Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect
Mookie probably knows a lot more re: number of clerks per judge, but I believe COA judges get 4 clerks, district court judges get 3 positions they can fill, though usually they will have 2 clerks and 1 office secretary doing administrative poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Holland Oats posted:

If the police set up an account on careerbuilder and used it to bust scammers, would that be considered entrapment?

no

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

SWATJester posted:

I skipped listening to the MD bar guy for contracts talk about necrophilia again. He's a huge perv. It's awesome.

Was this Epstein from SMU? We just had him for 3 days here.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I self-studied but I used the barbri books and lecture handouts and I seem to remember Epstein's being pretty funny. Or maybe I was just delirious and wanted to laugh at something, anything

Yeah, they were legitimately funny, like Conviser wanting to buy his leathers from S&M Leathers, or wanting to dance at a nude strip club.

Also several Kinky Friedman hypotheticals

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

FREE RINGTONEZ posted:

I went to a T14 and landed a job through OCI.

I really like my job right now. I'm doing interesting, substantive work and people treat me with respect. There were a few rough patches early on, during which I drank scotch alone in my underwear every night(think opening scene of Apocalypse Now). But right now I'm surprised how well things are going. I work a fair bit (on track for over 2,000 hours) but it's not a big deal because the hours are predictable.

Nobody asked for job advice, but I'm feeling magnanimous.

No matter how numbing your assignment is, remember to think like a partner -- own the case. If I'm doing doc review I'll not only be fast and thorough, but I'll think about what we're looking for and suggest, or carry out, better ways to find the "hot" docs. I found some key documents by getting creative with search terms and it made a big impression. Everything I do, I try to think about how it ties into our objectives and how I can make everyone's life easier. This approach has served me well so far.

Keep the partner from worrying about you. She must feel confident that every assignment she gives you is in good hands. The sooner she feels this way, the more quickly you advance. I consider myself a pretty bad writer, so I make sure to double or triple check my e-mails, and I quintuple check my memos. I know a 6th year in our office who was recently told by a partner that his writing can't be trusted. I can hardly imagine a more horrible thing for a partner to say to a 6th year lit associate. Don't let it happen to you.

Oh, and I snort the coke off the butt.

How many billable hours are you averaging per month?

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Petey posted:

:smith:

sorry man, that's awful

you dont understand man theres this one hot half asian girl who wants him and he actually does have a paying 2L summer job in BIGFEDGOV, so basically he's disproving every tenet of "dont go no jobs die alone"

in conclusion, everybody goto law school!!!

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

Doctor's are like lawyers but when they gently caress up someone dies. Their profession stopped being noble when Pfizer bought it. If I could get away with it I would do entirely medical malpractice simply because the current medical profession deserves to be bankrupted with tort suits.

please just shut up

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

:laffo: gtfo you ugrad child

get studyin or your gonna fail lmao

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

billion dollar bitch posted:

I bid exclusively on DC firms for EIP. This year will be better than last year, right?

this is not gonna end well for u

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

OptimistPrime posted:

The other thing is to remember that things change. Now that poo poo has hit the fan and is slowly pulling back together, it's easier to gauge how a firm will react, but when I chose a place, I did it based on their perceived "humanity" and didn't mind that their prestige was confined to one region.

Now I'm laid off in a slow market, and the only firm on my resume has a name most coastal people can't pronounce, let alone recognize.

faegre and benson?

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Daico posted:

Yeah, you're right, I guess there is less douche-y coastal elitism making GBS threads things up.

but more lovely texas making GBS threads things up

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

JudicialRestraints posted:

Gunners spotted

here's one

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

This post works well because it looks like your avatar is looking at him

your gay!

Also, to be on topic for once, the bar is one week from tomorrow!

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

gotta say I enjoyed rolling into a social security appeal with another summer and an actual associate, in suits and with reams of documents for cases that people usually don't have any sort of lawyer to help them with

Are hours that bad that your firm is triple-billing for one pro bono client?

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

Day 3, or maybe 4, of intense bar studying; time has become a blur. Get out of bed and start studying, don't stop until 8pm. Boring poo poo. the horror. have managed to escape for a few minutes; send he;lp

What kind of man can't handle three loving days of bar study? There is no doubt that you'd have been cast onto the dead baby heap in Sparta. :lol:

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Save me jeebus posted:

At this time, I don't even have the truck, so we're ordering fresh, local, 100% vertically integrated from the corn field to the comal tortillas. Salsa right now include my handmade basic tomato salsa and salsa verde. Still working out the kinks in the hab sauce, El Yucateco is there for now.

Are you for real about the taco truck? There's a massive oversaturation of food trucks in Los Angeles these days.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Linguica posted:

Could it have been Jessie mayhap?? She did have a thing for caffeine pills after all

Or it could be Lisa?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197785,00.html

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

chinchilla posted:

Correction: some chinchillas actually enjoy the blow dryer. Weirdos. It's more the being-held-in-one-spot thing that bothers them.

lovin dis

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

Thanks for the help Mookie and BigHead.

I have the Chemerinsky Federal Jurisdiction supplement which I have literally never used. Let me know if you're interested in it. $40 bucks shipped?

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Kase Im Licht posted:

Coolest class I took in undergrad was "legal implications of the drug trade." We had lots of interesting guest speakers (class was taught by a federal district court judge). One speaker was a lawyer for a Mexican drug cartel. He never said he was afraid of being killed by the cartel, at least not as long as he continued working for them. He said he tried quitting but they wouldn't let him.

One upside was that he could take vacations in Mexico in areas controlled by his cartel and he was treated like a king. However if he went to other parts of Mexico he'd be killed by rival cartels.

Hey uh, I took that class too.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Oh jesus. I loving love bahn mi. The bread is like crack.

Some places now are selling them with chinese bbq pork inside and somehow it gets even better.

But the best I've ever had cost me a nickel, was a small loaf with a chopped snout in it and some cucumber that cost the equivalent of a buck. And I got ripped off.

Fucke.

It's banh mi you loving heathen.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Lilosh posted:

Would a SCOTUS clerkship be out of the loving question from the top 5%?

You'll get in everywhere you apply!!

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Carooe posted:

Worst thing about the bar exam: reading/posting on xo 40 times a day with other bar-taking aspies

I think you're the only goon I've seen in the last 4 or 5 years of following this thread who has admitted to posting ON autoadmit.

yadayadayada fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 19, 2011

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Anya posted:

I'm sitting here in Panera, listening to a precious recent graduate who is bemoaning the fact that there are no jobs/she might die alone, to her mother. It's quite amusing.

That sounds loving hilarious.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Sulecrist posted:

all you tax guys on the page i have two questions

-is interest on education loans deductible?
-is a massive purchase of property deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense? if so, is your basis $0 whenever you flog it?

As to the first question, student loan interest paid is deductible as long as you don't make over a certain amount of money (~70-80k iirc). If you pay some of your student loans next year with your summer associate money, then you'll be able to deduct any interest paid on those loans. However, once you start working for realsies, then you won't be able to deduct that interest paid (assuming you make $160k).

edit: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch19.html#en_US_2011_publink1000172953

So, basically you can deduct up to $2500 in student loan interest paid, and there's a phaseout from $60-75k, and no deduction at all if you make $75k or above.

yadayadayada fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 2, 2011

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

We're attorneys SV. How hosed up is that? We weren't even law students when we came to this thread, and now we're attorneys?

http://youtu.be/0HDM3eYp4KQ?t=1m15s

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

MoFauxHawk posted:

I bet it's because Justice Thomas saw Linguica's satellite capture of his sleeping during Obama's inauguration. And Justice Roberts doesn't want people seeing his bald spot. So that's what they associate with GPSes.

LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Ersatz posted:

<----- See also K.N. Llewellyn, The Bramble Bush (1930)(comparing the removal of one's eyes and their replacement to the indoctrination that occurs during 1L).

You're missing a space between the parentheticals...

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

I haven't looked at a bluebook in over two years and I knew you were wrong. Don't mess with a law review ALL STAR.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

purpleandgold posted:

I'm considering law school for energy/natural resources law- I have an undergraduate degree in geology, and would really rather be on the legal end of energy than the production end. Any advice for applying/looking at schools? Is it even worth it?

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42635

Go to whatever school and get whatever grades that will get you into one of these law firms.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Entropy238 posted:

Third year law student here, going in to final year. I'm looking for some non-textbook literature that will really push me to my limits in terms of how I think about and approach copyright and IP - hopefully from both sides of the argument - in book length, with particular reference to the digital age and in a European context. I've (probably undeservedly) landed a dream internship/part-time salaried employment in this area and I know that if I really get my poo poo together on this one it's going to kick-start my career faster than loving anything. I need cutting-edge, thought provoking poo poo yesterday if I'm going to be able to capitalize on this opportunity as much as possible. If anyone has any good authors/books/blogs they'd like to recommend it would be much appreciated.

I'm on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Omerta posted:

Can you elaborate? I find it hard to believe there's a big difference in "exit options" from STB/CSM to Cadwalader/Dechert/Cahill/whatever.

Would it shock you that someone working at Google might look a little more impressive than someone working at AOL?