Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I took animal law. It did not help me become an animal

Law school is still the biggest mistake I've made in my life, and that includes the time when I was a kid and I was playing with a sparkler and my dad said "don't touch the end!" and i touched the end

We're your dad and law school is a sparkler and you're every new poster that enters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

How long is that mp3? I kind of want to listen to it but not if it's like an hour long or something. I'm a busy guy!

I guess I could just download it and run it in a player and see for myself but I have no time, that's just how busy I am

I think like 40 mins.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
All of the unemployed lawgoons could probably run a pretty good Eve-isk/WoW-gold farming business.

* work from home
* already have game experience
* potentially some client relationship experience from summer law jobs
* no resume to submit/app to fill out
* just as spergy/OCD as looking for typos in credit agreements

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
~*~course chat~*~

How's this for 3L course padding:

Law of War
Law & Literature
History of CrimLaw
International CrimLaw
(and a few important ones like Sexual Offences)

There's no international animal rights law class being offered :(

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

BigHead posted:

Isn't History of CrimLaw just the crimlaw you took in 1L? How much more antiquated can that poo poo get?

You'd be surprised!

Course Syllabus posted:

The two dominant legal traditions in much of the world, common law and civil law, emerged in medieval times, and to the present often differ greatly in their modes of prosecution, standards of evidence and nature of proof, form of trial and roles of fact finders. Borrowings between the traditions, in the past and now more frequently, are creating some convergence, but the inner logic of each system remains quite different.

This course explores those differences, and also important variations between common law jurisdictions, for the light they cast on Canadian criminal law. Our system is the complex product of changes to different parts over a long period, rather than a logical structure designed as a whole. Thus miscarriages of justice, new demands for prosecutorial efficiency, political crisis and revolution, the attack on capital punishment, changes in ideas of criminal responsibility, democratic movements, all brought sudden change, and then consequent changes in other parts of the system—because it is a system.

The course explores this process and its results in considering— blood feud; Romanization of European law; inquisitorial procedure and the emergence of the common law; the common law trial before the lawyers; treason, felony, and misdemeanour; development of right to counsel; capital punishment and the genesis of exclusionary rules; search warrants; habeas corpus and detention without trial; judicial review; codification; juries, jury nullification, and crown appeals; grand juries (an American survival); private and public prosecution; speedy trials and lay justice; the insanity defence and other doctrines of criminal responsibility; origins of the presumption of innocence; habitual and dangerous offenders; executive clemency, error, and defence appeals; judicial authority and contempt of court; electing judges and prosecutors; Anglo-American and European policing; military justice; criminal law in empires; civil liberties and political trials; the rule of law and the nature of the state.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

quote:

So how long are y'all planning on being unemployed after graduation before you go get a different degree?

A military friend stationed in Afghanistan is already checking out civilian opportunities for someone with my background. Dying to an IED would be a lot better than dying to cirrhosis (alone).

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

feedmegin posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I was a history student, and calling the Corpus Iuris Civilis mediaeval seems a bit iffy to me, especially since it was formally codifying previous Roman practice. :)

I'll make sure to yell at him for that.

quote:

Just wait until you get one from a defendant whose record covers multiple states...

"Defendant then argues that he is the victim of a nation wide conspiracy..."

crim law owns

We had one of these recently!

quote:

Mr. Kecala age 55 appeals the decision of Superintendent Chris Wyatt, Chief Firearms Officer of Ontario dated September 4, 2008 refusing to issue a firearms licence to him. Mr. Kecala appeared on his own behalf...
Briefly summarizing the police contacts, the Vancouver Police charge alleges that on January 7, 2002, Mr. Kecala left two telephone messages on his wife’s voicemail at work threatening to break every bone in her body and that he was waiting for her at home with a knife as she had been trying to poison him in his food for over two years...
Mr. Kecala reported to Toronto police that a woman approached him in a public park and told him “were gonna use the machine guns on you and if you talk to the police, we have people that execute the police.” He explained to the police that there is a powerful conspiracy against him by an ex-employer, that his house was bugged and people are listening to his conversations...
Mr. Kecala called the police to his workplace to report that his former employer had organized thousands of people to irritate him by coughing or scratching their heads whenever they are near him. Mr. Kecala confirmed to the Firearms Officer and the court that thousands of people are controlled through a website which may be related to that employer, Andrew Kordos, purportedly to prevent competition for his business...He said that half the people in Toronto were part of the conspiracy to cough when he is nearby and would not let the police enter the residence as “the people were listening.”
Further, the police were part of the conspiracy as the held their hands a certain way while speaking to him.

There's a lot more entertainment in the full judgment. He didn't get his firearm license

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
After days of writing and rewriting and ultimately aborting a dozen [articling] cover letters for government ministries and firms that don't really do what I'm truly after, I'm thinking of only applying to the handful of places that really fit me. How terrible a plan is this ~*~in this economy~*~ ? Should I just submit some incredibly basic letter that doesn't really mention why I'm applying to the Ministry of Transportation (for example) or how I'm qualified? Am I just wasting both mine and the hiring committee's time?

I kinda brought this up earlier with regard to an admiralty firm, but now I'm a) stumped as to how to spin my narrow experience into more diverse fields, and b) whether I even want to work outside of the criminal or regulatory environment, and c) regardless of whether I want to work there or not, should apply just to get more potential opportunities.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Guess who lucked out. :woop:

Short-term gig (3-5 months), so I guess I'll keep trying to find a way to article next year either with DOJ or some IP/techlaw firm in Ottawa/Vancouver/Toronto, or get some other permanent position. But it's a foot in the government door, it uses my law degree despite not being counsel-track, and it sure as gently caress beats unemployment. I start Monday.

Now, to keep my bills at bay for three more weeks...

Congrats! Was this through FSWEP?

DOJ is my #1 articling location too, their rotation is amazing and they had a 100% hireback rate this year (14/14).

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Skagway is literally the worst town name I've ever heard

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Two days left to submit articling applications.

I just received my first letter of reference a couple hours ago. The writer of the second hasn't gotten back to me in a month.

:suicide:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TyChan posted:

It was sad how much more intellectually and academically rewarding for me BarBRI felt than actual law school.

Indeed. I put together a bar course presentation on corporate law for my boss and it basically covered all of the important stuff from an entire semester of Business Associations in 20 slides. Looking back on law school, if there wasn't always a chance that the final exam wanted some obscure case history and/or commentary, bar prep stuff would have been superior to any other study aid.

edit: letter of reference finally came. An hour after I (snail-)mailed off my first applications. :negative:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I was cleaning my room today and found all of the brochures and correspondence and offers from various TTTs (including forum favourites Valpo and Cooley :swoon:). I seriously considered going to them before I found the thread.

I wonder what might have been :unsmith:

(actually Lewis & Clark's stuff was kickin' rad and sold the place well, maybe I should keep that one and burn the rest)

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

MoFauxHawk posted:

I'm really sick of telling people this, and maybe you're just joking, but: Lewis & Clark isn't worth going to UNLESS you're absolutely certain you're interested in environmental justice.

It had a really nice campus okay?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
A dude in some of my classes last semester often had friendly banter with the prosecutor and defence counsel teaching our homicide class - I googled his name and he's one of the top psychiatrists in the country and testifies on all the big murder and sex assault cases (esp. involving children or deviant sexual behaviour).

No idea what the gently caress he's thinking going to law school, since he was also in some totally non-crim classes.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

nm posted:

He probably just thinks it is interesting and might help him at some point (knowing the law can be good for expert witnesses, I worked ina firm that did that type of work once).
And unlike us peons, if he is a top expert witness he won't be wallowing in debt and unemployment.

That's what I figured initially, but he was in awful classes like Secured Transactions, which have literally nothing to do with his practice. Of course he could be doing his JD instead of just taking classes for fun/knowledge/LLM, but that seems like overkill.

Good for him though, he was a cool dude.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

The gist I got from the OP and some other sources is that the shrinking legal market is not only an effect of the recession but a long-term trend which can be expected to continue. Why? What are the factors which are reducing the need for professional highly-educated lawyers? Arbitration and mediation? Cheap legal clinics? Increased ability for people to find (good) legal information themselves? The US justice system moving away from involved and expensive jury trials? Other stuff?

In a post-economic downturn world clients are less willing to pay exorbitant amounts for billable hours, so gone are the days when a legion of lawyers would be in a basement billing $1000/hour for document review. They send that poo poo off to India now.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Oakdale posted:

gonna go work lovely jobs for a year in Texas and hang out with old friends

I envy every single one of my maxed-out-education-with-high-school friends that get to do this.

I'm stressing over a goddamn paper I have to write for my boss while everyone else is out having fun every night before going back to their "lovely" jobs in the morning. Motherfuckers.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Are you trolling the thread or do you really not have any idea how much a legal education costs these days?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
you should encourage her to go and help her be the best student possible so that she lands at a white-shoe in NY and you can leech off her until the end of days

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I really wish I liked PI because that's where about 95% of the jobs here are.

edit: drat now I realized how much practicing Pet Island law would own

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

entris posted:

I stopped that particular activity once I was enrolled in law school and haven't looked back. Out of all of my friends, I'm the only one who doesn't have a single illegal piece of software or music in his possession.

Is this seriously an issue for C&F?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I drove two blocks without my seatbelt today while playing YouTube music through my phone to the car stereo's aux :smug:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lmao

someone buy me this av and I will repay you in Abita and/or bourbon of your choosing if you come to New Orleans

If I had known you'd av it I would've put the text a bit lower because it doesn't look perfect

OH WELL

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I'm seriously poor right now so the only way I could afford to go to NOLA would be a full ride to law school which I will then lose and be forced to live on the streets for a while

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

It's the indignity that is overwhelming. Most of these subjects would be illegal for Spartans to practice seriously, and the fact I'm meant to memorise great chunks of this stuff for a highly questionable exam should be a cause of action in and of itself

I just cracked open my fortune cookie from dinner - did you write it?

"They are never alone who are accompanied by noble thought."

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Articling (and OCI I guess) Call Day is literally the worst day in law school

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Post more highlights for us poors without archives

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

soj89 posted:

How did it go for you? I thought you were just doing Ottawa? How many interviews?

3 interviews out of 12 apps, which is a crazy good ratio considering a couple friends got 0/80some.

Got a downtown Toronto prosecution gig but the Department of Justice rejected me :qq:

How'd you do?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

edit: drat now I realized how much practicing Pet Island law would own

Quoting myself from page 80 because I just realized one of my interviews is with the Ministry that does animal cruelty prosecutions :frogc00l:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

There's got to be a book of pattern jury charges around there somewhere.

The Canadian Judicial Council publishes some.

http://www.cjc-ccm.gc.ca/english/lawyers_en.asp?selMenu=lawyers_modeljuryinstruction_en.asp

It's Canadian though :smugdog:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
the only thing that's mean is you guys, to prospective students of our noble profession

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I wish I knew more of those people because then ~daddy's little girl~ wouldn't be out taking my jobs. Most of the people I know who got jobs at OCIs had parents for lawyers sooooo

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Edit: I think I might compete with this guy for dope Lawyer/MC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUfzOZIv4V0&fmt=18

Rhyme of the fuckin century right here:

RAIN FALLS HARD
AND GETS YOU ALL WET
THE ROAD GETS SLICK
DON'T BELIEME
BET

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Government interviews up here - especially in criminal law ministries - are intense, 45-minute oral examinations about all aspects of the criminal law, sentencing, policy, recent case law, etc. I have two coming up in a week, one of which is for an appellate Crown job, and I haven't been this terrified since hitting "post" on my first SA post.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

Seriously? I've done about 6 prosecution interviews, and for the most part they've ranged from, "yeh real good to read your writing sample; you do what we want to see around here" and "Yes, judge x is a laugh; up for a pint later?" I had a total of one interview that involved the sort of interview questions you see around here or in prep classes, "what does it take to be a good prosecutor?", and after that it just went back to the more pleasant "yeh lol how about that case, drat why'd you think the jury went that way?"

So really all gov interviews have been a pleasure for me, very enjoyable, good chance to meet the people you're working with, would recommend++. Private interviews can be funny when you know that you have made the dickhead on the other side of the table suffer. "So, I read your writing sample, uhhh so molestation huh"

Yeah, seriously, we need to have the Crown Policy Manual memorized (dealing with how to treat witnesses and the media, policies regarding sentencing of minors and natives, prosecuting drug crimes, etc), have a grasp of recent case law at the Supreme and Appeal levels, and for the articling interviews be ready to answer what x section of the Criminal Code is. Some of it is boring crap like "how do you work in teams." All of your answers are graded numerically, and they take the candidates with the best scores to a higher-level hiring committee to discuss more general poo poo like "fit".

~*bureaucracy*~

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

poofactory posted:

Hey guys, when sending my office your unsolicited resumes, please address it to someone in particular and include a cover letter so we at least know for which job you are begging.

should the photo of my dick be attached to the application package or faxed later with supplemental material?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Daico posted:

First semester and part of the second, I had recurring dreams that I was enrolled in a math class that I'd completely forgotten about and was failing.

That was a new and unsettling addition to my dreams.

The "scheduled for a final in a class I never knew I took" has been a staple of my dreams for at least a decade.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
3L is going to rule. Should I write about steampunk or cyberpunk in my Law & Literature class? Maybe space operas? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

gvibes posted:

So looks like I'm doing OCI for my firm this year. How do you suggest terrorizing the poor saps we aren't offering jobs to?

Go to your old school's exam database and pick out some shorter questions from whatever practice area you're in. Grill the fuckers.