Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Keep posting. This thread helps me keep my sanity while I'm at the library. That and I also check Facebook every 2 or 3 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

The Arsteia posted:

conlaw exam in an hour and a half. i know my mccolloch. i know my dole. i know my pike and darby and jones & laughlin and lee optical, and my CCCCGG-MPLS, that is to say corfield v coryell, carolene, cruzan, casey, glucksberg, griswald, meyer, poe v ullman, lawrence, and saenz. lets. *chk chk* do this.

B

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

Awesome, looks like the curve is nice and low already.

Thank god for illiteracy at state schools.

And Professors too?

quote:

I don’t think there is much questions that this satisfies the commerce clause

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

wow, that guy is a pretty good singer.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I went to a party last night where two sophmores got really excited when I mentioned I was a law student. They indicated that they wanted to go to law school and started crowding really close to me. Before long they were fawning over me, touching me - laughing at jokes that weren't funny. I had both of them in the palm of my hand.

I tried to give them the spiel about how you shouldn't go to law school but all that I could see in their eyes was lust, for the prestige, for the 'big money,' for me. I could have taken them right there at the party and neither one of them would have objected.

Yeah, you could say that law school was a good investment :smug:

They were both dudes, dating each other

what the gently caress why didn't you take them home and fu.....oh

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I know you guys come here for your BREAKING NEWS

It's Kagan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36967616/ns/politics-supreme_court/

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Do you think its necessary to get professors to target rec letters for transferring? Like maybe I could have them write one target one for one school and then a general one for every other school?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Not surprisingly, my Con Law exam had a issue spotter of the Commerce Clause. Stupid Raich has made it way more confusing then it really should be.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

My last final is next Friday :(. Plus it is followed up with a 12 day writing competition with a bluebooking exercise that's guaranteed to be fun.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

Is there a motion I can file where I can get a judicial order proclaiming opposing counsel is a fuckface?

*checks rules book* You know I bet you could squeeze that under Rule 11 as a very colorable accusation.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have sent resumes to starbucks, borders, and chipotle. I have not heard back from any of them.

I've also sent resumes to 4 or 5 (non-law related) temp agencies. I have heard back from one of them. They said "sorry, can't help".

yeah a law degree doesn't make you employable bro sorry

http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp

Abandon all hope.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Blinkz0rz posted:

His assumption was that because a person didn't fit his initial profile of a person who would make it into a T14 school, there must be some other mitigating factor. That could be true. He could be a legacy, or famous, or any number of other things that might make this T14's admissions department choose him over someone else. But ewr2870 went with the guy being a URM.

That's pretty loving racist.

How is that racist when he has no clue as to the race of the person? If anything it is badmouthing the law schools saying they just take people who are underqualified.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

my civ pro exam had a discovery question about the body of a dead dog. Is that discoverable in order examine it? Rule 35 is mental and physical examinations, but that's for parties, not dead dogs.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

Wouldn't that just be a tangible thing under FRCP 34?

Yeah I actually did this. We did discovery last October so I pretty much skimmed all the discovery rules during the exam hoping for something I could argue and this was definitely the best thing. I'm really lucky I happened upon it.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

[GBS debate] If a cop asks to search my car, and I have nothing illegal inside, should I consent?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

done with 1L. everyone is going out to drink. i just want to sit here and do absolutely nothing.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I have a stack of class papers/notes that is at least a foot high and also a legislation and regulation book that is getting a new edition and so the bookstore wouldn't buy it back. Is there any reason to keep any this stuff? I am moving in a week. All I could think of is if I had to challenge a grade, but I don't know what good this stuff would really do.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

People like that are why the internet is so hilarious and yet so drat annoying at the same time. I guess his troll is both white supremacist and anti-lower class; I'm sure his future law school professors will love someone with such strong opinions.

Also I am 2 hours into the Bluebook exercise and I've made it through one sentence.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

SWATJester posted:

After a long rear end graduation where our dean (who is the chair of the UNCAT) rambled on about torture for 30 minutes in an incomprehensible accent, and AG Eric Holder gave us wisdom along with a couple shoutouts to some of the grads (one of whom he kissed on the forehead as she crossed the stage; I think she's his niece, because different last name but they look VERY similar), I'm now finished with this 3 year long nightmare.

A very very important question remains:

What is the correct term to use between now and the bar exam: Lawyer, or Attorney? I always thought Lawyer meant licensed to practice, but various web searches are informing me that it simply means that you were schooled in legal education, whereas an attorney need not necessarily have had formal education (i.e., Cali-style reading for the bar).

This is very important, I need to update my linked in to have the proper word following unemployed.

How about Dr. SWATJester, PhD in thinking like a lawyer.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Quick question, although the answer probably isn't very well known. I assume most law school applications allow you to choose multiple ethnicities, as LSAC does. Does that cancel out the URM status? I wouldn't feel comfortable reporting full URM even if the second ethnicity did cancel it out, so I won't change how I report, I'm just sort of curious if the URM advantage applies to mixed ethnicity circumstances.

Pretty much every application gives you the chance to write an optional essay on how your life circumstances make you an interesting candidate, so you could spin it to your advantage in that.

Also, I would think that in the diversity numbers published by schools they would want to put people who were only half to be able to increase those numbers.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Days of internship: 1
Number of issues unsuccessfully researched: 3-4

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

he;lp. How are lost wages damages calculated for employees who are fired while they are in a probationary period at the start of their employment? And, would reinstatement even be a possibility?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

Expert economist usually does it. It's usually a weekly wage times a period of time with calculated interest. But front pay is speculative as gently caress, that's why most statutes just allow for reinstatement. However, people really don't want that employee back and don't want to gently caress with a lawsuit, so they just pay you off.

Depends why they are fired. Federal wrongful termination under SOX allows for reinstatement, back pay, interest and attorneys' fees plus reinstatement. No front pay. I don't know your wacky rear end state law.

If your wacky rear end state law allows for front pay, make drat sure you've got a jury trial. Jury verdicts get deference but judicial verdicts get hosed in terms of damages when the case is appealed.

How is reinstatement even an option? Couldn't they just be reinstated back into the probationary position and fired for any reason?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

Well hell son, by all means hop in. I'm doing a legal malpractice suit for wrongful termination right now so I've left out some poo poo he might have to deal with. I also don't know if he's doing federal or state, if it's state it's likely completely different.

But for federal, I'm using Allen v. Administrative Review Bd.(I left some poo poo out about filing with the secretary of labor or whoever the gently caress he works for, I don't gotta deal with that part save for the burden shifting.)

Edit: I'm also operating under the assumption that, since it was a probationary period, a breach of contract claim doesn't apply. Even if a contract claim did apply, if you were going to calculate front pay, you'd still need an expert economist to calculate front pay and reduce it to present value. Kisses.

It's a whistleblower statute in MA. And from my circuitous research today, I guess front pay is a possible remedy. The plaintiff does have a duty to mitigate, but it does seem like the plaintiff could get a pretty big reward, especially in this economy when it's hard to find a job. I am only assuming that the statute applies to probationary period employees because it (seems like) it applies to at-will employees. The lawyer that assigned this to me just thought it didn't make sense that someone should be paid or reinstated when they were in the probationary period, so they have no real vested right to wages.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Oh sorry I've been posting in this old thread that is talking about how there are no jobs and that legal profession is awful.

I'm sure the new thread has a much brighter outlook.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I got a 164 too :(

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

7StoryFall posted:

Hey Tetrix, get all of your grades yet? I'm still missing my elective :/

Yeah got the final one today. On Wednesday I got my writing grade. It was not what I was expecting. I emailed the professor, and 3-4 hours later the grade was suddenly taken off the web. :lol: Anyways it was replaced today with a much better grade, so I've got them all. Apparently the wrong grades were put up for everyone and they were all taken down. My elective grade came out like May 25.

And I got pretty good grades, and I'm happy with them. I worked my rear end off, studied a lot, and literally bounced around 3 different study groups talking over civ pro practice exams. As much as all of you say it is arbitrary, I honestly got what I feel like I deserved (but that's because I am pretty happy with my grades). I'll shut up now because I don't want to give any hope to 0Ls. Law school isn't a whole lot of fun, and neither is researching issues for 8 hours a day like I'm doing in my summer job.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

toy posted:

i'm going to run my little situation by you all

i have a 170 / 4.0. good enough for a full scholarship from lewis & clark in portland, or, which is where i currently live & want to continue living. i'm interested in environmental issues (i spend much of my time as an env. activist). L & C appeals to me not only because it's here in portland, but also because they strive for a less competitive/cutthroat atmosphere, have an environmental advocacy center on campus that does good work, and is consistently rated as one of the top "environmental law" schools, for whatever that's worth. they also offer some sort of certificate along with your degree if you focus on env. law.

i've sat through some law classes there and find them fairly interesting and enjoy being in school generally. also i know several people that have graduated from there and they all have had good things to say about the school and have pretty good jobs

i have less than 4k in undergrad debt and don't care about making a ton of money (or much at all; i've been living happily on 12k/year recently). i am somewhat interested in serving in public office/working with an environmental nonprofit.

am i going to THROW MY LIFE AWAY by going to law school? or does this sound like a reasonable decision. THANKS GOONS

The general advice from this thread is 1. don't go to law school 2. if going, go to the best possible school you can. With those numbers, you would be very competitive at Berkeley and decently competitive at Stanford, so you could stay decently close to Portland. Apply early.

A full ride is great and all, but if you can't get a job after slogging away for 3 years, what's the point? Also people rail against L and C in here. ps Certificates and stuff like that along with a degree are pretty meaningless.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

FREE RINGTONEZ posted:

I'm almost done with my first year as a lit associate at a big NY firm. I'm happy to take questions.

BTW, one of the greatest and most helpful OPs I've seen.

Where did you go to school, and how did you get the job?

Do you enjoy your job? (is it at least interesting, I know it's a lot of work)

Do you prefer snorting off the hooker's rear end or tits?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

You have to recognize my divinity and that the federal government is controlled by the antichrist through the federal reserve.

Also, childbrides.

can we stock the pantry with kraft mac n cheese

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Career services says:

quote:

With regard to GPA and class percentage on your resumes: Our general advice is to include your GPA if it is above a 3.0 and to exclude your GPA if it falls below 3.0. If you indicate your GPA, THERE IS NO ROUNDING UP. For example, if your GPA is a 3.326 you must indicate it as 3.326, 3.32 or 3.3. Our general advice is to indicate class percentage if you are in the top 30%. Should you decide to include your class percentage STATE EXACTLY AS IT IS INDICATED IN THE GRADE DISTRIBUTION CHART PROVIDED BY THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE.

Employer goons: should I really not round up my hundredths place digit? In that example I would want to put 3.33.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Lykourgos posted:

umm...

"here is a school rule that says I cannot do x. Can I do x?"

If you want us to say something like "well, it's unlikely anybody will notice," then okay. But it's pretty clearly against your school's policy, according to your post.

If I did everything exactly like my Career Services office said to I'd probably be dead in a ditch somewhere.

I just want to know if this is common practice anywhere else or just a stupid thing they made up out of nowhere.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

I am Daniel Dargon! :ms:

no, I'M Daniel Dargon.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

i'm pretty excited to take intelligence law it will be pretty helpful when i become a secret agent in a few years. it was my second choice after the animal law class was canceled.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

7StoryFall posted:

The IRS is interviewing at my school for both 2Ls and 3Ls. That suggests there are openings. Or will be, next summer, at least.

Are you going to apply to them? I think I'm going to apply to every federal employer in DC, NY, and on campus OCI.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Thoughts on joining a secondary journal? Is it worth the work? I would like to clerk if possible, so that weighs in favor of it. Am I going to get pigeonholed by employers thinking that I am only interested in the topic of the journal?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

Shouldn't you be able to calculate your GPA from that? I don't see the point of that system

insert stupid joke that every professor makes that "i know you went to law school so you wouldn't have to do math LOL"

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

For these form 6524 and form OF-306 which need a signature that I'm doing for the IRS for OCI, am I supposed to print it out, sign it, and then scan it back in? Seems to degrade the quality a little.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

pie eating contest where the reward is more pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Mookie posted:

Anyone able to get the 2011 Vault profiles that came out today?

So did your firm move up, down, or stay the same?