Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004
Don't know if this has been posted ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109478/bar-raised-for-law-grad-jobs?mod=career-work

"Thomas Reddy, a second-year student at Brooklyn Law School, hasn't landed a summer internship yet after sending resumes to more than 50 law firms. He is taking on about $70,000 of debt each year of the three-year program to earn his degree, but said he may be fortunate to make $80,000 a year in a lawyer job after graduating. "That is less than what I was making before I went to law school," he said."

I really don't think an $80K job out of law school as a lawyer actually exists. All the big firm jobs start at $160K and the rest of the jobs are small-mid size firms and government jobs. Those types of job all start much lower than $80K.

Revolver fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

But our moms are so proud of us!

Also, if you quit an $80K a year job to go to law school while taking out $70K in debt a year, you're an idiot. At least go part-time and keep your job.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

nm posted:

California:
DA or PD gets $50-98k out of law school depending on location ($98k is SF) with an average of 70-80k.
Mid-law here is $80-100k with a bit more in SF/LA (These firms are actually hiring as well)

So there are plenty of 80k jobs out here. I can't imagine NYC pays much less than CA's non-SF firms.

Not trying to be a dick, but I would love to see some actual job postings that reflect these numbers. The DA and PD numbers you note are particularly unbelieveable.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

nm posted:

Seriously?
You'll make that or more in east jesus nowhere, CA where you can buy a palace for $250k.
So yeah, don't move to New York. (Don't move to CA either, no jobs).
Hell, Minneapolis pays $50ishk out of LS.

This was open a few weeks ago:
http://www.jobaps.com/SF/specs/classspecdisplay.asp?ClassNumber=8177&R1=undefined&R3=undefined
Yes, that is Attorney I. There is a catch: It isn'tt civil service (at will, which can be bad if you're expensive and it is crunch time), and it isn't exactly easy to get in.
Sacramento PD just bumped starting salaries to $88k, but that is all in theory as they are not hiring (in fct, they are laying off).
Santa Clara DA has an opening starting at $92k -- entry level: http://www.governmentjobs.com/view_job.cfm?JobID=225587&hit_count=Yes&

Worth noting: DA and PD are paid the same in CA, so do county council though an "entry-level" county council job generally requires experience.
Also worth noting if you actually get any of these jobs you've worked for free for a bit somewhere in CA.

Very interesting. I lived my life mostly in the Midwest and those PD and ADA jobs start at $40-50K. I'm shocked there are state jobs that pay that much for someone just out of law school.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

10-8, I thought you were lying about how awesome your job was. Now that I'm working for an agency I have come to realize that you were downplaying it so we wouldn't kill you and wear your skin.

I downplay how good my job is all the time for all of you.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

Wow, I don't know what is worse; the content of the video or the fact that he thought it might help him in "the legal community". His office was very impressive by why didn't he mention the vintage coke machine?

Did anyone know there was a Massachusetts School of Law?

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw this since ElieKash didn't make a new post, only edited the old post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrQSdSSbDQ&feature=player_embedded

dude's got pictures of the founding fathers and law books, he ain't fuckin around

ahahahaah. I went back to watch it again because it's so psycho, but I get the message that the user removed the video.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's lesson:

No one actually reads the poo poo you file, not your bosses, not your local counsel, nor the judge. The only people who read what you file are opposing counsel and only so they can bill. They won't pass it on to their clients until the eve of trial.

I don't know about at the trial court level, but I was a state appellate clerk. I read ever single brief, usually multiple times. If you had a good brief, you definitely increased your likelihood of success.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

I think I may have made a post a couple months ago saying that I had made it through two years of law school in a long term relationship.

Looks like it won't be three.

So glad I only looked for jobs in the market where she said she wanted to live.

Die alone.

That's a bummer. Hope things turn around for you.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Oh, no, quote the whole quote from him.

:suicide:

I was actually more frustrated by this:

Says Arizona State's Berman, "I think that law school remains a great investment because of the kinds of analytical skills law school teaches—whether you end up practicing at a law firm, or going into business, or going into government."

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Draile posted:

Ben's Chili Bowl is hugely overrated and is awash in tourists at all hours. But DC is such a terrible city for cheap food that there isn't much to recommend in its place.

Five Guys is pretty good for cheap food. The burgers and fries are tasty, and they are all over.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Defleshed posted:

JAG Stuff

What are you required to do as a reservist? I've been thinking about looking into it.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

Dean had an "all hands on deck" meeting with us today. His message, and I quote: "Re-calibrate your expectations" and "be entrepreneurial". :(

If I had the creativity necessary to be entrepreneurial, I wouldn't have gone to law school.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

michigan is literally the worst state in your pitiable union

New York

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

I mean what's crackin in South Dakota? What does South Dakota do or have? Seriously.

Wall Drug

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004
http://www.law.gwu.edu/News/newsstories/Pages/2010SpaceLawTeam.aspx

I wish I practiced Space Law. :-(

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Mookie posted:

In other news, I've been talking over the prospect of quitting my job and moving to a small town in the south to open up a solo practice. Comedy is guaranteed to ensue.

Are you going to buy a bowling alley?

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

evilweasel posted:

To make my earlier joke clearer since you're not American:

"Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal."

It is a basic antitrust violation to restrict the number of law schools to drive up lawyer salaries.

I know I'm being lazy, and I could look this up, but how do law schools differ from med schools? Why are med schools able to control their numbers?

Revolver fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 29, 2010

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004
Federal civilian pay freeze. No COLA for the next two years. All legal jobs that still exist are becoming less attractive.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

schwein11 posted:

Stumbled upon this thread and wanted to introduce myself -- Clerking for my second judge in two years. First judge was federal district court judge, second judge is a federal magistrate judge in the same courthouse. Located in the upper midwest / rustbelt. Just lined up a more permanent gig at an area law firm (I want to stay in the same geographical area, I was born/raised here and went to law school here). It took me a full year of clerking for one judge and four months of clerking for my second judge before getting my first firm job offer. Insane. Classmates from my TTT law school who didn't fare as well academically (but still did pretty well) are still hunting for jobs. Lesson: don't go to law school unless it's T14 if you want to reasonably be able to find a job when you get out. (I recognize I'm merely adding to the choir here).

Willing to answer questions about clerking if people are interested.

That's a strange step down. I asssume clerking for the magistrate after the district was driven by the economy?

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

schwein11 posted:

I went to what is now a third tier law school according to the USNW rankings. It was second tier my first year, but then dropped. I would quibble with the third "T" with respect to my school -- I feel I received a very good legal education there, and I am supportive of my law school, but the sad fact is that our graduates are having a hell of a time finding jobs nowadays.

Was your law school, a private school in the Midwest and was your clerkship in the 7th circuit?

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

nm posted:

I know someone who clerked for the supreme court.
You have to clerk for the right circuit judge. You can go to a somewhat greater variety of schools than just Yale but you must do extremely well.
She didn't have any "connections" before law school.
She is living the law prof dream. Goddamn law professors.

That or you can clerk for a non-feeder circuit court judge and then get a Bristow fellowship.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Petey posted:

Right this is an example of what I mean. The differences are insane. It is not something that I realized as a lifelong public school kid. But the elite private high schools - you pay for them because yes, the education is good, but mostly because they will get your kids into Ivies, with prestigious private schools as the safeties.

This is an interesting discussion that is predicated on the assumption that it is worth the extra money to send your kid to Harvard for undergrad rather than, for example, the University of Illinois. I'm not sure I buy this. Does it really give a student that much of a leg up to go to an elite undergrad institution? Clearly, it does for law school, but does it really matter as much where you go to college? It seems to me to be more important that you pick a useful major and get good grades.

Edit: Maybe we are just a product of our respective environments. I live in DC now, and I definitely see more of an Ivy influence than I did growing up back in the Midwest. I also attended both public high school and public undergrad.

Revolver fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 20, 2010

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Like I said above, I think the most valuable part about attending an elite institution for undergrad is that you're going to be surrounded by lots of people talking about things like banking, consulting, grad school, professional school and making jokes about Bear Stearns. Now whether that's desirable/you want to start wearing Top-Siders with no socks is up to you, but you're definitely going to learn a lot from a kid whose entire extended family works at GS.

Is that worth the added debt though?

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Linguica posted:

Did law review, no-offered from 2L firm, graduated median-ish, still unemployed </personalanecdote>

Do you wish you had stayed at University of San Diego Law School?

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

prussian advisor posted:

As long as you're reading the thread, can I ask you a quick question? In the office where you work, and in other offices that you know of, how many of the attorneys would you say either spent time working as a JAG or have other military backgrounds?

In my current office, out of 15 or so attorneys, I think one person has a military background (he was Navy officer, but not a JAG). In my last office with about 60 attorneys, I'd say 10 or so had a military background (maybe 5 or so were ex-JAG).

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Linguica posted:

It's "School of Law" not "Law School" dude

Do I wish I hadn't transferred? I don't know, I would have less debt but still a pretty significant debt load, god knows if I would have gotten a 2L summer job, I would have still had the friends I made in 1L instead of moving to a tundra where I didn't know a single person

I don't regret transferring as such, I more regret the entire decision to attend law school at all

Bummer. I assume you moved back?

People need to understand that we have a Michigan Law, law review alumnus without a job. I don't know if you're socially retarded, but if not, that's really depressing.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

just turned down a job as a patent agent for $120k (after they had offered me $110k).

went, have job, married

You made a wise choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004

crankdatbatman posted:

I've used TLS a ton, including the forums. And I've even read an Ask/Tell thread from a 3L there. That thread and the website on the whole is much more positive than what I've read here. I know that the employment opportunities are really bad, I've read that everywhere, and I agree. I just don't think it's quite wrist-slitting bad as everyone here is making it out to be.

You really need to go to law school. Things really are awesome, and there is no glut of lawyers.