Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I've seen a lot of people in this thread (well, the last one) say "so what if I can't get a biglaw job, I'll just get a job with a district attorney, public defender, ACLU, international law panda"
These jobs are loving hard to get. Combine the overload of law students with the crunch of public budgets, and the only way you're getting a job if someone dies.
Find one of those spots? Good luck.
DA and PD offices don't care about where you went to law school, they care about how much experience you have, and it needs to be local experience. Did you work for a PDs office in state X for years in LS? In state Y no one cares, even if you have trial experience. Did you go to UVA, work in the federal defender's honors program and want a job in CA? Have fun not being hired because a non-accredited law grad who look 5 times to pass the bar worked for free at a nearby PDs office.
PD and DA jobs only come to those who are willing to work for free for a few months after you pass the bar these days.
Most postings for entry level DA/PD positions are kind of shams to let the free help get jobs. You will never beat the guy they know and wanted to hire anyway.

Finally, the hiring people have a pretty good idea of who is actually interested in criminal law and who is interested in civil. Did you do your 2L year at civil firm? Rejected. No clinics/internships at DA/PD offices? Rejected. They feel wrong about you? Rejected.

If you want a DA/PD office job, you need to start by the beginning of your 2L year (if not before) in the state you want to work in. It isn't a backup job.

Oh and civil law sucks.

In Alaska, you pretty much can't get a PD/DA job unless you clerk for a year as well. In fact, 100% of the DAs and PDs I know in Alaska have clerked for state superior court judges, oddly enough. Also, you always need to start in bumblefuck nowhere before you can get a good position. I know in MN as well, the Mpls/St Paul people are much much more likely to hire you if you put in your time in Bumblefuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fictitious posted:

I took the hardest exam I've ever taken in my life this afternoon. It was about soap. The whole thing was about soap.

Objectively the hardest exam I've ever taken was all about statues. And the class was statute based. A statute based statue exam. gently caress you, JTY.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

For some reason I think you go to UMN.
If this is true, take the evidence class over the summer (esp if Cribari is taking it). You will thank me later.
If you don't, for others who might: Take Cribari's summer evidence course. You'll get an "A," you'll learn the gently caress out of evidence, and because the class is small he can write you a real letter of recommendation.

I loved the gently caress out of Cribari's evidence class I took three semesters ago that I just got done tutoring two people taking his final this semester. Goddamn what a useful class.

In fact, Evidence (and to a lesser extent CrimPro) may be literally the only useful practical class I've ever taken in law school. Clinics have been helpful, if we don't define them as classes, then Evidence may just be the only useful class. Hmph.

Also, I told my parents the reason I wasn't walking at graduation was "gently caress these dickheads who want to charge me $200 for walking, law school is already a scam I'm not letting them milk me for more."

They replied: "It's not a scam you spent three years getting an education."

Yes, parents, we'll call it that.

Edit: also, other graduating 3Ls, what percentage of your class is so disinterested in graduating law school that they refuse to walk? I wouldn't say 1/4 of my class isn't walking, but it's pretty darn close.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 8, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

OptimistPrime posted:

What the hell are they doing? I think about 90-95% of my class walked, and we weren't charged extra as far as I can recall (UMN '08).

Yup we're being charged. Seriously, only half the class is still disillusioned enough to be proud of graduating law school. At least ten of us have completely convinced our families not to show up. My mother (who didn't walk during her nursing graduation) agreed with me, god bless her soul.

Edit: it's actually hilarious to find someone who is excited to be graduating law school in this economy. I always ask "what's your job?" and they say "oh I'm working on a DFL election." "Oh, doing legal work?" "No, canvassing."

Of the three people (THREE) I know who have lucrative, permanent employment after law school, two are alcoholics and one is a gay man married to a woman. In my three years of law school, I have met a grand total of two people who have a happy relationship, are healthy (read: not boozers) and have permanent jobs that pay $50k and $BigLaw. So people will excuse us if we don't feel like walking.

nm posted:

The most important part of graduation is getting drunk with your friends though.

Yup we're doing that too.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 8, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you know when you need to start preparing for your teaching job (or when you want to start preparing) then give notice now. As long as it's at least two weeks, notice is professionally given, but the longer the better.

Edit: Or mention it off-handedly at a cocktail party that you're leaving in two months, then don't mention it again. See if they remember to stop paying you.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Final final trip report: Didn't read a single word of the book, went to half the classes, but I read E&E. I crushed it, out in an hour and a half of a four hour exam. This proves that most classes and textbooks are useless.

My only fear is that I talked about cases he didn't cover in class. In which case, sorry I know more than everyone.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
UMN Chat: Out newly super conservative Governor Pawlenty (who used to be intelligent until he wanted to be President) convinced his good friend Mr. Chief Justice of the MN Supreme Court to step down, at which point Pawlenty appointed his Whore of the Supreme Court to Chief Justice (she's a Whore because it has taker her literally less than a year to go from Assistant County Prosecutor --> County Attorney --> District Judge --> SCOMN --> CJ of SCOMN). As soon as she was appointed, Pawlenty somehow managed to nominate the loving UMN Professor Stras, who is about as dumb as a loving doornail and proudly clerked for loving Thomas to SCOMN.

Also, the reason Mr. Chief Just stepped down is because Pawlenty took less than a year at the beginning of his term to nominate his good friend to CJ as well.

God what a shitbag. If any of you vote for Pawlenty / Palin in 2012 I'm murdering your entire family.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
1L grades coming back should be a win/win. You either do well enough to stay in law school or poorly enough to drop out.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

soj89 posted:

You guys must have some really nutso civpro exams. Ours was 50 multiple choice 10 true false and a 5 mark short answer. What's the American one like?

Two semesters with 8 hour take homes, three questions each, 12 page limit. Each exam had a question, and I quote, "How do you feel about the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure? Be sure to cite specifics." The other two questions were lovely issue spotting. 92% of the class got Bs.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I just got done talking to my cousin, who is the CFO's second-in-command to a nosebleed firm. He consults the summer associate program. Rather, he consultED on the summer associate program before they canceled their entire summer associate program.

He agreed with me on the following points:

a) Anyone not in T1 should drop out.
b) Anyone who does not want to work in rural Alaska public sector (rural Alaska has an x% public sector cost of living stipend) and wants to work in public sector should drop out.
c) Anyone who graduates without a job offer may as well not waste time on the bar exam because he doesn't know of a single private firm hiring outside of summer associate programs. I added that I don't know a single (of the very few I know) public sector positions open to recent graduates who haven't clerked.
d) Anyone between bottom T1 and T14 in the lower 50% should drop out.
e) He's not even considering Harvard grads. Edit: I meant Harvard 2Ls. Neither.

Also, my BarBri class chose today to announce a change in the class schedule. I start tomorrow at 8am instead of 6pm, with the same 9 hours of work to do, which I was going to do tomorrow morning. God I hate(d) law school.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 24, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Defleshed posted:

No I get that, but why would he write a letter about it knowing it was conceivable that he would end up having to hear the case?

Maybe he wanted to make sure the appellate judges knew the real deal because the record was getting developed in such a way that made the police conduct seem more constitutional than it really was. Still an iffy move, but probably not unprecedented for a trial judge to say "no, really, don't overturn me this time."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Warp posted:

Hello, I had a question that my girlfriend is kind of embarrassed to ask. She just recently graduated from Berkeley with a dual major, but alas the best Law School she can get accepted to right now is LaVerne or Western State University.

Can anyone help her choose between these two? She feels like it's all kind of pointless and that she should just pick whichever one gives her a slightly better scholarship, but I figured I'd ask you guys, my goony professional heroes :allears:

If your girlfriend goes to one of those two law schools, dump her. If she's that dumb she shouldn't procreate. If she's that dumb AND that poor, then you should just loving run. Holy poo poo.

The Warp posted:

No, she's not dumb at all.

While she's pretty dumb for even considering one of those law schools, she's not irreparably dumb because she may just be starstruck by the prospect of going to law school. If she actually decides to go, however, then she is in fact a giant loving moron.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Jesus loving christ. I just met some ditz who I went to high school with in my Bar/Bri class. She mentioned that she has a job lined up to replace the only immigration lawyer for ~30% of Alaskan boroughs. That's a shitton of Russians she automatically gets as clients right out of law school because her boss when she was an intern (her future boss's ex-coworker) decided to take several bribes and get disbarred. And she went to a bottom of the shitpile TTT. I want to stab her with an icepick and take her job.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Chakron posted:

How do you feel about sex change operations?

If I knew how to speak Russian fluently, I would literally consider slicing my dick off to get her cushy 150k+ small firm, easy hour, zero client hunting, immigration form-filling-out job.

Edit: while I would consider it, I am 100% positive that there would be a long line absolutely committed to slicing their dicks off for this job

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 2, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think this is a misuse of the word "literally". I might suck a dick for that job but I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep mine and be homeless if those were the only two choices

don't be overdramatic dude

This is why republicans are cutting jobless benefits. Nobody has the will to go the extra mile and consider slicing off their junk for a job.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

quotison posted:

I think every state is two days except California and Louisiana.

Alaska is three days! Hooray!

Also, I was reading up on U.S. Territories today, and I learned that the Northern Mariana Islands a) has a 100% bar passage rate, and b) is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the most equitable climate on the planet. Therefore, their bar exam is easy and their climate is breezy. And they're right next to Guam, so you can hang out with all the cool kids who have jobs on the big island.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I think I just got my first work. A friend of mine is trying to sell his home-made halfpipe (for skateboarding) on Craigslist and asked me advice for writing up something to release him from liability. I told him to gently caress off since I don't pass the bar until next month - knock on wood - but then he offered to actually pay me. I haven't the slightest idea about anything, but I said I'll go for it!

Oh, god.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 9, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the offer Ainsley. What if I get everyone including me, the seller. and the buyer drunk while I'm writing it, will that count enough to get you to represent me? 'Cause, you know, I'm a lawyer in small town Alaska. We don't gently caress around with our drinkin'.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

PastaSky posted:

I'm currently an undergrad in physics and am looking into my options for the future.
I'm not particularly interested in continuing on to grad school in physics, perhaps math or mech E instead. It has been suggested that I look into patent law. Being a lawyer doesn't really sound like my kind of thing, and from reading this thread, it doesn't seem like I should. So I'm curious if some one could shed some light it. Just googling around it seems like being a regular lawyer, and similar salaries as what was shown here in general.

Edit: I just noticed the last post was in feb, did we get a new thread?

Absolutely don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer. This isn't a play-time fall-back daddy-wants-me-to-go-to-grad-school general education school. It's a very specific school that (while it doesn't actually teach you any skills) purports to teach you a specific set of skills that are only applicable to a specific set of jobs. A J.D. is 100% useless in any job that isn't a lawyer job, and will in fact make it almost impossible to find a real job because every non-lawyer employer on the planet somehow thinks that having a J.D. makes you overqualified for something. Ask every person in this thread who is frantically applying to Starbucks if their J.D. is an asset to non-lawyer jobs.

Also, just as a side note, I went to a very good but non T14 school. There were a grand total of two guys in my class with PhDs in hard sciences - one in Pharmaceuticals and one in BioChem or something. There was also a grand total of ONE patent firm hiring, and they hired a grand total of ONE person. They turned down the BioChem guy. Even though he got a 100% free ride when he applied, his life is still ruined because he had to take loans out for rent/books/food, lost three years' salary, and nobody on the planet will hire him. Big boy firms only hire from summer associate pools, and little firms / gov't people think the PhD makes him overqualified.

If you don't have a PhD before going to law school and you don't go to HYS, then your job prospects in the patent field are only slightly better than the rest of us. If you are smart enough to make through a physics undergrad, then you are smart enough not to go.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 13, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I'm sitting here taking BarBri notes on some random Tort poo poo at 11pm, and it suddenly dawned on me that if I had one singular Convisor book during 1L, I would have easily gotten straight As without even thinking about anything. Maybe it was the fact that I was in a horrendous accident 1L year and spent several weeks in the hospital and thus didn't learn poo poo, but this loving book and these loving lectures make literally everything make so much sense. All those loving cases, all those loving nit picky rules just... make sense. drat. You future 1Ls should get ahold of some barbri books. gently caress Chemerinsky and other outlines, this poo poo be easy.

Edit: it's probably because I like big picture analysis, and spending a week on subject 4(3)(a)(6) in class didn't make rule 4 memorable.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 16, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

I Am Not Clever posted:

Is the outlook really that grim?

YES you goddamn retard. It's loving WORSE than he's saying. U of Oregon is a loving joke school. I would say you will get laughed out of any job you apply for, but employers won't even loving spend enough time on your application to laugh. They'll just throw it in the loving trashcan without a second thought. "Well regarded in their region" doesn't make one iota of a loving difference when Harvard grads are willing to murder for any job your dumb rear end is applying for.

Also, if you're just Ainsley's other account trolling us again, then kudos to you. But if you're a serious poster and this is a serious post, then you need to not loving go to law school. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: if you don't know enough to know that USNWR stats are the epitome of "made up used-car-salesmen poo poo" then you REALLY don't know enough to know what you're getting into.

Edit2: Just don't go. Just don't. When we say there are no jobs, we don't mean "only those who work hard get a job" we mean "there are literally 2 jobs per 250 person graduating class."

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 17, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Readman posted:

Out of curiousity, is the outlook for the legal profession in America much worse than for other sectors? I had the impression that everything was pretty crap.

The legal profession in American has chosen to adopt a for-profit approach to law school. The more people who go, the more money our loan sharks, the American Bar Association, and the Universities make. It makes absolutely no difference that in the 50+ jurisdictions in the country, there are a grand total of 5000 jobs per year. If they can get 35,000 people to pay for law school, who cares? You think I'm exaggerating. I'm not.

Contrast this to the American Dental Association, which does not even acknowledge rankings much less participate in them, and also regulates the number of dentists graduating dental school each year. The American Medical Association has "Boards" where you go up and get grilled by #1 specialty experts on everything from colonoscopies to appendectomies to dermatological balding cures. If you don't have a sufficient knowledge about everything there is to know about medicine, you don't get your certification. They also regulate who graduates by having actual difficult classes and a really really advanced level of intelligence required to the get the fancy letters after your name.

For lawyers, you need to re-memorize everything your worthless professors failed to teach you during a few weeks in 1L to pass the bar (but they never told you what was going to be on the bar). Oh, and if you didn't know what accreditation meant before going to law school, then you better pray you guessed correctly on where you wanted to go.

The legal profession is not "worse than other sectors," it is absolutely and literally the hands-down 100% most useless loving awful "professional employment tract" to get into out of any profession in the U.S. right now.

Edit: Technically, I think Chiropractors have it worse than we do, but at least they aren't misled so fundamentally into believing that their school is anything but a scam. We get lied to. Most of us don't know it's a scam until we're halfway through first year.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 17, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

should've gone with clown college

According to Faust(?), at least some clowns are sad. Lawyers need to pretend to care about their whiney loving clients. Therefore, clowns are more emotionally stable than most lawyers. QED.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mookie posted:

On a positive note, the lateral biglaw market is starting to pick up. For the first time in a while, I've started getting a bunch of headhunters calling to try and sell a new job on me.

Unfortunately for a lot of people, I've heard that all of these are only for people who currently have full-time associate positions. In other words, unemployed need not apply.

In short: Don't go. No jobs. Die alone.

Fun fact: I was chatting with a hiring partner at a very well regarded but lower-big sized firm about hiring out of clerkships, and she laughed at me. I was only talking to her because it was a party that the firm sponsored and my roommate got a +1 guest invitation, but I stared incredulously at her in response. "But what about State Supreme Court clerks and Fed'l Appellate Clerks? They don't have a chance?" Laughter. loving laughter. If you think the unemployed have a chance, you're so incredibly naive.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 19, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

~*~course chat~*~

How's this for 3L course padding:

Law of War
Law & Literature
History of CrimLaw
International CrimLaw
(and a few important ones like Sexual Offences)

There's no international animal rights law class being offered :(

Isn't History of CrimLaw just the crimlaw you took in 1L? How much more antiquated can that poo poo get?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

GamingHyena posted:

I have an intern who seems to be uncommonly bad at every task I've given him. This isn't my first intern and I know not to expect much out of law students in terms of actually knowing anything. However, this one fucks up even the simplest research assignments and it takes me lots of time and multiple corrections to get him to make even routine motions ready.

Technically, this shouldn't even be my problem as he is not MY personal intern, but after turning in a few botched assignments every other attorney in the office avoids him like the plague. I feel sorry for the guy, but babysitting isn't in my job description and I'm starting to give him fewer and fewer assignments because I'm tired of spending unnecessary hours cleaning up after his mistakes.

Advice?

Send him to court to watch proceedings, or "second chair" some routine poo poo.

Petey posted:

Just got back from 10 days in Alaska.

Cons: not Guam; indeed, Alaska
Pros: still insanely beautiful, and you can probably find work as one of those people who poses as a mountie as the cruise ships dock

The Bethel, Alaska DA's office is practically begging people to apply. Pretty good cost of living bonus, and good fishing. The residents of bustling Bethel hate DAs though. And the PD is everyone's best friend. It's like a bizarro world.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 3, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

GregNorc posted:

Doesn't Alaska literally pay you to live there?

Yeah. And no taxes. And the cost of living bonus in Bethel is absurd. Of course, so is the cost of living. Also, Bethel is literally a shithole.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

How so? A um, friend wants to know

Probably 90% of the towns people are soul-crushing alcoholics. I think it's a damp town (booze only in homes, no bars) but it might be wet. Did you ever do a case race in college? Where you and some frat friends sit down a see how quickly you can drink 24 beers? They do that, except it's two guys and twelve quarts of vodka, and it's every day.

And it's super isolated. It's way off the road system, which means you have to fly to Anchorage. I think it's a large enough town to have basic modern amenities, but I don't really know for sure.

Edit: It's also one of the ADA offices where people show up and immediately get in line for the good offices. A lot of ADAs pay their dues in lovely places before moving to better areas. And the pay is insane, as I mentioned, because of the cost of living bonus. I don't know the exact figure, but a similar rural PD job paid like $125k starting. It's also beautiful if you like fishing.

The ADA office also just advertised for Kodiak, which I don't know anything about.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 4, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

In Skagway one of our guides paid $640 a month for an 8x5 foot camper (with no bathroom or shower; YMCA for those) resting on 10 square feet of land literally right next to where the passing scenic trains dumped their latrine waste.

There are some towns in Alaska where housing is super expensive because land is so limited (between valleys, on an island, etc) that they can't physically build enough houses for everyone who wants to live there. In many cities near coast guard bases, they will buy any land at market value, site unseen, as soon as it goes on the market. In other parts of Alaska, there are still homesteading cities where as long as you agree to improve the land the government will give it to you for free.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I officially spent all of July 4th doing BarBri poo poo. God I hate law school, even when I've graduated law school.

Edit: And by "all of July 4th" I mean I literally haven't seen another human being today. I sat in an abandoned office building at my desk writing Contracts flash cards and practicing MPTs. gently caress.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Elotana posted:

Man, I'm staying at home for six weeks just because I'm in between leases and to busy bar studying to move, and I don't know why anyone older than 20 would do this voluntarily. Even if money is tight, a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate is infinitely preferable socially and psychologically. Hell, I'll be making midlaw money in Houston and I was even giving some thought to splitting an apartment with a friend for the first year just so I can sock some savings away.

I'm house sitting my parent's place while I wait for my brother to get back to town so we can get a place. Technically not living with my parents. Also, technically my bedroom isn't quite in the basement (but it's close).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

JudicialRestraints posted:

Doctor's are like lawyers but when they gently caress up someone dies. Their profession stopped being noble when Pfizer bought it. If I could get away with it I would do entirely medical malpractice simply because the current medical profession deserves to be bankrupted with tort suits.

Chiropractors aren't doctors dude.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Arsteia posted:

Woo hoo transferring to Minnesota!

Take all the Feld classes you can. And Simon. Simon can get you hooked the gently caress up with jobs, and Feld is just 100% awesome.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Oakdale posted:

Hey guys, I've been checking this thread since December '09 and I just wanted to say that, about 3 weeks before starting law school, I'm pulling out. This includes giving up a most-of-tuition-paid scholarship. The depressing poo poo about employment just kept creeping up on me and I couldn't shake the horrible feeling that I might be getting into debt for a terrible reason. So congratulations, you've swayed another would-be law goon. I guess I'm either gonna go work lovely jobs for a year in Texas and hang out with old friends or teach English in Japan, then apply to grad school for Agricultural Economics. gently caress. I have to get my quantitative score on the GRE higher now... but oh well.

Dibs on taking personal credit for this one.

Good choice. I don't know what Agricultural Economics entails, but it sounds like watching the grass grow. Oddly enough, that's more exciting than law school.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Defenestration posted:

We have a shower in my publishing company. I wouldn't worry about it

When they start giving out free greeting cards and pantyhose, then you should worry

Every company should have showers. It'd encourage fatties to bike to work. I feel passionate about this issue, oddly enough. I feel passionate about showering with my coworkers.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Also, for those of us taking the bar, is it worrisome that I remember 100% of my mnemonics but don't remember what they all apply to? I remember "MD's favorite son" (MDFVSO) but don't remember what it's for, and North Minneapolis, Witch Doctor vs Aorta (NMPLSMDVSAO) but don't remember what it's for. Oh, god.

Edit: I even remembered how to spell mnemonics on my first try :ohdear:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 17, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

J Miracle posted:

Could you tell me what these words mean

Smart people. Real smart. At least eleven times smarter than the smartest person at a TTT, and probably twice as smart as those lower T14 kids.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Leon Kowalski posted:

I did. I start law school in a month, so I don't have much law school insight yet to contrast with my grad school experience.

What did you want to know?

Why. God, why?

Unless you're getting a free ride by virtue of your pre-existing PhD in hard sciences, which you aren't using because you decided you hated hard sciences and you're hoping you can backdoor into patent law.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

lipstick thespian posted:

Opened my mail and apparently my application for student aid/loans for this semester has been denied. The worst part is that it's because of a stupid technicality with how law school finals work, that they SHOULD be aware of and that I even explicitly told them about in the application. All this really means is I will have to call them and explain to them AGAIN how the system works, but it's still annoying.

Maybe it's time to vote Ron Paul and cast off the shackles of well-meaning but misguided bureaocracy once and for all.

According to my favorite blog, not just law schools but undergrads also do this as a huge money maker. The ol' bait and switch for scholarships. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

lipstick thespian posted:

I don't pay tuition so this is strictly loans for CoL. Law school in Uppsala only has one final per semester, rather than one final for torts and one for IP and so on. As a result, there's a need to be able to postpone doing the final (if, say, you feel you could get better grades doing so) and still be able to continue with the next semesters. It's just that it's the only school in Sweden that functions in that way, which obviously causes problems. It'll all be cleared up with a phonecall, but... :shobon:

Goddamn Swedes and your superior everything.