Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ersatz posted:

So one of my friends has a strong interest in tax law, lives in DC, and thinks she might enjoy working for the IRS. I remember some chatter earlier in the thread about open entry-level positions requiring an accounting background. She has her JD, a degree in economics, and some accounting coursework. If those positions are still open, do any of the IRS people in the thread know if that might get her in the door? Thanks in advance.

The IRS is interviewing at my school for both 2Ls and 3Ls. That suggests there are openings. Or will be, next summer, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

Are you going to apply to them? I think I'm going to apply to every federal employer in DC, NY, and on campus OCI.

Yes, but I expect that if I get it that there will be another opening in 3-5 years.

I hear you can have guns in DC now.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Oakdale posted:

So I've decided to get a joint degree in Agricultural and Resource Economics in addition to a JD with a heavy focus on environmental policy, hopefully I can get a job at the EPA in 4 years. I'm still pretty depressed about my future though, don't worry!

:rolleyes: Come on. If you're going to troll, at least put more effort into it. Come back when this thread is on #14.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

Thoughts on joining a secondary journal? Is it worth the work? I would like to clerk if possible, so that weighs in favor of it. Am I going to get pigeonholed by employers thinking that I am only interested in the topic of the journal?

Look at the number of jobs that "prefer" or "require" journal/moot court. While a secondary journal isn't going to look as good on your resume, it will beat out the other people who don't have it, assuming same grade range, for landing the interview. Also, if everything on your resume says "I am an International Law Panda" and you're going to be on the "International Law" journal, yeah, it will say that. If your experiences are varied, I bet an employer will look at it and say, "Not good enough to make Review, but better than others who didn't suffer a year as a staff writer."

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

major in human rights law and move to cambodia

Kill around 15,000 people. Get 35 years.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Based on the lack of reflection on the varnished surface of the "Izzy" placard I can tell this is an obvious photoshop job. Come on.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Unamuno posted:

Does murder-suicide count as dying alone?

It does if you make sure the other victims are dead, first.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

Our DC OCI isn't even until September 13.

That's because DC doesn't want us.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

gently caress that HERE I COME

Got get 'em, killer.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Ersatz posted:

A far better plan than going straight from undergrad to law school would be working at the patent office as an examiner. They've started hiring electrical and computer engineering majors again, and the rumor is that they'll start hiring more broadly in the near future. The job pays well, is relatively easy, and would increase your chances of landing a position at a firm if you do eventually decide to practice law.

This is anecdotal but I was told by an IP partner at a large firm (near the top of the Amlaw 100) that working as an examiner isn't the way to get into a large firm, if that's your goal. He told me that it "wouldn't be a good career move." That said, it was a single lawyer at a single firm. YMMV.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Leon Kowalski posted:

Ted might not be correct about a bachelors in engineering being out of luck for patent law. My understanding is that they can get away with avoiding grad school. Are things so bad that even engineers need grad school? I have no personal stake in the matter; I'm someone who took the "science PhD" route to patent law too.

At my school (around the middle of the top 50) with a bachelor's in engineering, in the upper portion of my class, I have gotten a large number of interviews--of which three are from IP boutiques. I'm not sure if they're largely courtesy interviews or what, but they are interviewing, at least here in the Northeast.

Yeah, don't go to law school UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A LAWYER AND YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT A LAWYERS DO.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
Finally, a call back... and I was talking with the admins about withdrawing.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

fougera posted:

Am I boned if I don't get the offer right after the callback? I had it on Monday and am wigging out.

I've heard of people getting an offer a few weeks afterward.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

nm posted:

A job that has been lost thanks to our nanny state.

It was also a job created by the nanny state. Nanny state give, nanny state take (alternatively, tax).

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003
New dream job: hot dog lawyer.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Green Crayons posted:

Are there any readily available resources of hypos with excellent answers I could mine?

Additionally, which one has better rewards: Lexis or Westlaw? I recall discussion from a while ago but being awesome and not in law school at the time I didn't really care what was going on outside of tacochats.

Lexis is better, but I find that West (at least at my school) gives much more options to get points.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Mookie posted:

Elmer T. Lee single barrel update: as a mixer, has more pepper than Gentleman Jack, less of the banana flavor of regular Jack Daniels. It's better neat.

Up for today: Laird's 12 year old apple brandy.

BECAUSE EVEN APPLEJACK CAN BE CLASSY

Calvados is the classy apple brandy. Couer de Lion is class.

Calvados makes me happy. I think I need to get a drinkable bottle now.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You need to get yourself some la Fin du Monde

On a related note beer reviews are almost as bad as lies told by law school admissions committees: "notes of grain/wheat, pineapple, peaches, clove/yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and biscuity malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness/light sparkling cider quality. The mouthfeel is coating, with moderate thickness and high carbonation."

It's just a loving beer jesus christ

I love me some beer chat. Try Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, a much better beer by the same company. That said, it's pretty good.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Trois Pistoles is amazing but it's impossible to find outside of some bars occasionally. Some friends and I are going to take a road trip to Quebec to fill up the trunk with Unibroue this winter.

:stare:

I know of several shops in Massachusetts and Vermont that sells bottles of the stuff. Call up a few liquor stores in your area that carry large selections of wine, I find those places tend to have the good beers, too. Might let you get your hands on it sooner.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

The Boston market is very insular and you will be an outsider during OCI, because you will not have actually started at BU/BC.

Boston's market is also poo poo. It's just poo poo.

This is completely true. I'm at BC (2L). While everyone I know has a job this summer, more than half are outside of Boston. Boston firms are hiring small classes. One transfer student I know (from a lower-ranked Boston school) bombed out of OCI, in spite of him being exceptionally personable and a Boston-native.

If you're going to be stupid and go to BU/BC, go to BU. They did better in our joint BU/BC NYC OCI last year based on the interview sheets they posted.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Dr Fluffles posted:

Is there anywhere online to find the US reports versions of supreme court opinions? I need to make pinpoint citations but all the versions I can find don't have page or paragraph numbers (I'm assuming the US report versions do?). I'm in the UK so I don't have access to US cases on westlaw/lexis and I find your crazy legal system eerie and confusing.

You might find what you're looking for here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/opinions.aspx

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

So after months of looking, I still don't have a place in DC for the summer. he;lp. I need something starting May 20. Anyone know anyone or something?

Have you tried the NALP apartment listings? It is one the useful thing career services suggested to me. I'll be in NYC, though.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Stop posted:

Did you guys find that people benefited from reading prep material or whatever in the summer before their 1L year?

I am inclined to just say "gently caress it" and just watch cheap minor league baseball and sitcom reruns all summer, but if the prep material works then I guess I would be stupid not to do it.

No. What is in this material might be different from what your professor teaches and what they expect you to put on the exam. But feel free to waste part of the last happy, regret-free summer of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

drat Phantom posted:

Wish I could say the same. gently caress law review write-on, right in the ear. Right. In. The. Ear.

At least you don't have grade dozens of lovely law review write-ons.