Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

New OSCAR's up and running...I'd like to think I could get a federal clerkship SOMEWHERE but we'll see. It seems to me it's all about how many of the judge's search parameters can you fit into...I think I'm pretty good at that except for one minor one, that little criterion of not attending a TTT but that can't be that relevant right?

You are literally going to have to network your rear end off if you want to get a federal clerkship from a TTT. And by that I mean you may or may not have to offer your rear end to someone in exchange for a referral

I went to a career services event about clerkships and they basically straight up told us "because we don't have grades and law review and because the OSCAR system means federal judges get thousands of applications the only way you're going to get one is if you have a professor vouching for you so we've compiled a list of professors who know federal judges and well uh good luck"

Granted the lack of grades and law review at Northeastern are a big ol' hindrance there but yeah basically I figure that federal judges must get hundreds or/of thousands of applicants (especially in this economy) and I'm guessing they put them in an excel spreadsheet and sort for "harvard" so you really shouldn't count on that working out for you unless you have an in

sorry to burst your bubble but the only thing keeping me going atm is bursting peoples bubbles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

The last handful of posts have described the complete opposite of where I work; it's like you lot live in some alternate universe inhabited by amoral slave drivers. Here, they most certainly do care if your dog just died, and at any rate your workload isn't insanely heavy. Lawyers are a noble breed; it's shameful how so many graduates are degraded by big/small shitlaw into low class economic tools. :(

Public sector is the way to go

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just got a letter from Air Force JAG encouraging me to apply. I have a good feeling about it because it's dated October 2009 and is addressed to "Future Attorney"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

finally, my financial troubles are over! I got a job offer! Check it out!

For more than 10 years Condition Express Inc. carries out its business by working with non-standard banking accommodations around the world. We are expanding our company and grant a list of new services in the United States. Transferal of money for non U.S. citizens with the US check is one of our new
accommodations. For this reason our organization has some opened positions of "Check Processing Manager".
Your responsibilities are:
To get a check by USPS to cash this check
To transfer money to the client the way he/she chooses
To make a special formed accounts on the finished
work for every check
Staff claims:
To have valid address in the US
From 1 to 2 hours a day
To have Positive credit history
Your privileges:
The payment of 100 $ - 500 $ daily Payment of at least 3 000 $
Couple of working hours
We take care of all the taxes on the transactions you carry
out.
If this opening is interesting for you and you want to step please, create an account at our webpage and finish everything according to the instructions.
With best wishes,
TOP MANAGER
Condition Express Inc.

All I gotta do is give them my SSN and bank account number and I am SET! If any of you chumps wanna get at me I'll be in the fast lane, later losers

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Torpor posted:

Oh boy, you got a personal letter from the man in charge himself!

Not only once, but twice! From two different people in the span of one minute! They must really want me! I want to step, but I'm just not sure I can handle the responsibility of making a special formed accounts on the finished work for every check. I guess that's why it pays at least $3 000

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

It's unbelievable that this scam is still successful enough that people still attempt it.

I've been getting all sorts of scam e-mails (sometimes even phone calls) ever since I signed up for careerbuilder. I wish they made some kind of effort to keep them out, scammers who target the unemployed are the worst. At least the elderly sometimes have money, I'm just a bum

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Warp posted:

She's the kind of girl that likes to make a plan and stick with it, and make the best of it

There is no best of it! Goddamn! The answer is "neither!" If you like this girl at all, do not let her go to either of those law schools, the "best of it" would be moving back in with her parents and hoping that one of them can find her a job I am not exaggerating to you

It's been 3 or 4 weeks and at this point I'm satisfied that starbucks is never going to respond to my application. I also suspect that I am not a lucky dog and will not be interviewing with chipotle

edit: for reference, every time a post like yours comes up, many of us suspect it is a troll because the prospective law student at question is making such a dumb decision that if they'd read any of the words in the OP at all they wouldn't even bother to ask. In other words, law school (especially a bad law school, like the ones your girlfriend is looking at) is such a dumb idea that whenever someone posts in the law school thread about thinking about going to law school we assume they're trolling because nobody could ever be so dumb as to want to go to law school

that's how big of a mistake your girlfriend is trying to make, you really need to do your damndest to talk her out of it (unless you actually are trolling in which case drat me for falling for it again)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 27, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

Ainsley don't take this the wrong way but you are a grim and terrible portent of my own bleak future

One day I think I'm going to be drinking whiskey and playing xbox at 5 am (again) and i'm going to be visited by a spirit and a version of me from an alternate universe, and the spirit is going to say "this is what your life would be like if you'd gone to law school" and the other me will say "no! take me back, it's awful!"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Warp posted:

I stayed up into the obscure hours of the night trying to explain these things to her, sometimes gently, and then sometimes reading aloud from some of the more pointed comments. The best sure thing that I managed to do was eliminate LaVerne from her choices, but I understand the resounding truth that that's not nearly enough. But she's becoming more and more pliable, I think I might be able to handle this. It's horribly ironic, she had planned to tour Western today with her mom and that's where she's at.

I suspect that you're all right about the LSAT scores, she must not have done very well, must not have understood well enough just how pivotal it was, or maybe she's just embarrassed because she won't tell me.

She's just kind of panicking right now. Should I really listen to my boyfriend because the internet told him certain things? I've told her that this is stuff she probably should have known already. She's telling me she's not sure what the gently caress she's going to do for a year, but at the same time she wonders if she'd even have enough time to study for the LSAT before it's time to reapply. Her last semester brought her up past a 3.5, and it wasn't accounted for the last time around, so that'll be good.

It's hard to see where all this reluctance is being generated from. She was one of the few kids from her close knit city in LA to make it to Berkeley, and she's the brat of her family with a huge age gap between her older siblings and her. There's a lot riding on her and I doubt her benefactors really understand the decision she's making, and it'd take some straight talk to make them understand the strategy of waiting because she's afraid it might make her look lazy or incompetent. But that doesn't matter, saving face isn't worth throwing everything away.

Thank you for the the continued advice, I'm keeping up very persistently with my chiding.

Western State just got off of its ABA probation? I don't know what this means, she seems to think that this is normal, that most new schools take years to step away from provisional status. Can you tell me specifically why this is horrible? I believe you but I need accurate ammunition and I don't know a loving thing about Law or the compulsive and miserable professions that it necessitates.

Is there any way to contact recent grads of any of these schools? If they're anything like me they might have a few choice words to say about their decision to go to law school, perhaps she would listen to them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Warp posted:

She's wondering who the gently caress you guys are and where are all the unemployed lawyers you're talking about? She thinks that's there's no harm in going to Western State because she'll get her JD and pass the bar exam like every other lawyer, that they all learn the same damned material and they offered her a really huge scholarship. She thinks that you guys are just saying that she won't have a house by the beach or a cushy corporate firm, but I don't think she understands that it's more dire than that.

I am an unemployed lawyer, I got my JD and passed the bar exam like every other lawyer, I learned the same damned material and I got a small scholarship but even if I had a big one I'd still be screwed because I'm overqualified for nonlawyer jobs and underqualified (apparently) for lawyer ones

I also went to a better school than her

Seriously, she if see can find some grads to talk to or talk to some law firm people, asking about how many lawyers they've hired from Western State or what their opinion of the school is or something

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

at least she'll have an edge on people with just undergraduate degrees if she has not be a lawyer and just enter the job market.

I missed this part of your post the first time I responded to it but NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, BAD, THIS IS BAD, YOU TELL HER THAT SHE IS WRONG AND STUPID FOR THINKING THIS because I thought so too and it turns out to be completely wrong. I've sent my resume to four non-legal temping agencies and only one has responded to me (and that was to say "sorry, we can't help you"). I've even become desperate and applied for jobs at starbucks and chipotle and borders and I haven't heard a peep from them. Having a law degree gives you a severe disadvantage to undergraduates when applying for non-lawyer jobs, I can't believe how dumb I was for ever thinking otherwise. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if for some jobs, a felony conviction was less of a red flag because at least the ex-con isn't going to quit and run off to become a lawyer a few weeks after you train them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also, you said she had a big scholarship; make sure she reads the fine print on that scholarship because one of the lovely things that poorly ranked schools do is offer a big scholarship, but require you to maintain a certain GPA to keep it. These schools will also implement a brutal curve, which, combined with the arbitrary grading system that all law schools, even good ones use, ensures that some or many students will lose their scholarships and have to pay to stay in school. As hard as it is to back down from going to law school in the first place, it's even harder to drop out once you're already a year or so in, so it's a very risky move.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Borrowed way too much student loan money and have been living cheaply

I have about a month or so to find a job before I need to ask my parents for help

I had some paid internships during law school that helped out quite a bit

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

I took the LSAT there. You have no idea how depressing the campus is.

But it's a law school and that has to count for something WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU TO JUDGE??? WHO THE gently caress ARE YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Couldn't be, he didn't call her a friend of the family

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Ainsley, do you put your JD on your resume when you submit it?

I do, but if I didn't my resume would literally be half a page long because the bulk of my work experience is internships i did while in law school and they wouldn't make no sense without the JD

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Arsteia posted:

not really imo, i p. much spend all my free time studying and i barely crack the top 10%

Yeah, that's not true at all. Grades are kind of arbitrary and even if they weren't, the fact that you're at a TTT doesn't mean that 90-95% of your class is dumber than you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stingray1381 posted:

Did anyone know there was a Massachusetts School of Law?

At first I thought he meant UMass law (which I also did not know existed) and made a typo but nope, there's a Massachusetts School of Law too. A skimming of the wikipedia article suggests that it is not accredited

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

entris posted:

Estate planners are rough-riders too, man. We live on the edge:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47976-2004Dec8.html

I've posted this before, but it never stops being relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zy37-_0LU

I remember I took a trusts and estates class and the adjunct was a solo who was giving advice to students who were considering solo estate planning work and one of his pearls of wisdom was "if you're meeting a client out of the office, make sure you tell someone in the office where you're going, and if you're a woman, don't go to clients' homes by yourself"

law school!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

builds character posted:

Read 10-8's posts on financial aid. They make going to law school a marginally less bad decision.

The short version - borrow only federal debt (use a grad plus loan for your supplemental loan), then when you're 2 months away from the end of your grace period consolidate them and click the "IBR" button and baboom your payments are reasonable now (or zero, if you're broke enough)

I made two financial aid mistakes that I want to caution people against:

1) Private loans suck, IBR rules

2) Don't look at the extra 3 month grace period on your perkins loan (which is NOT eligible for IBR but may be consolidated with loans that are) and think "oh, well, i'll just wait to consolidate this", it's pointless. I applied to add it to the existing consolidated loan but forgot that it takes 2 months and now if I want to save my credit rating I have to submit a long form with copies of bills and pay stubs and a written statement and possibly a letter from the welfare office to prove that I'm too broke to repay it right now and could you possibly forbear it for a little while until the federal government does it for me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Torpor posted:

I've been simply unemployment deferring my loans can you consolidate them after the grace period and get on IBR or is the after grace period the issue with your huge amount of paper work? I guess I've got some reading to do :(

I think you can consolidate them whenever (at least I certainly pray that you can). Consolidating takes up to 60 days though, so plan ahead (though you can get a forbearance for those two months, though apparently the perkins people make you jump through extra hoops for it)

The initial application takes a long time to fill out because you have to enter the information for each one of your loans. Most of the info on your federal loans is available on http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/ though you have to find your account numbers elsewhere. NSLDS has no data on private loans.

After you consolidate, you can add other federal loans to the consolidated loan with a different, much easier form, but due to IBR I'm not sure why you'd want to wait to consolidate any of them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GBS watch

My brain hurts and also I'm angry

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

If I knew how to speak Russian fluently, I would literally consider slicing my dick off to get her cushy 150k+ small firm, easy hour, zero client hunting, immigration form-filling-out job.

Edit: while I would consider it, I am 100% positive that there would be a long line absolutely committed to slicing their dicks off for this job

I think this is a misuse of the word "literally". I might suck a dick for that job but I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep mine and be homeless if those were the only two choices

don't be overdramatic dude

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a lawyer

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Hey, that's really helpful, thanks!

Thank god I already have experience as a barista. Maybe Starbucks will take me back.

you joke but it's been a month and they still haven't responded to my application

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Me Clumsy posted:

I know it is sad that I have to ask this, but...

Why don't you just leave the J.D. out of your application for non-lawyer jobs?

Went straight from college to law school, if I leave the JD off my resume I have to leave my internships off as well and then my resume basically reads "worked a lameo office job, went to college, did nothing for 4 years"

i can stretch that out to half a page at best

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stingray1381 posted:

I don't know about at the trial court level, but I was a state appellate clerk. I read ever single brief, usually multiple times. If you had a good brief, you definitely increased your likelihood of success.

And if you had a bad brief, it would increase your chance of the clerks making fun of you behind your back. The court I interned at had a team of staff attorneys whose job it was (among other things as far as I know) to give the briefs a quick read and write a short screening memo to describe the issues in the case and give the clerks/judges an idea on where to start researching. We had this one brief, where the person's lawyer was also her father and the screening memo started out something like "the appellant's brief is quite frankly terrible and a great reminder of why you should never hire family to represent you. Nonetheless the claim might have teeth"

They didn't win that case, but the oral arguments were kind of funny - the lawyer was a fairly old man whose senses were pretty clearly beginning to diminish and while at the end of the other lawyer's argument, he kind of got up and walked to his podium like he was about to interrupt and say something; he didn't, but we were all on pins and needles waiting to hear what he was going to say.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

Uggh some of the Court of Appeals briefs were so bad, no just low-level criminal briefs either, the worst one I read was from the counsel of a bank that was being sued by a loan servicer for 900,000 dollars and the brief was just a horrible piece of poo poo that completely missed the issue.

Yeah it was a pretty enlightening experience, to see how terrible some actual lawyers really are. It made me think "hey, I could do that"

I mean, it turns out nobody* will hire me to do it so I guess I can't, but still

*nobody in the continental US anyway...the guam drums beat harder every day...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

yadayadayada posted:

Was this Epstein from SMU? We just had him for 3 days here.

I self-studied but I used the barbri books and lecture handouts and I seem to remember Epstein's being pretty funny. Or maybe I was just delirious and wanted to laugh at something, anything

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/04/disturbing-job-ads-the-un_n_600665.html

quote:

Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants.

god DAMNIT

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm more of an OE guy actually

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SWATJester posted:

In BarBri, is it acceptable to be getting about 50% on a set of MBE practice questions the day after you finish the section? Like, we just finished the last contracts lecture yesterday, I did the 25 MBE preview questions for it today, and got 13/25. Is that an acceptable score, or too low? I missed about 15 minutes of the second lecture and half of the third lecture, and I know at least 4 or 5 of the problems I got wrong are attributable to that (covering things in the sections I missed).

I self-studied, but for my first crack at a set of contracts MBE practice questions I got, I believe, 5/17 right. I think they're designed to make you feel like a dumbass so you study harder.

But hey, I passed, so I guess it works

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is the CA bar actually super-hard, or is the low passage rate mostly due to the fact that a lot of poorly prepared people take it every year? Or a combination of the two?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

Nah, I'm just doing appellate 1st amendment civil rights law. On porn. I spent the evening looking through nude photos trying to determine what counted constitutionally as 'obscene.'

Best. Job. Ever.

Did you know it when you saw it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

Law School grades.

A joke.

Not to employers!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tetrix posted:

It's a whistleblower statute in MA. And from my circuitous research today, I guess front pay is a possible remedy. The plaintiff does have a duty to mitigate, but it does seem like the plaintiff could get a pretty big reward, especially in this economy when it's hard to find a job. I am only assuming that the statute applies to probationary period employees because it (seems like) it applies to at-will employees. The lawyer that assigned this to me just thought it didn't make sense that someone should be paid or reinstated when they were in the probationary period, so they have no real vested right to wages.

So there's a vacancy is what you're saying

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

So there's a vacancy is what you're saying

But to attempt to actually answer your question (without having done any research mind you) I can't imagine any reason why the whistleblower statute wouldn't apply to a probationary employee unless there's something in the statute or the regs or a case that says so. If it applies to at-will employees, why wouldn't it apply to ones in a probationary period? Isn't that the whole point of employment laws, to restrict the employer's generally unmitigated power to fire people who have no job security in their contract? It wouldn't be legal to fire someone in violation of anti-discrimination statutes just because they're in a probationary period (as far as I know - again, haven't done any research), why would the whistleblower statute be any different? I'd assume that normal remedies would apply

I'm gonna round that up to 12 minutes, I'll send you an invoice

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

I think I just got my first work. A friend of mine is trying to sell his home-made halfpipe (for skateboarding) on Craigslist and asked me advice for writing up something to release him from liability. I told him to gently caress off since I don't pass the bar until next month - knock on wood - but then he offered to actually pay me. I haven't the slightest idea about anything, but I said I'll go for it!

Oh, god.

When he sues you for malpractice, let me know, I'll take the case (I don't know anything about malpractice but I'll take his money)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JohnnyTreachery posted:

you can waive expert testimony if the mistake/malpractice is so obvious that a layman understands why he did a Bad Thing

So BigHead, if you could gently caress up as much as humanly possible (try writing it in crayon and advising your client that it doesn't need to be signed in order to be binding also get him drunk first) you'd be helping me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IrritationX posted:

You could also justify it with a few years of practice in the right states for reciprocity. Not that the average viewer's even going to care about such things.

Just spend a few minutes every episode on a pro hac vice hearing

they have hearings for those right?