or (C)? Faking it in an interview rarely works, first of all, and even if it does work you will get "caught" when you start the job.

Out of curiosity, why did you apply for a position with a judge with opinions so contrary to your own?

Although as somebody else said, there are judges who specifically hire clerks with opposite opinions of their own, which I think is cool.

I applied to every Justice of our Supreme Court, since they don't tell you which ones are hiring they just have a little blurb on the site about how to send packets.

tbh I don't really care too much if a judge has opinions contrary to my own as long as I can do honest work for him. Now if he were to come up to me and say "find me a way to make this plaintiff lose because I hate tort plaintiffs and love insurance companies" or "find me a way to deny this guy his disability" or something I might have a problem. But I doubt that'll happen.

Plus I figure, looking at my resume, that he must want someone with different opinions since I (1) used to work for an agency that assisted people in obtaining welfare, food stamps, disability, and subsidized housing; (2) did an appellate defense clinic for the public defender's office; (3) am president of an animal law group; and (4) currently work as a clerk for a plaintiff personal injury attorney.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

BigHead posted:

Please tell me that 100% of your efforts are dedicated to the argument "Hey man birds are people too."

Or that the framers intended animals to have rights because bears have the right to arms.

well I try but bird law in this country is very complex and not based on logic.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Daico posted:

The first amendment can burn in the eighth loving circle of hell.

What it's easy just figure out if a reg is content-based or content-neutral, if its a viewpoint reg; time place and manner restriction, protected or unprotected speech, level of scrutiny and you're done! Possibly apply specific tests for commercial speech, fighting words, obscenity, incitement, and probably some other poo poo I'm forgetting. Remember that nonverbal poo poo can be speech unless its conduct. Also some poo poo about strip clubs.

For religion just apply one of 8 or so different Supreme Court tests for Establishment Clause and for Exercise just follow that peyote case unless you're dealing with the Amish then they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Oh yeah and for free speech apply a whole different set of poo poo if it takes place in a school.

What could be simpler?

EDIT: Also poo poo about forums being traditional public or non-public or limited-purpose or whatever the gently caress

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I'm sorry if this makes me a dim bulb but what the hell is "articling"

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Oh I see so it's like clerking basically but required...I think that's a good idea honestly, it's kind of mind-boggling that it's POSSIBLE, at least at my school, to graduate having done no clinics, no externships/internships, no real legal work at all. There's a requirement of like one "skills" class but you could take Will Drafting or something and then go out and try to practice law having never even seen a motion or written a brief since first year writing class.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
2 firms that I had 2L OCI's with are returning for 3L OCIs. Both firms I feel like I came really close--one firm I had TWO callbacks and then they ended up not having a summer associate program that year at all, and the other firm I had a callback plus an invite to a fancy dinner with single malt scotch and lobster (OK it was a state bar business law section annual meeting but there WAS Scotch and lobster). The second firm also, to my knowledge, only hired diversity candidates for their summer associate program. Am I wrong to be kind of excited about this? I mean they had to like me somewhat, didn't they? On the other hand, the fact that I didn't have an SA position this summer can't exactly be a mark in my favor, can it?

So many questions...

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

But I like quoting opposing counsel's documents as much as possible and I don't want the judge to think I'm dumb :(

Some opposing counsel douche was quoting a brief I wrote and he [sic]ed all this stuff that wasn't wrong and it was fuckin infuriating.

so that's a way to go with it.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

This year I'm just going to pop the cases into Westlaw and steal the headnotes.

I like the Lexis briefs better normally.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I'm not a gunner but I've never said "pass" because as a fat sweaty old douche attending a TTT, I need to get my pride from somewhere. I have a really fast skimming ability I guess, it always stuns me how many people can't come up with SOME WORDS when they get called on.

This conversation is obviously really prof specific, I 've had at least two profs pull exam Qs directly out of commentary/review question stuff from casebooks. Plus I've never read a "hornbook" unless E&Es and CrunchTimes are considered hornbooks.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

seriously? Cooley sounds like a loving concentration camp

That's the worst part about Cooley, it'd be one thing if it was just a diploma-mill that passed everybody but for what I hear it's actually very demanding AND strict AND no one at all will ever give a poo poo that you went there.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Wow some people have early interviews...first OCI is on the 20th here, I haven't heard if I got it yet...although from what I hear 3L OCI's that lead to offers are like unicorns or leprechauns

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Congrats man I jacked my back up so I will be taking flexeril and Percocet in your honor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Just got an offer woot

hey congrats man