Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

daslog posted:

Tell me how much this Exkmark Metro 32 is really worth

The guy selling it said it's over 20 years old.

https://nh.craigslist.org/grd/d/exmark-metro-32-inch/6604333337.html

Well you can buy new for that price (which ya old poo poo was made to last and all that) but...somewhere south of $1000. Wait a month and if he still has it listed maybe he'll take a fair price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yeah, over a grand is too much for a 32" walkbehind, service history or no.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Its got a briggs engine, its belt driven 5 speed, I would knock off $1000 and offer $700-800. Thats being generous. A new one is probably $3000?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

Is this just land or are you moving here? Are you building in the future, if so how long in the future? Are you storing the tractor on the property or hauling it there to use it?

Frankly the drainage is probably better contacted out to someone with an excavator and the knowledge and land survey tools to do it right.

Land ended up being a cash grab scam by the dead owner's father who knew there were several incoming judgements against it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I love the writing style in that ad:

It runs great! It's always been serviced! No problems! Two sets of blades!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

I think it's an Attex 297, but I'm not sure. I don't know anything about it other than it's really cute and had to be saved. It only cost $400...
The engine is seized, some wheelbearings are seized, most of the chain idlers are seized and it was full of water (which is promising since it probably floats).
The transmission input turns, one output turns, one doesn't. I have hopes the transmission is good.
It came with a spare engine that was allegedly rebuilt 30 years ago and never run, said spare engine turns over and has compression. It's a single cylinder air cooled 2-stroke. It can't be THAT complicated.

It's otherwise fairly complete, looks really simple and easy to work on, and will hopefully be a fairly easy job to restore and get back on the road/water.
I've restored cars, this looks a lot easier to restore than a car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I dreamed about those as a kid.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Those are cool, I've never had the chance to drive one but I've seen them out. What kind of transmission do those have? Does it have high/low?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

chrisgt posted:

The transmission input turns, one output turns, one doesn't. I have hopes the transmission is good.

Probably just open differential action.

E: Nope, I'm wrong http://www.6x6world.com/forums/transmissions/22834-whats-so-special-about-max-t20-steering-transmission-max-faq-2-a.html

E2: I don't actually know if yours has a T-20 trans or not.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 7, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Dagen H posted:

Probably just open differential action.

E: Nope, I'm wrong http://www.6x6world.com/forums/transmissions/22834-whats-so-special-about-max-t20-steering-transmission-max-faq-2-a.html

E2: I don't actually know if yours has a T-20 trans or not.

That looks like the trans in the second gens with the twin cylinder engine. Mine has the single with a trans that doesn't have much information. It's not just a plain open diff, though. It has planetary gearsets on each side with brakes. I'll put up more pics and whatnot as I dig in.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Due to popular request, I started a thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859331

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I dreamed about those as a kid.

Same. There was some "kids compete at things" show on Nickelodeon in the '90s that featured Argo 6x6s in one of the challenges and I loved every minute of watching it, wishing I could be on the show.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

wolrah posted:

Same. There was some "kids compete at things" show on Nickelodeon in the '90s that featured Argo 6x6s in one of the challenges and I loved every minute of watching it, wishing I could be on the show.

Holy poo poo, that's it. That's the root of those for me. Hot drat!

I remember going to the dentist and looking through Field and Stream magazine not because I gave a poo poo about hunting, but because they had those amphibious 6-wheelers occasionally.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
If you're ancient like me, you remember the Banana Splits running around Kings Island in 6x6s.

https://youtu.be/XMl6HnhFFIA

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it. That's the root of those for me. Hot drat!

I remember going to the dentist and looking through Field and Stream magazine not because I gave a poo poo about hunting, but because they had those amphibious 6-wheelers occasionally.

I just went searching and while I was sure it was "Wild and Crazy Kids" on Nickelodeon it turns out it was "Maximum Drive" on Family Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqEb2HZG8j0

I remember having that one R/C car "Rebound" that could flip over and keep going, so I understood tank-style steering, and I got so annoyed at the kids that clearly had no idea what they were doing trying to drive one of these things.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A friend of my exgirlfriend's parents had a Max 6x6 that I got to play with a bunch as a kid, and now the park system I work for has a couple Argos. They never stop being fun, although I don't exactly love working on them :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

A friend of my exgirlfriend's parents had a Max 6x6 that I got to play with a bunch as a kid, and now the park system I work for has a couple Argos. They never stop being fun, although I don't exactly love working on them :v:

I already don't love working on the thing. Mostly rust, though. Once I have taken everything apart and de-rusted, it shouldn't be too bad. It's a very simple little thing. Maybe I've been messing with the mercedes too much, makes this look simple.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
lovely craftsman weedeater.

Plug is good. Carb is clean. Fuel lines clean. Has strong spark. Will not fire. The primer bulb is cracked pretty bad, and I got it to allllllmost catch once when I managed to get my thumb positioned perfectly over the crack, which then caused it to crack even worse.

Could it really be that simple? I'm good with large 2 strokes, but lawn equipment just pissed me the gently caress off.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

iwentdoodie posted:

Could it really be that simple?

Yep

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cracked primer bulb will prevent vacuum from pulling fuel into the circuit on a lot of 2-smoke carbs.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If you've got a Craftsman trimmer I feel bad for you son. You've got 99 problems and stoich is one.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

If there is still a Sears near you they sell new bulbs in a bubble pack hanging near the equipment. It probably needs all new lines too though cause even the smallest crack will ruin your day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

shy boy from chess club posted:

If there is still a Sears near you they sell new bulbs in a bubble pack hanging near the equipment. It probably needs all new lines too though cause even the smallest crack will ruin your day.

Closest sears is forever away, so I'll just try a small engine shop or Wal-Mart or something.

Fuel lines I pulled and replaced already, force of habit.

This thing was free so even if it never runs I don't care too much.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Most hardware stores sell small equipment fuel lines and common primer bulbs. You likely have a small engine repair shop within 15 minutes of your house, they'd have that stuff, too. Or just buy a $15 rebuild kit on ebay...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dagen H posted:

If you're ancient like me, you remember the Banana Splits running around Kings Island in 6x6s.

https://youtu.be/XMl6HnhFFIA

The Banana Splits Show: When everyone in children's television was hosed up on drugs.

EDIT:

I like the Dickies version of the theme better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1NoBwsurI

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 12, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So about 4 months ago, we bought a 12 month old Neato Botvac, because with three cats and a wood fire, our house was FILTHY, and the two hours a week on the vacuum to keep up sucked. AU$1190 unit, 2nd hand for $250 cash and a service on a pajero. Still was on its original battery, which despite being a 2017 manufactured machine, was a 3200mAh Ni-MH unit.

The Botvac batterys pretty much only have a 12 month lifespan, then their capacity falls through the floor, and ours got the point it wouldnt start reliably and we would get less than 20 mins out of a charge before it was flat and looking for more juice.

Just gave it a bit of a birthday, new beater brush unit- went from the standard rubber flap brush to a bristle and flap combo brush which is better for pet hair, a new side brush, new high efficiency filter and a new battery. Except this ones a 7200mAh Li-PO battery. He's just done his first run, and we've gone from 16 mins of run per charge to 65 mins run per charge!

Look at him go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80zGpohOioY

Its amazing how much more grunt the Lithium battery has- before, it would move off the dock, start up the vacuum fan then kick on the beater brush, and when the beater fired up you'd hear the fan noticeably slow down. Not any more!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The wonders that less internal resistance will do, along with double the capacity. Batteries changed so much about portable electronics devices.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
ooh... My BotVac 70 is currently boxed up in the closet due to the battery finally giving out. They have Lithium replacements for them now? I'll have to give it another look.

Fake edit: Ouch... $95 USD.. about 45% of what I paid for the vac in the first place.

Fake edit#2: In case anyone does't know. Neato used to game their model numbers.. The BotVac 70, 75, 80, 85, etc... where all the same exact base machine. They just changed the color and included accessories and charged a ever increasing price. I bought the cheapest base model 70, and then bought the upgraded accessories separately (which are made by many 3rd party sellers) Ending up with a "Botvac 80" for considerably less than it actually cost to buy the actual one.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Same battery is $129 here in Aus. But genuine are around $75 so worth it.

Yeah, between the battery, filter, edge brush and new beater brush I spent something like $280 on a machine that cost me $250...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Golf cart tire question.

I've got a golf cart at parent's RV up north. My brother is up there this weekend, tells me it needs a tire.
Says the size is: AT 18x9.5-8

Whats the deal with the measurements? is 18 the overall diameter? 9.5 the width? 8 the rim diameter?

Assuming thats the case, can I run this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/18-x-8-50-8-turf-tire/A-p8668246e Tire in place of it?

Are golf cart tires like car tires, where you can run a slightly different width on the same rim as long as its not too much wider/narrower?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"Yes" to all your questions. My wife's cart is running 20x10-8's with no lift and no clearance issues.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
With grandpa dead since a couple of years, when grandma died some months ago, it falls upon the uncles with families to try to keep the farm looking somewhat ok until it is sold.

One of the two top modern tractors available.

This mower hasn't been serviced in at least fifteen years I think. One of the knifes/blades had broken off.

Like new! The knifes/blades are cold riveted to the bar on the right which is then slid into the track with the fingers on the right (the blade bar is facing the wrong way in the picture).

It then becomes this very OSHA approved device.

EDIT: this video refuses to embed https://vimeo.com/276763070

And lo and behold, my rear end is grass.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wesleywillis posted:

Golf cart tire question.

I've got a golf cart at parent's RV up north. My brother is up there this weekend, tells me it needs a tire.
Says the size is: AT 18x9.5-8

Whats the deal with the measurements? is 18 the overall diameter? 9.5 the width? 8 the rim diameter?

Assuming thats the case, can I run this: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/18-x-8-50-8-turf-tire/A-p8668246e Tire in place of it?

Are golf cart tires like car tires, where you can run a slightly different width on the same rim as long as its not too much wider/narrower?

We put 18x9.50-8 agricultural-ish tires on my dads cart and it rules.

It just trundles through anything as long as it has clearance.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Nidhg00670000 posted:

With grandpa dead since a couple of years, when grandma died some months ago, it falls upon the uncles with families to try to keep the farm looking somewhat ok until it is sold.

One of the two top modern tractors available.

This mower hasn't been serviced in at least fifteen years I think. One of the knifes/blades had broken off.

Like new! The knifes/blades are cold riveted to the bar on the right which is then slid into the track with the fingers on the right (the blade bar is facing the wrong way in the picture).

It then becomes this very OSHA approved device.

EDIT: this video refuses to embed https://vimeo.com/276763070

And lo and behold, my rear end is grass.

Great post.

Sorry about your grandparents.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hypnolobster posted:

We put 18x9.50-8 agricultural-ish tires on my dads cart and it rules.

It just trundles through anything as long as it has clearance.

That looks dope! I'll see if I can find some of those instead of the regular turf tires.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I may have made a mistake and bought a new Yanmar SA324 with a loader. I don't have land yet....but i got it below cost, and our Yanmar rep threw in some steep discounts as well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My boss is buying me a new drill. Its not quite done yet

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do you get a choice in the colour? :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Gulf livery or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was thinking obnoxious Ryobi green but that's so much better

• Locked thread