Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Any other Memphis Law grads here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm 2008.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

TheMadMilkman posted:

Hm. JtDL and I both need to know who you are now.

2009 as well, but now out of state and not practicing.

I'm also not practicing. Or technically quasi practicing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

When I was job hunting, I would send follow-up letters to places I hadn't heard back from after 3 weeks or so; mostly because I was bored, but also to make sure they hadn't just skipped me over, just saying "thanks for taking the time to review my application. Blah blah blah."

Did it help?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

I always sent follow up letters to places I interviewed with.

I think it helps.

Right, I meant follow-up letters to places that hadn't acknowledged your resume in any way.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

sullat posted:

You would get the joy of helping young dreamers go to law school, can you put a price on that?

Those people should not be lawyers.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Saw a doc review job listing last week in Nashville. Required previous doc review experience. Holy lol that's where the legal job market is right now. Experience required for 100% entry level.

Never gonna give you up, cushy staff job.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

nm posted:

If I knew that I'd pick that one.
The state job is safer and is in an practice area that is interesting.
The firm job is obviously more risky and less of a known. It basically owns its niche (and invented it in the 70s) and as I've said, it is a very cool niche that if I'd known about jobs in it in law school, I might have targeted. Now admittedly civil lit is civil lit, but the subjects are cool.

If you know people at the firm, I'd go with the firm. Liking who you work with makes the work a whole lot more tolerable. You sound like you think it's subject matter you'd enjoy and the extra pay makes it an easy choice. Even if you flame out in 2 years you'll have civil litigation experience under your belt and the state job will still hire you. State job to firm seems like the harder transition.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Do IT staff masturbate in the stall next to you in government jobs or is that just at firms?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Maybe those numbers exclude every lawyer with less than 10 years experience.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Are law interviews always horrible?

I knew it wasn't going to go well when he got really angry over my assertion that there were differences in working style between biglaw and independent/gov practice, and that having experienced both I knew my strengths were much more suited to independent practice. He works independently and said that the fact I thought there were differences in culture showed I'd done no research into legal careers or the reality of the legal profession.

You should have asked if he's done the research.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

This is a hard mindset to have if you're desperately looking for work in the legal profession, but it's the right one. And the realization came late for me, but at least I did find a legal job: Most lawyers (51% or more) are loving retards or spazzes or both. I already knew that because most law students in my law class were retards or spazzes. They don't grow out of it. I may even be one. Who know? There's probably a tendency to treat somebody with too much unearned respect if they are holding a potential job over you, but it's better to sniff that poo poo out and not say what you think they want to hear or ignore the warning signs and take the job.

Also what blarzgh said.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I worked for a husband and wife criminal lawyer team in law school and it was a clusterfuck. Even with the wife out on extended maternity leave. She was the business minded side of the couple, so she was still up in the office's poo poo but didn't really know what was going on because she was never there.

Then after law school a friend of mine rented office space there and walked in to her office on the husband loving a new associate he had just hired (also from my class).

So at minimum, there's a bunch of drama.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Toona the Cat posted:

This tangent is making me not look forward to legal writing, which I guess my law school is highly ranked at.

If you haven't done the legal writing course yet, you must be a 1L. So you still have time to get out before you're pot committed. Avoid lots more debt AND that writing class.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He's a 0L who wants to take out a reverse mortgage on his home that he owns outright to attend a T2 school.

I'm sorry toona. There's still time though.

Christ. How has he gotten to this point in the thread and still wants to go to law school?

Seriously, go anywhere but law school.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Have you worked in the legal field before and/or is there someone that will hook you up with a job after you graduate? Have you considered just getting a paralegal certification?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

There's still time!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dude the US is totally not a country but a swiss corporation. You're just a number. Judges and lawsuits can be dispelled with the right magic words.

Tubal Cain

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The TN fucktard legislature introduced a bill to let anyone sit for the bar, whether they went to law school or not. I'll just patiently await the bill to refund me all of my law school tuition.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

More realistically I'd prepare for the explosion in unaccredited JD mills.

Why bother with anything but a BarBri course?

EDIT: Time to invest in BarBri.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

well, it still has to pass.

Tennesseein' is believin'.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

Yup.

I'll take the Vegas odds someone in your state house has a kid who can't get into law school.

I'd rather they just shitcan some law school administrators or cut some funding. Why would a mouthbreathing legacy kid want to be a lawyer that bad?

It won't pass but these people want babies to have guns, so uh.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

You should probably wait until you do the DOJ job to decide. Maybe you just don't like law school but you'll like the real work. 2L and 3L are much easier to tough out.

Until then, do as much as you can to lord it over your classmates that you won't have any debts.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I took the Tennessee bar in 2009 and at the time you didn't have to have a law degree to get licensed here. Having a JD from an accredited school basically qualifies you for reciprocity but otherwise it was free to sit.

TN Supreme Court Rule 7 says otherwise:

quote:

ARTICLE II. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION

Sec. 2.01. Bachelor and Law Degrees.

To be eligible to take the examination, an applicant must file as part of the application:

(a) Evidence satisfactory to the Board that prior to beginning the study of law, the applicant had received a Bachelor's Degree from a college on the approved list of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, or the equivalent regional accrediting association, or any accreditation agency imposing at least substantially equivalent standards; and

(b) A certificate from the dean or supervising authority of the school of law in which the applicant is enrolled or from which the applicant graduated, that the school is accredited by the American Bar Association, or has been approved by the Board under Section 2.03, and that the applicant has completed all the requirements for graduation and will have the number of credit hours required for graduation by the date of the bar examination. If the latter type of certificate is furnished, a supplemental statement by the dean or other supervising authority must be made showing completion of all requirements for graduation by the date of the examination.

(c) The Board in its discretion may waive the requirement of graduation from an accredited undergraduate school if the applicant has graduated from either: (i) a law school accredited by the American Bar Association or (ii) a law school approved by the Board pursuant to section 2.03.

http://tncourts.gov/rules/supreme-court/7

Amended in 2010, but pre-amendment still required graduation from a law school.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 25, 2015

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I have a little over 1/3 of that debt and my payment is only $30 less. Nicely done.

I have just enough debt that I would pay it off under IBR, so IBR isn't worth it. So I'm trying to pay it off as fast as possible by paying 2x my payment every month.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

That's 32 years of deducting the maximum annual $2500.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

sullat posted:

Income phase out.

:downs:

Looks like I'm a long way from worrying about that. I'll be below the annual cap before it happens.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wouldn't not going to law school be the more economical way to unauthorized practice?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Marriage really blew up my IBR payment. They use your joint AGI instead of just my earnings. Payment went from around $325 to over $600 Did the math and realized I would have it paid off before IBR forgave the balance. So gently caress 20 more years of interest. Last month I moved to extended repay and I'm paying an extra $300-400 on the higher interest loans per month. ETA to payoff: still 7-8 more years. :|

Don't get married if you go to law school. Or have kids. And I love my wife and kid.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

olylifter posted:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/02/25/onedayofpay-campaign-rubs-u-of-t-students-the-wrong-way.html

The student association at U of T, the top ranked (by loving miles) law school in Canada, is asking its students with BIGLAW summer jobs to throw the unemployed among them a few bucks so they can take volunteer, public interest roles during their unemployed summers.

I have nothing funny to say about this as its just loving awful. 33k/year for U of T and until recently they didn't have a dean and as far as I'm aware they still don't have a law building. I'd imagine the complaining among the students is reaching fever pitch.

Wait, what? Isn't everything in Canada free?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

olylifter posted:

However he also faces the daily threat of having poo poo, blood, piss, and other unidentified fluids thrown on him while doing his job.

So do defense lawyers.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i'm seriously debating installing a seltzer maker in my sink

Just get a Sodastream.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

I buy a case, keep it in the car. Grab one out for lunch, one for the drive home. Because the water in this building is gross.

I have one of those too. Sodastream bottles aren't convenient for commuting.

The plastic liter bottles aren't convenient?

quote:

3) have to go to best buy to get refils (~$30/mo.)

I think they're $15-20 if you bring in your empty. But wtf do I know. I don't drink that poo poo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I go through two a month

:stonk:

quote:

I was raised on this:

You come from circus clown lineage?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

There always are.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

And soon you'll just be broke. Law school!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SlothBear posted:

Lawyers don't have people around them to harm.

Except clients. But you can't harm them because ethics. :|

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

8/10 if that was a troll post. Would have given you a 10, but philosophy was a too obvious troll.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

18 year old scotch is fantastic. Not 18 year old scotch is filth. On the other hand, all types of bourbon have their charms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Feces Starship posted:

We have kids appear all the time during labor arbitrations. Why?

To keep them away from all the rape and molestation trials, obviously.