Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I'm taking the July Bar Exam.

Should I complain here, or start up a new thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I'll try this again.

Taking the Bar this summer, should I complain here, or start up a new thread?

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

Please complain here!

Nothing like taking the Bar Prep. classes to make you realize you don't know a lot about the law; or rather you did at one point, but you forgot most of it after the exam for the course. And holy hell is there a lot of ground to cover between now and July.

Frankly, it's not that bad right now. It's kind of interesting, but also kind of boring at times. I'm waiting for the hollowing in about another few weeks.

Oh, and fyi you're not allowed to pee during some State Bars.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Bar Prep. Day Two

Christ, Property still sucks.

Though I was surprised by the pervasiveness of bad or inept professors who only teach *their* niche area of a discipline.

Although my Contracts professor was apparently much more badass than I gave him credit for at the time.

Bring a jacket into Bar Prep, hell just pack anything you think you might need from ear-plugs to caffeine pills to dirty looks to shoot at the assholes who talk or get up before you're finished on the practice MBE questions.

Kumo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 19, 2010

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Sanhedrin posted:

the All Things Considered group interview with GULC 3Ls about the job market

I heard it in my car on Friday, and I had to roll down the windows to let out the choking waves of entitlement and self-pity.

Studying for a practice MBE test tomorrow. This isn't law, it's algebra.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

SWATJester posted:

Lawyer, or Attorney?

I did a paid Mock Jury recently, and someone asked just that; i.e. what the difference between an attorney and a lawyer is.

The attorney in the room asked him if it was a joke.

My inner law nerd tittered.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Recently passed the Bar and no jobs in Austin. :( I went to court this week for a volunteering thing I have and it's an object lesson in "Hell, I could do that." So I've been thinking about hanging out the shingle. I know a few attorneys in my class who took this route and most seem to be doing pretty well (although, if you're not it's not like you're likely to advertise).

Anybody here take this route and if so, what is it like and what do you have to watch out for?

Been trying to write up a Business Plan, per what the SBA site says. At least that's where I'm at now, so this is kind of in the early stages; however it seems more viable than waiting for someone to glance at my resume.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I can't help but find it remarkable that our profession, which had a hallmark of arrogance for such a long time, is so far from that now. I commiserate. Someone in the legal field told me recently that everyone is hurting, as a kind of consolation.

In any event, generally speaking what are your options with a law degree or as an attorney these days?

1. Through luck, work, school, or contacts having a job as an attorney.
2. Working as a paralegal or in some way in the legal field (I've heard it happens, but can't say for certain anyone I know is working in this capacity).
3. Unemployed and vainly holding out hope for the law job.
4. Volunteering and looking for the law job.
5. Working in a non-legal job and looking.
6. Military/JAG/Peace Corps/etc.
7. Hanging out a shingle.
8. Relying on mom & dad/spouse/etc. and moving back in to cultivate WoW and alcohol addictions.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

_areaman posted:

"Find a job you like to do and you'll never work a day in your life".

:( That's why I went to law school in the first place. Even after everything I still love the law.

I remembered this last Friday when I was at the Criminal Courthouse watching the State awkwardly try to present a case against a pro se defendant and lose; all the while ticking off objections in my head and still a bit surprised as to what actually passes for legal practice in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

prussian advisor posted:

I don't understand this. The guy tried to hire the PD with his own money, and while I'm not a PD that seems like it'd be a pretty strong endorsement of his skills and pretty flattering. Why would he swap the case with someone else? How's that embarrassing to anyone? Seems like it would just be a pretty funny and interesting coincidence.

Perhaps it is because the client didn't have enough money.