Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
So, done with 1L as of Thursday!

Problem: due to my loving up the online application process, I can't apply for Law Review (or any other journal, for that matter).

How hosed am I? I have no interest in academia (or actually being on law review), but wanted to clerk.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Ersatz posted:

Journal is extremely important if you're interested in clerking. If it really was a simple screwup on your part and you can make a straight-faced argument to whoever is in charge that it would be in no way unfair to the other competitors to make an exception to the normal process to enable you to apply, you should start hustling to make it happen.

Yeah, I tried this, got shot down. Emailed back, explained what happened, and received a terse and fairly rude email back stating that there were absolutely no exceptions.

Talked to two deans, neither was able/willing to do anything.

I (and at least 5 other people I know) all forgot to fill out a second required form. I generated an application number, assumed I was done, and then after the 5 p.m. deadline read the confirmation email, wherein I was informed about the other form.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

JudicialRestraints posted:

what are the chances of us getting paid for this 'internet law'

Also, will it be in currency or mountain dew/hentai?

400 lolis/hour

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

post-OCI toast: "May none of our lives tragically be ended in suicide."

Bonus: Fed-ex overnighted rejection letter from Sullivan & Cromwell.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 30, 2010

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

FINALLY got a callback, V20 firm. Lets keep this ball rolling, we were doing relly good in this thread with jobs a few weeks ago.

Grats! Ours has been a mixed bag; I know people with between 0 and 9 more or less inclusive, but a TON of 0s and 1s.

I managed to swing 2 of my top 3 choices, but only have 4 total so I'm a little worried. Our last interviews were Friday, do more come out after this?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

2L Summer:

Quinn Emanuel v. Latham v. Kirkland (all NYC).

FIGHT!

(I would like to someday be a trial lawyer, but also don't want to work 300+ hours more a year for the same money. I liked Latham the best out of the three and have a relevant contact there as well.)

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

But I don't have to bill if I get laid off...

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I'm thinking Quinn now, even though don't really want to.

Aristokles posted:

...then be a prosecutor, or pd. How is this even a competition?

Because I want to make money/not do criminal law more?

William Munny posted:

I thought they Quinn works you to the bone, lets you regenerate flesh, then works you to the bone again just to make sure as well. That might just be LA though.

Can you still wear jeans in NYC?

Yes, although the jeans thing is a negative for me honestly. Also, the NYC office is 180 lawyers nowadays and growing.

gvibes posted:

I just assumed he was talking about looking for a US attorney job after 3-4 years. Ex A-USA's are like 90% of big firm trial lawyers anyways.

Well, yeah, but you do get into court at Quinn and Kirkland to a lesser extent pretty fast.

P.S. -- Not a troll.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Oh, a more specific question.

If I do my summer or a year as an associate at Quinn, and hate it, what are the prospects for leaving vs. the others? Which has the best lateral prospects/best chance of getting a US Attorney gig?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

UPDATE:

I accepted Latham a few hours ago.

Will I be fired unceremoniously? Stay tuned!

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

So did Prussia

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

No :(

Also I can't believe anyone is debating the merits of westlaw v. lexis. Lexis is horrible, end of discussion.

I refuse to use lexis on the grounds that it has a disgustingly cutesy name...

On the other hand, our Lexis rep is fairly attractive, but our Westlaw rep wears suit jackets with jeans and has a faux-hawk.

They do give us Westlaw Next, though.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Abugadu posted:

kick susan guindi for me

What'd she do?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

evilweasel posted:

what we need is some sort of agreement to restrain the trade in legal education

but what about those small dealers and worthy men who will end up on the government bread line if they can't teach at Cooley?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Elotana posted:

Just in dissent from this: The patent litigation workshop I took at UT was taught by two partners from Weil in Houston and it was the most useless class I'd ever taken. They gave zero feedback on our written assignments outside of final grades, and it was completely random on a given week whether in-class exercises would be judged by one dude, the other dude, both dudes, or some hapless co-worker of theirs completely unfamiliar with the course's structure and fact pattern.

I'm sure they were competent attorneys, but they were busy attorneys, and totally incompetent teachers.

Seconding this. Also, make sure it's something practical rather than inherently academic.

I'm taking International Law (because it's required) with adjuncts currently, and while they are more prepared than the ones Elotana had, the big problem is it's a subject that is inherently a course all about pointless omphaloskepsis. I was hoping we'd get some practical insight about cross-border transactions or something but instead it's the same "Sovereignty/Human Rights" that is taught by all the profs. It ends up being a lousy philosophy class instead of a good one.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Someone on my Facebook currently has the entire case caption for "US v. Approximately 64,695 Pounds of Shark Fins, 520 F.3d 976" as their status.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

cendien posted:

Uhm. I hate to admit to this. But do you know me?

Do you go to a T9 law school in the upper midwest that isn't the University of Chicago?

If so, yes.

Tetrix posted:

Honestly, for the 1L summer, anything legal related is fine.

Seconding this. I had a super-un-prestigious job (but one that gave me a lot of real experience and therefore a lot of stuff to talk about in interviews) last summer and I did fine at OCI, where it actually matters.

This was especially key because I had the job lined up already as a backup to firms and didn't even have to think, and therefore stress out about, looking for work during finals period

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

"I am fascinated by the interaction of regulations with the potential of criminal prosecution, as well as the host of public policy and theoretical issues that are raised by environmental law. Also, Rush's The Trees loving owns."

So, the OCI interviewer at my school for Foley & Lardner asked everyone if they knew what "The Trees" was about.

The answer he was looking for was Quebecois secessionism.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

No. You're potentially losing out on far more $ in the future.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

how much does human rights defense work pay?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

My dream job is mafia lawyer. :unsmith:

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

My evidence textbook was originally purchased at Touro Law School.

The former owner underlined basically every single word and wrote nonsensical or blatantly obvious notes in the margins.'

Also lots of exclamation points.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Ersatz posted:

Even for biglaw it's not a negative. If you can summer with a firm go with that, but otherwise a judicial internship is fine from a career perspective, and will actually provide a lot of value to you in terms of the skills and knowledge you will develop.

I interned for a state trial court last summer and it worked out fine for biglaw. Really, unless you get a firm job as a 1L, there isn't much difference in terms of raw prestige. What is different is what you can talk about during OCI when they ask "Tellme about your job," or "what was an interesting case you worked on."

Internships are baller for this, IF you get a judge who actually is giving you substantive work. Some of them are "fetch coffee. find these cases on westlaw and print them out."

The big consideration for 1L is "connections." Firms really care that you want to live in their town, so working there your 1L summer helps you explain why you want to go there. This is ESPECIALLY true for smaller markets; I applied to a few firms in my home state as "safeties" in addition to NYC, and none of them were buying it that I wanted to stick around there.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

nm posted:

Nearly everyone wants to be number 1. Like 12 people are getting paid for #1.

I can't emphasize this enough. If you want to do-good, realize you're entering into an inherently ascetic lifestyle. You need to be loving sure the "satisfaction" you get out of your work is worth the fact that you'll be making $40,000 a year, at best. Doing something you love is primarily for rich kids, people with very strange interests, and people who take pleasure in self-sacrifice. Will you *really* love the day-to-day work you'd get? Really?

And if you love it so much, do you really need to take on $200,000 of non-dischargable debt to do it?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Oil and gas seems actually reasonable if you have connections. My boss last summer made a lot of money doing it as part of his practice before becoming a judge.

On the other hand, don't even think about going to a local TTT if you can get into a T14 or even a lower T1 school. Your connections will be there if you go to Yale or Cooley, and no firm is going to take someone from a TTT over someone from a T14 who actually has experience and can articulate a plausible reason why they want to work there. On the other hand, you might have a huge amount of opportunities you never thought about if you do well, and going to a top school will open up opportunities within Oil and Gas-- i.e., bigger firms that handle that subject, in-house for BP, or whatever, that would never be available to someone from a TTT.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 8, 2010

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Have any of you ever set up a trust for a dog?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Phid house is a frat in the sense that they have one giant party per semester but not a frat in the sense that they're co-ed, have one party of any sort, and populated entirely by neurotic gunners.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 11, 2010

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

She did a few rotations in retail at Vons grocery store and said it was awesome, easy and paid well with almost no extra hours. She said the reason why is because grocery stores only even have pharmacies for convenience, and don't particularly care about how much business you turn out.

This random mention of Von's Grocery?

Yeah, I'm taking this as an omen I did well on my antitrust final. NO ONE DISSUADE ME.

Angry Grimace posted:

Pharmacy is not an easy trade to get into. My wife is a P2, and almost all Pharmacy schools are 4 year schools that have graduating classes of around 100, although hers is only 57.

Veterinary school is similar to this as far as I know. Very few, small programs for some reason.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 17, 2010

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

I want to say the elite high school --> better undergrad sounds like a crock, but here's the thing: I come from a family that never went to college or stressed that stuff in the slightest. I went to a public HS and I had a good SAT and GPA and sports and poo poo, but I applied to exactly three schools: UW, NYU and USC. I applied to NYU and USC only because a chick I was into said she did. Sure, I had heard of Harvard, but I had no idea about good schools like Duke and Johns Hopkins. And I really had no clue whatsoever about this prestige idea. I love UW and everything with me and higher ed has worked out pretty darn good so far, but if those elite high schools do offer something, it's information on more possibilities after you're done there. I think that has value.

The vast, vast majority of people I know who went to Ivy and near-Ivy league schools went to private high schools, especially "academy" type ones. I'd guess more than half the people I know at law school overall went to some form of private school.

As someone who went to a tiny rural high school like Slyfrog, I can attest that you really have very few options coming out of those places. No one from my high school went to school out of state; our counselor's office didn't even have materials to apply anywhere not in Michigan. From my class, one girl went to U of M, maybe 4 people from my class went to Michigan State, a couple more went to Michigan Tech, and a few rich kids went to lovely private schools. The rest either went nowhere or to Central/Western/Eastern-type places university. There's a very distinct perception that you can't get out, which doesn't help things either. I slacked like crazy in high school, showing up when I felt like it, never did homework, because I had it in my head I'd never be able to pay for college or even knowing what kind options (and opportunities for aid) there were out there.

I can't speak to preparedness for college; I annihilated undergrad, but 95% of my knowledge didn't come from my high school education.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 20, 2010

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

gvibes posted:

Michigan does not allow.

We also aren't supposed to give out our transcripts during OCI until the interview is over.

The justification is something about getting firms to look at us as individuals and not as numbers or something equally asinine.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Anthropolis posted:

The University of Michigan Law School is an unmitigated shithole. Pros: All of the pretension and expense of a top national law school without any distracting frills such as job placement or meaningful resources. Cons: ??
Take in the historic Law Quadrangle, which was built in 1912 to house the first entering class of eight law students. Every square inch has been under extensive renovation and reconstruction every year since; the facilities can now comfortably educate up to thirty-two students

Sorry you hosed up 1L year/are terrible at interviews.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Elotana posted:

There's a substantial element of luck when it comes to both grades and interviews.

That makes it Michigan's fault he didn't get a job?

I also have really enjoyed law school, and know a few other people who have had very similar experiences (and also done well). It's been the best 1.5 years of my life so far, and I haven't worked hard at all, except for 2 weeks a semester for finals. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who hate it and work like crazy (and generally have done mediocre to poor).

tldr: It's a horrible idea for most people, a good idea for a significantly smaller number of people, even if you get into a T14.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Yeah, absolutely the social aspect. The academic aspect is boring but easy and I have zero interest in (and utter contempt for) legal academia.

:smug:

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

pretty sure night school is mostly middle-aged hausfraus bored of life and looking to do something else now that their kids are moving out and no man will ever love them again.

:smug:

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I have 3 of those. :smug:

Am also prepared for an armed standoff.

Soothing Vapors posted:

she is either a liar or a dumb

the Detroit legal market is a flaming shambles, but that has like no bearing on Michigan; almost no one stays in-state unless they want to. 5 minutes of research would have borne that out.

I applied to all the Detroit firms that came to our OCI in addition to NYC as I figured they'd be good safeties for a lifelong Michiganian. Only Miller Canfield gave me a callback. I don't know anyone who got a job in Michigan, even people who genuinely wanted to stay in the area. It's insane.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I got a paper rejection almost 2 months after my Detroit callback (and six weeks after I told them I would be "pursuing other opportunities.")

As an aside, I know a few people who had similar experiences in other rust belt markets (Ohio, Pittsburgh).

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 4, 2011

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Lilosh posted:

So what's the general outlook on transferring from the Lower T14 up to the top?

As I mentioned on the last page, I'm in the top 10% after my first semester at Cornell. Assuming that this act of god continues and I do the same next semester, is it generally a good idea to apply to transfer up? It seems the tradeoff is going to a better school vs being on law review and in the top 10% where I am. The devil you know, and all that.

How far down the chain is it worth it? I mean, I'll throw transfer apps at HYS, and maybe Columbia. But should I also apply to CCN? It seems like it wouldn't be worth it to go up a few rankings (Duke, Northwestern, I'm talking to you), but I've even heard people talk about it wouldn't be worth jumping ship for anything short of HYS. Also, I'd heard that, in addition to 1L GPA, HYS also look at the undergrad poo poo that you applied to law school with and they expect that good transfer candidates will have been at least competitive for admission in the first place, and with a 171/3.3, I wasn't even close. Is that going to hurt me?

(Edit: Non-URM)

Thoughts?

Also, for those who have transferred (I think Prussian Advisor went UF->Columbia, right?), I've looked at the transfer info for HYS and all that, and seen the application deadlines, but what's the process and timeline I'd be looking at if I want to start working on transfer apps?

Top of your class at Cornell = a job.

Transferring = everyone will think you're a douche, you'll have a hard time starting over, will lose all your friends. Will get exactly the same job but will have microscopically better chances at academia.

E: If you get into Yale.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 11, 2011

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Adar posted:

Harvard is the blood throne. Yale is the skull throne where the blood comes from.

Stanford is the reclusive cousin no one talks about.

That could pretty much describe any of the other three chaos gods, so I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific, counselor.

By this logic, Michigan is Leman Russ?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

I did a lot of real estate law this past summer and my boss would constantly reference some weird obscure Michigan law and say "well, you probably know what I'm talking about, you took property"

yeah, but I had Simpson (RIP :() for property, and the only things I learned about were
-the Rule Against Perpetuities
-British fox-hunting law circa 1600
-cannibalism
-bestiality
-gay porn hidden under mattresses
-a liiitle bit of adverse possession

I had a lot last summer too. Property was basically my favorite class ever as I had Bill Miller. I could probably take the multiple choice today and get like 3 wrong.

Simpson :smith:

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Linguica posted:

<--- me irl right now

Same. Law review hosed me over on the application; still got the job I wanted, and haven't used westlaw or lexis since August. :smug:

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 20, 2011