Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Ainsley McTree posted:

Starbucks hasn't responded to my application yet :(

I dont want to get you down, but I'm looking for a summer job and saw your post so I applied online and I heard back already, and I live in China :(

Also I should be Northwestern 0L in the OP, assuming the NYU letter that arrives tomorrow is slim and light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Ainsley McTree posted:

:( :( :(

perhaps when I applied to be a barista I aimed too high...

Well, keep trying! Tons of cafe jobs out there. There are other places to work, and I have previous barista work experience at Borders and my school cafe, so I am fairly well referenced in making coffee. Sad as that is.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
OK, so NYU finally got back to me (the first letter got lost in the mail, apparently). I have been waitlisted!

I know typical waitlist whatever is LOCI and extra recommendations - my issue is, I have already sent a LOCI and an extra recommendation. Would it be bad form to find even more recs and write even more LOCIs? Is there anything else I can do to claw my way in?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Incredulous Red posted:

Everybody has at least heard of some person who got off the waitlist that late, but it's pretty rare. You have to start making arrangements to live in a given city, etc., and eventually, even if you do get in, you have to break a lease or find a sublettor, move (again?) - the whole process just sucks.

It does, but NYU is my dream school and is close to home so changing the real life aspects, even last minute, wouldn't be that hard. It's rare and hard and considering the economic climate I figure not many people will be dropping out and opening up spots but I am willing to hope:gbsmith:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
if we don't drink is that an issue for aforementioned social events? Could I pass by sitting around and holding a drink?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Linguica posted:

Why the gently caress am I even taking the New Jersey bar exam? Their horrible poo poo website which literally has Geocities "under construction" animated gifs basically hid the laptop registration program information and it's already closed so now I have to handwrite an exam in an open sewer of a state I don't care about. Shoulda listened to Adar

Hrm... Do you have Internet Explorer 4? If not, the website says you may not be able to view it correctly. That or Netscape 5.

Netscape.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Question for any current/former Northwestern students - I'm looking at housing right now, and I have found some apartments in Grammarcy and Onterie. Any reviews on what living there's like? Price is important to me but Onterie has potentially enough freebies for being at Northwestern that it might equalize it.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Oh, no, quote the whole quote from him.

Calderon posted:

"Certainly for the professions that tend to have a significant financial reward on the back end, we believe that students can pay a higher rate—whatever the market will allow for professional and graduate school," Calderón said. "Then, if they have debt, they can retire that."

Employment statistics are not taken into serious consideration, Calderón adds, because his board is not supplied with raw data.

"Perhaps we should," he says. "But the question is, where do we get it and can we trust who's giving it to us?"

:suicide:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Anyone else starting at Northwestern? Just moved to the area and have nothing to do for a week, if anyone wants to hang out. PM me or hoogilyboogily at gmail dot com, peace out yo

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So, second day of orientation and I believe I've been told about 10 times in each activity that I will be learning to Think Like A Lawyer! I must admit, I'm a little bit nervous about the complete paradigm shift that's about to occur, but at least I know my $200,000 isn't going down the drain!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Thanks for the somewhat serious post I guess.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm interested in the legal field but with a view to working in the political arena. I'm not looking to actually be a politician though and I think a JD would be important for working policy. I'm mostly interested in Middle Eastern stuff which is why I talked about the focus. Besides there are plenty of folks currently in the political arena who have JD's.

It seems like you pretty much vindicated what I said there so I am definitely going to consider the UArk one. I'd be interested in hearing from the other guy who mentioned his Islamic course too.

I am kinda worried about the job market which is why I think it's important not to be totally resolved on being a lawyer. I figured if it came up I could do it but if it didn't work out then at least a JD would be handy in other fields. It's also one of the reasons I think it's more important to specialize in something that isn't just law. I also took a look at this and it seems to bear out that specialization is important. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools

Like I said a little bit ago, I don't really care about going to Harvard so I'm not really that bothered if my LSATs seem a little low relatively. That's why I'm looking for help here even though at the end of the day though, everyone still just has a JD so I'm not sure why you guys are so elitist about where they come from.

There are degrees in policy, you know, they are called "Masters of Public Policy", it's right there in the title.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BigHead posted:

Both of mine were truly and utterly soul-crushed bald fat men. Which, if you're into horribly soul-crushed bald fat men, then my school's world is your oyster. But alas the bald fat men have since moved on :( .

By soul-crushed, I mean far beyond anything you can imagine. Our Lexis guy dragged his children into our training sessions and would go apeshit if they misbehaved, and you could tell he was just so, utterly, completely, lonely. His eyes were just so desolate and unhappy.

Our westlaw guy was just normal fat and bald I guess, which is still fairly soul-crushing.

We didn't even get people, they just passed out passwords and flash drives in my legal writing class.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

billion dollar bitch posted:

In which paradise do law students have their own gym?

Northwestern has a private gym that we've basically taken over because we have discounted memberships.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So my crim TA's apparently really good at handjobs.
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/northwestern-law-student-emails-hand-job-offer-to-entire-law-school/

I don't normally go to her office hours, but I might make an exception this week

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

If this will make people considering law school consider again:

I'm a special snowflake who did well on the LSAT and got a full scholarship at a top 14 school (Northwestern), which is deferred until Fall 2011, and I'm seriously considering not going. We'll see in about a year. I'd say right now there's a 50% chance that I'll either defer for another year, which they just told me I can do, or just not go.

Not to mislead people as to the true horror of law, but I'm a 1L here and loving it. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

GregNorc posted:

Accounting schools use LSAT?

I remember the last time you attempted to convince the thread you wanted to go to law school.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Petey posted:

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/10/20/joe_miller_employment/index.html

joe miller is literally remedial minus the dick pics and foreclosure scheme

Good thing the Tea Party is standing up to the Washington Elites with candidates who went to real American no-name schools, instead of those fancy elite east coast schools

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Is it unhealthy to develop an immediate allegiance to Westlaw over Lexis, or should I be more open minded?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

blar posted:

I'm working full-time at a civil litigation firm next semester and if that doesn't pan out then I have a guaranteed job in immigration. Employment with a big/mid-size firm has not been available to me since I struck out in 2L OCI. In fact, taking a 4 credit BA course would only limit the amount of hours I could work getting hands-on experience. At this point, real experience as well as time spent networking is far more beneficial than raising my hand in BA.

Immigration is the only field I've experienced where employers actually care if you completed any relevant course work. Everyone else simply focuses on GPA or class rank. I mean if your resume or cover letter can't overcome the stench of laziness on your transcripts then I don't know what to tell you. I know outside of immigration I've never had to list my coursework as the highlights of my resume skill-set.

Would you mind if I sent you some questions? I'm a 1L interested in getting into immigration law and was wondering a few things about the field.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

quote:

JUSTICE
SOTOMAYOR: Would a video game that portrayed a Vulcan as opposed to a human being, being maimed and tortured, would that be covered by the act?
MR. MORAZZINI: No, it wouldn't, Your Honor, because the act is only directed towards the range of options that are able to be inflicted on a human being.

I'm tired of the anti-Vulcan judicial activism on this court

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20101104/NEWS/101109939/1078&ParentProfile=1062

Found this on GBS! Just wanted to give a shout out to all the prosecutors in the thread, you do this country proud. :patriot:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Warszawa posted:

I'm a URM at Yale and everyone (profs, students, etc.) here says "If you want to do international human rights law you need to either not overspecialize your class selection so you look prepared to do other stuff or you better be prepared to be working on the defendants' side of international human rights law."

Yeah, here at Northwestern we do a IHR conference every year, and I'm helping prepare a brief on some of the Yugoslavia court things - so for some context here, that means being the defense attorney for people on trial for (in my cases) locking up about 100 people in a house, setting it on fire and shooting people trying to escape; regularly lining up 10 - 15 along a river and shooting them into it; and just generally good touchy-feely stuff.

So some context about what human rights defense work entails.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Soothing Vapors posted:

My prelaw advisor has invited me back to my undergrad to give a talk to his prelaw dumbs about law school and the law school experience. I have 15 minutes plus a guided question/answer session to fill.

I am considering silently taking the podium, and then wordlessly dousing myself in kerosene and setting myself ablaze. As my skin peels away and the fat of my body renders away from my now-useless meat, I will marshal the strength for one final scream of "DON'T loving GO YOU RETARDS"

(seriously what can I really tell these kids other than DONT GO YOU loving RETARDS? the LSAT average at my school is like 151, all these kids are going to end up at Cooley, with no scholly. I think my advisor is expecting a "gosh law school sure is grand" speech, but I don't have it in me. he's a nice guy and I hate to disappoint him but I will not send more skulls to the skull throne)

I think just be completely honest about it. Approach it from a strategic perspective, people coming to the meeting want to go to law school so just lay out the facts so they can figure it out for themselves. No one appreciates being told they're wrong, no matter how wrong they happen to be, so just talk about what kinds of jobs you can get from the lower tier vs the upper tier schools.

The biggest thing people need to lose is the idea that all lawyers start with 6 figure jobs - once they realize that, like all professions, there's a huge range of salaries, they can better figure out their own odds and what kinds of options are available for them. Lay out the facts and answer questions - I don't think your prelaw adviser would want anything more from you.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

CaptainScraps posted:

P.S. Dallas is notorious ... for ... being dicks

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So here at Northwestern we just finished/are finishing our primary research memo assignment for our writing/research courses. I found much of the process kind of... we got about 3-4 times as much time as we really needed to finish the memo, so I really am left with no idea of how much time it really takes to write a real memo.

How much time does it take to write a real memo? For reference this one ended up around 15 pages.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BigHead posted:

It obviously depends on the subject matter and how long you've been doing legal writing, what kind of writer you are, and how familiar you are with the subject. Are we talking after the research and factual gathering has been done? Or starting from scratch? As a 1L or a law clerk? As you get more experienced, it shouldn't take more than a day to whip out a 15 page memo if you know the subject well enough.

This was after research was done, I'm a 1L and it took me about a 9-5 day with breaks for breakfast and lunch - it's entirely possible that I worked quickly with lovely quality, though, so eh. It's weird, I don't dislike the actual process, it just takes valuable starcraft time so it bothers me.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Applying for summer jobs hooray hooray. Anyone done a judicial internship/externship? Deal or no deal? Our career center is really pushing applying to them, and it sounds nice but so is anything they ever talk about. Is it anything like clerking, either in terms of the work or the prestige?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Abugadu posted:

It's usually exactly like clerking, except you don't get paid, you usually don't get as good of references out of it, and employers never really seem impressed about it other than 'at least you didn't sit on your rear end'. OTOH, I did get one callback strictly because of an internship with a judge, as I happened to write the opinion on a case my interviewer had partly handled.

When you say employers aren't that impressed by it, do you mean overall or in comparison to specific jobs? So, a firm would be impressed by a summer firm position but not this, or are most summer jobs not particularly impressive on employers? I'm interested mostly on the practical side of things, as it seems like I'd learn a lot, but if it's gonna harm my career chances (rather than like a neutral effect) then I'm gonna be a bit more hesitant.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Just found out I got into Columbia for the Fall. I know everyone's saying there are no jobs and I'm going to die alone, but what you guys don't realize is that I'm planning on doing international law. I'm going to save the world.

Get in line buddy. Not only am I going to save the world I am literally getting an LLM in International Human Rights

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/llm/llm_ihr.html

(I am not really but I have friends here who are and I would be lying if I said I hadn't considered it, Secret Asian Man can confirm)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

poofactory posted:

Immigration. Though most people here would classify it as shitlaw.

You hiring summers :D :D :D

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So should we be focusing on applying to jobs or focusing on studying for exams? I only applied to a few come December and have put off summer employment things (as a 1L) until after Thursday when I'm all done... Did I do A Bad Thing? Am I screwed?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Sbull posted:

Yea, man, those public interest people are poo poo! Right on!

We are tho don't doubt the man. Like I have worked in NGOs and foreign countries and in the UN and I am pretty sure I ahve about as much a shot as anyone else for panda jobs.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Yeah, they have a GPA out of like 195 points and everyone gets in a certain tight range of points? Vaguely explained to me by a friend who's a 1L there. But it's probably not as relevant for them, as I assume their reputation makes up for the uncertainty, unlike us scrubs on the north side of the river :argh:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Northwestern University School of Law is a lovely place full of lovely, nice people. How could you go wrong with garish purple colors splashed onto every available surface? And nothing makes you feel better about yourself than realizing that not only does U Chicago make any other law school in the area seem full of cool, normal, social people, but people in Chicago have no idea that UChicago's a good school, never mind the better of the two. People are noncompetitive and chill, professors are friendly and approachable, and at least it's not U Chicago.

Chicago itself is I think dependent on your background. My city experiences are New York, LA, Beijing, Cairo, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong so to me Chicago is a quaint little city with a nice lake next to it and not enough people to justify the use of space. They also don't know how to make real pizza that tastes halfway decent or what soda is called (hint: doesn't rhyme with stop, as in STOP CALLING IT POP). If you go to the wrong part of the city you will be shot by gangs and if you go to the right part of the city, well, congrats, that's where Northwestern is anyways! All kidding aside Chicago is a nice town with a good amount of decent food and entertainment, and thanks to the Upass all public transportation is free if you're a grad student there.

Oh and Chicago is indeed cold but it's nothing atrocious. People from here like to talk about how awful it is, though.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

Plus the law school and the med school have their own campus and from what I hear, the students of both schools interact reasonably often, so you've got a shot at latching onto a doctor.

This is true! I play in an intramural soccer league that has people from both schools, and there was recently a speed dating mixer for med and law school people! Come to Northwestern, where we put potential mates with solid, stable careers right at your doorstep!

If you can't tell from my exclamation points I actually really do like my school, it's a good place with good people. And purple.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BigHead posted:

In other news, the ABA has accredited six new law schools, where tuition will average $35,000 per year. The average LSAT score accepted amongst these new law schools will be 145.

California also proudly announced that the prestigious Southern California Blind Baptist College for Amputees Law School will be opening. It's the top Regionally Non-Accredited blind-only law school!

These are jokes right

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Sooo I got middle to below average grades this semester, I should drop out of my t14 and work at Starbucks, correct?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Sulecrist posted:

What T-14, out of curiosity? Are you that UVA guy that was asking about housing six months ago?

Northwestern - you're coming here, right? Or might be? Or was that someone else.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Defleshed posted:

I wonder if Taibbi will be subjecting himself to the court. He's one of the most loudmouth assholes in print.

Don't treat it like a law firm interview. That legal robot poo poo is not really wanted in the Army. He or she does not care about how awesome you were when you burned your professor on a point of law in Torts or how many notes you did for Law Review. They're looking for human beings they would enjoy working with and being around all the time (since you're all around each other all the time). Dress professionally, but be relaxed.

If you have no military experience, don't talk about how you had an uncle in Vietnam that inspired you, FSO's can see through that bullshit a mile away. Focus on your strengths as an attorney and a person, and how you think you can use those to contribute to the mission. It helps to have shown an interest early on in military legal work (e.g. a paper on UCMJ aspects of a legal point for a class or something... I did a poo poo-ton of these) but don't stress if you didn't. Just bring a couple examples of your best work to show. Bring a few copies of your resume of course. Be prepared with a good answer not only "why the military?" but specifically "why the Army?".

Mine was a bit different because as a former military guy it just turned into one big bullshit session with the FSO and he ended up ranking me #1 on his list of people he talked to that semester. But I give you these tips based on what he has told me (he and I have since become e-buddies).

Hey, defleshed, I have a friend who's applying for a 1L summer position with JAG - she's kinda worried about how selective it is but is going to go ahead and take her best shot. Any advice on how she should approach the interview, other than what you said here? Do they tend to emphasize GPA for the 1L summer or are there other things they focus on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

my dark angels army right now is just two terminator squads and belial because belial lets you play terminators as troops

Support Are Troops

Deathwing are but a shade of their former glory atm... See I did it backwards, I have about 10-11k Dark Angels that I collected BEFORE I went to law school, worked throughout middle school/high school to afford it, but now no one in my class here plays :(

But good choice. Dark Angels are stoic and mysterious...much like those that dare to partake in the legal profession... I'm also glad you're already familiar with the inspiration for the name/primarch! Be sure to include discussion of repressed homosexuality into any 40k game you play.