Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GamingHyena posted:

Does anyone really bill in .25 increments? If I make 4 five minute phone calls for different clients, can I really bill them collectively an hour for 20 minutes of work?

My firm does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you missed the best quote:

quote:

"If somebody’s paying $150,000 for a law school degree, you don’t want to call them a loser at the end,”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Back when I was a director, I threatened to report another lawyer director to the bar for hiring a real-life hacker to hack another corp's forums.

I read that thread actually it was one of the only good threads in the director forum (which hadn't been used in like a year and a half).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

SlyFrog posts are literally the best posts

hahaha wonder how many titans he could have bought with that 60 million

burn in hell remedial you fat little-dicked piece of poo poo

Stealing the video game money was one thing but the type of work he's doing now is really terrible and predatory. I mean, scamming people who are broke out of $2,500 they don't have is reprehensible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

Frankly, I think it's funny that somebody stole a bunch of money from MMO goons and it made them so mad that they're chasing shadows on the internet years later. Do goons do this to people who stole from other guilds in MMO games? What the gently caress does Remedial-esque even mean? Hahahaha

That was ha-ha evil.

What you're doing now is genuinely helping to destroy lives.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

Protip: don't steal people's money, in EVE or in loan modification scams. It makes Baby Jesus cry.

stealing money in eve is legit, though the circumstances were hilariously pathetic (pay my rent!)

swindling broke people losing their houses out of $2,500 though, that's just awful

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

builds character posted:

I don't really care about whether or not some guy stole video game money (unless the story is funny in which case can someone please link it?), but the idea that ten other lawyers going along with something means it's ok is silly. From a very brief look at what's going on, the attorneys in this market look predatory. I'd be curious to hear if you have a different perspective.

The short version:

Remedial founded and ran Goonfleet, the EVE goon group, for some time (year or two). As one of the last things he did, he raised money for a titan - the biggest ship you could have in-game, useful as poo poo for some things and at that time invincible. I think he raised something like 50 billion in in-game currency - to put that in perspective, you can buy 30 days worth of playtime for ~300m, and that playtime is ~$15. At the same time, he got cut off by his parents (the reasons why are unknown to anyone but Remedial, he claims because they didn't like his fiance but who knows), so he begged for rent money (and got it!) on the goonfleet forums. He also implemented a space libertarian policy which failed completely. He then quit (largely because the alliance was on the brink of being destroyed) without turning over control of the titan fund. About a month later, he announced he'd stolen it, though some money was recovered I think through some less than legitimate means. He then ebayed the isk.

The real kicker in all of this is Remedial is a fervent libertarian which is ironic on several levels. Oh, and other goonfleet directors were the only people at his wedding.

Some time later one of the better goonfleet trolls posed as someone interested in a threesome with remedial and his wife and conned remedial into sending pictures of his penis (mistake). Some time later I believe the same person faxed it to his law office - inappropriate, sure but hilarious. I mean "uh so boss why is someone faxing us this dick picture over and over again?"

All of that stuff is hilarious, and almost nobody really bears a grudge - though it's great fun to troll him over it - since hell, I made as much as he stole just this month in EVE, goonfleet has titans, and another goonfleet CEO topped his theft by an order of magnitude. It just will never cease to be the most hilarious refutation of libertarianism ever.

Scamming broke people though is really not funny and is really a terrible thing to do. I can see that maybe he got himself in over his head and he can't do anything else but keep going to keep himself financially stable but it's sad and it's wrong, and even if he's right that it's technically legal, it shouldn't be.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 24, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chakron posted:

Has this become the thread for making fun of Dan Dargon, or is it the Law Thread?

don't be so closeminded it's both

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this thread makes me sad there's not a good way for me to profit off the human misery it taps into

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bropocalypse now posted:

I'm considering UF law. can you tell me about your experience and where (other than going at all) you felt you went wrong? What would you do differently? I'd appreciate any kind of info, the more the better

If you are considering going to a low-ranked law school, "what went wrong" is not the right question: you need things to go very right, not merely not wrong.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

spoiler: yes. now let's see if it makes any sense.

When I saw it was a Kennedy opinion I figured no and it appears I was correct.

"that patent fails our unannounced test, which is not the transformation one. What, you want the actual test? screw you"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

EIGHT loving MONTHS OF WAITING FOR A PIECE OF poo poo THAT DOES ABSOLUTELY gently caress NOTHING

yes it does, it says "sue over every single process rejection because there is no accepted standard for those"

have fun!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alaemon posted:

5. Explain to the grader how the question is immoral and they are immoral for propagating a corrupt system and how Socrates would have imbibed all sorts of hemlock before he answered even ONE negligence question.

socrates imbibed hemlock rather than answer the question "so why shouldn't we kill you" he wasn't big on answering questions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

More importantly: what happens when you need her to do something before she goes home but you don't need to stay behind or other such fun situations where your secretary hates you?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

Why do law school admissions just look at GPA and LSAT instead of looking at applicants holistically like colleges do? There doesn't seem to be any particularly good reason for this particular disparity between undergrad and law school.

US News rankings.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

But why would the T14, for example, care, if they're so firmly entrenched at the top?

Because if you're Columbia being better than NYU is important: one school is the best in New York, and one is not. Same with Northwestern and UChicago: the T14 may be the T14, but they don't always keep their perticular rank in it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Isn't poofactory the eve guy whose dick got faxed to his office

as said before that was remedy/internetruleslawyer

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

billion dollar bitch posted:

I bid exclusively on DC firms for EIP. This year will be better than last year, right?

the people at columbia who did that last year got hosed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Okay, according to Columbia records, 24 people accepted offers at DC firms last summer. Given that only 266 people accepted offers in general, I think that's okay - a lot of the DC offices/firms didn't receive more than 20 bids or so. I don't know anyone else applying down in DC, either.

The problem with DC is it's the second-best law city, but there's just not that many jobs for people. There's so many more jobs avalible in New York that going pure-DC will be hard because more than 10% of the class will be interested in DC.

However, you've got a great backup plan if you want to be in DC since that's where a lot of the government jobs are, you should be looking at those as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OptimistPrime posted:

Right but that's not the use he was discussing. It probably needed more context but I got the sense that the wikipedia cite was to describe some technical background concept or establish a device using particular method of operation or something.

Plus it means their associate spent 5 minutes googling it instead of 10 hours looking it up in an obscure treatise, way too efficient to be good lawyering on a large (and I'm assuming high-budget) patent case.

The wikipedia cite is more insulting to the other side.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Of course I'll be applying to the government jobs as well - OCI isn't until later though.

But EIP bidding is over, and I'm locked in. All I really want is Crowell and Mooring, because they seem to treat their people very well, and seem to have a good atmosphere.

I really like my firm actually though the paralegal I was talking to last night was telling me horror stories, but fortunately they were mostly attorneys dumping huge amounts of work on her and then leaving for the day.

But yeah "treats their employees humanely" is basically the most important thing to look for right after "is this place firing everyone including you even though you don't even have a job yet they're just giving you an offer so they can fire more people"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I have no idea, frankly. The whole process is still opaque to me, even after going through it and while I know firms do GPA cutoffs (though I don't know how widespread it is, what it is, ect) I know nothing else about what goes into the decisions. I do know you'll loathe the doubletree and never want to see it ever again by the end though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

builds character posted:

This is what I thought before the crisis. Now I think that you should seriously consider prestige as a proxy for exit opportunities. Your life will probably be worse at a more prestigious firm but it may end up being worth it in the end.

To be honest, I hadn't really thought of that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

Seriously?

I ended up making my decision solely on layoff potential (though it worked out) but yeah, it just never really occured to me.

Worrying thing I just discovered: one of the paralegals just told me we have showers on one of the floors (not associated with a gym or anything). That's, uh, not a good sign.

How many significant figures should a GPA contain?

I think two is pretty standard.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBestDeception posted:

It was a trick question because Columbia doesn't officially recognize/provide GPA

that's what they say but then they award honors based on your non-existent gpa (though they don't provide it or their official method for calculating it)

low-tier honors is 3.410 or greater, high-tier honors is 3.800 or greater (but they don't recognize gpa!)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 16, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So it's basically like every other cool city in the US except in lovely texas

most east coast cities you party till 2, which is a severe problem if you get used to that and then come to new york and constantly accidentally stay out till 4 when you need to be functional the next day

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That's why God made Adderall.

how does adderall help with a hangover and four hours of sleep? cause if it does I'm so getting some

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jake1357 posted:

So what does Columbia actually give to students at the end of the semester? Just their grades in individual classes?

yep

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MoFauxHawk posted:

I thought median at Columbia was at least 3.3.

Edit: Also how do Columbia students know whether to calculate A- as 3.7 or 3.66, and B+ as 3.3 or 3.33? I guess you could look at how the undergrad does it. Or is there a standard for law schools?

After a lot of hunting around last year I found Columbia uses two digits but I don't recall how I figured that out. Since I had a lot of +'s but few -'s I wanted two digits so I needed to find something to justify that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Defleshed posted:

Go for it dude, being a paralegal is generally a lot less soul destroying than being a lawyer. Most of the paralegals I know work 9-5, are compensated well, and are never in on Saturdays/Sundays/Holidays.
That's not at all in line with what I've heard from talking with my firm's paralegals and other paralegals I know. Paralegals get the same sort of "poo poo, drop your plans and deal with this stack of documents" except some of the time it's as even the associate leaves. One girl I was talking to this week mentioned she'd been in until 3-4 several times...and still been expected to show up at 9 the next day. Frankly, it sounds like it can be worse than being an associate by a lot.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

made of paper posted:

I was more worried about being dropped in the deep end and seeing whether I sink or swim than anything else. Some people at my firm that were my age went from being in support to being fee earners but were in intermediate positions like clerking for a little while before becoming a paralegal.

Would this be a better idea, to wait for a position like that to come up or is the jump not as bad as I think it will be?

Wait, you're in Britian, right? I just noticed that A-levels business - most people's experiences here will be about American firms.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

_areaman posted:

I will drive my corolla until it catches fire and melts into the pavement, no matter how rich I am. Why waste money on a car? Housing is where it's at

because sometimes, working air conditioning is worth paying for

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

Spent the morning in court waiting to appeal a speeding ticket. My hearing was delayed 2 hours, and the entire time I listened to two PI lawyers talking about counterfiling crossmotions for years on end with insurance companies, as well about their goddamn exes with goddamn alimony.

I thank god every day I did not go to law school.

(was found 'not responsible' for the ticket as well! great morning!)

gotta say I enjoyed rolling into a social security appeal with another summer and an actual associate, in suits and with reams of documents for cases that people usually don't have any sort of lawyer to help them with

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yadayadayada posted:

Are hours that bad that your firm is triple-billing for one pro bono client?

We're summers, our time is worthless. The actual associate is there to make sure that we don't embarass the firm.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sure but that's no reason to delete years worth of hard work in college.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

entris posted:

I disagree with your characterization that the acquisition of pirated property is equivalent to hard work, unless you mean the hard work of the original creator of the property.

pimpin pirating ain't easy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

Anyone able to get the 2011 Vault profiles that came out today?

Yep, which one do you want?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GamingHyena posted:

Do you mean appeal as in the ALJ hearing or appeal as in appeals council review? (or federal district court :ohdear: )

PS doing Social Security law sucks and there's a reason why you don't have to be a lawyer to represent people there

ALJ, and I don't actually want to do it it's just neat being a fake lawyer even though we still need to be clear we're not admitted.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

entris posted:

I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana, seeing as how it is still illegal.

I think we can make colorable legal arguments for the repeal of many of the "absurd" older laws - eiither right to privacy or some other conlaw argument for invalidation.

I don't think we can make a reasonable argument for the repeal of intellectual property law so that piracy suddenly becomes ok. There's a big difference between legal absolutism and saying that it's wrong to steal other people's property- which is exactly what piracy is, despite young peoples' strange inchoate objections to the contrary.

be coo' man don't be dumping all this crazy legal talk here we just getting some music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

following the law is for squares