Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
drat, I was hoping the previous thread would last a couple more months - it started right around the beginning of the school year, so if I do end up quitting it would've contained my entire law school experience :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
I took the hardest exam I've ever taken in my life this afternoon. It was about soap. The whole thing was about soap.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

nm posted:

B
i will be entirely stoked about a B on this motherfucker

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Incredulous Red posted:

I had Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner last night and an exam at 8:30 this morning.

Tactical error.
their wings aren't even that good :-(

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS I'M FREEEE

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Save me jeebus posted:

After four years straight through an evening program with internships interspersed (no pay! :v:), having to do an extra summer because he failed community property, and failing the bar, my husband still thinks he's going to be a lawyer dagnabbit and he'll have a job too.

If he fails the July bar I'm dragging his happy as with me into the field while I work on my MA/PhD in archaeology. He can be my personal sifting bitch.
you can give him my personal assurance that, having done both, sifting is way more fun than law school

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

quepasa18 posted:

I gave my notice today at my law firm, and everyone was really happy for me. They were also very grateful I gave six weeks' notice so they can find someone to replace me. I'm glad that's done.
whatcha doing instead

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
nah, it's definitely purty racist

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
we all know statistically there's a tremendously disproportionate number of blacks in prison! so how can it be racist to assume the offender was black!? just the facts ma'am

-smart thread for smart law students

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

TyChan posted:

I prefer Taco Bell to Chipotle. Choptle makes me feel ripped off and the spices aren't very good whereas Taco Bell's offerings are at least at a decent price point.
Me too. If I'm gonna eat some bullshit that doesn't actually count as Mexican food, gimme some real bullshit

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
Hello I have missed the past 500 posts. What tragedies have befallen you all

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

evilweasel posted:

I got the same grade on an exam I didn't study for and legit thought I failed as I do on all the others.
My grades still aren't out but I imagine I'll do exactly the same as I did last term even though I did about half as much work and didn't even finish an outline for one of the classes

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
Hey y'all what you been up to for the past 400 posts?

Grades-finally-came-in report: First term I briefed every case and attended every supplemental TA session and studied extensively before exams. Second term I didn't brief anything, skipped a bunch of the reading entirely, and outlined each class in the two days before the exam. Grades uniformly went up half a letter. Lawschool.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Defenestration posted:

No the Eve dude was InternetRulesLawyer I think

haha no way, wasn't he also the cranky Clarence Thomas fan?

oh speaking of which, twitter.com/clarencethomas is pretty fuckin funny

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

poofactory posted:

Is it difficult to have $30-$50k after graduating from law school?
yeah i'm gonna go ahead and say that that's extremely difficult unless you already had that amount in the bank before law school and then got a full tuition scholarship and lived with your parents

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

175 buddies what's up
yah cool i'll rejoin the thread if it means i can join a Crew

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
i wish i woulda gotten like a 148 tbqh

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

evilweasel posted:

so are you quitting law school or no, I remember you said you were deciding based on this summer
Heh honestly I'm less sure now than ever. I'd always been leaning toward quitting, and I even felt like I'd finally made The Decision a couple weeks ago - but now in the last week or so I've been vacillating several times a day. Gonna take this one to double-overtime :cool:

Lykourgos posted:

The prosecutor will tell the def atty and judge if he knows the defendant is innocent.
laffo

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

TheMadMilkman posted:

By the way, if law school doesn't kill all the relationships in your life, your first job will.
If 1L kills your friendships then you probably did like 5x more work than was necessary imho

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

TheSqueeze posted:

Has anyone used the Examples and Explanations series of texts as supplementary reading?

Will it matter if I save like 30 bucks and buy an old edition?
i bought used copies for all of my first term classes in a fit of 1L anxiety. the civpro one was fairly useful, but the torts and contracts ones i probably cracked open once apiece. i might be in the minority on this, but in retrospect i'd recommend not wasting your money on any supplements, unless a chorus of students who've had your particular professor sing out in favor of a particular book. otherwise just roll with past outlines and your arcane ability to Think Like A Lawyer.

and i can't imagine old editions would hurt you, unless you also skip the day in class where you hear about all the hottest new developments in the wild world of twombly/iqbal or whatever.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
Hello lawthread. I successfully quit lawschool. Just fyi. :cool:

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

TyChan posted:

Either that or I could have faked a "thumb disability" like one of my classmates did so he could get extra time on his finals. It helped him get on to law review.
That rules

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

evilweasel posted:

This is amazing.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
Dunno if this was ever posted in here, but this dude is literally a Goon Lawyer (though I don't think he posted in these threads):

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/police-investigating-lawyer

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Shang Yang posted:

There was a better video in that style. Also, the video you linked to is wrong; there are thousands of lawyers and pro se defendants who argue the constitution every day.
A bunch of my summer work was drafting constitutional arguments. But then I quit law school because I'm smart handsome and fun to be around~~

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Petey posted:

I want to cherish this paragraph forever and frame it like some people frame a prayer or the constitution
Hell yea bro

Lawthread... lawthread. How is life in the glorious world I left behind?

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Feces Starship posted:

thought about you the other day. How is YOUR life?
I'm doing some meager part-time stuff for the office I worked for in summer, and still trying to find and Actual Job. So my life SOUNDS pretty weak. But it FEELS pretty good. At least I'm making SOME amount of money instead of totally hemorrhaging it, and I'm Regularly Exercising and working on my own Creative Writings again, which are two things that stopped cold when I started school...

I'm probably gonna apply to grad school in fall but in the meantime, I fart on myself and do what I want :cool:

Daico posted:

I'm actively doing everything I can to find a job so I can leave this wretched place, take a couple night courses for refreshers, and apply to some less retarded program.

gently caress this jazz.
yeah! yeah!!

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

goin' in our paper

Petey posted:

Yeah, I tried to read all the stuff we'd collected over break but got mega sick; I'll try to get some done soon.

But that graf definitely deserves a footnote at least.

what are you fellows writing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm seriously kicking myself for ever taking out private loans. I recalculated my fed loan payments today and I'll be paying $309/mo on my $100k of federal debt on my current salary (a standard repayment would be $1350, a smopping 40% of my salary). I'm also paying $336 a month on my $50,000 of private access group loans. If I'd just checked the "grad PLUS" box instead of the "access group" box when I was filling out my applications I'd only be paying $309/mo on my $150k of debt. I literally might as well be flushing $336 down the toilet every month, there's zero, zero need for me to be paying this extra debt. But I was dumb and didn't think things through so here I am. Fortunately access group was kind enough to stop lending me money entirely during my second semester or I'd owe them about $75k
This should probably be in the OP somewhere, if we're really concerned about helping people at all...

quote:

I will say that I do feel mildly guilty about taxpayer money subsidizing my worthless law degree that I'm not using. I hope the tea party never finds out about IBR
The taxpayer can get hosed, I was a taxpayer for like a goddamn decade before I took a single thing. Gimme what I want imho.