Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I haven't read this thread for a while but I guess it's still filled with people who come for advice and then disregard all the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Keith Mars posted:

Ahhh the beginning of the month. Send out bills, receive condescending emails from clients that are angry that you actually expect them to pay you for the work you do.

I'm in-house and I have to contest bills all the time and it is horrible. It's hard to get the business side to appreciate that good lawyering takes time.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't mind if outside counsel wants to go off the grid for a while so long as I know about it and can plan for it. It's just a matter of communication.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Nominating for next year's Pulitzers

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't try cases, but I used to work for a couple judges and I've done jury duty twice, and I've seen many prospective jurors volunteer how terrible they are as people to try and get out of being put on the jury. The judges in New York are so tired of this that volunteering that you are a racist will only get you mocked by the bench followed by an extra helping of voir dire.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
A lawyer who is a notary adds a very small amount of value when someone needs to turn a notarized document quickly and a secretary is not available. That's about it. But the cost to becoming licensed is low so whatever.

Unless you are the world's most charismatic person notarizing someone's legal documents is not a networking opportunity.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Any other tips for OCI callbacks? I have a few this week. Was planning on spending time researching the firms more, looking at their news/blog etc. Beyond that I can't think of much. I think they are series of 30 min interviews so it's not like you can get super in depth.

Now that I am the one doing the interviews, I am impressed by people who can articulate why they want to join my firm--rather than any firm that gave them a callback--and why. That requires a certain knowledge of the market that goes well beyond "read firm's website." Also the website probably is not helpful anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I sat on a jury where the prosecutor had the defendant show the jury his grills. They were visible on a video in evidence and the defendant impossibly wore them to the trial. The public defender should have been disbarred for incompetence.