Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Draile posted:

Are all the words on these last two pages still about downloading music

Couldn't tell you, I was too busy downloading Britney Spears' discography to read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

the only thing that's mean is you guys, to prospective students of our noble profession

lol math joke

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

177!

And I got loving waitlisted at Wisconsin.

probably because they knew you would never go there in a million years. its all about keeping those numbers up

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

the last 5 pages of this thread should be printed out and handed to everyone thinking of going to law school with the title "your future classmates!"

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I get the feeling that Izzy is not just great at interviews, but is the greatEST in the world.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

There must be some 0L book that says "highlight facts in orange, holding in purple etc." I seem to see that.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

How is having 3 half hour interviews in about 5 hours?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Can anyone recommend a cheap (not a bench on the National Mall thx) hotel in DC? I don't know whether my interviews will be at separate places or at one location, but I would prefer near the attractions as much as possible. I want to stay a weekend too, so I'm sure rates are jacked up.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HooKars posted:

Soooo... I got an offer at one of the firms I interviewed at last month!

Everyone have a drink for me. Only took one and a half years.

Congrats and good luck!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

Do you have any idea on the turnaround for government callbacks in DC looks like?

Our DC OCI isn't even until September 13.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

7StoryFall posted:

That's because DC doesn't want us.

gently caress that HERE I COME

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I might have asked this before, but... when spamming government employers via email with my cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript, should I attach them as one .doc or .pdf or attach 3 separate documents?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

3 interviews today. The one with the big firm had two guys. One of the guys spent the entire time checking his Blackberry and looking up at me occasionally. Not expecting a call back.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

chinchilla posted:

Sorry, I hate to drag the thread off topic, but I have a quick question about law school.

Will anyone care if I've been on an undergrad mock trial team? Is it worth fitting into a very tight schedule? Or is it on the same level as paralegal work -- useful to get a taste of the profession, but holding no weight on an application?

e: Just to clarify, I read the OP and I get the idea that LSAT-GPA index trumps everything. But I also saw that mock trials / moot courts in law school are good resume fluff, so I figure it's worth asking.

Pretty meaningless in the application process (unless you win the world championship or something), but you could be asked about it in a legal interview or two. But, it might be good for solely your own personal gain. I think anything that forces you to stand up in front of people and speak is good. It will make you far less nervous when you get called on in law school.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

you know when we actually talk about the law this thread kinda sucks

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Incredulous Red posted:

Lawyersaurus rex

I am a lawyer. Color my sombrero important.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

forums cancer light text gives me a headache

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

tgm posted:

I haven't poked my head in here for a while, but I just wanted to note that I get to meet the man, the myth, the legend - Justice Scalia next Wednesday as he helps christen my TTT's new building.

please print out the legislative history comic from one or two pages ago and find some way to give it to him

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm working for $15/hour doing plaintiff's work.

gently caress law.

Well if it makes you feel any better I just did the calculation and I go about 10 dollars deeper into debt every hour. Although technically I already took out these loans so I have them no matter what.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

me with the woman cutting my hair today at super cuts:

"so what are you studying in school"
"oh, i'm actually in law school"
"oh really, my sister does that in LA, she's in celebrity law"
"oh great..."
"yeah its tough i hear, but if you get the right cases i guess you can make good money"
"yeah, and that must be tough to break into. tough to get good clients"

:gonk:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Vander posted:

Just about. This kid's the former star quarterback of the highschool football team. This accident gives him seizures so he can't play ball anymore. He's suing car driver's employer for lost earning capacity: College scholarships AND NFL career.

drat that sucks. I hope he is fairly compensated for all the hot chicks that would've wanted in his pants for the next several years.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Does it really take 4-6 weeks for the items I got with my Westlaw points to arrive?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

J Miracle posted:

My LR casenote won a writing contest...publication in the Food & Drug Law Journal plus 4 grand cash prize.

SUBMIT YOUR poo poo there's money to be made.

woah congrats. got any tips on writing it?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

How the gently caress do you search for docket number on westlaw? All I've got is No. 89–2980 from the DC District in 1992.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Thanks y'all, I'm guessing the author messed the date up.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

just leave

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

I walked out in the middle of a seminar yesterday when it went 1 minute over.

The seminar has 8 people.

It's a round table and I was sitting next to the professor.

this is pretty lol

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

have fun at yale. or its little brother harvard

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

My friend got into the current 1L class at Harvard with Teach for America, 172/3.8.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Green Crayons posted:

Next time I see a 5 o'clock-and-change Grundy post, I can only assume some child out there isn't getting a healthy breakfast/lunch that day.

Ate these almost daily and look at me now, I'm in law school!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

What source can I use as authority for the size of the Beaufort Sea? This is for journal. Do I dare use Wikipedia?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

Not USAO. One of the alphabet soup agencies.

Can you get me a 2L job? I have pretty good grades!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

GregNorc posted:

Let's say, hypotheitically, someone has a not so great GPA (3.2ish) from a lower ranked (in the 30s) school.

If said person went and did a master's at a fancy name brand uni, and pulled a 4.0 in said master's, would that be looked at rather than undergrad GPA institution? Eg, now you're some guy from a fancy school with a 4.0 and decent LSAT rather than a guy with a (relatively) lovely GPA and unknown undergrad?

Said person should go get a Masters in Accounting at a fancy school, get a job with one of the Big 4 accounting firms, and live happily ever after with soul crushing hours.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

This article isn't about lawyers at all, but I just love this quote from the beginning of it.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2010/10/15/08teachers.h30.html?tkn=SXRFLiKo4WXZz3k3bQqcOgDqM%2FC7MRgpZykk&cmp=clp-edweek

quote:

Countries with the best-performing school systems largely recruit teachers from the top third of high school and college graduates, while the United States has difficulty attracting its top students to the profession, a new report finds.

Salary is keeping some top graduates away, say the authors. A starting teacher in New York City makes about $45,000, while a starting lawyer makes $160,000.

Yep. Starting lawyers make 160k.

Tetrix fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2010

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I thought it was funny that she didn't know what the 14th and 16th amendments were when someone asked whether she favored repealing them. And then I realized I didn't know what the hell the 16th amendment was. And I'm in law school. And I'm in Tax.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Red Bean Juice posted:

Justice Breyer swung by today, and I got him to sign a comic

hahahahahah that's really cool

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Federal gov. employee goons: Does FOIA actually require the federal government retain documents, or are the only documents that can be requested ones that the agency randomly decided to keep?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Bud Manstrong posted:

Had a client threaten to "liquidate" someone today.

More importantly

law school applications just went up 10% with that picture.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

BC people are fleeing to Maine for summer jobs. Abandon hope.

edit-

Stunt Rock posted:

:smug:

just hoping one day I can have an job. with an office. where i can hang movie posters.

good placement though.

Tetrix fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

CLS people, do you have any recommendations on which 1L elective I should take? Here are the options:

Law and Economics (Prof. Victor Goldberg)
Legislation (Prof. Richard Briffault)
Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)
Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)
Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)
The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

I'm leaning toward Critical Legal Thought, Legislation, and the International class but I'm generally pretty open-minded.

Not a CLS person, but if Foundations of the Regulatory State is just a fancy name for Admin Law, I'd take that. If you want to work for a federal agency or department it will be a good selling point in interviews and cover letters.