Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
As a liberal arts graduate from a mediocre state school, I feel that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
So I start my Bronx internship on Monday, and am worried about wearing a suit in NYC in the summer. I thought about getting underarmor shirts to wear underneath the button-up; does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

GamingHyena posted:

Just paid off the last of my student loans today :smug:

True story

congratulations.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Azumanga Daioh

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Mookie, do you think your firm is worth it? (as opposed to some other firm in the same practice area - not just law vs. plumbing)

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Query: how can lawyers be low class, when the very act of passing the bar puts you in the highest class of all?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Peaked lapels, side vents, oxfords that you can see yourself in. French cuffs if your sleeves are wide, buttons if they're narrow.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Boalt is pretty bad as a name, but at least there's no "indiana" anywhere in it.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
This was a douchey post. Redacted.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 9, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Dear future Emory Lawgoon concerned about diversity: Sonali Chitre

That is all.

Would you like to clarify this for the rest of us?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

"You got a lot to learn about being a litigator and a lawyer."

"I don't want to be a litigator."

"Good, cause you don't have it in you."

Usually I think these shows are retarded, with arbitrators dressing up and pretending to be judges so they can scold people. But arrogant TTT law students gettin owned? All right by me.

Univeristy of Miami is ranked #60 :colbert:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/items/03038

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I bid exclusively on DC firms for EIP. This year will be better than last year, right?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Today I ate three chicken sandwiches and a double cheeseburger from McDonalds. Delicious.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

evilweasel posted:

the people at columbia who did that last year got hosed

Oh well, too late now. But thanks for the heads up. I'll look at starting my own firm from internet guides now...

Although if I didn't think I was a special and unique butterfly, I wouldn't have applied to law school in the first place.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Okay, according to Columbia records, 24 people accepted offers at DC firms last summer. Given that only 266 people accepted offers in general, I think that's okay - a lot of the DC offices/firms didn't receive more than 20 bids or so. I don't know anyone else applying down in DC, either.

I'm firmly above median, I'm on a journal (not LR but still), I've taken Legislation with Strauss, and I have a pretty good internship. How bad could it be?

Jesus Christ, EvilWeasel, bids are already in. It closed yesterday.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Five guys is the best fast food burger chain, anyways. DC represent.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

evilweasel posted:

The problem with DC is it's the second-best law city, but there's just not that many jobs for people. There's so many more jobs avalible in New York that going pure-DC will be hard because more than 10% of the class will be interested in DC.

However, you've got a great backup plan if you want to be in DC since that's where a lot of the government jobs are, you should be looking at those as well.

Of course I'll be applying to the government jobs as well - OCI isn't until later though.

But EIP bidding is over, and I'm locked in. All I really want is Crowell and Mooring, because they seem to treat their people very well, and seem to have a good atmosphere.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Even for staff, they conducted voluntary layoffs. That was impressive for me.

I mean honestly, 3.28 ... what do you think my chances are?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
How many significant figures should a GPA contain?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

evilweasel posted:

most east coast cities you party till 2, which is a severe problem if you get used to that and then come to new york and constantly accidentally stay out till 4 when you need to be functional the next day

That's why God made Adderall.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Anecdotally, one of the people in the Bronx office with me used to be a paralegal in Covington Burling and said it was absolutely brutal, but that the money was a lot better there.

So basically it's the same thing as everywhere else you go.

Also, people in my bureau work maybe 25 or 30 hours a week (the lawyers - I don't know about the staff).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I'm in the Appeals Bureau of the Office of the District Attorney, Bronx County. It's great work, but I feel like we are churning a very small pot very quickly - much ink is spilled over such petty occasions.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

prussian advisor posted:

I assume the ADAs in the other bureaus are working a much higher workload? Few of the ADAs/DA's office interns I've spoken with in New York offices have encountered ADAs working 40 hour-a-week schedules, and certainly not less than that.

What's the Bronx office like, by the way, in terms of organization and the morale of the ADAs, and just your general feel for the office? I've met people from all the other offices in the city but the Bronx.

It's total camaraderie, from what I can see. The DA, Robert Johnson, asks everyone to just call him Rob, and plays basketball at the summer picnic. Everyone's door is open (at least on my floor, and from what I see of the trial bureau on the eighth). Human resources seem to have done a very good job.

It doesn't seem to be so cutthroat as other places. There were layoffs, but it seems like they did it by laying off the dregs who would've been gone anyways (some people who were just breaking rules right and left; one person who was retiring was moved into the layoff column to appease the budget gnomes).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
If I had faith in the criminal justice system, or did not mind being poor (either one of these, really), I would stay in the Bronx DA for a very, very long time.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I don't know, but I was driven back from an event by a CLS graduate, one of the smartest people in the bureau, in his Honda Accord with tape deck and cloth seats.

I know you can make all kinds of arguments about priorities, conspicuous consumption, and all that, but I want to have a family someday (he's single).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Ugh I don't want to live in a trailer down by the river.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Atlas is in a TRAILER DOWN BY THE RIVER

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Yesterday I spent all day trying to correctly format a table of contents in Microsoft Word. Today I figured it out as soon as I got in. Hella lame.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Yesterday I went to an intern event for some NYC lawyer association. It was pretty cool. A recent shingle-hanger from Touro Law School came. It became depressing.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Why are people still asking that same stupid question over and over.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
It's like...

I can't figure out that grades are immensely inflated in grad programs, and would thus be a poor metric for admissions, yet I want to be a lawyer and stack paper to the ceiling.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
*asks thread for advice on a question that's been asked a dozen times*
*gets the same advice that's been given that same dozen times*
*bridles at the justification given for this answer*
*disregards this answer based on this other guy who went somewhere and did something*
*goes to Touro Law School*

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Why not read through 84 pages of posts? It can be practice for being a Real Law Student.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Gadamer posted:

Because I don't care how many chicken sandwiches you've had :colbert:

ALL THIS INFORMATION IS RELEVANT TO THE WAY OF THE LAW STUDENT!

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I just want everyone who posts a "HAY GUYS CAN I GO TO LAW SCHOOL" to have taken a practice LSAT and to have their undergrad GPA ready.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Gadamer posted:

(Although, Columbia Law disagrees with your theory on upward trending GPAs, or at least their admission website does)

Please don't come to Columbia Law School. If you come off as such an entitled, know-it-all rear end in a top hat online, I shudder to think of what you're like in person.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 23, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Gadamer posted:

I had two chicken sandwiches today. How many did you have?

I went to a cardiologist today and asked if eating chicken sandwiches from McDonalds was bad for my health and what I should do about it, and he said it was indeed bad for my health and that I should exercise. Then I asked him if I could just drink red wine to make everything even out, without the exercise, and he said that it was a stupid idea and I should just exercise and cut out the goddamn sandwiches. But I didn't like what I was hearing, so I asked my family , and they said it was a stupid idea, and that i should just exercise and not eat the stupid chicken sandwiches, except for Uncle Joe who's pushing 90 and said to eat whatever the hell I want and drink a bottle of wine on all the days that end with Y.

So about ten.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I liked DC v. Heller.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Why are you voting for Ron Paul? I thought you were some sort of Scandinavian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
If she wants to work in the Brooklyn DA's office, BLS is the best place for her.