Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Petey posted:

Hrm I can't decide if they are my natural allies or competition.

Well, you've got a map with 253 places in the entire United States where it is possible for one to get a cheeseburger, so maybe it's a bit early to start thinking about competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Petey posted:

And get to just make poo poo up all the goddamn time

http://volokh.com/2011/02/15/asteroid-defense-and-libertarianism/

I know I'm just a crazy statist but doesn't the implied logic behind that post suggest that taxing people to fund fire departments is an illegitimate function of government from a moral perspective? Because I don't see any qualifiers like "federal" in that quoted bit.

And then I went to the web site and checked out the full text and didn't see any qualifiers either. But I did see that I can now get an LL.M. in taxation from NYU without ever setting foot in New York. This is oddly tempting, although I can't imagine that an LL.M. is something that will make even the smallest bit of difference in my career.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Torpor posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/nyregion/26jury.html

This is going to be an awkward case to bring before the jury.

Although according to that article he's not entitled to a jury trial.

It's unfortunate that these prosecutors brought what I think is not a really defensible charge against a guy who's obviously kind of a nut and who apparently doesn't want counsel, because they're getting away with one here.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

entris posted:

Different, yes, but everything I've said is applicable to both.

I was very careful not to actually tell anyone that they should nullify, and I was especially careful not to link jury nullification to any particular case in front of us. I just mentioned that there is this thing called jury nullification that has existed in the American criminal justice system for a very long time, going back to the very founding of the country and that jurors are not penalized for deciding not to find guilt (or voting "no" on an indictment) if they believe the law itself is unjust.

I have no interest in getting smacked with a charge of jury tampering or anything like that.

If a member of a grand jury told other grand jurors to vote against indictment as a form of nullification, could a prosecutor really hit him with a tampering charge? It seems like it would be a problem if prosecutors could retaliate against grand jurors for what they did in the course of executing their duties.

e: Then again I would have thought the First Amendment pretty clearly protected handing out general information about nullification outside a courthouse, but apparently the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York would argue otherwise.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HooKars posted:

I feel like at least half of what I do could be done by a paralegal, personally. Hell, sometimes my work WAS done by a paralegal pre-5 pm and then would get handed to me if it was post-5 pm and the paralegal had gone home in my last firm. The difference between a paralegal and a junior associate is not a huge one, and things are probably done better by a senior paralegal than a junior associate.

They should give him a chance, but firms suck.

I was actually trying to estimate what could be done by a paralegal in my job too, and I came up with about half of what I do. The problem is the other half is a lot different than what our paralegals are ever asked to do, so success as a paralegal at my workplace, anyway, doesn't really mean you'd be good at a lot of what attorneys in my office do.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

Too many tax lawyers up in here.

Seriously, stop diluting my loving market, assholes.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Vander posted:

Writin' a tax paper for law school over here.

Stop it, there are no jobs in tax.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

I only blame myself. The archived editions of this thread are filled with my posts describing the champagne wishes and caviar dreams that come with being a tax lawyer.

And you should blame yourself. It's your fault.

Seriously, for the benefit of those of you who are not 10-8, the problem with a career in tax is that you can do tax planning work which basically means to earn a living you need biglaw credentials. Or you can do tax controversy work and represent taxpayers in which case you're going to need biglaw credentials or likely make very little money for years, or you can represent the government in which case you're going to have to beat out hundreds of other people for a position.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 30, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

gohuskies posted:

A smart UVA student has started a little side business selling shirts:

That's just misleading. Selling t-shirts is a job.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh I thought he meant you had to have worked in Biglaw

i should never doubt Bob

Yeah, I just meant you had to have a resume that would give you a shot at Biglaw in the first place.

Like everything else in this field, if you have great options you'll have great outcomes. For most people the outcomes aren't so great.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

nm posted:

Run a suppression motion on that one. I think there's case law to support that. You might even make the Supreme Court. Scalia would say the founding fathers did't know about drones and lay the smack down in my dreams (he's kinda good on search issues)

I'm pretty sure that trying to suppress evidence gathered by drones in a public downtown festival is a nonstarter.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

God dammit, this thread spilled over into Football Funhouse. People ought to be ashamed of themselves. How many threads do we need to discuss Alex Kozinski's relentless self promotion?

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lmao only me and Solomon are up at 6 on a saturday

This is the wonder of being a government attorney. I've got a job working as a lawyer AND I don't normally work weekends! Huzzah!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

echopapa posted:

We've got you beat at Legal Aid - thanks to Congress, I'm going to start getting even more days off!

Unpaid.

There are a lot of people in Congress who want to do that to me too. And knowing how dedicated Obama is to loving over federal employees, it'll probably happen.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

People here are always saying you shouldn't go to law school, there are no jobs, nobody's making really money.

I say you can't have this job without going to law school.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Alaemon posted:

My judge graduated from DCL. He gets sort of tight-lipped when the "MSU College of Law" comes up, because apparently the alumni were told they'd retain the DCL name.

They did for a couple of years, I think. They're better off as being MSU College of Law, honestly. Being associated with a Big Ten school is almost certainly better than being DCL.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hay guys wat do you think about this idea??

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/opinion/29bach.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Seems like a big waste of money when we could just outlaw the AMA and that would be free.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Might be an expansion of sovereign immunity or the like, or just an idiot reporter.

The CBO claims that tort reform would lower malpractice insurance costs which would lower federal health spending.

I am somewhat skeptical.

vvvvv: Seriously, dude, the idea is lowering health care costs: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/738839

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 1, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Solomon Grundy posted:

"But even large savings in premiums can have only a small direct impact on health care spending--private or governmental--because malpractice costs account for less than 2 percent of that spending"

http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=4968&type=0

Like I said, I don't think it's a good way to lower health care costs. I was just clarifying that that article really did mean tort reform.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Lemonus posted:

( Decided in a landmark case in 2010 actually- http://bitly.com/k1tmK8. Not that I expect anyone to be particularly interested but you might find it interesting just to have a quick look at the New Zealand typeface/formatting of court decisions. I have always admired Century Schoolbook from the USA.)

Wow, that's something else. It looks like the stuff I get from older attorneys in my office who just cut and paste things in from different sources and don't bother to reconcile the formatting between those excerpts.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Lemonus posted:

As far as I can see the whole thing is in the same formatting? Also; your older attorneys give you court decisions cut and pasted togethor? Of course you can still think it is terrible regardless lol.

BTW; does anyone have a font file for century schoolbook? for Mac?

Maybe it's some weird font issue with my mac, but I see a bunch of bold sans-serif on the first page, along with a bunch of some serif font. And they apparently the way you guys cite cases is by using a different font for the citation than you use for body text.

And I'll get drafts from older attorneys I'm working with where they'll paste in quotations or citations straight from Westlaw or Lexis or from opposing counsel's brief. So those end up formatted differently than the attorney's own statements in the draft.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for sale for $6.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

It's times like this I wish I didn't own a Mac.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HooKars posted:

Perfect.

To quote:

REDACTED

I have never been so happy to be in a union as I am right now. The world would pretty much end if I got a review like that and a single word in it was even arguable.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

The union is the reason I have to sign in/out at the start and end of my work day, like some sort of minimum wage food service worker.

I've been a minimum wage food service worker, the system usually involves carding in or keying in. It's much more advanced than a mere sign-in book. So you're actually signing in like a food service worker from the 70s.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

diospadre posted:

It's pretty easy if you just do the work, it's very mechanical so there's no stupid bullshit that gets thrown at you.

Yes, the stupid bullshit in tax law (i.e., the Tax Court's seeming belief that its precedents don't require rethinking until every last circuit court rules overrules them) isn't stuff that gets taught a law school income tax class.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 26, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

prussian advisor posted:

So MaximumBob, 10-8, and/or anyone else who's with the IRS that I might have forgotten. Once you've graduated and started to practice, what's the favored way to get a job with the agency? Do they have any recruiting rather than the usual "one usajobs listing every ~18 months that gets 95,000 applications" method? Do they ever hire anyone who comes from non-tax-law practice backgrounds?

I think 10-8 looks at these things more closely than I do, but short of through their honors program (out of law school or a clerkship) I don't think they hire from non-tax backgrounds except for laterals from other federal agencies. And that seems to be relatively rare.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

MoFauxHawk posted:

Wow mean. :( I'm going to believe HR's advice over yours both because it serves me and because Northwestern is more a Duke-level school than a Georgetown-level school. I hope you're right about the furniture though, thank you for the input.

Edit: Also SAM I didn't say in! It's sort of at the Loop! Streeterville is right at the Loop's border.

While it's true that "Streeterville is right at the Loop's border," that border is the river, and Northwestern is on the other end of Streeterville from it.

And I really hope whoever was dropping off clerkship applications at the Loop post office lives or works near it, because if their law school is near it they're just wasting their time.

quote:

Looking into it a bit more, I was actually wrong - Chicago doesn't do as well as I thought! Nor does Georgetown. Chicago does slightly better than NW, and Georgetown does slightly better overall but places fewer into federal clerkships as opposed to state and Article I clerkships. However, Chicago massively outperforms when it comes to SCOTUS clerkships.

I strongly suspect that if one went and actually analyzed all of Chicago's SCOTUS clerkships you could determine that it's entirely based on Chicago disproportionately placing people with Posner and Easterbrook (probably mostly Posner).

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 22, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Whatever happened to suitchat?

I'm going for a fitting for a bespoke suit tomorrow morning. Anything I need to be aware of or watchful for before I pull the trigger?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Good Morning Mr. Draper. :bigtran:

Hey, Don never messed with his secretaries. Until, you know, he nailed one and then married her replacement in short succession. But not til then!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You missed Michigan State!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

e: never mind

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 21, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

nm posted:

A DA. In Texas. May God have mercy on your soul.

I assume when Illinois abolished the death penalty, Grumblefish cried a little.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

nm posted:

He actually gloated about all the appellate PDs being laid off.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just overheard a senior partner telling one of the office managers to go buy several huge tubs of ice cream because he felt like having an ice cream party this afternoon. He also told her to call our other offices and tell them they should all go buy ice cream too.

Sounds like some associates are getting fired today!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Adar posted:

It's tied with every other one for that ranking, though, so you're good.

This thread/the OP need more wacky OCS stories.

Sorry, I know this is a little old, but I've been away. I have a coworker who interviewed for a few summer positions down at UIUC not too long ago. Apparently the students repeatedly got tripped up by standard interview things that, when I went to UIUC, they at least mentioned in mandatory career services presentations. For example, tailoring your cover letter to the employer in question. Or admitting that you were only interested in a paid summer position with the employer, not coming back full time. So it's possible UIUC now is actually as bad at career services as they apparently are at fraud.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

Portillo's is for tourists. Go to Al's.

How does it feel to be so wrong?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

UIUC completed its internal investigation into its statistics reporting. The Dean of Admissions resigned Friday. The report came out Monday. My favorite quote:

quote:

Pless was instrumental in the development and implementation of iLEAP. In an October 28, 2008 email, Pless was asked by an acquaintance: “U of I doesn’t require LSATs anymore? Really?” App. 24. Pless’s response described one of the key objectives of iLEAP—securing the enrollment of students with high undergraduate GPAs and the resulting benefit from a USNWR ranking perspective:

quote:

This is old news. I am a maverick and a reformer so I started a new program for U of I undergrads to apply in their junior year and we don’t require the LSAT. We have additional essays and an interview instead. That way, I can trap about 20 of the little bastards with high GPA’s that count and no LSAT score to count against my median. It is quite ingenious. And I thought of it before Michigan, they just released it earlier. I was hoping to fly under the radar.

The strategic aspect of iLEAP was not lost on Pless’s acquaintance, nor was Pless’s ingenuity: “That is clever. Jack up the GPA without risking the low LSAT (so long as their GPAs don’t crash after they’re accepted—you might want to keep the offer GPA-conditional in some way). But nice gaming the system; I’m so proud.” Pless replied: “That will be a condition. Plus, if I don’t make them give me their final transcript until after they start, I report the GPA that was on their application.”(FN18) To this, the acquaintance remarked: “nice.”

And here's that footnote:

quote:

During an interview with the investigative team, Pless denied that he computed the GPAs of iLEAP students for ABA reporting purposes based on their grades as set forth in their applications, and claimed, instead, that he relied on their final, post-graduation transcripts. The investigation found that this claim was false—that is, that Pless did not use the final transcripts of iLEAP students in computing median GPAs.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Blakkout posted:

Why does he have to resign?

Submitting false numbers to the ABA and US News.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

MoFauxHawk posted:

Oh. I was under the impression that it's normal for schools to send in the application GPA instead of the final transcript GPA. Otherwise schools would be a lot more hesitant about people applying during senior year of undergrad. I let my GPA in college drop like .4 during my senior year (if you're an employer, I'm joking).

Oh, that's not actually what they got him for. I find the footnote there funny because of the attitude in the emails and because he apparently thought he could just say whatever he wanted to the people doing the investigation and they wouldn't notice, but when I say false numbers, I mean he just lied about the numbers of incoming studentsto make it look like he was doing a great job recruiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

Petey posted:

Do you have a link for this?

Sure, here it is:
http://www.uillinois.edu/our/news/2011/Law/index.cfm