Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Good luck kids. 12 hours and our pain will start, 63 hours for it to end.

Also why does my bar testing site want hand writers to show up half an hour before computer takers? Does that seem odd to anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
gently caress all y'all and your easy bar exams. Alaska has mandatory ~40% failure rate.

Also, our first question was an hour long essay on AKRCP 14(B)(1)(d)(iii)(x). Christ that was painful. I almost guessed the right rule too. I nailed the other two hour long essays and the two MPTs though so meh.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jew Bear posted:

My friend's hubby just transferred from Valpo to Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis (incoming 2L). From this thread, I gather that either means he's not totally boned or he'll be making $14/hr as a Costco clerk rather than $10/hr as a barista.

Also, how boned are you if you don't intern anywhere between 1L and 2L?

Several big firms hire their 2L summer associates out of their 1L summer associate pool, and as a result extend offers to all their 2L summer associates. It will also get your foot in the door for a clerkship if you can land in the right DA/PD office.

The consensus is do anything. Firm's 1L associate > DA/PD > "externing" for a judge > research assistant for a prof > WoW and classes.

Edit: To put this advice into context: I just told a friend of mine who's about to begin at Rutgers that if he didn't land a summer associate position to quit after 1L.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Man, today we got loving nailed with 75% of a property essay about Lis Pendens. I vaguely remembered that I head about it once, but had no clue what it was about. Exactly zero people knew a drat thing about it, and it was the subject of most of our essay. Jesus Christ. BarBri didn't even mention it, neither in the state portion nor the national portion.

Luckily they gave enough context where I was able to fairly accurately guess the rule to some degree, but a ton of people just randomly guessed poo poo and totally got it wrong. God I love guessing correctly when there's a 40% failure rate.

And now to see to my liver.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 30, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

J Miracle posted:

(3) am president of an animal law group

Please tell me that 100% of your efforts are dedicated to the argument "Hey man birds are people too."

Or that the framers intended animals to have rights because bears have the right to arms.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Holland Oats posted:

The Brooklyn Ikea has an average 1 1/2 star review on Google so apparently it's an awful place.

1 1/2 stars is pretty high class for Brooklyn.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CaptainScraps posted:

This year I'm just going to pop the cases into Westlaw and steal the headnotes.

Every single 1L case is in Wikipedia, and most of the rest of the cases are as well. I didn't even buy the textbooks when I figured that out.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

jake1357 posted:

What about the rest of the materials in the casebook? The commentary and practice questions, etc

100% of case books are 100% useless. The sooner you realize this the better you will do on exams. Buy hornbooks and a spare Convisors and you will learn 100% more than you would ever learn from the lovely casebooks that the for-profit lawschool hawks to you every three months.

What in the hell do you think the commentary actually adds to the casebook that you can't find anywhere else? A hornbook is all commentary without the useless drivel. Hooray you just got top quartile.

jake1357 posted:

Also, what do you do when you get called on in class and need to direct the professor to where your answer came from? "198 U.S. 215 at 221" isn't very helpful when the rest of the class is using a casebook with the page numbers edited out with an abridged version of the case.

The law professors aren't there to teach you the law. They exist (for the most part) to teach you some antiquated poo poo that has 100% nothing to do with anything. If they call on you, say "pass" and move on with your life. If you are compelled to answer, then read a hornbook beforehand and answer based on what the law is. The facts of Spivey v Bataglia are totally irrelevant to anything other than the question of "what are the facts of Spivey v Bataglia." They will not come into play or be in any way relevant on your exam, the bar exam, or private practice.

Why do you feel you need to be relevant during in-class discussion? So you can earn a cookie while the professor fawns over you? Who gives a gently caress, you're not there for cookies, you're there to burn $150k on a useless education. You need to become educated, not suck their dick any more than you already are. I don't understand where people get the notion that law school teaches you the law. It doesn't, and the professors don't, and you won't learn it there. Quit pretending to try.

1L (and most of 2L/3L) year teaches you absolutely nothing unless you can remember stuff until you take the MBE. After that, the law school certainly doesn't care about your learning experience unless you're in a clinic and/or trial practice and/or ADR and/or rarely 1L legal writing (highfive samglover). There are many fun classes during 2L and 3L but all were equally irrelevant.

Grammar Fascist posted:

I disagree with this (that textbooks aren't necessary because you can get all the needed info from Wikipedia/Westlaw/outlines/hornbooks). I know several professors who get very angry when it is obvious to them on an exam that students were relying on outside materials that weren't covered in class. That makes sense because it's basically telling the professor that he/she didn't do a good enough job teaching and left out important parts or was so confusing that you had to resort to other materials to make sense of it. I used lots of old outlines and hornbooks while making my outlines, but I always made sure I knew that it was actually something we talked about that I could have plausibly learned from listening in class.

You 100% should not give a gently caress if the professor is miffed that the for-profit institution they work for doesn't want them teaching you the actual law. That's not your problem. You need to rise above this and learn the law, so when you step into the courtroom you aren't a complete moron, and when you take the bar you aren't confronted with something that is completely alien to you.

If I went to Med School and had some moron teaching me how to leech AIDS patients, I would ignore him and learn how to properly treat AIDS patients. Or if he were teaching me how to pray the cancer away, I would learn on my own how to administer chemo. Why? Because you want to be a competent doctor. Being a competent lawyer upon graduation is literally at the bottom of the law school's list of priorities. Unless you go to HYS maybe.

Also, 1Ls should absolutely make a blanket assumption that your 1L professors aren't teaching you enough. If you think anything else then you just haven't learned the truth yet.

Example: Everyone who has made it through 1L spent... ohhh... about 8 weeks on the Statute of Frauds in Ks, then after graduation spent about 1.5 hours on it for BarBri/MicroMash/whatever, and learned literally everything possible to learn in those 1.5 hours.

Personal anecdote: For my Common Law K exam 1L, I spent exactly one really long sentence and a second short sentence talking about the law of the statute of frauds. "The Statute of Frauds demands a contract be written and signed by the party the K is being enforced against in six situations: 123456. The Statute of Frauds can be waived under point 3 when two of the following three things happens: X Y and Z." That's an A+ exam right there. 8 weeks at $125 an hour plus 1/5 of a $200 book boiled down to 2 sentences, neither of which I learned from my professor. Nothing I heard come crawling out of his money sucking hole ever became relevant thereafter, until the MBE where I paid a lot of people to reiterate the concepts the 1L professor utterly failed at teaching.

God why do people still go to law school. You 0Ls think I'm just ranting but you're so utterly naive.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 9, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Feces Starship posted:

I didn't disagree in almost anything else that you posted but this is just flat-out wrong unless you were like referring to what the platonic form of an exam answer would look like in a world free of the foibles and egos of professors. There were 80 people in my contracts class. I would say that once the exam rolled around 75 percent of them were able to rattle off that explanation you just gave while also cracking a 17th century hand-carved tumbler fire safe. Yet only 15% will get As, let alone the ever elusive A+ which is pretty much a myth of story and song at this point.

No, those grades are reserved for people that not only know the material cold but are also able and willing to form it in the style the individual professor will be amenable to on that particular day - and therein lies the rub, best I can tell. And that level of familiarity with the professor and the professor's preferred style can't tumble out of a hornbook, sadly.

I don't disagree that this is all a silly bullshit game, I just disagree regarding the level of preparation necessary to play it well.

Fair point, and you're right. But I found in my experience that as long as I could spout verbatim 2 sentences of rule on every point I would get at least an A-.

So I will rephrase. "That's an A- exam at least, if you recite it verbatim. YMMV."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Draile posted:

Why is the AMA good at protecting the interests of doctors but the ABA is actively out to ruin the legal profession

ABA is for-profit, AMA isn't. Also the actual cost of legal education is dirt cheap - you just need a few books in your library (all donated), a few professors, and some real estate. Law schools are a HUGE money maker for otherwise cash strapped universities. Med schools need to buy cadavers, MRI machines, scalpels/bandages, do clinics for poor people, etc etc etc.

Plus the AMA is in charge of a profession with actual skill, the ABA can suck dues out of anyone dumb enough to become a member.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 18, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Rural Alaska DA trip report Number 5:

After clerking for a rural Alaskan judge for exactly one week, I am officially an expert on A) the "I did I did I did the Iditarod Trail"* race, including the minutia of when the Iditarod Trail Committee can kick a musher out in the middle of the race because he's a goddamn loving [redacted]. and B) EVERY loving POST CONVICTION loving PETITION ever. Including someone whining about their loving over-the-counter [redacted] being confiscated after they personally rioted and caused serious insurrection.

Let me add, however, that clerking for an appellate judge is far more awesome than writing briefs in law school. A) These are real issues with real people and real money; B) I need to be at my desk for at least 7.5 hours a day, which somehow makes writing appellate memos at least marginally interesting; and C) my fellow clerks are awesome and we all understand the exact predicament (hating law school) we are all currently in.

Separate quote:

SWATJester posted:

And yet, the doctors still bitch about malpractice insurance costs.

Yes it's the doctors driving up insurance costs. It couldn't possibly be the insurance company, they're the epitome of good-hearted egalitarianism. The Doctors are the ones demanding $350k/yr down payments on med-mal insurance. You aniled it right on the head.

Edit: Not only did you nail it on the head, you analed it on the head (both gay). As a gay man, I am allowed to not only keep that typo, I am allowed to emphasize it.

*If you don't know where this quote is from then you are no true Alaskan (I'm looking at you Ainsley)

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 21, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

SWATJester posted:

Notice how I said "Doctors bitch about" not "Doctors drive up". Insurance companies are scum, but they are scum in collusion with doctors.

Doctors can go ahead and suck a big fat dick any time they complain about insurance rates while they go ahead and bill the insurance company for $2000 for a 5 minute treatment that they can do in their sleep.

Yeah I noticed I completely lacked reading comprehension about 5 minutes after I posted.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TheBestDeception posted:

Look at how wrong you are... the bar is terrible

To be fair, the bar itself is fine. It's the three months leading up to the bar that is unbearably soul crushing.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

SWATJester posted:

This.

It's the 3 months leading up to it, and the 4 months of not knowing your score after.

Not if you spend 4 months in an alcoholic stupor! :eng101:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ersatz posted:

BigHead is probably arriving at three months by including BarBri lectures and readings prior to crunch time. That part wasn't really soul crushing though, just mildly disturbing.

Well I don't know about you fellas, but I studied at least 8 hours a day every day for 3 months (minus weekends). My bar has a mandatory 40% failure rate, so the bare possibility of doing anything less is unheard of.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Tetrix posted:

you know when we actually talk about the law this thread kinda sucks

Rural Alaskan clerkship status update:

I am literally in charge of deciding who wins dibs on the Deepwater Horizon derivative lawsuit. Obviously Alaska has oodles of personal jurisdiction all over BP's a-hole, and many lawfirms are looking to flex their litigation penii. Given some random other poo poo that happened up here (I can't/won't go into specifics) there is a non-zero chance that the DWH litigation could end up in AK rather than LA, and it all hinges on me. Muahahahaha.

Separate note:

I am officially the nation's leading Homesteader Law expert. Oddly enough, there's a whole subset of this poo poo. International Law Pandas move over, you've got a Goldpanner lawyer to compete against. I am accepting all back-woods hicks and other prospectors as clients, starting Aug 2011.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 28, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Engibeard posted:

So an engineering undergrad thinking about going into patent/ intellectual property law is bad?

I know someone very well. Let's call him Ted. Ted went to an Ivy League school for undergrad, and graduated with some random Science degree. Ted graduated third in his class. Not third percentile, third. With this degree and this honor, Ted went to graduate school and got his PhD. Ted got his PhD in an very very relevant and very very useful field. Ted decided he hated his work, and chose to pursue patent law. So he enrolled in a very very good law school.

Ted couldn't afford law school, so he applied for several scholarships. Of these scholarships, all were extremely competitive. Why? Because so few people qualified, and law school is a loving ATM for universities, so they don't like giving out scholarships to idiots dumb enough to attend.

But Ted got a good scholarship and went to this highest of high law schools.

Now Ted is in law school, with his PhD, graduating third in his undergraduate class, and he's looking for a job. Turns out, because law school loving sucks, that there are exactly ONE job that Ted is qualified for. One patent law job with a private firm advertised at Ted's highest of the high law schools.

There were three people with PhDs in Ted's class, all three applied.

Now, tell me, if you think your "undergraduate engineering degree" can survive an application process against magna and suma cum laudes with PhDs, then by all means go for it.

If, on the other hand, your dumb rear end decides to attend Rutgers, then I am offering to sell you six gallons of whiskey, one gun, and one bullet. Better to get all the good times, and your eventual fate, over with before you incur the debt.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Anthropolis posted:

You had me at rural alaskan clerkship. I've got some phone interviews coming up so let me send you PM.

Go right ahead! Edit: Oh you already did!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I just found out an old High School friend of mine flies cargo 747s between Japan and Anchorage. He makes 1 one-way trip then takes four days off. It's a long-rear end trip, but still, work 2 of every 8 eights.

He gets paid "shitloads."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Paisano posted:

Cook/Dupage County, specifically. Really somewhere around the Chicago area.

Cook County prosecutor's office is literally a hellhole. I think the NY night shift may technically be a worse place to work as a prosecutor, but dear god you need to be masochistic to even attempt to be a Chicago DA. They spend like 8 seconds per case during arraignments according to some random book I read in law school. That's not an exaggeration. Imagine trying to explain to a drunk pro se why the First Amendment doesn't apply to urinating on people while riding the bus in under 8 seconds, then do it for 14 hours per day for free, repeat for a few years (while loans are due) and you've got yourself an outside shot at being hired making $40k/yr. None of that is an exaggeration.

Now Rural Alaskan prosecutor, that's a totally different story. poo poo is hella fun, yo. And they're still hiring in balmy Bethel!

Edit: The book was Courtroom 502 or 501 or something. Read it and decide if you still want to be a Cook County Prosecutor.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 9, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Friend of mine just randomly got a call from the Social Security Administrative Appeal, uh, "Court" and was offered a job clerking. She was very conflicted because she hates Admin Law, but I told her to be loving ecstatic because it's a federal job and she gets a security clearance. Does she have a chance at lateraling into anything, or should she continue ruing her terrible luck at getting the one job she will undoubtedly hate?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Grammar Fascist posted:

I think Lexis has a lot more online stuff you can do to get points, and MUCH better actual rewards (gift cards and such). At my school Lexis also has a lot more trainings and things, so I think it just depends on the reps.

The best tip I figured out is to set up an alert on both Westlaw and Lexis to Shepardize/KeyCite some case every day, and e-mail yourself the result... you'll then automatically get the daily points for doing a search (often double points for Shepardizing/KeyCiting). I have a filter set up so the e-mails automatically get deleted every morning and I never have to see them, but I still get the points.

Employing a system similar to this, I bought two pair of shoes and four video games during law school.

Literally the only positive from going to law school is the free Westlaw/Lexis points.

Rural Alaskan Clerking Update:

This bitch somehow managed to steal $800k in student loans. The kicker is that she's not a law student but some sort of stupid Oriental Studies PhD. She's also a Rhodes Scholar.

While reviewing the case (it was in front of some other judge, so I'm speaking as a dispassionate public observer), I was thinking "That's not THAT much in student loans, I bet her education cost that much if she got $800k in 10 years." I was wrong.

Yeah turns out it's literally criminal to take out $80k/yr in loans. How much did YOU take out for law school?

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 12, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

diospadre posted:

I used Lexis because their rep was far hotter than the Westlaw one.

Both of mine were truly and utterly soul-crushed bald fat men. Which, if you're into horribly soul-crushed bald fat men, then my school's world is your oyster. But alas the bald fat men have since moved on :( .

By soul-crushed, I mean far beyond anything you can imagine. Our Lexis guy dragged his children into our training sessions and would go apeshit if they misbehaved, and you could tell he was just so, utterly, completely, lonely. His eyes were just so desolate and unhappy.

Our westlaw guy was just normal fat and bald I guess, which is still fairly soul-crushing.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Incredulous Red posted:

Wild Turkey pairs with everything

I actually had Wild Turkey with fresh-caught wild turkey. Surprisingly, not that good.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jove posted:

Law School Trip Report:

WHY THE gently caress CAN'T I WRITE A LEGAL MEMO.

WHY.

WHY.

OH GOD IT HURTS.

Remember this: if you want to win the big-dollar lottery, you will literally only write memos 12hrs/day for 6-7 days/week for, oh, 7 years before you become a partner.

Then you can write for 18hrs/day! Hooray!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 20, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Vander posted:

Civ 5 is out tomorrow morning. What disease can I fake that will get me out of school for a month? So far, I've got mono, leprosy, bubonic plague and lupus. Any ideas?

"Smartening up." Symptoms include dropping out, reading something that's actually useful, and/or not going to class for a month.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Don't worry guys I got a letter from my utterly useless ex-Dean:

quote:

Dear Members of the Class of 2010,

[Bighead's personal info redacted]

In the meantime, I wanted to take a moment to update you on the [UMN] Law School's efforts to assist those of you who are still seeking permanent employment.

As all of you know, the market for entry-level positions remains very weak, not only here but across the country. The summer is a particularly slow period, even in ordinary years (in ordinary years we charge DOUBLE!), as many employers await bar exam results before addressing their hiring needs (which employers didn't hire during OCI again?). However, I am optimistic (thank god for your optimism) that hiring will pick up in the fall (it won't), assuming the economy does not slide back into recession (recession = $200k in debt with no job, I don't care what Wall Street says).

Last year, to assist members of the class of 2009, we created a post-JD fellowship program (THANK GOD just what I wanted). The Law School provided graduates without employment modest stipends (enough to pay our loans? I didn't think so) to work for judges, government agencies, and non-profit organizations. These fellowships provided recent graduates with work experience and networking opportunities (not jobs), not only in Minnesota, but around the country. For many (how many is "many"? 1? Almost all?) recipients, the program proved to be an important bridge to permanent employment (read = we assume you put it on your resume). We will run the same program again this year, starting in August and September (we were too lazy to start it earlier). If you are interested, please contact your career counselor for more information about the program.

We are taking a number of other steps. For example, [name redacted] in the Career Center reached outside our usual group of employers to over 80 small and medium sized firms and public service employers this past year ("reached out" =/ "got someone a loving job with," also why didn't you do this earlier you useless twats?), and we will expand that outreach effort significantly this year. We are adding another career counselor position (a job!) to the Career Center, to provide students and alumni with more individualized career counseling and assistance (thank god, I wanted more individualized unemployment assistance). We are seeking to establish (are too lazy to have already established)four VISTA attorney positions this fall - up from three last year (your big accomplishment is 1 part time lovely job?). The Career Center will continue its weekly job bulletin for recent graduates (which lists zero jobs), as well as individualized counseling services (read = unemployment collection services) and resume and cover letter review. If you are interviewing for a position (we doubt it), the Career Center would be happy to provide individual interview preparation. Further, the Law School will offer free CLE credits (!!!!!!!!) for recent graduates following the bar examination.

I spend much of my time talking to alumni(thank god you're "talking" and not acting), here and around the country. They know the extraordinary caliber of our graduates and want to help (but only zero of them are hiring). I will be working with our Board of Advisors this year to tap our alumni network more effectively (six times more effective than zero is still zero) in support of our recent graduates (gently caress next year's graduates). I have asked faculty to utilize their own networks to assist our graduates as well (I paid $200k to be a pity-TA).

For those of you still seeking employment, please be assured we will continue to work with you to help you reach your goals. (Help = "have optimism about," "will assist 1 of you," "modestly stipend you for poo poo work," "reaching out," "provide interview assistance," "keep you advised via bulletin of the zero jobs on a WEEKLY basis," "FREE CLES!!!!").

All best regards, (and thanks for the $200k each)

Dean Shitman.
Dean AND William S. Pattee Professor of Law

I'm so raging about this. And I'm one of the lucky ones who landed a clerkship. Jesus Christ, their one actual accomplishment is a singular VISTA job (whatever VISTA is), and a position as a career counselor (our dream job). And this letter is supposed to comfort us.

Edit: I think I can respond six times per sentence but will limit myself to these.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 21, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Lilosh posted:

I have a question for Mookie, or anyone who actually has a lawyer job (So probably only him)

My 1L research professor is making a big thing about THE BOOOOOOKS and how bosses will want us to use THE BOOOOOOOKS for research instead of wasting time and money by using electronic sources, specifically Westlaw/Lexis. (granted, He's mentioned how ungodly expensive westlaw can be)

Do big firms care? Or is it mostly solos and small firms that would rather you pore over the digests and indexes and USCA and poo poo?

Upon your answer depends how much I pay attention to his emphatic jumping up and down about THE BOOOOOOOKS

For rules of crim pro / civil pro / appellate pro / admin pro etc, the Official State Books are infinitely helpful because after each rule they have a synopsis of cases dealing with that rule. That being said, I come from a small jurisdiction where all that poo poo is in one (gigantic) tomb. If you have several (dozen) tombs, YYMV. These books are real-life books by the way, not those lovely books you get in 1L. They're, like, the actual books of civ pro and crim pro.

That being said, if you 'tarded 1L professor insists on 'spergin' (god I can add an apostrophe to both ends of that word) about textbooks, then he can go gently caress himself. No real life lawyer on the planet cares about the facts of Spivey v. Bataglia (my favorite Torts case) and they will never care.

For everything other than the local rules of the court, Westlaw or Lexis is your most direct route. But, remember that if you work in private practice, you will have to pay for Westlaw/Lexis (which means you charge your clients for Westlaw/Lexis) which can get loving expensive. If you get hired by a private firm and fall into your law school free-for-all research habits, you can easily wrack up $20k in bills for Exxon / Toys'r'us / Costco / whatever.

Book research only costs as much as the books cost.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 29, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Totally Negro posted:

Dear Law Student Goons,

I have a friend who is interested in attending University of La Verve for Law here in southern california.

Now, given what I've read in this thread, I've basically told him that if he's not going to a top 13 school he's just throwing money away on a law education. It also seems like the job market here in california is much worse than it is elsewhere, but that's mostly observation so I don't know if it's true or not.

I guess what I am asking here is what do you guys think of the school and his ability to get a job after graduating with a degree from this place.

Honestly, I am not trolling here, but genuinely asking this question and looking for your tell-it-like-it-is assessment of his situation.

If you need any more information, my friend isn't dead-set on law, but thinks that this is just a fast ticket to getting a job and making "Da Big Buck$"

You can't say "Honestly, I'm not trolling" and still troll. It's against civil decency. Therefore, I will pretend this is a real question.

The answer to your question is almost zero. If your friend somehow manages to be dumb enough to spend $200k (plus lost wages) on a law degree he doesn't really want, have him obtain the current contact information for ULV's recent alumni. Tell him to call, at random, a dozen alumni, and ask a) if they have a job, b) if they do have a job, whether it's a good job, and c) what percentage of their income is being spent on student loans.

Yes, one guy the class probably got some random job at some medium-sized immigration firm and won't die horribly alone in the gutter surrounded by empty Listerine bottles he sucked down in a desperate attempt to numb his pain, but since your friend is dumb enough to consider this law school he's probably too dumb to graduate with a job.

Also ask him if he thinks he can compete with the guys from Stanford and UC Berkeley. Hell, even Stanford and UC Berkeley kids are hard-pressed to find big money jobs.

Edit: Then, if he's still deadset on it, have him find some lengthy (50pg or more) legal briefing or complicated contracts and ask him if he wants to desperately fight for a job writing those documents for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 30 years. The real moment most of us realize they made a mistake is when we read our first 50 page Motion for Partial Summary Judgment re Cross Claim's Interest Rate Start Date.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 1, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Totally Negro posted:

BigHead and diospadre, thanks for the answers. Really appreciate them.

BigHead I am just going to straight forward your post to him if you don't mind.

Since I am here, do any socal goons have advice for finding a job in the area? Reason I ask is because my brother is interested in law school, but smarter than your average bear (Lol he went to berkeley) and given that he goes to a school like UCBerk or Stanford, how hard is it really to find a decent paying job? We're not talking big money job here, but just any job?

BigHead, also, do you think this climate will change anytime in the near future, or is the field of law semi-permanently hosed (i.e. at least for the next few decades).

It is permanently hosed for that bottom of the toilet school he's considering. I think job prospects will get markedly better for... oh... probably the 30 or 40 top universities, but he's literally considering the worst of the worst. He would literally be better off if he took out a loan for $200k and burned it, because then people at non-law jobs - which I guarantee he will try to get after graduation because no law firm will hire him - won't think he's "overqualified" when really he's just trying to stave off bankruptcy, starvation and suicide.

We're not kidding when we say this, we're not trolling, and we're not being overly dramatic. A lot of people way smarter than him are unemployed. Remember California is pumping out several times more law school graduates than there are openings in California each year. How many DAs and PDs do you think the state hires when it can't afford to pay the electricity bill in schools? Someone with more knowledge of the issue can tell you that job candidates for government jobs work for YEARS for free, hoping some day their turn in line will come, and they will be paid $35k/yr for poo poo work.

The one bright side though, if he goes to that school, he'll be too poor to become an alcoholic or coke head, like the rest of us have become.

As for your brother, if he goes to Stanford or UCBerk, there is still a non-zero chance he's going to end up poor and homeless (remember we're not kidding about that), but his chances of landing a job are pretty decent.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 1, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Fun fact: Alaska's version of Rudy Giuliani doesn't just pack heat, he packs a loving assault rifle. Dude has four guns (that I saw) in his office. Two huntin' rifles, one hand gun for protection, and one assault rifle "just 'cause."

Therefore, Alaska is superior Denny Crain.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

Our former AG had an entire armory in his personal office (his family runs the gun stores), and went around with two investigator/bodyguards at all times.

The AG that won the subsequent election entered the office at 12:01 AM and changed the locks, since there were rumors of an impending armed standoff. Many people at the office called in sick that day.

If 90% of America has never heard of your tiny quasi-American island, then your island don't count.

Seriously though you had a nice contribution to the psycho-MI-AAG thread.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Rural Alaskan clerkship update part deux.

Here's a protip for all you future lawyers out there: If your state abides by Daylight Savings Time, then your State Standard Time may be one hour different than your State Daylight Savings Time, especially if your State is located in two timezones. Why is this important? Because failure to recognize this could lead to a malpractice lawsuit if you don't realize that laws come into effect at 12:01am of Standard time instead of Savings time. Dude successfully got his felony conviction overturned too, which is impressive.

I think that case wins for the most inane lawsuit ever by the way.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 1, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Poop Faerie posted:

:words:

You've written two gigantic walls of text and haven't said a single thing that would convince any normal person that law school is a good idea.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Poop Faerie posted:

Never mind, forget it. Honestly, I was coming here for a "I plan on going (or at least applying), please give me some guidance on these things" and it's going in a direction I don't want to. I understand why, I know I'm getting defensive and rambling to try to make y'all understand, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the guidance.

You can't complain about not getting guidance when every post has given you the exact same guidance: don't go.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Go to culinary arts school, or join a karate club in your free time.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
He's a troll. Trolls don't deserve more than 2 or 3 sentences of response just to remind all the non-troll serious dumbs that the dumb decision of law school is dumb.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

You know how some OBGYNs become OBGYNs just so they can dissuade and/or kill women who want abortions? Some prosecutors become prosecutors just so they can put poor black/brown people in jail, and to hell with the law. It's so crazy these stories of the crazy rear end people who purport to be on the same intellectual level as us. These guys are the Tea Party of lawyers. Even penniless paupers who will die alone and young (from liver failure) (all of us) know these guys are insane :smith:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 6, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

Fair prosecutors get hung out to dry and don't last in a judicial system bent on splitting babies and a political system encouraging a blind jihad against crime regardless of circumstances.

To be fair, fair prosecutors aren't elected. And if they aren't elected, they don't give a gently caress what some hick from the sticks thinks. And by "hick from the sticks" I mean hick from the sticks and elected official.

Edit: in my limited experience.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
[redacted]

drat.