Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Draile posted:

Thinking of...

Fordham just started a redesign of its Manhattan campus that will put the law school in a 22-story building. The first nine stories will be the law school. The top thirteen will be undergraduate dorms.

Oh god why did I not go to Fordham? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
French Foreign legion was my law school backup.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Wikipedia and 24 oz. lo-carb monster got me a B+ on my antitrust final. Take of that what you will.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Neko Sou posted:

Do any of you guys have any experience with The Innocence Project? http://www.innocenceproject.org/?gclid=CPTk-cCa26YCFUdrKgodDRdO2A I already have an externship in federal district court this summer but I'd really like to do this too. But they need you to work full-time in the summer and part-time during fall semester. It seems like a good learning opportunity and it pays $2,500 (which is better than free). I feel like learning from a judge and the networking/letter of recommendation I'm going to get from the externship this summer will be more helpful but I don't know if I should try to do this at the same time somehow or maybe next summer if I can't find a firm job.

Do you want to work for a firm or anywhere else? If yes, judge.
Do you want to save the world or do criminal defense? If yes, either.
Do you care more about $2,500 in booze money than a slight gain to future employability? If yes, Innocence Project.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Using Mr. and Esq. at the same time is a serious faux pas.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Necrons basically you paint silver and then dob green on the eyes you could do your entire army in like 45 minutes while you masturbate this is not a reasonable excuse.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I mean i painted 3,500 points of Bretonnians one summer in high school including hand-painted individual heraldry on every knight and they looked wicked and I am also terrible at motor control this is just beyond the pale.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

"Finally, finally an excuse to use this to look down on someone!"

:smug:

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Adar posted:

Hey, we should really have met up so I could argue you out of this vOv

Re: Korea, I did that (went to Russia my first summer) with above median grades from a t14 in a better legal job environment. I did not get a paying 2L job. You've been warned. Again.

Yeah, of all the people I know who are currently 2Ls at the same T14, the biggest concomittant of being unemployed for next summer is having done nonsense, like non-legal corporate work in Korea, or trying to save the bushmen of Liberia or whatever.

Go back to the firm; you can keep your contacts there alive (huge in this market) and no firm is going to think you're lazy. Firm jobs for 1Ls, no matter what sort of firm, are gold.

On the other hand, you started law school, aren't sure you want to even finish, and are instead concerned with your fashion degree and your boyfriend. You should probably leave this job for someone who actually wants it.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Lilosh posted:

gently caress. gently caress.

I have an interview and an alternate slot for the NYU PILF next week and this makes me think that they're just dicking around the 1Ls and not really hiring.

Maybe our Career Services/Public Interest office is right and you're wrong... but I doubt it

PILF sounds like some horrifying, weekend-web inspired variation on MILF.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Omerta posted:

Pretty much every professor at every school gives an A+ for booking the class. I'd be pretty pissed too. Actually, I'm pissed because I got a B+ and my GPA went down by .14. Here's to hoping my three remaining classes come out As (or A+s)...

Maybe I'll pull a JR and do the 4.0 --> 3.0 move like a boss.

I booked 3 classes and have yet to get an A+, yet I know lots of people who get A+'s and didn't book.

REAL gunner problems.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

highest grade in a class gets something called a "Book Award"

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The best advice I can give:

Buy a fifth of Jack Daniels and drink it over the course of the bar (evenings only unless it's your second bar exam).

Worked for me

Also acceptable?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Good/fine. I seemed to know every bit as much as my friends who did Barbri. Also, some of the lecturers were really good (the commercial paper guy, Sherman Clark for evidence [Go Blue!]) And, like, I saved ~$2,500.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

I prefer exercise to drinking to destress. After an hour of cardio I can barely remember my own name, much less what happened that day.

And you purport to be a lawyer!

Actually, that goes to the last two posters.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I actually got into an argument about if the crazy property guy was awesome tonight (he was)

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Tetrix posted:

what was the answer to that mbe question about the bomb planted in the plane that kills 3 people?

It was murder for all three due to transferred intent, right?

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

So, now that the bar is over, I'm on to apartment hunting....

Anyone have input on billing while on transit by reading documents/cases or redlining briefs or whatever? I'm considering ~1 hour commute per day in exchange for about ~$15,000 a year in housing cost and tax savings...

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Light rail & subway in, car service home most nights.

Are firms going to freak out about security if I do that?

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 27, 2012

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I am a holder in due course of knowledge of the law that pertains to negotiable instruments.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Assigning people to practice areas or forcing them to choose a month after you take the bar is a tremendous dick move.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Many things that are common are still tremendous dick moves.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Boxman posted:

The secret is to join up with a firm that shovels all that work onto contract attorneys. I did that for the last 8 months, and I have it on good authority that the first years didn't have to deal with that poo poo.

PS ringtail sucks.

Anyway, I end my long, semi-nightmare of being underemployed and being supported by my significant other when I report for a job with the federal government Monday. I am now neither unemployed nor alone. Now that I have a job, this thread will probably depress me a lot less. :v:

We keep our contract attorneys literally in the basement. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

I think the worst thing you can do in OCI is try to talk business/be too specific. Just chat with them, have a couple stock questions for them ready and a bullshit/evasive response for the big questions you can expect ("Why [city]? Tell me about your 1L summer job!).

Every firm I got callbacks from was one where the interviewer and I talked about TV/philosophy/video games/karaoke/my embarassing Con Law Grade and shot the poo poo for 20 minutes. Whether or not you get a job is determined 98% by your 1L grades, and your interview performance can only drag you down by, for example, you asking a dumb question or being awkward.

Your interviewer is a person just like you, but a couple years older. Would you be impressed by some 1L sperging out about corporate tax, or the firms latest merger? Most people do exactly that, and it's dumb. They'll remember the guy who was chill or talked about <interesting topic>, not "TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PRIVATE EQUITY PRACTICE" dude.

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 15, 2012