Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
It's a race to finish my paper before I leave the country! Quality work, you say? Not in this house! Nothing says competent than bluebooking with your heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
I start work tomorrow, random anonymous strangers on the internet! Wish me luck! BLOOD AND THUNDER

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
whelp it looks like working 13 hours a day isn't fun

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
As a summer associate, I spend the first half every day un-loving-up whatever I did the day before, and the second half of the day loving up something new

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Last semester at law school I had class 3 days a week and my earliest class was 1:40pm. Let me tell you, getting up at 7am to go to work 5 days a week takes some getting used to. I decided to take a nap when I got home at like 6pm on Friday and didn't leave bed for 14 hours

being a lawyer isn't that bad actually, but working a real job sucks

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
yeah being a real adult blows, I should have stayed nine. Legos were awesome

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hahaha goddamn I thought my life sucked because I'm stuck in buttfuck Missouri for depositions, and then I pour a gin & tonic and listen to this and all is right in the world.

Are you from a coast and mean all of Missouri when you say buttfuck Missouri or are you from St. Louis and mean all of Missouri except St. Louis

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Mookie posted:

Any and all states where you cannot purchase HARD LIQUOR at any supermarket or 7-11 at 2 a.m. on a Sunday are buttfuck nowhere.

This especially includes New York loving City.

You can get anything you want in east saint louis! At any time of day! Except sometimes you get things you don't want. Like car-jacked. Or stabbed. Or buttfucked.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Offer or no offer at the end of the summer program, I'll be black out drunk on Saturday

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
In a 10 week summer program I gained 20 pounds. If that pace keeps up indefinitely throughout my working career I'll break a ton at about age 40

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

HiddenReplaced posted:

The end is nigh.

I got an offer too for a St. Louis firm and my girlfriend wants to move there with me. New thread title time.

Also, congrats everybody!

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

BigHead posted:

"Smartening up." Symptoms include dropping out, reading something that's actually useful, and/or not going to class for a month.

I'm preloading it now so I can play it in class tomorrow.

One of my legitimate fears coming into law school was that Diablo 3 was going to come out my 1L year. Now it's 3L and it still isn't out! I have time now! Blizzard, have it out by Christmas, please, this is my last chance to spend six days in a row in my boxers playing video games!

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Two of the four sections you were graded on were LR? I thought my year we only had one graded LR section.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Wavelet posted:

I'm a 2L at UCLA and some people are making $1000000/yr and some people are getting eaten by bears

I'm a 3L at UCLA and I would estimate 2/3 of my class is/has been eaten by bears and the rest is in biglaw or where ever else they want to be

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Law school/life didn't make me do anything today so I spent 9 hours straight playing call of duty and drinking two bottles of whiskey (jim beam that we put graham crackers in as an experiment and jack daniels). It was the best time ever. Law school people: this is the best case scenario that you will look forward to. Playing video games in your underwear while too drunk to sit in a chair is going to be your high point. Also I broke stuff

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

BigHead posted:

How was it?

delicious

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
So I need to pass the Missouri bar this summer. If I fail I get eaten by bears. Do I need to take a bar review course?

Reasons not to take a bar review course:
- Missouri's bar is supposed to be one of the easier ones and the passage rate is high
- I hate sitting in class
- Not paying Barbri means more booze money for me
- I'm not a complete moron (didn't graduate from Bob's School of Fish Preparation, Shoe Repair, and Lawyering)
- I have enough self-control to study without a class forcing me to do so
- no bar class means I don't have to be anywhere specific to study and could study say on the beach in Mexico instead of Missouri
- I really really hate sitting in class

Reasons to take a bar review course:
- they teach some special voodoo bar handshake method that I need to know to pass the bar and will never learn from the books (like, "you need to use the exact language "Bob is guilty of X because Y" or you will fail")
- I will look like a total dumbass if I don't take a class and then fail

Thoughts? I really, really don't want to take the bar class, but need someone to justify my pre-conceived opinion. Please tell me I can buy the books off ebay for $200, study on my couch six hours a day for a month and a half, and pass.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

nm posted:

Do you have a job that you will not get or lose if you fail?
Then I would suggest paying.
If no, whatevs.

But what about the bears

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
So we still haven't got grades back for one of my classes yet. The professor was an adjunct and it was her first class. She was an awful lecturer. She put everything she was going to say in the class on powerpoints and just read them for an hour and a half. Awful to sit through and since she put the powerpoints online almost nobody came after the second week. It was a graveyard in there.

The rumor is that she got offended/we suck and she tried to give C's/D's/F's to like half the class and the reason for the delay is the administration is trying to convince her to, you know, not do that. I'm a little worried.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
So those late grades I was worried about? I don't know about everyone else, but I just got my worst grade in law school.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Trash Can Man posted:

So my friend:

Has pretty good numbers ~170 LSAT 3.8 gpa

and is going to a tier 3 law school with like a half scholarship (not exactly but some situation like that)

They've already sent in their deposit and all -- is it too late?

Lose that deposit, the $200 is nothing compared to the $10000000 in lost earnings and medical bills from being stabbed to death by the hobos that inhabit tier 3 law schools.

And you are allowed to have parents help you move in 1L year, that isn't weird.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Cortina posted:

Our law clerk, who is a rising 3L, came into my office sobbing yesterday to tell me that she failed a four credit class Fall semester, got put on academic probation and told to raise her GPA to above a 2.0, and then got three B's and a D this past semester, and is therefore being "academically excluded", ie, expelled.

I really, sincerely feel bad for her, because she's a good person and a good clerk and she tried really hard, but some people just aren't cut out to make it through law school. Particularly at a TTT like ours where the professors don't blink at culling the herd and failing people.

Kids, don't go to law school. Especially don't go to third and fourth tier law schools that have zero compunction at failing rising 3Ls in the hopes of weeding out people who might drag down the bar pass rate.

These places ruin lives. They should be shut down for fraud.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

xcdude24 posted:

This may be outside the scope of this thread, but I'll take a gander anyways. I'm currently applying for a legal assistant position at a local law firm. I'll obviously be helping with a myriad of tasks, but does anyone have any advice on things that I should specifically highlight in my cover letter/potential interview? I know a lot of the job is about being persistent with individuals and going through large amounts of information, but not a whole lot else.

Don't use the word myriad

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
If a firm asks me what department I want to work in, can I just say "litigation" or "corporate" or do I have to say something like "employment law" "security law" or "when bears attack people for failing the bar law?"

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

nm posted:

Litigation can be its own thing. Otherwise, I'd be more specialized.

Wait are you saying I can or cannot just say litigation?

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

sigmachiev posted:

Is this for an OCI interview? I think the answer changes somewhat depending on the context in which the firm is asking the question.

I graduated in May and am starting at a firm in September and they asked. I'm going with "litigation." Thanks guys for coping with my ridiculous work-related anxiety

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

srsly posted:

lmao if you already have the job, "litigation" is just fine. Preferred, even.

Well it's between that or bears law

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Most of the really interesting ABA rules are in regards to bear law. You could talk about how the lack of bears in New Zealand caused New Zealand law to develop differently from American law. You could also discuss potential new developments in New Zealand law if bears were introduced there.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Hypothetically if I have an associate position lined up after law school and fail the bar exam what happens?

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm seriously considering scrawling "I WILL SUCK YOUR DICK" on my resumes now.

Please send your resume to me at

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Alaemon posted:

Where do you folks come down on the closing/valediction section of letters? Am I stuck with "very truly yours" or do you think I can be a renegade and go with "sincerely"?

Oh God I'm not supposed to use sincerely?!?!?!?!

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

TheAttackSlug posted:

That's convenient, because I'm taking the MEE for Missouri tomorrow and all of this business crap just kinda runs together like the gray-brown petrified wad of Gak that was their inevitable end.

I'm taking the MO bar tomorrow too. Good luck goons!

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Just got done with the MO bar essay. I generally did fine. There was one question about appealing mid-trial an order regarding an allegedly unconscionable forum selection clause between a US and a British corporation in a Federal district court with diversity jurisdiction where I was just like... wtf do you even want me to talk about here? Is this contract law? Personal jurisdiction? Venue? Conflict of laws? When an order is final? Something procedural? I think I babbled something nonsensical about venue for about ten minutes then decided to use the rest of the time on the questions I knew some sort of answer to. The good thing is that if I don't know then nobody else does either!

Also I slept 2 hours last night because my hotel room was too hot and drank two pots of coffee today and now I can't speak to human beings.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

There are 1 day bar exams?

The Missouri bar is two day, all essays the first day, all multiple choice the second.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
That MBE was gibberish. Every question I read I was like "I know the answer! Bob had no duty to protect and wins!" then I read the answers and they are all like "Bob wins because of he has potatoes" "Bob wins because he is tall" and I'm like wtf.

There was one question where an ambiguous "he" in the question made it impossible to tell if a witness was testifying that the witness or an employer had sex with an employee. I don't think the hard part is supposed to be figuring out what the question is trying to say.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Law review is incredibly important for any type of job.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Cyrezar posted:

I have a job and no debt

Don't go to law school.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Do not waste your time and money going to night law school.

also :warhammer:

how do I make a warhammer guy

Nero fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 2, 2011

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Cyrezar posted:

For the time being, I'd rather be on the good guys side.

Wait I thought you worked for the IRS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Cyrezar posted:

We are the good guys. Just like cops and hall monitors!

Some people just don't understand that we're from the government, and we're here to help.

Actually, quit your job and go to law school. Your inability to tell good from evil is a huge asset.

Well not really we are all evil