Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ersatz posted:

Sour cream is an abomination. Tacochat continues.

They're not serving burritos if it is sour cream that comes with it... it must be crema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Omerta posted:

Why is the 11th circuit always lowest on the Article III totem pole? Does nobody like Alabama/Georgia/Florida?

It's been down hill since Sherman. Yes, no one likes or should like any of those three states.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Aschlafly posted:

A day after the deadline, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Like I said, I'm having math withdrawal. I was actually accepted to awesome grad school programs for theoretical bio (Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, UCLA) and agreed to go to Berkeley before freaking the gently caress out, going into panic mode, and not communicating with anyone. Maybe law school failure is a sign that I ought to rebuild those burned bridges and give grad school another shot.

Do that and become a quant. You'll make more money, work less, and crash the stock market every so often.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
I had an SJD grad as a professor last semester. I think it's possible.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

stingray1381 posted:

Very interesting. I lived my life mostly in the Midwest and those PD and ADA jobs start at $40-50K. I'm shocked there are state jobs that pay that much for someone just out of law school.

CA is also going broke, if it isn't already. I wouldn't be surprised if these positions get some sort of salary cut, eventually. Then again, since it's California... maybe not.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
Anyone know someone looking to sublet in NYC from June 1 to early August?

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Gregor Samsa posted:

Yes, but I think its a studio in Harlem.

Yeah, this white boy would get killed, most likely.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

omgwtfnoway posted:

I always envisioned finishing my last 1L final as the happiest day of the year. I was wrong. I feel so empty now.

I'm more than halfway through, and though I feel that I've done well so far, my stomach is still in knots. Exactly halfway if I count the write on...

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

billion dollar bitch posted:

yeah, since apparently people don't interpret it in the limited way the case was actually decided.

But anyways, DONE WITH 1L YEAR so i'm gonna play mah computer for about ten hours.

I can't wait to do this... StarCraft 2 can't come out soon enough.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

GregNorc posted:

If you have any sort of technical degree, even stuff not related to IT (ex: any sort of of engineering, physics, math) Deloitte's consulting wing will pay you ~60+k/year to be a "Business Technology Analyst".

Of course, you'll be 100% travel (think George Clooney's character in 'Up In The Air') and 50-60 hour/week grinds, but if you're willing to have no life in order to save up money (or pay off undergrad debt) it's not too terrible... you can also leverage the name brand to get a decent salary job somewhere.

If you have a technical degree on the coasts you can up that by 10-20k with a year or three of experience (including bonus)

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

TyChan posted:

I prefer Taco Bell to Chipotle. Choptle makes me feel ripped off and the spices aren't very good whereas Taco Bell's offerings are at least at a decent price point.

By the way, if any of you Goons are in Charlottesville and want Mexican food, go to El Puerto. Any other place is overrated and overpriced.

Neither Chipotle nor Taco Bell are "Mexican" food. Further, I neither are good "Tex-Mex". I might even venture to say that neither are "food".

Just saying.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

nm posted:

Please don't put tex-mex and mexican food in the same sentence. Tacos do not have cheese dammit.

Moving further south: Papusas are also amazing

Moving further south: arepa de perico are delicious

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Moving further south: penguins are pretty greasy.

Who would eat Penguins? Boobies are the better for eating. Just saying.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

J Miracle posted:

This has never come up for me but I always thought it sounded more believable if you were just all pissy about it and said something like "gently caress no you're not tearing up my car and getting my poo poo everywhere."

Or just say you're in a rush to get somewhere, something like, "Sorry officer, but I really have to get to X. Unless there's something you're worried about, can I please go?" Though I don't think this works for minorities.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

done with 1L. everyone is going out to drink. i just want to sit here and do absolutely nothing.

Not everyone. The Joshua Tree is a crap hole. There are better places to drink (e.g. in a gutter).

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

jonmitz posted:

Did anyone here have a graduate degree in engineering (in my case, MS EE, 3.7+) and then go to law school? From what I understand, they are rare, and highly sought after.

I read the whole OP and nothing was mentioned about post-graduate degrees going to law school.

I'm trying to decide if I'd be happier working 9-5 in a cubicle designing a circuit or working 14 hour days...

We have 1 or 2 in my class. I don't think they're highly sought after by the schools, your masters GPA doesn't matter. Employers, however, are more likely to look at you, at least your first summer, especially if you have taken the patent bar.

The reason your masters GPA doesn't matter is because they don't use it for USNews. It's a soft that will boost you, but your undergrad GPA/LSAT/URM status matters much, much more.

Also, unless you really--REALLY--want to be a lawyer, be an engineer and make some money. Odds are against you making more money as a lawyer than an engineer unless you get into a top school and get a job in biglaw.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

diospadre posted:

Wow what a hard hitting look at the state of the legal profession, 5 T1 students who all have jobs.

I don't know if "running" for a state legislature or "leaning" toward hanging up a shingle count as jobs.

e: It would have been helpful to know what their relative ranks were. If they were near the bottom of their class, I doubt that even in the boom years, it was likely they would land biglaw jobs.

7StoryFall fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 23, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

TyChan posted:

From what I understood, and I might not be completely accurate about this, every school has their own "index" value that they will give to your GPA depending on which school you go to. I don't believe they ever discount you, but admissions offices will give you some degree of indulgence/credit if you get a 3.8 at Swarthmore majoring in a tough subject area instead of a 4.0 at some low-ranked undegraduate institution majoring in television. Otherwise, people would be advising you to go for "gut" majors and easy subjects to assure your passage into a good law school.

At the same time, Dr. Mantis Toboggan is ultimately correct in that the name of your school won't have nearly the same kind of pull that it would in the real world in other sectors of the economy. Just because everyone tells you the world bows to the feet of someone who graduated from an Ivy League undergraduate institution doesn't mean that's actually the case.

The index is based on people who take the LSAT and submit their grades to LSAC, so it actually does benefit those who take easier majors to a small degree, assuming not everyone who is angling to waste their life as a lawyer is taking easy majors, etc. Further, Ivy schools (and other highly rated schools) tend to have more serious grade inflation to my anecdotal understanding, which would suggest this index is more closely skewed toward the 4.0 in say, Harvard, then Buttfuck State, where you probably have a significantly larger range of idiots, GPA-wise, taking the LSAT--meaning your 4.0 at Buttfuck will likely look better against your peers than the 3.8 at Swarthmore versus your peers. Not like the comparison with your peers, however, makes a huge difference. They care about that digit and decimal.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
http://www.wbur.org/2010/05/25/student-loans-ii

quote:

Caughlin has $20,000 in debt, which she calls manageable. It means she can go to law school in the fall and not feel overburdened by debt.

Part of a decent ongoing series detailing the "education bubble," but these two sentences made me laugh.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

The Warp posted:

:words:

I've heard of a school being put on probationary status in the past for schools having very low bar passage rates; i.e. not preparing their students adequately for the you-want-to-be-a-lawyer? pop quiz.

If she's worried about the internet telling you/her these things about law school, why doesn't she go ask a few lawyers at a firm? Just send out a few short emails to fellow Berkley Alum who happen to be lawyers in California and ask them.

7StoryFall fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 27, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

quotison posted:

I decided to spend the $100 to use Examsoft for the upcoming NY bar. It looks to be a word processor that locks down your computer, that's pretty much it. The program only runs on Windows so you'll need to install Windows using Boot Camp if you're on a mac.

I've heard the same thing as Cormack - there aren't big difference pass rates between handwriting and laptop users. But I haven't handwritten a single exam in law school, I figure there's no reason to change that now.

We used Examsoft for exams at my school; it's convenient, let's you cut & paste, saves your work, and has a spellcheck feature (though examiners might be able to disable it). It's nice. I don't know if it is worth $100, but it's nice.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

TyChan posted:

I'm glad someone in his position is stating this and laying out that there are jobs you can do, but you might have to go on your own in a solo practice to pull them off. That in itself will probably drive a lot of people away from law school since it tends to attract some of the most passive-aggressive, risk-averse people on the planet.

Only if they inform themselves before they commit themselves to the course. Once they start down the path, it's quite difficult to convince them to bail.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm meeting the Communist Party of China tomorrow. Would it be bad form to beg for a job? I'm willing to run a WoW/Eve gold-farming operation if they'll let me.

I hear Foxconn is hiring in China (there's been a few openings). Maybe you should inquire with the CCP about that?

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

William Munny posted:

Why is Cravath interviewing at UT? It this some sort of sick joke? Is it only for the top .000001%?

Maybe it was an excuse to spend the day in Texas and get some good tacos. Mm, tacos...

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Incredulous Red posted:

I think it also involved tornados. Maybe I've found a way to sue God?!?

Maybe! ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3212596/You-cannot-sue-God...-he-has-no-known-address.html )

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

I got put on a defendant's "hit list" in a custody case recently, along with the judge hearing the case. I'm closer to dying alone than any of the rest of you now :smug:

Actually, if he kills you, it's very likely you won't die alone.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

plester1 posted:

Don't forget the rapidly imploding biotech sector!

On that note, a few weeks ago I was at a Starbucks in NYC. Two biotech patent lawyers were sitting across from some guys from Merrill Lynch, and were trying to convince the guys that securitizing biotech patents (or, alternatively, a type of insurance on them) would be a good idea.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
The purpose of an undershirt is to absorb sweat and lengthen life of your dress shirt. Also, be careful with starch. Most nice dress shirts shouldn't be starched, it kills the fibers.

And yeah, if your fat, it helps cover/keep in the chub.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
I'm hoping to win the lotto (on my grades).

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Hired Gun posted:

Also I'm reconsidering law school simply based on the people I met there. The biggest group of annoying, loudmouth douchebags I've ever seen. The fact that I fit in seamlessly with them is making me contemplate suicide.

Suicide is likely a better option than law school. Just saying.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

methamphetamine posted:

These sorts of posts are really misleading and are doing a disservice to incoming 1Ls. I recognize the frustration that some people have by the fact that grading is not always perfect, that different classes carry different curves, and that going from a B+ to an A- or an A is an enormous amount of effort. Nonetheless, the general rule is that work, by that I mean LOTS of blood, sweat, and tears, will result in high grades. At most schools, everyone is pretty smart, so the only thing that really separates people out on the curve is the amount of effort people put in. I know a lot of the people at the top of the curve and they all work really hard. I also know people who are creepily smart who are below median because they don't work very hard. The point is, if you want good grades be prepared to work hard. Don't assume it's random or that you need some genetic lawyerly thinking trait to get good grades.

Of course, but there is still a significant amount of randomness between steps on a curve (e.g. between an A- and an A), especially on easier exams. Grading, to a degree, is subjective and in many cases structured to a curve. Sure, significant amounts of work will likely shift you up the curve--assuming not everyone is putting in the same amount of work--but one mistake or missed issue on a 3-4 hour exam could be the difference in a single grade step.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
Hey Tetrix, get all of your grades yet? I'm still missing my elective :/

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

Yeah got the final one today. On Wednesday I got my writing grade. It was not what I was expecting. I emailed the professor, and 3-4 hours later the grade was suddenly taken off the web. :lol: Anyways it was replaced today with a much better grade, so I've got them all. Apparently the wrong grades were put up for everyone and they were all taken down. My elective grade came out like May 25.

And I got pretty good grades, and I'm happy with them. I worked my rear end off, studied a lot, and literally bounced around 3 different study groups talking over civ pro practice exams. As much as all of you say it is arbitrary, I honestly got what I feel like I deserved (but that's because I am pretty happy with my grades). I'll shut up now because I don't want to give any hope to 0Ls. Law school isn't a whole lot of fun, and neither is researching issues for 8 hours a day like I'm doing in my summer job.

I don't know. I didn't put more than 3 days of solid studying in on any of my classes and only finished the reading for Civ Pro (got an A there), and averaged A- grades (and I expect the same on my elective). I think they're arbitrary to a point. If you can spot all the issues and memorize all of the black letter, it's pretty easy to get something from a B+ to an A unless the test is so short, it's easy for everyone.

I feel like I barely worked to be honest. I definitely worked less than half as much as I did last semester and only studied with one other person for one class.

My summer jobs are awesome. I have been researching cool stuff (constitutional law for a state agency, yeeeeah) and getting to sit in and watch major administrative action.

7StoryFall fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 19, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wish there was a way to combine the lack of responsibility of being a nine-year old with the ability to buy booze of being a 21+ year old. I'd sail off on that boat

Get filthy rich.

Oh, you went to law school.

Sorry. Can't help.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

There's no question that the flood of law school grads is putting a massive downward pressure on wages for new attorneys. However, I'm wondering what the flood of law grads will do to the market for those of us who have actually been practicing for a few years. Since law grads have no practical skills and therefore worthless for anything beyond entry level positions, do they really have an effect on wages for 3+ year attorneys?

This would likely depend on the # of them that gain marketable skills to compete with you. If people remain unemployed and can't find legal jobs that train them correctly, I wager that it will have litter downward effect. If, on the other hand, many of them get trained well while volunteering or slaving away at low wages, then it would likely put downward pressure on mid-level salaries.

quote:

Also, I plan to go out on my own (hopefully) within 5 years and have been honing my skillsets and networking to achieve this goal. As a future employer, wouldn't the apocalypse currently underway in the legal market be a huge benefit to me? I'm thinking by 2015 I should be able to hire a small army of unemployed law grads for minimum wage. They'll be like paralegals who can also do court appearances!*

*Not a troll, I'm actually serious about this.

I hope you get good malpractice insurance.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

10-8 posted:

Serious questions to whatever 0Ls are in the thread...

1. If you were shopping to buy a $100,000 house, would you: (a) take at face value the statements of the sellers, or (b) hire an independent inspector and appraiser to provide an outside assessment?

If the answer to #1 is (b), then:

2. Why are you willing to take at face value the statements of a law school that is trying to sell you a $100,000+ product?

I'm downright amazed at the number of people who enroll in law school because the school said they have a 90% employment rate or a stunning fashion law program or some other shiny object without actually asking if the school's statements are actually, ya know, true. I mean, do you guys not get that law school is basically a product that is packaged, marketed, and sold to you, with all of the hazards that usually go along with such things?

I do not think this analogy is appropriate.

People are commonly told that higher education and law school are good investments. There is no social norm or reasonable (and common) behavior about investigating claims printed in USNews. While first statement is a direct comparison with the housing market, the second--and crucial to your analogy--is not.

I agree with your contention that 0Ls should do due diligence. But it doesn't matter. They consign themselves to dying alcohol sodden in a pauper's grave (if they're lucky).

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

evilweasel posted:

this thread makes me sad there's not a good way for me to profit off the human misery it taps into

Maybe there will be an industry for student loan modifications in the future...

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Mr. Fictitious posted:

Hey y'all what you been up to for the past 400 posts?

Grades-finally-came-in report: First term I briefed every case and attended every supplemental TA session and studied extensively before exams. Second term I didn't brief anything, skipped a bunch of the reading entirely, and outlined each class in the two days before the exam. Grades uniformly went up half a letter. Lawschool.

Went up a mark here to an A- average. Though for me, I outlined 2-4 days before the exam, mostly cutting and pasting outlines from previous years and integrating them with my notes. Good thing my second semester counted for about twice my first.

I still stand by the opinion that a large degree of these grades are arbitrary (a +/- mark).

7StoryFall fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 30, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

HiddenReplaced posted:

Over the last couple years I've befriended a Duke alum in the market I had been planning on going to (until I broke up with my gf). Monday the alum emails me asking me if I'm free for lunch on Wednesday, because they just had a partner meeting that day and decided they wanted to hire on some class of 2011 folks when they graduate. After lunch the alum directs me to the managing partner's office. Apparently they want to hire me when I graduate...

Hilarious.

Grats. Get it in paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

J Miracle posted:

Got an interview with a federal judge for a fall externship! Getting the position would have to help the clerkship chances at least a little, right?

Unless you screw up so terribly you get blacklisted. Maybe.