Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Linguica posted:

I did some math (multiplying % of article III clerkships by number of students in the class) and the USNWR clerkship numbers suggest that there are approx. 1457 Article III clerkships available in a year. Does that sound correct to anyone

edit: "There are currently 875 authorized Article III judgeships." So about 2 clerks per judge?

That might even be a little conservative. The Article III judges here in Denver all have two, and three isn't unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

mushi posted:

Someone in the last thread had some useful advice about picking up clients that aren't quite poor enough to meet the requirements for Legal Aid but not having enough money to hire an attorney at market rate. I searched 20 pages or so in the last thread but didn't find it.

I believe they said something along the lines of some jurisdictions having some sort of list or service in order to find these potential clients for some cheap work. Anyone know what those services are called? Better yet, whether Oregon specifically has such a service?

That would be me.

Oregon hasn't gotten on-board with pro se assistance and unbundling programs yet, and are more focused on pro bono representation. But that doesn't mean you can't take the lead on that.

One thing you can do is talk with the Legal Services office that should be in just about every court house in the state, and leave them your contact information for referral to any clients who don't qualify for assistance but can't afford full services. Then, you consult with whoever is referred, agree on the level of assistance you're going to provide and what rates you'll charge.

The benefit of this is that client isn't going to tie up as much of your time as a full service client will, which means you'll have time to help more people, and if they're happy they're going to come back the next time they have a problem, as well as possibly referring more people to you. The benefit to them is they're not going in completely ignorant of what's going on, don't have to spend a bunch of time doing legal research and teaching themselves about what the next steps are going to be, and they can have a better idea of what they're going to see and hear in the court room if you prepare them in advance. The benefit to the court is the staff isn't going to be tied up answering their questions about procedure and brushing them off when they ask for legal advice, which takes a ton more time than helping an attorney, as well as helping keep refilings and continuances off the docket.

If Legal Services doesn't have a list of attorneys and is hesitant to get your contact information, explain the above to them. It should change their tune.

e: Here is some information through the ABA website.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

mushi posted:

Thanks. This post is super helpful and I might have a few more questions for you. If you don't mind me asking, what jurisdiction do you work in? I just got admitted recently, but yeah, pro se representation is (as far as I know) what Legal Aid does in Oregon. I'm planning on helping with the bankruptcy clinic through legal aid, but that is all full scale representation on a volunteer basis. At a Q&A, the attorneys who work the clinic said a few times that their private bankruptcy clients look like millionaires compared to the people who are taken in by the pro se clinic. Yikes.

I'll give you whatever information I can. I'm not currently working, just finishing a graduate program in court administration at the University of Denver law school. I'm applying for court clerk/administrator positions here in Colorado, as well as in the northwest--hopefully back to Oregon, where I'm from. But pro se litigants and case flow management are two of my pet projects, because they work so well together.

I know exactly how it goes with unrepresented folks when they go to bankruptcy court. One day in the bankruptcy court here in Denver was all it took to make me want to do as much as I could to get them the help they need. Not only for their sake, but the system's.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Paralegal is the new medical transcriptionist, which was the new network engineer.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

How do you punctuate a quote within a quote?

The original text says:

He said, "She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.'"

Do you do this:

"He said, 'She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.''"

?

edit:

'''He said, ''She said, 'Hi, my name is Susan.''''''

Neither. You just alternate the double and single quotes, so it looks like this:

"He said, 'she said, "Hi, my name is Susan,"'"

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Elotana posted:

The one thing I could never figure out was how to close a sentence that ended both a quote and a parenthetical. (This is an example of a line like that, where you realize "hey, I don't know what the gently caress to do at the end here.").

Something about ."). didn't look right visually. Should I have ditched the outer period?

You only need one of the periods. If the parenthetical is part of the original sentence, it goes outside the closing parenthesis. If the parenthetical is its own sentence, as in this example, it goes on the outside.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Related question - what do you do about question marks at the end of a sentence that ends with a quote when the question mark isn't part of the sentence? For example, how do you interpret the meaning of "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks but you get the point"? Should the ? go inside the quotation? If it goes outside, should something go inside the quotation?

Related question to the related question - what do you do when you're quoting a question in the middle of a sentence? For example, some guy just asked me "do you have any spare change?" and I shot him.

For your first question, if the question mark is part of the quote, it goes inside. If it's part of the main sentence, it goes outside.

How do you interpret the meaning of, "I can't think of an example sentence to put in quotation marks, but you get the point"?

For the related question, there is no proper way to place ending punctuation in the middle of a sentence. Rewrite it and make a new sentence, or use a comma for the quote.

Some guy just asked me, "Do you have any spare change?" I shot him.
Some guy just asked me, "Do you have any spare change," so I shot him.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

nm posted:

Well how am I supposed to get them to the school so I can sell crack to 8 year olds?

Juvenile couriers, of course.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Cali. He rides to them from Mexico. One or two episodes can be a Breaking Bad crossover.

You could also justify it with a few years of practice in the right states for reciprocity. Not that the average viewer's even going to care about such things.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just spend a few minutes every episode on a pro hac vice hearing

they have hearings for those right?

You know, that could add to entertainment value, if it's anything like "My Cousin Vinny" when he's talking to the judge in chambers. Could be good for introducing the "quirky judge of the week."

IrritationX fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 10, 2010

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

I thought this was going to be a comedy. So far, it sounds more like "Life" than "Northern Exposure".

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Alaemon posted:

What gets written at this time is wholly irrelevant. By the time the network gets done with it, the title will be Who Wants to Marry America's Next Top Litigator?

Definite point.

Also, if anyone speaks Spanish at a very high level and would be interested in checking out employment opportunities in Buenos Aires, I recently made some contacts down there while I spent a week there for some seminars.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

PastaSky posted:

Edit: I just noticed the last post was in feb, did we get a new thread?

This is the current thread. You're looking at a reg date.

IrritationX fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 13, 2010

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

KimchiHead posted:

Sure I'll get on it, but I'm going out soon. It's Friday, and I'm not in law school yet, so I'll not be reading cases when I could be mackin some hos.

I'll take a look at them tomorrow.

KimchiHead, I'm going to make this a very, very easy decision for you by asking one simple question: Do you want to spend the rest of your life being as bitter as the rest of the people in this thread? And that doesn't just mean your working years, but all of them, until you loving die. Because if you think they're "getting pretty worked up" over a discussion about going to law school, try being a law student or, god forbid, a lawyer, and getting even more worked up over absolutely everything. Even poo poo you disagree with. gently caress, especially poo poo you disagree with.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Solomon Grundy posted:

Well, like I said, that was a long time ago (late nineties). The more recent number was a flat $5,000.

Seriously. There are enough small firms folding up their tents lately that it may be wiser to invest in Michael Vick rookie cards.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

HooKars posted:

I applied to a paralegal job asking for 5 years experience at the company that my dad used to work for (and was general counsel for and he submitted my resume to). I was thinking I might actually hear back that I wasn't qualified enough because it required so many years of experience and I only have like 2 years of actual paralegal experience.

Wrong. The person thought it "wouldn't be challenging enough" for me and that "the payscale wouldn't be good enough for me." And my dad said he couldn't disagree (thanks Dad). The job paid about $60k to start and since if I'm honest, I have no real interest in being a lawyer, would have been perfect for me. I can't figure out what kind of job my dad thinks I'll magically get.

Tell him to quit and get a new job if he's so sure the market is so great. It shouldn't be that hard with his level of experience. If he isn't willing to do that, he could at least take your word for it and not submarine your efforts.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

InternetRulesLawyer posted:

Frankly, I think it's funny that somebody stole a bunch of money from MMO goons and it made them so mad that they're chasing shadows on the internet years later. Do goons do this to people who stole from other guilds in MMO games? What the gently caress does Remedial-esque even mean? Hahahaha

I take it you never heard of Fiestadog.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

diospadre posted:

Oh yeah, if you want to defer this issue with your parents for another year you should rob a bank like that one guy so Fordham rescinds your admission. Just make sure to steal enough so it's a felony.

Repeat after me: "I forgot armed robbery was illegal."

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Now I'm really curious about who meth is now that I know he's at Cornell.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

methamphetamine posted:

Are you a rising 2L too? I don't have private messages but give me an email address and I'll tell you who I am. I rarely talked in class I dunno if you'd be able to guess.

No, but I know a few rising 2Ls at Cornell, and have heard stories about lots of people there. If you've kept your head down, I doubt I would have heard of you before.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Trash Can Man posted:

Phil with it? What does that even mean?

You're obviously not with it.

You must post on TLS.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Best of luck to all the folks taking the bar.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

School's done. No job yet, but a couple prospects.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

billion dollar bitch posted:

During interviews, when they ask if you have any questions, do you think that I should mention things on their firm profile? Is this too gauche? Also, if you have any interview tips in general, I would love to hear them.

If there's anything about the firm that interests you, of course you should ask about it, no matter where you found it. You want them to know that you're genuinely interested not only in the position, but in the firm and what they do. Even if it's asking whether they have a softball team if that's what you're into.

During interviews, I'll usually turn the questions they asked back around on them. Are you doing what you expected you would be doing five years ago? What are the best and worst parts about the work you're doing? If a friend's son or daughter were looking for a job as a lawyer, would you recommend this firm, and why or why not? Most importantly, ask them if there's anything that they would like to know more about or any questions that they have about you that haven't been answered during the interview.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

If you're serious, you should only go to law school to specifically be a lawyer. Not a lawyer-politician, not a lawyer-whatever, but a lawyer only. Law school serves no other purpose, and barely serves that one.

Your options are very limited, and you're going to end up paying sticker no matter where you go. If you go to law school, 1) Go to the best school you can 2) in the region you want to work in as a lawyer 3) as cheaply as possible. If you're going to a low-ranked school and paying sticker, do not go to law school, period.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Jove posted:

Flying out to HLS tomorrow. Freakin' the gently caress out! Any HLS goons out there? Helpful tips?

I've been living on the West Coast for five years. Will I be shocked (shocked!) by the more intense and bitchy attitudes there? Are HLS students as horrible as some say they are?

One of the coolest people I've ever known is a 2L at Harvard. I might be able to put you two in contact.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that a) Queen Victoria Furniture Store can't sue Queen Victoria Chocolates, for example, and b) Ian Curtis is deader than disco.

I only wish disco and everything it spawned were that dead.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

The worst they can do is say no. If he can spare the cash for the application fees, why not give them the chance of rejecting the application before he does so for himself?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

entris posted:

Because rejecting yourself is an important life skill, doubly so for attorneys.

I guess to stick with the spirit of the thread, I should've written, "The worst they can do is say yes."

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

Worst states (AP):

1) Florida
1) Louisiana
1) Alabama
1) South Carolina
1) Georgia
6) Indiana
6) Ohio
6) Alaska
9) North Carolina
10) Georgia
11) Arizona
12) Texas
13) Arkansas
14) Michigan
. . .

Oklahoma? Mississippi? Idaho? Missouri? Kansas? West Virginia? Both loving Dakotas?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

entris posted:

Doesn't that raise all kinds of multi-jurisdictional UPL issues?

I thought that would be taken care of in pro hac vice meetings to introduce the quirky judge of the week, in "My Cousin Vinny" fashion.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

poofactory posted:

Obviously the solution is more lawyers.

I think this is a fine idea. If not actually making people lawyers, giving them just enough of a legal education to teach people what the system's really about and what goes into a legal decision, especially appeals. Then I wouldn't get stupid questions like whether Phelps' protests at funerals are free speech or not. People don't seem to appreciate "it depends" as an answer.

evilweasel posted:

today, I discovered that texas law needed to explicitly spell out to jails that they are not permitted to force inmates to participate (as the targets, obviously) in training dogs to attack people (Tex. Gov't Code § 501.021 )

But isn't that how it usually goes? Seems the majority of the time human decency has to be either legislated or clarified through judicial review.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

I want you to think about the LSAT. Think about how you're stressing, the consequences of what you're doing and how hard the test is.

That's the easiest test you'll take for the rest of your life if you go to law school.

This.

Good luck to the people taking it, but just keep this post in mind, as understated as it is, while you're waiting for your results. And when you're thinking about which applications to send. And when you're waiting for the results of those applications. And waiting for school to start. That's a lot of waiting, a lot of time to think, and a lot of time to be really sure about what you're getting into and exactly why you want to do it.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

It's the same poo poo that makes people think that 75% of students will rank in the top 15% of the class, 85% will make salaries in the 90th percentile after graduating, and that 100% of people can be in the top 2% of earners with enough hard work.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

diospadre posted:

Clearly didn't go to law school

The "but for" is almost as clear an indicator of the taint of law school on a person's soul as supra.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Shang Yang posted:

And where in the Constitution does it say that the Supreme Court defines the meaning of the Constitution?

It can be found in Article III, Section 1:

"The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish."

Judicial power is the settling of disputes and granting of remedies when one party suffers an injury by another. That is the essence of a disagreement over interpretation of the Constitution, treaties, federal laws, or anything else over which the Supreme Court has jurisdiction. When laws are contradictory, the Court determines the operation of them. And what is the Constitution but the most basic law of the United States?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Is it unhealthy to develop an immediate allegiance to Westlaw over Lexis, or should I be more open minded?

Feel free to have a preference, but know them both equally well because once you're in the real world, you may be stuck with one but not the other.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

You people are monsters.

:colbert:

Some people live their lives 6 minutes at a time.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

drat it. I saw all these replies and got excited over the prospect of some new taco joint to try. But then I find out it's another troll/dimwit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

I don't think they were supposed to post them for another week, but they kind of jumped the gun today and probably felt it was easier to just send them out than to continue denying that it happened and stall for a week or more.