Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

I applied to a paralegal job asking for 5 years experience at the company that my dad used to work for (and was general counsel for and he submitted my resume to). I was thinking I might actually hear back that I wasn't qualified enough because it required so many years of experience and I only have like 2 years of actual paralegal experience.

Wrong. The person thought it "wouldn't be challenging enough" for me and that "the payscale wouldn't be good enough for me." And my dad said he couldn't disagree (thanks Dad). The job paid about $60k to start and since if I'm honest, I have no real interest in being a lawyer, would have been perfect for me. I can't figure out what kind of job my dad thinks I'll magically get.

There comes a time, in every woman's life, when she must rise up and curbstomp the gently caress out of her dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

evilweasel posted:

stealing money in eve is legit, though the circumstances were hilariously pathetic (pay my rent!)

swindling broke people losing their houses out of $2,500 though, that's just awful

But dude even the ABA thinks the rule is overbroad! I mean if anyone out there is going to crack down on scams in the legal industry, its the ABA!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
MacDonald decision out also.

Number of people I know surprised by it: 0

I was wondering if they would go so far as to incorporate the Second Amendment. But I guess I have my answer. As a denizen of Chicago I can honestly say I'm not terribly disturbed by this ruling. Everyone who wanted a gun to do bad things could certainly still get one prior to this ruling.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 28, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

Last week I broke up with my boyfriend and moved back home this past Saturday.

All that studying for the MO Bar... :negative:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Roger_Mudd posted:

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong.

The sad part is that this kid was actually getting interviews. I don't even get a chance to gently caress poo poo up this badly!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Doibhilin posted:

Is anyone else having really lovely experiences with the Bar/Bri graded essays? I realize they grade harshly, but I keep bombing essays when I have a decent knowledge of the law. My raw score on their simulated MBE was like 50 points higher than their average, but my essays are consistently below average.

In my latest graded essay, I got points off for saying that the issue was whether a "covenant not to compete" was enforceable, rather than a "restrictive covenant not to compete." Really? The word "restrictive" is that important? Please tell me the bar examiners aren't that picky. And if not, why the gently caress does Bar/Bri have to stress me out like that?

I just realized that the grader didn't even add up the score correctly. Fractions are hard!

I'll tell you what I keep telling all my friends, and the same advice I didn't listen to when I was studying for that bar: relax. You're going to do fine. No, the bar examiners are not that picky. You do realize that people who need a sticky note to remind them to breathe if they have to talk and walk at the same time also pass the bar right?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

methamphetamine posted:

I love how so many people is this thread think it's nerdy and lame to work hard and get good grades but then whine 24/7 about no jobs.

Or there are all those people who worked hard and got really good grades and still didn't get jobs.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

I suspect that some of these steps are more complicated to execute than you're making them out to be

4, 5, and 6 spring to mind immediately.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

What was your background before that?

Magic 8-Ball says white upper middle class from a college educated and in-tact family, but Magic 8-Ball is so cynical these days...

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

poofactory posted:

I am mentoring one recent law grad and she opened up a practice just after graduating with less than $50k in the bank.

Oh no poo poo, well gently caress I have that just laying around in piles on my kitchen counter brb starting a law practice

looks like Magic 8-Ball was right after all

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't give a poo poo about anyone's opinion if you were still playing with GI Joes when Tupac got killt

I was 19, so I guess I was playing w/titties and/or the awesome beeper I had back then..

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Phil Moscowitz posted:

how did anyone fall for that poo poo, my firm gets like twenty of those a week

at $240K per person that falls for it, I guess you only need ~1 sucker per year to live the good life.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

made of paper posted:

I've been working in a copy room for a law firm for about a year and have been offered a paralegal position by HR. I am a bit weary about accepting it as I don't want to be shown up as out of my depth. I have an education up to decent A-levels but didn't go to uni and by the looks of this thread goons are a bit disparaging about law schools/degrees. Is on the job learning a bit less soul destroying and does anyone know what my career prospects would be like if I do take this path?

Obviously I've asked people I work with but I would like to hear from some outside experiences.

Go for it dude, being a paralegal is generally a lot less soul destroying than being a lawyer. Most of the paralegals I know work 9-5, are compensated well, and are never in on Saturdays/Sundays/Holidays.

Plus the firm is offering you this job without you having to pay for any bullshit training to actually get certified? I sounds like an opportunity to me. All the gripes in this thread apply specifically to attorneys. Paralegals live a different life.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

made of paper posted:

Yeah I'm English. Does the culture really vary that much between countries?

Ahhh, my advice was for Chicago area firms. Apparently New York is different and I don't have any idea what British firm culture is like. Take my advice with a grain of salt, then.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I approach it from the fact that the only people who care if I download their song instead of pay for it are people who don't need any more money so gently caress them.

And I whole-heartedly support the breaking of laws en-masse if enough people disagree with them.

I guess that makes me a terrible lawyer but then again I'm not a loving lawyer anyway because I don't have a job so who gives a loving poo poo!

e: VVV I think possession of marijuana is this generation's possession of marijuana

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 21, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I was playing World of Warcraft last night (it is an awesome fantasy world where I actually have some money ok) and someone was talking about Carbolic Smoke Balls in trade chat.

I asked, and the guy is a 2L at "Drake"... I thought I had heard of every law school but they keep making more

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TyChan posted:

I don't think I'm creating a "straw man" here and I think you're making way more than you should out of my casual statement.

Haha as soon as I read what he wrote I knew someone would quote me from the last page.

I download for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I can. I have a voracious appetite for music that I couldn't legally satiate even if I made 5x my current salary. A lot of times I download something, listen to it, find out it sucks poo poo and never listen to it again ... 15 bucks saved :smugdog:

It's not like artists get no money from me. I always go see acts I like when they're in town. I've been known to buy a CD if really desperate. In the days before downloading I bought many because that was all you could do. I have a library of 1,000+ CD's I bought legally. I have a drawer full of concert tshirts I never wear.

I have a loathing for people who solely exist (and get rich) by being a middleman. My wife is friends with an "insurance broker". She owns her own business wherein she simply serves as go-between for small business owners/the self-insured and the insurance companies. Her "workday" as far as I can tell, involves making about 3 phone calls in between running personal errands all day. And this woman is wealthy from this business. Why is that?

Similarly I don't like the fact that empty suits became ridiculously wealthy doing nothing but "marketing" music.

The fact that it makes worthless people whine that they can no longer get rich is not the reason I download, but it is a nice side benefit.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TyChan posted:

Well, you are proving me right in that there is a lot of music you are downloading because you don't feel like (or can't) pay for it. I probably should have been more nuanced, but basically I was pointing out that that many people downloading music through free, illegal channels are downloading it because they simply don't want to pay for it and don't want to go without it.

And at the same time, I don't think you're saying that what you are doing is legal either, correct?

I wasn't trying to prove you wrong, just explaining my position a bit further. And no obviously it is not legal to download for free otherwise we (you) wouldn't be having this discussion and scaring Phil back to LF.

I mainly am just a big fan of doing things that gently caress over people with lots of money because I've basically come to terms with the fact that barring a lottery win I will never have lots of money. Maybe someday I will get rich and on that day I will start to care about things like copyright infringement and tax brackets and market crashes.

Maybe that's juvenile but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard that word used to describe me.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 21, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
My meager salary combined with my wife's equally meager salary allows us to scrape along, occasionally take a vacation, and have cable. My kids can play sports, and we have a car.

Life is good.

Thank gently caress for IBR

In other news, my wife's boss wants me to file a trademark application for her. I have a client agreement and I have some malpractice insurance. Guess I'm gonna do it. From what I can tell it amounts to nothing more than gathering some information from her and then filing the paperwork.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 28, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

my grandmother took a bad fall in a nationwide department store in jersey. my uncle is only licensed to practice in new york.

could they bring suit in new york, under the personal jurisdiction argument that said department store has minimum contacts with new york? this is my understanding, based on the 0L prep-work that I have been doing.

I don't know NY's jurisdiction laws without looking them up, but almost every state finds a way to allow residents to sue in state court.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
The trolling really is masterful but I can't help but have a little part of me wish it were all true. Anyone who is on Xanax and SSRIs because mommy didn't love him while he played guitar is going to have spectacular problems dealing with the actual stresses of law school and the eventual flame-out would be glorious.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
If my wife and I started making $120K a year tomorrow, it would literally solve every problem we're dealing with right now and I would be loving singing in the streets. It sure would be nice to be putting away some money, have more than one car, and be able to eat out more than once a month.

I plan to help our kids where and when we can, but I will not be outright paying for their education, even if I were financially capable of doing so. In my experience that does nothing but create spoiled pieces of poo poo, and quite frankly I've learned the hard way that an advanced education isn't even something that is necessary to live a fulfilling life.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
TWO TROLLS ENTER ONE TROLL LEAVES

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Petey posted:

I've been listening to iTunesU lectures to pass the time on long drives for work. But the gunners make it almost unbearable.

You know normal people would just listen to some music or something

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

hearing people talk about law... I'm so not into it at all.

You can come help me open my bait shop in rural New England if you want

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

joat mon posted:

It's not the weak chin or the bad suit or the obesity that makes him look like a slob.

Although those certainly go a long way!

I support physical fitness requirements as a licensing prerequisite.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Daico posted:

I would also like to express my basic antipathy to the gentleman that initiated this line of discussion.

Normally, we would just say "gently caress you _________"

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Adar posted:

All through law school up until around two years ago, my recurring dream was that I got my LS diploma but it wouldn't be valid unless 22-28 year old me went back to senior year physics.

I'm 32 loving years old and I still have this exact dream (although it's usually my entire senior year of high school I need to retake) like once a month. The reason differs from dream to dream but the end result is always me sitting in something like Trigonometry going FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm not sure why as high school was never stressful for me, nor was college or law school other than the time investment. Maybe my subconscious was secretly freaking the gently caress out the whole time while I was outwardly :cool: but I don't think so...

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 4, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

Tell them your daughter died last week and she went to the school and you are here for the funeral, and your firm thought it would be "good for you" to do the interviews to take your mind off things. Then start to cry. Then have the poor girl in the interview awkwardly comfort you and then don't even give her a callback.

That was my most memorable and traumatic OCI interview anyway.

Are you loving serious? That is lack of empathy to a criminal level. I may be broke and alone but I can't believe at some point I thought I actually wanted to work at a law firm.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
http://consumerist.com/2010/08/for-profit-colleges-caught-on-video-encouraging-financial-aid-fraud.html

Somebody please start sending these investigators to law schools.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

SWATJester posted:

At my school I think the median age was around 25 for 1Ls. Maybe 26.

I'm inclined to think "median age for 1L's" is probably a lot lower (23ish) at T14 schools since those are the schools which tend to be filled with all the uber-achievers that go HS-->Undergrad-->Law School, with no break for work or experience inbetween.

I would say the median age of 1L's at my law school was closer to 30 than to 20, owing most likely to the availability of an evening program and obviously more lax admission standards.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Goons rejecting perfectly OK jobs ITT

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

Soooo... I got an offer at one of the firms I interviewed at last month!

Everyone have a drink for me. Only took one and a half years.

Congratulations, but what about your new-found (and well deserved) hatred of the practice of (firm) law?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

Next thing you know I'll find a job

Let's not get crazy here man...

HooKars posted:

I'm already dreading this job, but it's a job, and it pays. It doesn't mean I can't keep applying for admin and other similar jobs. Maybe if I'm employed they'll actually take my "I want a career change" seriously.

Well in any case, I am stoked for you and I hope things work out.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Lykourgos posted:

This is my last weekend before work, gonna see if I can find a place that serves a proper breakfast, the kind that doesn't involve burnt american bacon

You're in Chicago, right?

http://www.theglobepub.com/

Also fun as hell to have a few pints there and watch football. You'll find quite a few other expats there if you go at a busy time.

You can thank me later, goon sir.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

Fortunately I figured out that I was too dumb for calculus within one class

I took it twice. Twice. The only two C's on my entire undergrad transcript.

One of the problems was that my Algebra was rusty (I was in the military for four years before I set foot in college, shooting dudes requires no higher math) and our prof just assumed that you could do complex Algebra to the point of skipping it all when doing examples on the board.

After doing poorly in it twice and a few failed attempts to understand Inorganic Chemistry, I decided to drop out of pre-med altogether and take classes I enjoyed... saddling me with my worthless BA in History with a minor in Spanish. But if you want to talk about ancient Mayan culture man I can bullshit with you all day while we stand in line at the soup kitchen.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

BigHead posted:

ABA is for-profit, AMA isn't. Also the actual cost of legal education is dirt cheap - you just need a few books in your library (all donated), a few professors, and some real estate. Law schools are a HUGE money maker for otherwise cash strapped universities. Med schools need to buy cadavers, MRI machines, scalpels/bandages, do clinics for poor people, etc etc etc.

Plus the AMA is in charge of a profession with actual skill, the ABA can suck dues out of anyone dumb enough to become a member.

The ABA is actually a non-profit, it's just operated like a (terrible) business.

The truth of the matter is that the AMA has actually done quite a bit to protect the Medical profession, despite not everyone in the field agreeing with their approach. Working to limit the amount of doctors in the country via stringent medical school limitations has done quite a bit to not only insure that Americans are served by people who really really really want to be doctors and are therefore very good at what they do, but has also protected the profession by ensuring that the stringent requirements to become a doctor create a relative scarcity which ensures a decent standard of living for those who make the cut.

The ABA... sells overpriced books, dabbles in political battles it has no business in, and accredits any law school that can fill out an application. It's a shame that we don't have a national organization truly interested in protecting the profession.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm staring a union, who's in?

The Wobblies are back (and headquartered in Chicago!)...

http://www.iww.org/

The problem is too many of us (well to many of you anyway) are considered the oppressor.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I used to like Maker's Mark, but I've been told by the few people left who care about me that it makes me mean so I switched to basically any dark rum I can find but it's not whisking me away to an island paradise as promised...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I think we should take all the drinking quotes where we're being "funny and ironic" and add them to the OP

Also, what the gently caress is this forum cancer thing

e: VVVV gently caress that. LF is a wasteland of bad/boring posting and pseudo-intellectual circle-jerking. D&D is alright but LF is about as related to that as YCS is to Games.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 19, 2010