Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Abugadu posted:

To update the OP, I'm back at the Guam AG's office.

Also, last threads' champions:

User -- Posts
JudicialRestraints 716
Ainsley McTree 660
Incredulous Red 475
CaptainScraps 473
evilweasel 463

Apparently UW-Madison needs to assign more busywork.

Did you consolidate Grumblefish's posts among his different names?

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

Wow, that's out of left field. I mean I loved The Critic, too, but I didn't think it would get Jon Lovitz on the bench.

Lovitz would fly through confirmation hearings. "What's your opinion on abortion?" "It STINKS!" (all Republicans vote yea)

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

10-8, I thought you were lying about how awesome your job was. Now that I'm working for an agency I have come to realize that you were downplaying it so we wouldn't kill you and wear your skin.

10-8 is on a two week vacation and will probably never see this post.

Meanwhile I spent all day writing a motion that will almost certainly not be granted. I think the moral of this story is that I'm doing it wrong.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Lancelot posted:

I somehow fumbled my way into getting an offer from a BigLaw firm for a graduate position as a tax lawyer. This is what I've spent the last five years working towards.

...why do I only feel dread?

Because you accepted a job where, working within the confines of a tax code that already greatly favors the very wealthy, you will try to bend the law to get them even more favorable treatment and inevitably some rear end in a top hat like me will come along and kick over your sandcastle?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Anyone have any tips on being a summer associate?

Take full advantage of the free lunches. Order dessert.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Lykourgos posted:

Dear Lord, the pain. I wonder what usually happens at that point; do you just fail the bar, or do you go into overtime? I reckon I might simply take it by hand really.

So glad I found employment, so glad.

Hey in all seriousness you're a smart guy, if you just actually put in some time prepping you'll pass the bar no problem. I'd just hand write it - the $100 to take it on a computer is basically wasted money.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

vibrantglow posted:

thanks, won that bet. my friend was convinced they weren't. sucks for him and his embellished story

I'm saying it's maybe a 20% chance they read his personal statements. Sure they've got it but how much time do they devote to each file if their cursory background check doesn't raise any flags?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Lykourgos posted:

In criminal court your motions, PCPs, and appellate briefs are all read. Every argument, no matter how retarded, is responded to, as though all parties were guard dogs barking at the slightest hint of an intruder. People are so diligent that they will even research and reconstruct a nonsense argument so that they have something of actual substance to rebut. This might be because of the higher stakes and superior questions posed by criminal law, though.

This is true of tax court too actually, so I'm guessing it's not the higher stakes and superior questions.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Mookie posted:

The only thing less sociable and weirder than a transactional attorney is a tax attorney. This is fact, not opinion.

Dude, you're a liquid-dieting biglaw associate whose only regret is that it's impossible to bill 25 hours in a day. Who are you calling unsociable and weird?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Lykourgos posted:

I'll have you know that such time tested judicial procedures are still in place in this very nation. :911:

And in our very city!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

TheBestDeception posted:

As much as I don't like agreeing with this gimmick, the bar exam pisses me off for this reason. 90% of the Texas bar is from knowing specific rules about specific areas of law, many of which are irrelevant. 10% (MPT) tests actual and useful lawyering skills that one should have picked up during law school.

Memorization is dumb. If the board of law examiners REALLY think the essay portion tests analyzation (it doesn't), then we should be able to use outlines for it.

Get over it. The bar exam isn't about seeing if you're fit to practice law, it's about providing barriers to entry so you people don't come take our jobs. What we really need are longer bar exams with ridiculous amounts of required memorization, character and fitness standards which are only questionably constitutional, and ideally some sort of labyrinth full of minotaurs.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Abugadu posted:

It would still beat 'Reached level 80 in WoW' on the resume, which is what a disturbingly large percentage of grads are doing.

As someone who has both jobs and a level 80 to his name, do I want to put the level 80 above or below the jobs on my resume? And do I need to state my spec?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

GregNorc posted:

People actually use multiple highlighter colors?

(Then again, I'm still in undergrad)

I never really highlighted at all. If I really wanted to remember something about a case I'd make a note of it, but I usually didn't read and if something came up in class it would be in my class notes.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Mookie posted:

And here I am about to turn 29 and feeling old. Thank god.

How did I fail to realize I'm older than you? Your posts always make me think you're in your late thirties.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

Congrats!

Between HooKars becoming employed and someone else in the thread being on the cusp of not dying alone, I'm concerned that the thread's motto may be in danger of becoming obsolete.

What if, at the moment of death, I am alone? Does that count?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yes, but see, in Lykourgos's rather distorted world view, the owner should have recognized him as a member of the gentry and offered him a table ahead of the unfortunate bourgeois that also frequent the establishment. Then he could properly spend the morning talking out his rear end and not tipping because he's above such "common nonsense" or some poo poo like that. I don't read his posts anymore.

To be fair, this is actually a common view among Chicago law enforcement. Pretty soon he'll be threatening to bring the health inspectors down on places where he doesn't get seats fast enough, and his descent into the machine here will be complete.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Stunt Rock posted:

People who work in criminal law generally are generally much nicer because you see the same people constantly. That's not as common in civil law, unless you work in a niche market. Here, the nicest and most reasonable attorneys to deal with are usually involved in criminal work or family law.

Tax is a pretty small community, and every private practitioner in a city basically goes up against the same office every case. Yet a decent number of them try to pull all kinds of underhanded poo poo.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Tetrix posted:

forums cancer light text gives me a headache

The key is to shun the afflicted.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Paisano posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little surprised I didn't get a chorus of boos, so I'm actually pretty encouraged right now. I didn't expect it would be easy to get a job in prosecution, but I'm a little surprised at how difficult it is. I guess I thought that most people really wouldn't have any interest because of the pay. Still - if I'm going to give up on a dream because it is difficult to attain it isn't much of a dream anyway.

Also, re: JAG - If I didn't have a medical condition that prevented me from serving in the military I most likely would have gone to OCS after college.

I don't know if you keep up on the thread, but just in case: you honestly cannot trust Lykourgos.

And I know a number of people who've applied to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office, and a few who've gotten hired. There's no rhyme or reason at all to who got hired and who didn't: experience at that office, grades, experience in other prosecutors' offices, nothing seems to correlate with getting hired there based on this tiny sample. So keep that in mind - it's as much of a crapshoot as anything else.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

in absentia posted:

Today in Professional Responsibilities, someone insisted that the code of professional ethics was actually a hindrance to society because it prevents lawyers from breaking the law. His evidence was first that "civil rights used to be illegal so if lawyers cared about laws African Americans wouldn't be able to vote right now." His final trump card after the instructor disagreed was that "if lawyers actually had to follow the law, we'd have never revolted against the British Empire and THERE WOULD BE NO AMERICA."

0Ls: these are your classmates.

Were there no state disciplinary committees to disbar people in the 60s?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Vander posted:

I'm giving a mock opening statement for class today. I'm wearing a sexy 3 piece suit and am thinking of delivering it without the jacket on. Good idea or bad idea?

If you're not wearing the jacket you're no longer wearing a suit. Ask yourself if you should wear a suit when you make your opening or not.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus loving christ why are they still making me do this loving bullshit work without paying me for it?

I'm sick of introducing poo poo into evidence. It's dumb, I'll stipulate it beforehand and any real fight will be had in a motion in limine. I won't do it in real life for five to ten years. gently caress, I should have gone to business school.

Yeah, I know, whiny but 3L can blow me.

I practice before a court that requires parties to stipulate to the fullest extent possible. It still came up repeatedly during my very first trial.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Direwolf posted:

So should we be focusing on applying to jobs or focusing on studying for exams? I only applied to a few come December and have put off summer employment things (as a 1L) until after Thursday when I'm all done... Did I do A Bad Thing? Am I screwed?

Studying. Your 1L grades are basically going to determine your future. No pressure.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Petey posted:

Well, IMSA is one of the best schools in the country, and the suburban schools like Naperville are terrific, but there are plenty of private schools that send kids to sexy places that you might not have heard of but they're still sending them.

Of course if even if you go to one of the best schools in the country (:smug:) if you go to undergrad and law school at public institutions and then get a job working for the federal government, you've pretty much wasted all that advantage.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 19, 2010

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

Shouldn't you leave your GPA off your resume if it's a 3.03?

I don't understand this thinking. Do you think someone is going to see a resume without someone's poo poo GPA on it and go "hmm, this guy left his GPA off. It's probably because he's got great grades but is very modest. Let's bring him in!"

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Also honestly she speaks Japanese, which is a more useful skill than 90% of law grads have. Of course, I'm not sure Houston law firms are the best place to market that skill, but still.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

BigHead posted:

I would imagine that any inference a recruiter might draw is better than admitting that you're in the bottom quartile.

I think the only inference to be drawn from a resume without a GPA is "this person has bad grades."

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

smoke detector posted:

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at things, especially since some law schools do not allow students to put GPAs on their resumes.

Are these law schools anyone should be hiring from?

e: Seriously, I'd like to know how a law school can possibly defend that policy. If you're not giving letter grades that's one thing, but if you are and you don't let students put GPAs on their resumes I don't see that as remotely defensible.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 21, 2010

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

gvibes posted:

Michigan does not allow.

What's their justification for this?

Also this doesn't seem like "not allowing:"

quote:

The Office of Career Services strongly discourages putting your law school GPA on your
resume for on-campus interviews. If you decide to include your GPA, be certain that you
compute it correctly. Round to at least three decimal places and use conventional rounding
standards. You must also reflect Michigan’s 4.3 grading scale (i.e., 3.287/4.3). Nothing will
destroy your job chances quicker than misrepresenting yourself.

e: On further reflection I probably wouldn't want to work in an office with someone who'd spent three years in Ann Arbor anyway, so this might work to my advantage.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 21, 2010

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Defleshed posted:

He supports Something Awful completely just by re-reg fees

If you enjoy law school you are the sort of person who will make a great firm lawyer but is an otherwise terrible human being. You have your own little slice of misery waiting for you.

I think law school was actually a lot of fun... That has nothing to do with whether going is a good idea, since you pay tens of thousands of dollars for it and can't stay forever.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Petey posted:

Wouldn't that mean that the players have even more power to sue the gently caress out of the NFL should the union decertify?

More power than what? Baseball players? Probably. But the non-statutory labor exemption doesn't just apply to sports leagues.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Petey posted:

e: the point I'm trying to get at is - suppose the owners lock out the players and the union decertifies. How much power do the players have to force the owners' hands to make sure there is football next season?

Probably none. It would probably take years to resolve in litigation.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Abugadu posted:

The owners might have the ability to challenge the decertification, which would string things out.

But the players won the last trial after they decertified in the early 90's, so the tactic's worked once before.

The major downside:

Both times that there have been shortened seasons because of labor issues, the Redskins won the Super Bowl.

Edit: Probably wouldn't take that long, it'd get fast tracked for sure.

I didn't mean the players wouldn't win*, but I'm not sure decertifying would prevent a lockout. Maybe it would, but the Freeman McNeil case (which I think is what you're talking about) took years. I suspect the NFL and players will come to some understanding to resume playing before a suit gets fully litigated, if it comes to that.

*: I'm not sure that we can say either way. The owners are not currently violating antitrust laws because they and the players are governed by a CBA. When it expires, if the union decertifies, only then do antitrust laws start governing; theoretically, the owners could probably then start acting within the bounds of antitrust law. I don't expect them to do so, but I think it's technically possible.

e: To be clear, I'm just guessing on that last bit - this isn't my area at all, but I think my speculation makes sense.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 12, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Was that Bill Nye?

Yes, yes it is.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Solomon Grundy posted:

In terms of making ends meet, we do what we can. Every time Suze Orman shows up on Oprah talking about ways to cut your expenses, we already do all that stuff. We clip coupons, and comparison shop. I get my suits at Men's Wearhouse.

Somewhere, a chill just went down Mookie's spine.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

It's been covered already by others but yes, you can deduct it. I was able to max out my student loan interest deduction last year because I consolidated. It was nice since that was the only year I could take the deduction before the AGI limits took it away from me.

This is why I'm getting married - I can double that AGI limit and get back in the student loan interest deduction game.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

Yes, but what does she get out of this deal with the devil?

Cross examined, mostly.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

I didn't realize this. The single limit is 75k, right? If you're married does it go up to 150?

Yeah, that's exactly right.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HooKars posted:

People actually take off for Valentine's Day? Even junior associates? That would not fly at either firm I've worked at.

Thank you for reminding me that my job, which lets me take off almost whenever I want to, is objectively better than working at a law firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Defleshed posted:

Same! Woop!

Yeah, it was nice being like "Alright, gotta leave by three to go make a Valentine's Day feast. Gonna pack it in," and just heading home.