Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I got my CLS housing today! $830 a month, one roommate, and I'll be living on 113th St. Am I right in thinking that I got pretty lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

billion dollar bitch posted:

Well, I've decided not to do anything. But Feces, how are you saying "people will cheat will get theirs?" How will people get theirs if nothing happens?

For the record, I know a girl who actually cheated on the LSAT and got into American University LS from that. Of course you can say, "lol she is in law school she got hers amirite?" but then there's necessarily some kid out there who's going to a not-as-good law school, who might have done much better otherwise.

I guess the difference is nobody will know if she cheated on the LSAT and hopefully the prof can just look at the margins...

PS Good luck to you too.

How did the girl cheat on the LSAT?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been getting all sorts of scam e-mails (sometimes even phone calls) ever since I signed up for careerbuilder. I wish they made some kind of effort to keep them out, scammers who target the unemployed are the worst. At least the elderly sometimes have money, I'm just a bum

If the police set up an account on careerbuilder and used it to bust scammers, would that be considered entrapment?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Warp, force her to sit down and read the last few pages of this thread. Then have her read the first page. People who think that they need to go to law school RIGHT NOW mystify me. There are so many things to do in the world and going to law school closes off the vast, vast majority of them. I applied a year after I graduated from college, deferred twice, and I still kind of wish I had more time to do other stuff.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

newberstein posted:

I thought of that but the problem there is that it makes it sound like I slacked off. I went to all my classes and studied a poo poo load, I just didn't waste my time doing homework. I somehow want to get that across.

Saying that you didn't do your homework is literally an idiom for slacking off. There's no getting around it.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

If you go to Lewis and Clark, the only thing you'll be exploring is an unemployment line.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I had a great childhood and parents who love me and I'd never allow them to have anywhere close to the kind of control and influence over my life that Amish does. Am I a bad son?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

CIGNX posted:

No, you're just not Asian.

I actually am Asian. 3rd/4th generation though so I'm pretty Americanized.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

nm posted:

Univ of West Los Angeles; Los Angeles CA
A quality institution, only second to Yale.

Why wouldn't they be ambitious and call themselves the University of Los Angeles? They could scam their way toward sounding respectable.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

If I had faith in the criminal justice system, or did not mind being poor (either one of these, really), I would stay in the Bronx DA for a very, very long time.

What's the pay like?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Entris, what's your opinion on film studios removing movie trailer uploads from Youtube?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

If the labyrinth is full of minotaurs, what's waiting for you at the center?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Gadamer posted:

...Half of the grades at Harvard are As and 91% of 2003 graduating seniors graduated with honors. Grade inflation? No way.

I don't really get the whole grade inflation complaint when it comes to schools like Harvard. Is it so difficult to believe that half of the kids who were able to get into Harvard are turning in A-quality work?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

What's the best place to buy furniture in NYC? I'm doing my CLS move-in tomorrow and I need to pick up pretty much everything for my unfurnished apartment. I don't really have a ton of money.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

evilweasel posted:

The answer is always, always, Ikea.

The Brooklyn Ikea has an average 1 1/2 star review on Google so apparently it's an awful place.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Alaemon posted:

Yes. It was an honor code violation. Also, our grades never had our names attached to them. We were given a randomly assigned exam number for each term, so our grades were anonymous.

Were your exam numbers tattooed on your forearms?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I think some firms are known to do this at Columbia if you put your GPA on your resume.

That's only if your GPA is lower than what they want, right?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

So I'm one week into law school and I don't hate my life. Things have exceeded my expectations quite nicely.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Well, Holland, it could be that you're doing practice law school and your grade or lack thereof in that class means absolutely jack poo poo so it's not so much law school as it is an organized classroom-centric meet and greet for four hundred kids who are still somewhat interesting.

Yeah, life is pretty sweet right now :smug:

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I have Sovern :( He's actually pretty good, though. Strauss is the one I've heard the worst things about.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Did any of the UVA people have Jody Krauss for Contracts? He's a visiting Prof at CLS now and I'm hoping to get some intel on him.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Unamuno posted:

I'm a little late to respond, but I had the legend himself, Jody Kraus, for Contracts 1L year. Awesome, engaging lecturer. I got extremely lucky with my coldcall, as it was about theory/policy/hypothetical questions with fairly straightforward answers instead of the minute details of whatever case we were on. He does a great job guiding people to the "right" answers during coldcalls, and has absolutely no patience for gunners wasting time in his class.

For the essay portion of the exam, he really stressed efficiency and correctness over spewing knowledge. He said he wanted us to use the "James Bond" approach instead of the "Commando" approach. Oh, his was also still the only law exam I've taken with a multiple choice section. It was probably the most difficult multiple choice test I have ever taken in my life, because it seemed like each answer could have been correct; it was only by varying shades of technical correctness (the best kind of correctness) that the choices differed. When some classmates and I got together to go over the practice exam, we literally got into shouting matches over our multiple choice answers. The waitress at Chili's probably thought we were psychos.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I haven't gotten coldcalled yet but a friend of mine had a pretty rough time today when he got called on. Do you still have your notes from 1L?

Also, I don't think that the Columbia gym is that bad but it makes me mad that the crew team gets so much space to itself.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Low Ping Gentleman posted:

I've scored 174 on 10 of the 12 practice tests I've done so far (170/175 for the other two), but for whatever reason I'm convinced that I'll barely score over 160 when it comes to the actual test. I figure practice tests don't mean too much, since you're not facing the pressure of writing an actual test.

I took the LSAT three times and for my third and best try, what made the difference was approaching it like a practice test. The previous two, I was thinking that I had to get every question right and overthought my answers. When I relaxed the last time, I got exactly where I was practicing.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Walamor posted:

So I'm stressing out over the LSAT being tomorrow and have done so many logic games I think I'm actually starting to get worse. How did you guys deal with the night before the LSAT to calm down?

Chill out and remember that you can take it again consequences-free.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Aristokles posted:

If you're talking about the USAO, isn't that kind of similar to career suicide, given that they apparently don't hire through the internship?

Is this really true? If someone is dead set on working for the Feds in some way, would it better to work for one of the other agencies rather than doing SLIP?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

dividebyzero posted:

ahahahaha, I'd completely forgotten about the 1L LSAT dick measuring!

Wow, that really happens? I literally haven't had a single LSAT conversation since I started.

Also, are there any more CLS stories that BDB and evilweasel can share?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

CLS people, do you have any recommendations on which 1L elective I should take? Here are the options:

Law and Economics (Prof. Victor Goldberg)
Legislation (Prof. Richard Briffault)
Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)
Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)
Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)
The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

I'm leaning toward Critical Legal Thought, Legislation, and the International class but I'm generally pretty open-minded.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I thank my lucky stars every day for only needing to take out Stafford loans.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

The Korilla truck is pretty good.

It really is, I hope it sticks around.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

echopapa posted:

Oh, no. If you're going to cut a promo, make it Ultimate Warrior-style.

I reccomend this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wr1syXM5jk&t=75s

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I don't care about ragle and I would like a link to the DropBox too.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Omerta posted:

What's your email? I made PDF charts for every torts action. I can send them to you.

Can you send them to me too? My address is satojs at gmail.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Feces Starship posted:

lawnet consulted. holland oats identified.

commence reputation sabotage procedure

Oh goddammit, I should have thought of that. Now all of CLS will know about my love of MMA and Pokemon.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I'm posting from Butler right now. The work ethic at Columbia is insane and it's somehow sucked me in. I never used to be this way.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Just got an A- in a class I virtually never showed up to, and used an 8-page outline that simply had the case names, the page, and a single sentence on what they were about.

This owns.

When do grades generally come out for 1Ls?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I've been procrastinating with applying for 1L summer jobs because I figure that grades will be posted any day now. Should I just go on ahead with applications or is it ok to wait for my grades to come out? Would employers even bother looking at me before I send in my transcript? The ones I want to apply for have deadlines that end in February.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Feces Starship posted:

Eek. You should have done this already. Do it now and tell them that grades are pending and will be forwarded once you have them.

Since it sounds like you want some non-private sector interest you might still have a good shot. Don't worry but get to it.

Gotcha. What threw me off is places like the SDNY USAO site that requires a transcript with your application but doesn't say what to do if you don't have your grades yet. Even for places like that, should I just send in my application anyway?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

How did your friend like it?? I think that SDNY criminal prosecution is my overall top choice.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Oh well. At least I got an app in to the Manhattan DA's office early. Guess I'll start sending out a lot more apps out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I did that. It was the biggest mistake I made in law school.

Linguica should put something about that in the OP so our misfortune will not go in vain.

Just how late am I if I send out stuff today? And in general, how many apps do people send out for 1L summer? I'm only sticking to jobs I'd actually want to do right now but if I really am screwed, I guess I need to widen the net.

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 13, 2011