Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
just two floating exams left woo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

BigHead posted:

Edit: also, other graduating 3Ls, what percentage of your class is so disinterested in graduating law school that they refuse to walk? I wouldn't say 1/4 of my class isn't walking, but it's pretty darn close.
There's a law-school-only ceremony that I plan on attending and my parents are driving up for, but a cap and gown rental for JDs was like $500 or something ludicrous like that, and UT is a huge loving university, so I have zero interest in another huge-rear end graduation.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Maybe I misheard someone and they were talking about the deposit, who knows. Never been interested in the big graduation ceremony though.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Red Bean Juice posted:

drew something for this journal at the liberal arts grad school

love this picture so much

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Speaking as an extreme splitter who did everything the wrong way, here is how you avoid following in my steps if you get a 170+:

Step 1: Apply early, early, early (but don't do binding early decision)
Step 2: Get lots of money from schools ranked between 14-25 (and at least one acceptance from the t14)
Step 3: Go somewhere for free (or near as makes no difference) don't pay full or even half price for law school you idiot

ALTERNATIVELY

Step 3b: gently caress law school, teach the LSAT it's a fun job

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The one thing I could never figure out was how to close a sentence that ended both a quote and a parenthetical. (This is an example of a line like that, where you realize "hey, I don't know what the gently caress to do at the end here.").

Something about ."). didn't look right visually. Should I have ditched the outer period?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

debating whether to buy '08 barbri books off ebay for $250

the law can't have changed that much in two years, right?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Also, making yourself indispensable to one or two attorneys is generally worth more than talking a little bit to each one but not doing anything particularly noteworthy for any of them.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

They've posted preliminary firms interviewing for OCI. For 3Ls, there are 26. Firms that are not IP nor requiring top quarter?

One firm is requiring you have a clerkship lined up before you start work.
Also if it's anything like last year those IP firms are only willing to settle for a B.S. in EE/ME, for any other physical science they want a Master's. (No one wants life sciences for anything, no jobs lmao)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

pennoyer's enduring place in civ pro courses remains a total mystery to me

it'd be like an intro to biology class spending the first two weeks on lamarckism

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

HiddenReplaced posted:

Aren't you a black guy at T14?
He's at Texas. And I don't think race is as big a factor in hiring as it is with admissions.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

nm posted:

Yes it is.
If you're a URM at a T1 (hell, maybe T2 and into T3) who isn't failing and you just finished your 1L year, I can get you a paid 2L summer position at a good law firm that will turn into a job (around $100k) after your graduate if you don't gently caress up.
No, I am not kidding.
Seriously, PM me if you fit these characteristics and will move to California (or Nevada, but you don't want to move to Nevada)
goddamn, i guess i stand corrected

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

I don't see where people are getting that Remedial is scamming people in real life. There's links all over the NH bar website about this case. The New Hampshire bar apparently backs Dargon and other real estate attorneys from oversight from the Banking Department and apparently a Superior Court judge agrees. The NH Banking Commissioner is being removed by the governor and executive council for incompetence. The law looks really, really poorly worded and poorly thought out, too. Even the ABA thinks the law is dumb and overbroad.
InternetRulesLawyer what is your opinion on the private possession of nuclear weapons

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

amishsexpot posted:

Whoever posted that Fashion Law link for Fordham... that is actually pretty exciting for me as someone who loves fashion and is somewhat interested in intellectual property. v:shobon:v

gently caress everything.
In terms of art & entertainment law, lots of schools have programs for that sort of thing which they hawk furiously. I know schools in LA all trumpet their negotiation and representation classes for prospective students who want to be agents and the like, and other schools have "sports law" programs or whatever.

But the one common thread I've heard from anyone who's actually been in those field is that your success or failure is hugely dependent on your ability to make connections in that field. Anecdotally, one of the few people I haven't dissuaded from going to law school is a former LSAT student of mine from Dallas who became close friends with several student-athletes that are now NFL players and since he's a networking machine he's always meeting people and gladhanding. Conversely, I know a couple of people who went off thinking that they'd just exit law school and bomb agencies with resumes, and the rest would take care of itself. That hasn't worked out at all.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

TyChan posted:

Hmm. Why didn't he just become an agent straight-off then? Did he really want to just do the law part? Was he already in the agent world and took time off to become a lawyer and position himself better that way?

I would think any time he spends outside of school while other agents are snapping up his athlete friends just puts him at a disadvantage and 3 years is a long time to be out of a dynamic field of constant turnover and shifting alliances.
Maybe, I haven't talked to him in a while and I don't know anything about the nuts and bolts of how agencies work. But I can say he was a drat sight more credible as a future agent than a starry-eyed 1L who loves Entourage but doesn't actually know anyone in the field and thinks that going to UCLA and taking sports law classes is a sure-fire ticket to the high life.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

It might very well be the only such program, but you were speaking earlier of how hard the fashion industry was to get into; I imagine the actual number of jobs for lawyers working for designer companies or whatever is quite small, and those sorts of in-house jobs are also difficult to get for freshly minted associates.

Just be healthily skeptical of the glowing image that Fordham (and all schools) will project of their specialty programs. The job market is tough all around, Fordham isn't cheap, and there's a 50% chance you finish below average on the curve.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Lykourgos posted:

This thread attracts some of the best trolls in the business; hope everybody is taking notes

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Man, I'm staying at home for six weeks just because I'm in between leases and to busy bar studying to move, and I don't know why anyone older than 20 would do this voluntarily. Even if money is tight, a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate is infinitely preferable socially and psychologically. Hell, I'll be making midlaw money in Houston and I was even giving some thought to splitting an apartment with a friend for the first year just so I can sock some savings away.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

_areaman posted:

I will drive my corolla until it catches fire and melts into the pavement, no matter how rich I am. Why waste money on a car? Housing is where it's at
:hfive: still driving my 1992 honda civic i bought with money working at gamestop during freshman year of undergrad

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

My memory is fuzzy but it's the uploading and not the downloading that's actionable yes?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Serious response: Right, and everyone else at your same school will take this poo poo seriously. This is a lesson I learned the hard way.

Everyone at law school is as smart as you are and the only thing that distinguishes you from them is effort.
I don't think this is strictly true. I was able to skate by more or less exactly on the median for my first five semesters and unless it was an on-call class I hardly ever cracked open a book/outline more than 48 hours before a final. (Then I took a huge dive my final semester since I had a job offer and was too burned out to care even that much.) Given that that's the exact sort of performance you'd expect from someone with a 1th percentile GPA and 99th percentile LSAT I'd say most admissions departments do a pretty good job calibrating them as a rough equivalent to smarts/effort.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I've been having the opposite problem with bar prep, I think I have the essays down pat but my MBE practice scores have stubbornly resisted rising above borderline. I was told by a friend that the BarBri MBE practice books are tougher, but that might just have been an attempt at reassurance.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Linguica posted:

Today I tried the Barbri MBE Final Exam and got 62/100, then I tried the 18 sample questions in the back of the little NCBE pamphlet about the MBE and got 17/18
I'm a bit skeptical about those as well since I did much better on their sample MPRE questions than the real thing (I passed the MPRE by only a hair, although that was with about 12 hours of prep).

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I read a PMBR outline the night before and passed. Not by a lot, though.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Which would be nice if law schools didn't constantly refer to salaries as justification for their exorbitant tuition

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

bar isn't over for texans :( tuesday was just the preliminaries (MPT, P&E short answer), tomorrow is our ludicrously broad essay component

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Firms aren't exactly throwing around 1L summer positions anymore. I worked for a midlaw firm 1L summer but honestly if I could do it all over again I would've just studied abroad 1L year. It's fun and the disadvantages aren't really that pronounced in this economy (there aren't any jobs anyway so you might as well have an interesting story to tell all the recruiters only showing up to OCI for free kolaches and taquitos).

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

joat mon posted:

Amend the charge to First Degree Felony Murder.
ahahahahaha perfect

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

this was me during the AM essays:

this was me during the PM essays:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

TheBestDeception posted:

Family law is easy. I literally wrote "best interest of the child" about 30 times for the SAPCR question. Disliked the business associations questions though, so I would rate the morning about a neutral-face.

PS did you take it in Austin? Getting yelled at is p. cool, right?
I did passably on the corporation questions and the family law questions, but the UCC boned me because I totally blanked on checks and misremembered a key detail in the secured credit question that resulted in me getting most of it wrong. Closed-book exams were uniformly awful for me in law school, I really hope I didn't gently caress this up. And nah, I was in Houston

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Reporting ethical violations?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Someone please get grumblefish and izzy to start arguing with each other it will be a perpetual motion thread dynamo

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

ahahahaha post the source for that please webb

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

i'm the last person who should be making fun of a fat guy but honestly who told him that suit was a good idea, tan is not slimming!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

William Munny posted:

Awards out for UT as well. 49 bids, 3 interviews, 1 alternate. All three interviews are lottery selects.

I'm hosed.
If that Goon Connection™ didn't pan out, I'd say you couldn't be blamed for withdrawing, unless being an attorney is a lifelong dream that will haunt you forever. Even though it would be a shame for A&F to lose a man of your talents it's not really enough to stick around for.

:smith:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

Is it any surprise that in a society that defines people by their profession the unemployed would have an identity crisis? In America our unemployed = lazy bums mindset doesn't really fly well in the face of nearly 10% unemployment.
U6 is at about 17%, and when you consider the current demographics of boomers holding onto jobs until they die at their desks, it's probably 20-25% among the peers that constitute our social circles (assuming most folks in this thread are in their twenties or early thirties)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Lomborg's position has never been contra AGW, he just thinks that the potential effects have been exaggerated and the costs of prevention are so high that we're better off spending our money on things like drinking water, education, disease prevention, etc

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

entris posted:

Oh, I thought of something else for you gvibes: work in the "stairs" question in every interview somehow. This would have the dual benefit of 1) presenting a challenge to not come across as a weirdo and yet still ask the question and 2) identifying goon applicants.

I am serious, you should do this. I would do it if I were conducting OCI interviews.
If someone asks me the stairs question I generally put on a poker face, that masonic poo poo is lame as hell

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I'm pretty sure we already knew who the other was from facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Unless your professor is actually listed as an author on the book, the practice questions will not be nearly as useful as old exams and may actually hurt you by teaching you to focus on the wrong things. The commentary may occasionally be useful when it introduces a difficult subject (like the rule against perpetuities) but the commentary following a case (with citations to law review articles and other bullshit) is absolute filler.