Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Never go

Nero fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Lilosh posted:

Any UCLA Law students here? We're borrowing one of your professors, and I'm curious if any of her old exams might be in your password-protected archive.

Which professor?

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Lilosh posted:

Stout. Do you have access to the exam archive?

Unfortunately they apparently do not allow graduated UCLA students access.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

crankdatbatman posted:

I want to waste three years of my life

Well, none of those schools are going to get you a law-related job unless you are one of the top 10 people in the class. Do not count on being one of these people because other people have full tuition scholarships and are equally, if not more qualified than you, a lot of it is luck, and there will be people there willing to work harder/be smarter than you. I would not consider there to be a difference in prestige in any of those schools either because they are all garbage. If you absolutely insist on doing this, go to one of the schools that gave you full tuition because then at least you will be unemployed with a relatively small amount of debt.

Also what do you think doing "considerably well" on the LSAT means?

Nero fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 5, 2012

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

entris posted:

I have a drink or two, so that my thirty minutes of free time every night is actually relaxing.

I totally understand the "work hard play hard" mentality now. When I had tons of free time in school, relaxing was just sitting around playing video games or something. Now, I'll be damned if my two hours of free time in a given week aren't filled with alcohol, drugs, speedboats, hookers, explosions, Rocky IV, shotguns, car chases, base jumping, and sharks. All at the same time.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
So jealous of people taking the bar in the summer. My advice- buy last years barbri books, do not open them til june, read four hours a day in june, six a day in july, do nothing but study last two weeks. Success!

Ideally you want to get to the point where i can say "secured transactions" and you can cover a page of notebook paper in arcane bullshit

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Strangers on the internet I passed the Illinois bar! And to think six months ago I was worried about getting eaten by bears in Missouri.

Now all I want to do is take bar exams, because everybody talks about how time-consuming and hard they are and I get to be like "yeah man gotta study" and then get to go home and drink all day and call of duty run on sentences.

Midwest midlaw for life

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Wife and son out of town for the week means i get to stay at the office til 9pm every day this week! Yaaay! Future lawyers, i am actually excited about this, this is what you become.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

Con law is always the worst 1L fall class because it inevitably becomes a policy debate class where the Constitution just happens to mandate people's policy preferences and proscribe what they don't like.

My con law class was indistinguishable from a critical race studies class. It did make it easier in that i didnt have to learn anything about the constitution at any point.

Our teacher even told the one conservative in the class who cared enough to talk to stop raising his hand.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Stop posted:

I wish I went to UCLA

Last I heard the teacher went to Stanford or Boalt.

Highlight of the class was super sheltered A+ overachiever girl not understanding what "fisting" or something was during discussion re gay sex and googling it from front row of class. Guess somebody didnt keep safe search on.

Nero fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 21, 2012

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Linguica posted:

Yeah but why should anyone care what SCOTUS says? You need a citation to the Constitution, vesting the judicial power of the United States in a supreme court. And probably a citation to the Judiciary Act of 1789 to show that SCOTUS is in fact the real one, not some sort of anti-pope pretender court. And then cite the Constitution again for the proposition that Congress had the vested authority to pass the Judiciary Act.

Of course you should have a citation for the proposition that the Constitution is valid and enforceable, and uhhh fffffuck I think I just disproved every law review article ever??!?

What if the bluebook like, cited itself!?!

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Martin Random posted:

Dang I wonder if I can live on that in LA.

Arbitrary parking tickets are going to eat half that, you are a dead man.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Whenever someone tells me they billed 2500 hours last year or were in the office 5am to midnight yesterday or something, I feel like they are looking for "wow good job thats impressive!" but all i can think is "oh my God you poor man"

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

Well the motion for sanctions was warranted in this case because: a) I called them the day before to ask why they hadn't filed their business record affidavits yet (it was passed the time to do so) b) they told me they would file a motion for continuance c) I informed them that I would opposed said motion d) I find out they had filed the motion via a notice from the court stating that the motion for continuance was granted.

OC later stated that my e-mail wasn't "working" (it was, she had sent it to an e-mail address I don't own). Even if she got a bounce back on the e-mail, my phone were fine and she could have contacted me. Also her motion for continence contained a bunch of bullshit not applicable to the case. She then signed an affy stating that it was true.

I represent normal folks and the dismissal of the case means my client can buy his son a football helmet so he can play on his HS team. OC works in a mill practice that can't be bothered to show up at trial with evidence, check the SoL, or serve me with a motion for continuance.

Like most motions for sanctions, it comes down to "i think the other guy is a jerk"

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
I spent more time in the office today than I spent in school in a week 2L/3L year.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
SlyFrog's posts are truly horrifying. Its like reading a good Lovecraft story where it just keeps getting deeper and deeper and worse and worse and you dont think you can be any more horrified and then...

More, SlyFrog! I want you to get drunk and go stream of conciousness on us.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

HiddenReplaced posted:

What? People calling ibankers the devil I get, but now you're demonizing small business owners? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I've never particularly enjoyed responding to demand letters from people repping plaintiffs with service animals, but I might take a little more pleasure in it next time after reading your post.

He makes money by threatening small business owners that he will bankrupt them if they don't comply with one of the more byzantine federal laws, so I imagine if he doesn't demonize them it makes him feel bad (for being a bad person) (for $).

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
I thought the ADA had a million regulations about the height of doorknobs and stuff. I admit it, the only things I know about the ADA are from a CLE I spent daydreaming about not being a lawyer, and am duly chastised.

But seriously gently caress the byzantines

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
On the journal/moot court thing:

Law review looks way better than moot court or any other journal on your résumé, but it is a HUGE amount of work and very time consuming. Moot court doesn't look as good, but you are 100% done with it after like 2 weeks of work and it doesn't keep coming back and asking you to cite check things all year. I would recommend moot court over a secondary journal personally, because unless you have a major role on the secondary journal (which means lots of work) then doing moot court takes waaaaay less of your time and looks about the same.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

For a 1L, is it worth doing anything about WestLaw or LexisNexis points? If I use one service over the other, with minimal additional effort, will I eventually earn anything worthwhile?

It is not worth the time or effort. Just use whatever and get your useless kitchen instrument after three years like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
I graduated from UCLA law in 2011. It went well for some people, badly for others. Get PMs and we can talk.