Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

billion dollar bitch posted:

By looking at the (smarter) kid next to her's paper.

She's going to get her's by going to AU.

BOOM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Really like how my Civ Pro exam is limited to:
1)One double sided sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper, min. font 8pt in Times
2)FRCP
3)Whatever you can write in the margins of the FRCP and in the 6 blank pages at the back.

For a 4 hour essay exam.

He said allowing full outlines "wouldn't have mattered" and I claim bullshit because I could be studying that and have mega-legit flowcharts for everything rather than cramping my hand trying to write a bunch of policy poo poo in the margins.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Elotana posted:

Also if it's anything like last year those IP firms are only willing to settle for a B.S. in EE/ME, for any other physical science they want a Master's. (No one wants life sciences for anything, no jobs lmao)

Why is Cravath interviewing at UT? It this some sort of sick joke? Is it only for the top .000001%?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

It's easier to get into Cravath than it is to get into Susman Godfrey.

Well, I'm still not getting anything because my grades are poo poo unless putting TMLS on my resume results in a gpa boost from 3.22 to 4.22.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Mookie posted:

Question why you would want to do either.

Susman is like Wachtell, sign your organs away at the door for massive paychecks to make your classmates jealous.

Goals in life:
1. pay off student loans
2. drive a silver bullet
3. buy lots of skateboards

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Welp, got back 2nd semester grades. (B+,B+,B+,B,B)Got owned by Torts and my Con Law 2 course (should have known Con law would be my undoing) and dropped my cum. gpa down .01 spot. So now I'm at 3.18.

So I'm 99% sure I should be dropping out, correct?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

So you're saying I have to cripple myself....

*grab sledgehammer*

But yeah I'm at Texas. And I heard the same, that URM status doesn't work the same way for recruiting as it does for admissions.

Didn't someone post here that their friend at UMich was URM and on LR and still struck out at OCI last year/year before?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

nm posted:

Yes it is.
If you're a URM at a T1 (hell, maybe T2 and into T3) who isn't failing and you just finished your 1L year, I can get you a paid 2L summer position at a good law firm that will turn into a job (around $100k) after your graduate if you don't gently caress up.
No, I am not kidding.
Seriously, PM me if you fit these characteristics and will move to California (or Nevada, but you don't want to move to Nevada)

Woah woah woah.

I'd love California.

I don't have PM, but

bobbypuleojr AT gmail DOT com

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

amishsexpot posted:

Anyone else going to the Fordham Law "admitted students day" poo poo tomorrow? I'm probably going but would love to not go alone (also I don't want to die alone, dear god).

By the way, thanks Fordham for zero help aside from the 8% interest loans. gently caress me.

They're known for not giving much in terms of scholly/grant money.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
nm I sent you a couple of nervous/jittery emails/law student-ish emails. where you at brah?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

nm posted:

I've been busy.
I'll get back to you soonish.

Coolios.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I don't know if I've posted this in this thread BUT

There's a large firm who had a partner carrying on with the secretary. They have a falling out. The secretary sues the firm for sexual harassment. The partner has a "bad deposition day" and reveals quite a few things. Firm settles with secretary for a 7 figure chunk.

Partner gets married to secretary, still works there.

P.S. William Munny this was your "dream firm"

And it shall remain a dream.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Awards out for UT as well. 49 bids, 3 interviews, 1 alternate. All three interviews are lottery selects.

I'm hosed.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus, I'm sorry man.

I owe you 6er of Dublin Dr. Pepper.

I will drink it while my body is burning bright, as I am covering myself in gasoline as we speak.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Daico posted:

Can I have your stuff?

[Also your interviews]

Sure thing. They are lottery so they're worthless anyway.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

evilweasel posted:

What's this mean, I'm not familiar with your system.

If I understand it correctly, the system is 60% preselect, 40% lottery. Either you got chosen by the firm or you get a random "lottery" slot. Or an alternate slot. Basically they didn't really want to interview you, but the CSO is making them.

Do I have that right CpnScraps?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
There's a second round of interview awards on monday, so I guess I shouldn't light myself on fire just yet, but I don't have my hopes up.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Second Round OCI results: 1 lottery interview, 1 alternate

:negative:

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Daico posted:

Asked a firm for an interview when they were done with their assigned OCI slots.

It felt like it went quite well.

*tears*

I just want a job.

Me too friend. Me too :(

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Adar posted:

Isn't Quinn NYC like 20 people, though?

FWIW Quinn is a very love hate kind of firm, which I suppose already puts it a cut above the usual hate hate kind of firm.

I thought they Quinn works you to the bone, lets you regenerate flesh, then works you to the bone again just to make sure as well. That might just be LA though.

Can you still wear jeans in NYC?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Grammar Fascist posted:

I just accepted a DOJ internship for the summer... yay for a (temporary) job! :woop:

P.S. Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me about participating in the sociology study.

You son of a bitch, you took my spot! (just kidding, I didn't even get an interview)

Almost November and still no job. At least Black Ops comes out in a couple of weeks.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

AshB posted:

That was my retake. :suicide:

Rather than worrying about the irrevocable damage done, I'm just trying to move forward from it. I'm screwed, but I'll try anyway.

AshB I swear to god if you go to law school I will cover your house in poo poo.

Liquid poo poo, so it dries like a layer of paint then your house will be covered in poo poo paint.

Also, I got my friend to talk to his friend at Nike SB (the skateboarding division) and he hinted at a legal summer job position, so my life might not be extremely horrible next summer.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
I have started applying to non-law jobs in an attempt to get one so I can support my decision to drop out at the end of this semester (I hope).

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

The big consideration for 1L is "connections." Firms really care that you want to live in their town, so working there your 1L summer helps you explain why you want to go there. This is ESPECIALLY true for smaller markets; I applied to a few firms in my home state as "safeties" in addition to NYC, and none of them were buying it that I wanted to stick around there.

Or, if your hometown (or home college town where you spent your undergrad years + 2 more years working and your 1L summer job) is a fallback city for UVA Law and GT when they don't get DC/NYC jobs then prepare to have your dreams ruined.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Anyone have ideas for non-legal jobs in Austin? I've been applying to office jobs/pretty much anything I can find that isn't retail/food service and I've got nothing so far.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

entris posted:

Finished my second out of three exams.

On the one hand, I like it when exam questions have easy-to-google answers, but on the other hand, I assume that everyone is smart enough to google so the question doesn't really differentiate the curve at all.

Something similar on the exam I took today. I'm hoping that the fact that I took almost verbatim notes during class + the majority of the questions were based on what he said during class + Ctrl F=good grade.

Anybody know how to crush a Crim Pro II, closed book, MC and Issue spotter exam? Past exams posted on the schools website don't have sample answers and don't have any of the MC questions (I'm assuming he reuses them year-to-year unless the law changes on something). I've already gone through the E&E for it for some practice questions and written out answers for 2/4 practice exams listed. Any other ideas?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Daico posted:

So I withdrew on Friday, returned my scholarship/loan disbursements today, and am marching blindly on. Hopefully not into a wall. I've got stage 2 of an interview (got through a friend; Thanks CSO lessons on networking!) on Thursday and a few other leads.

I'm going to go back and study something worth my time.

Edit: I'm gonna keep reading. For Ainsley.

drat it we were supposed to do this together and join the French Foreign Legion.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Feces Starship posted:

Heard a very sad story about a 2L at texas dying recently under massively suspicious circumstances. Anyone at texas able/willing to tell me what's going on?

I haven't heard anything other than what's in the papers:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/UPDATE-Family-member-says-Jessica-Fertitta-was-1022348.php

She was in one of my classes this semester but I didn't know her at all.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Grammar Fascist posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet--GYU's Cee Lo Green Law Revue. (NSFW)

Ugghhh it seems like every Law Revue in the country is using that one song for something.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

billion dollar bitch posted:

There're a lot of things that law students want to say "gently caress you" to!

Yeah but I doubt any of them would have though of using a Goodie Mob song.

Well, maybe people at Emory/UGA/GSU.

Also, I have an interview with AF JAG for a summer job in a couple of weeks. Now, considering that I have no connection at all to the military in any way, how can I sell myself?

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

:ssh: Rumor mill: Texas is now T14.

I don't feel very elite.

edit: also, where did you hear this?

William Munny fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 26, 2011

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
I somehow managed to get a summer job that is paid and allows me to work from home.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

Daico posted:

Hey guys, I just wanted to check in after dropping out back in January.

I did get accepted to UT's engineering program, but I'm going to take some time off to work for my eccentric boss (salary, benefits, really nice commission program on one project) for a few years so I can save a little money, pay off some of the debt I took on, and enjoy my dissolute twenties and then make the call on the education dealie. Hopefully none of this will result in my untimely death or alcoholism.

You guys alright?

I'm ok, just really jealous of you :(

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Read the post from the last page about not buying textbooks for a semester. I know a 1L who did that for his first semester and got straight C's.

But then again, his mom is a name partner of a small firm back in Cali and he did modeling and was a computer programmer before law school, so he'll probably be alright.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Anyone happen to have outlines for Trademarks and Securities Regulation? Last semester/3L year has completely sucked any effort towards creating my own out of me.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I have a Trademarks outline you can have. No idea how good it is though.

All I need is a passing grade.

bobbypuleojr AT gmail DOT com please and thanks.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
The best part of Con Law was when we covered the Texas sex toys case and one of my classmates said that women don't need sex toys because they can just go to the grocery store and buy a cucumber.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Last law school exam (Securities Regulation) in 30mins. Went through the E&E twice, did all the practice problems provided by the professor, and read over Law Review outlines 3 times a day. Probably just going to get a C, but I don't care.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
Hmmm I haven't posted in a while, so here we go. Graduated from the same school as HolySwissCheese and a few others in this thread with about a 3.1 GPA. Didn't take the bar the first time around and worked doing phone sales for a bit, which eventually knocked some sense into me and lit a fire under my rear end. Ended up getting a job with a County Attorney's office doing Transactional work as a law clerk PT (with benefits). Moved up to FT and the division head has basically told me that, assuming I pass the bar this summer (want to save up money for when I go back PT to study), then they should have a position for me there as a bunch of lifers in the office are retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
I haven't posted in here in a while, but I just want to say that I'm really hoping that I'm on the bar pass list in a couple of days. I've been clerking FT at a county attorney's office and they offered me a job contingent on passing the bar a few months ago. I know normally that an "offer" from local gov doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the fact that they have basically given me an attorney's workload and told me to run with it (contacting/meeting with clients, ordering around secretaries, making judgement calls, etc.) makes me think it's for real.

This may be the worst question in the world, but assuming that I stay here for a few years, what are the chances of moving to private practice at some point? (I'm guessing that BIGLAW is pretty close to zero, but maybe a smaller firm?) Or is it all dependent on what type of work I'm doing?