Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Petey linked this is the Liz Warren thread in LF but I do believe this deserves a mention here (if it hasn't been posted already).

http://duncankennedy.net/documents/Legal%20Education%20as%20Training%20for%20Hierarchy_Politics%20of%20Law.pdf

0L's, this is what learning to "think like a lawyer" will really mean for you.

Petey posted:

I've been listening to iTunesU lectures to pass the time on long drives for work. But the gunners make it almost unbearable.

It's not that there are more gunners in ITU than there are in the general classroom population. However, the gunners are more vocal, because they know they are being recorded for posterity, and, worse yet, they are immortal, forever locked in gunnerdom in those recordings.

Do you have a link? This sounds impressive.

lipstick thespian fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I haven't been this terrified since hitting "post" on my first SA post.

I'm glad you have your sense of priorities straight. Would you estimate your future job prospects to be more or less, heh, "serious business" than your internet posting career?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

holybartender posted:

Out of curiosity what is the answer?

How would you be able to know the answer without knowing wheter the guy was a minority or not? :rolleyes:

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

JudicialRestraints posted:

Lawschool Update: One of the two cute girls in my year is dropping out. Woe.

Why?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
People ask me all the time if I have plans to study abroad in the US/work there. It's getting a bit hard to answer without being really snappy about it.

Speaking of which, the actual numbers behind the racial bias inherent to the US justice system are pretty amazing:

http://www.pslweb.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=14289&news_iv_ctrl=1261

Now I just need to find something like this for northern Europe to compare it to.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I had a dream that I was back in grade school and they were about to give me a torts final in japanese. I felt incredibly stressed when I woke up.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Nero posted:

In a 10 week summer program I gained 20 pounds. If that pace keeps up indefinitely throughout my working career I'll break a ton at about age 40

I've gained something similar over the last semester. Too busy just readjusting to academic life to have the will to do anything. But yeah, it's time to get back on the wagon.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The whole 4-color highlight system for textbooks is kinda overdoing it. Using different highlights for a textbook can be a good idea, but I mostly use it to either break up huge slabs of text into two or more fairly independent parts, or because I'm too lazy to look for green highlight or whatever it was I used last time.

JudicialRestraints posted:

I did this. Then again, ask any of the posters from my school, I'm kinda broken in the head.

(p.s. it's actually a good idea but you shouldn't obsess over it. I just highlight important facts in yellow and the takeaway message in orange. Blue is occasionally used for discussing precedent but I normally don't give enough of a poo poo for that.)

I did the exact same thing, including blue for precedent. However, I used pink/orange for facts/takeaway. :gay:

lipstick thespian fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 8, 2010

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I am sitting down to write a mail to the author of one of my coursebooks (who is an adjunct here at Uppsala university) where I am pointing out several errors in one chapter of his book. Things are about to get pretty interesting.

I think I've kind of transcended the gunner thing I had going when I was younger, instead just settling for being an autistic law nerd.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
We do have socratic lessons over here starting at the second year, but I've never heard of anything actually happening when people go "I don't know." or "didnt read lol" at a direct question posed to them. I have a friend who had that as a policy through and through and he's almost done now.

Enigma89 posted:

I am checking in for the new thread. I am finally starting my senior year of university and will be taking the LSAT in October. My first attempt at home I got a 141, so I am going to buckle down and study hard. I am shooting for USC, UCLA, LLS, USD.

The trolls have really been getting pretty lazy lately. :shobon:

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Ainsley McTree posted:

I remember one time I skipped a class so I didn't get the assignment for the following class and I asked a classmate what it was because I knew I was on call that day. I did the reading and I go to class and he asks me about a case that was actually a class ahead of the cases my classmate told me we were supposed to read so I said "I did not read that case, I don't know" and he gave me this "oh dear" look and asked someone else, who immediately had the answers he was looking for.

I come to find out later that he had in fact NOT assigned that case for that day, he just happened to ask a gunner prick who had read ahead to make me look bad

Still got a B (or whatever Northeastern's equivalent of a B is, a "very good" or something like that)

Why in the world doesn't northeastern not use grades like everyone else?

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did you use the double negative in a clever way or was that a typo and you're just asking why northeastern doesn't use grades?

If it's the former I dunno what you're asking, if it's the latter, Northeastern is a kind of hippie school that was designed to break the mold of obsession with grades and class ranking and cut throat competition, and instead was meant to foster a more cooperative atmosphere with a focus on experiential learning. I've heard professors describe it as the "anti-harvard" (Harvard, ironically, no longer has grades). Instead we get a pass/fail and a written evaluation, a paragraph or two describing our performance in the course, usually centered around a buzzword like "good" or "very good" or "excellent" or "a general competency with a working knowledge of the rules of civil procedure". Some professors are better at it than others.

Ironically, however, one of the professors is tasked with going through our evaluations and assigning grades to them upon request for transcripts so I kind of don't like the system

The double negative was unintended, yeah. But drat, that sounds harsh. It also seems very pointless if you do end up having to translate it for transcripts anyway.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Today I'll be going to a gay wedding where apparently a fortune is being spent on the alcohol. I'll dedicate my drinking tonight to Ainsley getting a job and closing the circle of life as far as this thread is concerned.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My doctor told me if I keep drinking the way I do I will 100% get cirrhosis by the age of 40 and be dead by 45. So now I only have beer and wine during the week and liquor only on weekends or at special events or when I can sneak it while my wife is in the bathroom. Oh and I open a secret tab at restaurants so the waiter can give me "sparkling water with lime" and I don't have to hear about it.

This is what thinking like a lawyer really means.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Day two of the new semester and I'm pretty much completely done with the work I need to do on insolvency for the entire year. That's half the courseload I have. Which means that for the next twenty or so socratic lessons I'm going to be working on completely unrelated assignments or (more likely) just play minecraft. Feels good man.

Edit: Actually, I probably could do better than minecraft. What's the perfect game to play on boring lessons about useless poo poo (ie every lesson in law school :smug: ). I need a game that is 1) old as hell and runs on my lovely EePC, 2) not too reliant on sound, 3) fun to play. I'm thinking Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri if I can get it to run, but suggestions are welcome.

lipstick thespian fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 31, 2010

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CaptainScraps posted:

Yep. Realize that the whole socratic method of learning is loving bullshit past the first semester, that you'll know how to read a case by the end of your first year, and that the entire third year of schooling is completely and utterly unnecessary.

You tell me. We START socratic classes during the second year. It's such a loving joke that you HAVE to be there to listen to the professor going "okay, so in this stolen property case, what was the stolen property? Any hands?" for forty five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I hate IP so much. SO. loving. MUCH.