Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Alaemon posted:

Strictly speaking, I don't know that it would be covered as Brady/Giglio exculpatory material. The fact that she died is not exculpatory as such.

I actually had a long conversation with an ADA on this very topic. Here's a possibility that came up where Brady might be involved:

I agree that losing inculpatory evidence is not equivalent to possessing exculpatory evidence, and therefore is not explicitly covered by Brady. However, if the prosecutor somehow loses all of her inculpatory evidence—as in the hypothetical—the prosecutor then lacks any evidence that points toward the defendant's guilt. In that very limited case, do you think the lack of any inculpatory evidence at all effectively exculpates the defendant, and therefore the lack of evidence should be disclosed under a broad interpretation of Brady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
"Know" is a really tough word in legal ethics. When exactly do you "know" something, rather than suspect it, or have a pretty good idea? Even if someone says "I did it," does that mean you know he did it? How do you know he's not lying?

MRPC 1.0(f) showcases how hard the word "know" is to define:

MRPC 1.0(f) posted:

(f) "Knowingly," "known," or "knows" denotes actual knowledge of the fact in question. A person's knowledge may be inferred from circumstances.
So the definition of "know" is "actual knowledge." Fantastic.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Ben's Chili Bowl is hugely overrated and is awash in tourists at all hours. But DC is such a terrible city for cheap food that there isn't much to recommend in its place.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Five Guys is delicious although it's expanded everywhere now so I don't think of it as a DC-specific place to go.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

As a side question, is a physical mailing better than e-mail to send unsolicited resumes/cover letters?

Based on no evidence whatsoever, I'll speculate that physical mail is better than e-mail, reason being that no one wants their inbox flooded with spam. (Your unsolicited resume is basically spam.) It's easier to filter physical mail than e-mail, so I think physical mail is less intrusive.

Physical mail also shows that you put some nonzero amount of effort into applying for the position, but who knows how much that matters since your chances of being hired based on an unsolicited submission are slim to none anyway.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

gvibes posted:

So looks like I'm doing OCI for my firm this year. How do you suggest terrorizing the poor saps we aren't offering jobs to?

When you get the list of people you'll be interviewing, go to their Facebook pages and print out embarrassing pictures of them. Begin your interview by asking them to explain the pictures.

A firm did this to one of my friends during 2L OCI and the result was hilarious for everyone except him.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

jake1357 posted:

What about the rest of the materials in the casebook? The commentary and practice questions, etc

You mean, the things that are not on the exam?

jake1357 posted:

Also, what do you do when you get called on in class and need to direct the professor to where your answer came from? "198 U.S. 215 at 221" isn't very helpful when the rest of the class is using a casebook with the page numbers edited out with an abridged version of the case.

Someone tried this back on my very first day of 1L year. He got called on and described d a few facts that had been edited out of the casebook. The professor knew something was up and pressed him until he admitted that he'd read a hornbook instead of the casebook. Very embarrassing on your first day of law school, but it still doesn't affect your exam performance.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't think I knew anyone who totally blew off class and still did well. Class does teach you reasoning and application skills even if you don't realize you're developing them. I know everyone pooh-poohs "thinking like a lawyer" because that stupidly implies some kind of rarefied thought process that normal humans can't achieve, but it's still worth asking yourself whether you would possess the same skills that you do now if you'd skipped law school entirely and just read a bunch of hornbooks instead.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't think being an adult gives you a right to show up to class unprepared without the risk of penalty.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

HooKars posted:

Many do penalize people - through their grading. But they're usually up front about their policies and expectations on Day One, giving you the opportunity to drop their class if it's not something you agree with.

I definitely agree. Professors who require participation (as they are certainly allowed to do) should be upfront about the consequences of non-participation.

Honor code violations for being unprepared does seem harsh, and there's no doubt that it's excessive if the only punishment for violating the code is expulsion. I think most schools have some kind of lesser punishment though, like a reprimand or a mark on your record that has to be disclosed to the bar.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

quepasa18 posted:

I had an OCI interview where I got the rejection letter in the mail the next day. So they must have decided "no" ahead of time and prepared the letter to mail right after the interview. Hell, maybe they mailed it before the interview. I had actually thought it went pretty well too. I was pretty pissed off about that.

I once got a rejection letter dated the day after my interview. I interviewed on a Friday.

What are the chances that (1) the hiring partners deliberated that very day and the secretary worked a Saturday to send me my rejection; versus (2) I had been rejected before ever showing up?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

GregNorc posted:

Do 1Ls typically intern, or do you wait until summer after 2L?

1Ls should do something related to law, usually working for the government (DA's office, judicial intern) or a nonprofit. 1L summer work is typically unpaid and it very rarely leads to postgraduate jobs.

2Ls are supposed to pursue summer employment that will then turn into offers for full-time jobs upon graduation, although this model has suffered a lot due to the recession.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Why is the AMA good at protecting the interests of doctors but the ABA is actively out to ruin the legal profession

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Lykourgos posted:

Wait... three months? I thought the appropriate day-in day-out study time was ten days or so

July 5 tends to be the oh poo poo moment. Before then you probably aren't studying hard but are developing all sorts of anxiety about how you haven't started yet.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I once got a callback by mail that showed up a few weeks after OCI, but for the most part if I hadn't heard anything within a few days of the interview that meant I wasn't getting a callback.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
oh my god ahahahahahaha

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

SWATJester posted:

Wow I want to slap that motherfucker

Legal education gives students what 99.9 percent of humanity yearns for but is denied: control over one’s own life. It is a license to make of your life what you may, to live the American dream to its fullest.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Ainsley McTree posted:

I did not realize that the American dream involved being a lawyer whether you like it or not and paying back student loans for 25 years

Grumblefish is the dean of Rutgers Law

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
My free year with ABA is just about up. Do I need to call in to cancel my membership or can I just not pay any dues until ABA cancels for me?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
That's not what I mean. If I can continue my membership for free until they cancel for me, without any consequences for doing so, then I get more out of my membership than if I just cancel right now.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Bar dues and mandatory CLE.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The New York Times posted:

Craigslist Blocks Access to ‘Adult Services’ Pages

Craigslist, the popular Web site for classified ads, has blocked access to its “adult services” section and replaced the link with a black label with the word “censored.”

The action on Saturday follows a wave of criticism by law-enforcement officials and groups that oppose human trafficking, who have said that the ads on the adult section of Craigslist were facilitating prostitution and the selling of women against their will.

Craigslist, while promising to provide more rigorous oversight of the ads, has defended its right to run them and says it is protected from liability by the Communications Decency Act — a position that judges and legal experts have generally agreed with. . . .

But law enforcement officials have argued that sites need to take more responsibility for ads or content that can facilitate criminal activity. In 2008 attorneys general from 40 states began pressuring Craigslist to do a better job of screening adult ads.

Since May 2009, Craigslist has said, all adult services ads have been manually screened by a lawyer before being posted to the site.

A job!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Enigma89 posted:

If any of you guys know some good entertainment law schools let me know.

The best entertainment law school is the highest-ranked school you get in to.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Do the torts textbooks finally have a case to replace Byrne v. Boadle?

The Daily Beast posted:

ELO's Mike Edwards Killed by Hay Bale

Electric Light Orchestra’s Mike Edwards was killed in a freak accident when a hay bale broke loose from a tractor and rolled onto a road, where it crushed the van Edwards was driving in Devon, England on Friday. The 1970s British rock star died instantly upon impact with the 1,300-pound bale. Police identified Edwards using YouTube clips. Friends remembered Edwards as “simply the nicest guy and a brilliant musician.”

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
This gigantic building is GULC's gym (creepy Thomas the Tank Engine not included):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Has anyone mentioned Breaking Bad on AMC and that it spawned this website http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Defleshed posted:

That fat bastard will never publish the loving thing.

I think at least he needs to write faster than HBO can produce.

Is feast for crows worth it I stopped reading like 10 years ago with storm of swords.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Defleshed posted:

In legal employment news, my JD actually helped me land a very nice promotion this week (as in a nearly 100% pay increase and a much nicer office). Still didn't make it worth it to go to law school but at least I don't feel like a total failure now. In fact, I am pretty loving stoked. I still work at the ABA though so it's often difficult to shake the feeling of being a sonderkommando.

That is excellent news, so congratulations. And it's kind of funny to think that being a lawyer is a big plus-factor for promotion at the ABA. Not even the ABA is willing to hire lawyers?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Petey it's a good thing you decided against going to law school because I don't know how you could stand working with the law while being so contemptuous of it.

By the way a fun academic exercise you might like is comparing Posner's A Failure of Capitalism to Shiller's Irrational Exuberance.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Stop posted:

I applied to Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Cal, Chicago, and Duke.

Kinda hoping for the Bay Schools since I grew up there

Have fun at Stanford / Cal. You would have been a probable admit at Yale if you'd applied there, too.

Also be ready for half of your classmates claiming they want to do public interest but ending up in biglaw.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

MoFauxHawk posted:

What? No. Don't say stuff like this if you don't actually know. Those aren't Yale numbers. He has a shot at Yale, but probably wouldn't get in. And he's only a maybe at Harvard and Stanford. Stanford is also pretty grade-heavy so his chances at Harvard are probably better. He has a very good chance of not making it into HYS altogether. The GPA is a little low for those schools.

Looking at top-law-schools, I think you're right about Yale, which has a 3.82 as its 25th percentile and is a few tenths higher than I thought. A 3.75 will be tough to compete with even with an LSAT well above the 75th percentile (176).

The 3.75 is also little low for HS but I think 178 compensates for it. The LSAT is weighed higher than GPA and at the upper extremes of the scale even minor changes in score drastically improve positioning relative to other applicants. In particular, Stanford's 75th percentile is only a 172, which is the 98.6th percentile on the exam; a 178 is in the 99.9th according to http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/lsat-score-conversion. That 1.3% is a big difference when lots of top students with similar numbers are applying.

I think he's safe at Cal since he's well within GPA range and well above LSAT range. The only real wrinkle there is that Cal is more GPA-intensive than other schools, but again I think his superior LSAT makes up for it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

New York Law Journal posted:

Advice for the Lawlorn

Q:

Dear Ann,

I am a rising 3L at one of the top 6 law schools in the country, and had few summer associate offers as compared to the rest of my classmates. The problem was that I bombed my first semester of law school and finished my 1L year with 3 Cs on my transcript. My grades improved a good bit after that. In my 2L year I got one A and all the rest Bs.

How marketable would you say I am if I decide to interview again after this summer? Do you think firms will overlook my 3 Cs in my first year? Or will these bad grades at the beginning haunt me forever?

Her answer is a lot of words but in summary it is "you're screwed."

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

SWATJester posted:

Dear law school OCPD department.

I understand that in your magical fantasy world, a GS-15 level position is totally an "entry-level" position that new J.D. graduates are qualified for.

However, in the real world, that is not the case. So when I link you to the OPM hiring manual showing that a J.D. qualifies you only for a GS-9 position, and that GS-12 and higher positions are either specialized experience only with no education substitute, or are Ph.D. or post-doc required, why is your response "If you don't like it, unsubscribe from the CareerLink mailing list"?

When I was a 1L/2L, I think I remember seeing entry-level jobs at GS-11. This was back when the government had money.

Now entry-levels are GS-9, GS-11 requires one year of experience or some scholastic qualification (top 1/3, law review, etc.), and GS-12 requires two years or one year plus scholastic qualification. GS-15 is fantasyland.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

nm posted:

What's a good law school for space law?
I hear Valpo is good for space law, confirm/deny?

GULC has a space law seminar.

edit http://www.law.georgetown.edu/curriculum/tab_courses.cfm?Status=Course&CourseNumber=406

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Napoleon I posted:

Oh, a more specific question.

If I do my summer or a year as an associate at Quinn, and hate it, what are the prospects for leaving vs. the others? Which has the best lateral prospects/best chance of getting a US Attorney gig?

The prospects for leaving after just a summer are that you get to be unemployed because practically no one in biglaw is hiring 3Ls and your biglaw resume will scare small firms/DA offices, etc.

As for leaving after a year, I don't know for sure but I'm skeptical about what practical skills and experience a first-year would bring that would make you appealing to other firms (who have plenty of you already) or the U.S. Attorney (who has more experienced applicants to take).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Nonprofit sector update: New York Legal Assistance Group just hired a lawyer. They had over 600 applications for the job.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The Good posted:

This thread has really made me rethink law school as a possible career path. Basically, if I don't do incredibly well on the LSAT, I'll probably reconsider.

Anyways, I suggest everyone here go and watch Liar Liar to cheer themselves up.

"Law school" isn't a career path. Law school is what you go through for three years on your way to being a lawyer. If you're not interested in being a lawyer three years from now you shouldn't go to law school.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
All the cool people opt-in to Section 3. This is a fact. Take Section 3 if you want to meet cool people and make friends.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
How do you get graded in a clinic if the clinic ends before the cases you work on are resolved? I mean maybe you wrote a brilliant and poetic brief but does it really matter if you lose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Only registered members can see post attachments!