Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slothrop posted:

Gulf livery or gtfo

Oh gently caress that would be the poo poo.

It'll likely be a boring red like (most of) our others.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
An hour to the trails and then:

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Anybody with experience using Avant loaders? These things are on my secret wishlist for santa. Right behind Valtra or Massey Ferguson tractors. :fap:

How are the spare parts prices and maintenance? I am not a particularly mechanically skilled person, mind you. In the distant past I have driven tracked vehicles a little though, and remember a thing or two about hydraulics and such.

I apologise if my newfound tractor addiction is shining through. I haven't been this excited about machinery since I was three. (I even bought Farming Simulator 17 and I am now hooked on tractors). Not planning to become a farmer anytime soon but I need a job where I can sit in one of these with a big grin on my face and drive around doing stuff. City park maintenance or something. :sigh:

Links and pretty pictures of tractors:
https://www2.avanttecno.com/global
https://www.valtra.com/
http://www.agcocorp.com/brands/massey-ferguson.html

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A few weeks ago, my boss just hapened to be in the neighbourhood of the manufacturer of the new drill we are getting.

Last pic I posted had the engine in it. I assume that was for fit up purposes....

More pics.

Bare chassis.

Random shots under the tower

Side view of the "driver's" (control panel) side.

The white Cylindrical thing is the communist auto hammer. To the left, the roundy looking thing is the auger rotation motor.

Other side shot

Top of the tower

Its got a 39(?) HP Yanmar Diesel, Tier 4 final allegedly.

Hooked up to the Hydraulic pump:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Seeing the in-progress on something like that is really cool. Also holy gently caress that hydraulic pump looks expensive... Like, that's gotta be a $5000 pump...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The twin hydraulic pumps on our Vermeer mini skid steer are about $6K each. We found this out when the shaft linking them broke and exploded both pumps!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

We tried Vermeer trencher/excavators at work and found them to be ridiculously unreliable, and parts were expensive. Got Kubota mini-exes and never looked back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If its like our older, slightly different machine, its a Sauer Danfoss pump. Probably expensive as gently caress, but old machine is almost 14 years old with probably 10,000+ hours and only one pump related break down. That was because the splines wore off the input shaft a few years ago. New shaft and its still running strong.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

New Sundstrand pumps for my old 260k mowers are $2500 each. I had them rebuilt for 900 each. I wouldn't be surprised if that pump was 6-10k.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

angryrobots posted:

We tried Vermeer trencher/excavators at work and found them to be ridiculously unreliable, and parts were expensive. Got Kubota mini-exes and never looked back.

Yeah, all our actual important poo poo are different brands- we've got Kubota for our small B26 and L4600 Tractor/backhoes and the two RTV side by sides, New Holland and Bobcat for our big skid steers and New Holland and Massey Ferguson for our real tractors. The Vermeer mini skid steer is a tracked one and sooooooo much better than the dingo digger we've also got, which is wheeled.

Its actually not been too bad reliability wise- its got about 1000hrs on it now and apart from the pump explosion, which was covered under warranty, we've had two track roller bearing failures, which isnt surprising considering they're basically dirt lubricated, gone through a set of tracks on it because it does a lot of work on sealed surfaces and one of my loving mongoloid coworkers managed to bend the gently caress out of the 4 in 1 bucket and now it wont close fully...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A big part of our Vermeer issues stemmed from their insistence on using non-greasable (fiberglass or something iirc) bushings everywhere, and the trencher would throw the chain off easily no matter how it was adjusted. The engine, hydrostatic trans, hydraulics weren't bad tho. :v:

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Are there companies out there that will make custom length sleeved control cables?

The snowblower I bought last winter needs a new chute angle control cable, but the local small engine/ equipment shop can't find me one that's the right length/style.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Captain McAllister posted:

Are there companies out there that will make custom length sleeved control cables?

The snowblower I bought last winter needs a new chute angle control cable, but the local small engine/ equipment shop can't find me one that's the right length/style.

I've cut those push/pull throttle cable things sleeve and all. I'd imagine you could do that with whatever style you can find that works but is too long. The sleeve is usually a piece of wire thats coiled tightly and covered with a plastic sleeve.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Check with a bicycle shop. Those control cables aren't all that different from brake cables, and they may be able to make what you need.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Coming along nicely. Manufacturer says it should be done in a couple weeks, then they need to give it a bit of a shake down run and it'll be on a truck to the shop.

No Gulf livery unfortunately.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got a Champion 4000 (model 46539) generator that won't start. Just chugs and chugs. Replaced the spark plug: still nothing. There's a low oil sensor that'll prevent start but it's got oil. There's gas in the carburetor bowl so it seems like it's getting some from the tank, but otherwise it's like it's not getting gas. I can squirt gas into the carburetor and get it started, but the instant I stop adding gas it quits. The gas is a little old, but it's the same stuff that fires when I squirt it in the carburetor. I'm at the absolute end of my abilities/knowledge when it comes to engines, but a few folks have told me my carburetor's dirty, so...I tried to clean it and screwed up. There's a brass screw that holds the main jet in place and I stripped it the second I put a screwdriver to it. So I've got no way to get at it and clean out any of the jets.

So two questions: does anyone concur/disagree that my problem seems to lie in the carburetor? If no, shout it out, and if yes, can I likely solve my problem by buying a new carburetor like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Chaser-C...90%3A8308921011

From someone else's video, but this is the bad screw; it's way inside something, I've got no way to get it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Buy the carb.

For 13 bucks you might as well. Once you've got it installed, try and mess with the old carb.

See if you can learn something taking it apart . <=== I'm not saying that in a talking poo poo kind of way.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Former R&D guy at Champion (who ironically keep the engineering in Sussex WI)

Change the carb. The carbs aren't any shittier than industry standard, but the industry standard is pretty lovely.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

wesleywillis posted:

See if you can learn something taking it apart . <=== I'm not saying that in a talking poo poo kind of way.
Ha I don't take it that way at all - I freely admit I don't know poo poo, this is a decent chance to learn something.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Just bought a new house and I'm going from having a typical 6000 square feet SFH lot to one on which the driveway alone is about 6000 square feet and I need to keep it clear of snow somehow. Obviously shoveling is out and I suspect even a large walk behind would have me dreading every snowfall. I'm thinking the best option would be a lawn tractor, which I need anyways, with a 46''+ snowblower attachment, but I've never owned one before so I thought I'd ask here first.

I've read reports of all kinds of issues with traction, belts snapping, and difficulty in anything more than moderate snow with typical riding mowers/tractors. Originally I was hoping to get something for under $5k all in but the more I look at it the more I wonder if I shouldn't be looking at 4WD lawn tractors the only ones of which I'm aware of are Kubotas or JDs for more like $10k. The actual lawn consists of around an acre and the land is described by the county as "gently rolling hills" which is I'd say accurate, no extreme or especially long slopes that I think really require 4WD but it wouldn't hurt.

Is this something y'all would do or am I better off with a more modest mower combined with a stand alone blower?

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 26, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Go find an old jeep or pickup with plow for $5k.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So I really wanted to brag on the new mower I picked up, I wanted AWD since we have some really steep hills, but I wanted a Push Mower since its nearly the only heavy exercise I get thanks to my asthma.

I found this at a Sears closeout for $300:

http://www.poulanpro.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/pr675awd/961420143/

Its zippy, despite the wheel size, can haul itself with minimal effort up hill, and I can push it one handed. The motor is a little undersized for cutting long grass, and it doesn't have a side eject which bugs me a bit, but I'm overall impressed with it.

It has a lot of poor reviews, but I can honestly say I've had no issues so far.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Elem7 posted:

I've read reports of all kinds of issues with traction, belts snapping, and difficulty in anything more than moderate snow with typical riding mowers/tractors.
One of my friends has a blower attachment for his riding lawn mower, and even though he's 275#+, and has the wheel weights, he sometimes has to have his wife stand on the back to get enough traction cut through the bank at the end of his driveway.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

Go find an old jeep or pickup with plow for $5k.

I know this is AI and that that is probably the quickest method of clearing a driveway but that just sounds like a project. I'm under the impression plowing is pretty hard on a vehicle and I'm not real confident the kind of beater with a plow I'd get for $5k would do well over a few years of cold winter starts followed by plowing and being put away wet(barely warmed up).

nmfree posted:

One of my friends has a blower attachment for his riding lawn mower, and even though he's 275#+, and has the wheel weights, he sometimes has to have his wife stand on the back to get enough traction cut through the bank at the end of his driveway.

I've heard of similar issues which is why I landed on the whole idea of getting one with 4WD, I don't really want to spend $10k on a fancy mower but the only options I found were expensive JD and Kubota models, if I missed one I'd love to hear it. Traction issues aside he happy with it? I've read lots of complaints of cheaper models suffering from snapped belts and bogging down after even moderate snow falls.

I did look on Craigslist for a used option but all I see are cheap clapped out big box store level mowers and the occasional full on compact utility tractor that're either $15k+ or 30+ years old. If I had more land I'd consider a real tractor but I don't.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Just get as big and nice of a walk behind snow blower that you can afford. You can get them with heated handles, 4wd, a cab that shields you, etc. To get something driveable that's worth a poo poo you'll spend 20 grand on a tractor and blower unless you get real lucky finding something used.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Buy an old blower. I've yet to see a consumer-grade tractor that could handle any blower worth owning. Ditto with ATVs and plow blades. My old Ariens 1032ST (now with ChiClone 13hp powa') is loving awesome, and made from real American Steel (and now Chinese aluminum).

Alternately, if you wanna spend real money, buy a real tractor or skidsteer. They'll handle anything, and you can do poo poo like use a massive auger to dig holes, and then use the blade to fill them back in.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

They'll handle anything, and you can do poo poo like use a massive auger to dig holes, and then use the blade to fill them back in.

This is what I aspire to when I retire. Just have a backyard full of power equipment and piles of dirt. I'll be some autistic 80 year old who spends my entire day playing with an excavator.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
318 or 400-series John Deere.

E: or a 20hp Gravely

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

This is what I aspire to when I retire. Just have a backyard full of power equipment and piles of dirt. I'll be some autistic 80 year old who spends my entire day playing with an excavator.

I've got a buddy who lives outside Olympia, WA on a 35 acre farm. He grows a ton of vegetables, fruit, and raises chickens and goats. He's got a 40hp Kubota with a backhoe, blade, and auger. Sure, he needs that stuff for the farm. He also just goes into the back field and digs holes for the gently caress of it... I'm jealous.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That's why I love my job so much, get to play in the dirt with fun toys all day. Plus any reason to have a dump truck is a good one.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Back in the 90s I worked at a Wiccan and Pagan supply house, and the owner was like that. Stupid, stupid money and not a lot of expenses. He bought a brand new case backhoe just to “dig holes and fill them in again”. And sure enough, while we were working in the warehouse packing frankincense and bullshit Wiccan stuff he was out in the field with his full size Tonka truck.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

Back in the 90s I worked at a Wiccan and Pagan supply house, and the owner was like that. Stupid, stupid money and not a lot of expenses. He bought a brand new case backhoe just to “dig holes and fill them in again”. And sure enough, while we were working in the warehouse packing frankincense and bullshit Wiccan stuff he was out in the field with his full size Tonka truck.

I mean eat the rich and all but this is amazing.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

sharkytm posted:

Alternately, if you wanna spend real money, buy a real tractor or skidsteer. They'll handle anything, and you can do poo poo like use a massive auger to dig holes, and then use the blade to fill them back in.

I did spot one not so old CL tractor for sale locally at a great price but even a 35hp compact tractor feels like it'd be unwieldy on an acre.

At one point I was looking at a 20 acre plot and dreaming of having a nice tractor with all the fixings and digging out my own pond but I just don't have the land for that at this place.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Elem7 posted:

I did spot one not so old CL tractor for sale locally at a great price but even a 35hp compact tractor feels like it'd be unwieldy on an acre.

At one point I was looking at a 20 acre plot and dreaming of having a nice tractor with all the fixings and digging out my own pond but I just don't have the land for that at this place.

Works ruined me with the toys I've got- my fleet of earth moving gear is a Bobcat 205, a New Holland T6010 front end loader and a Kubota L4600 backhoe. Then theres also the Massey 6035 with the vertical arm slasher on it, the Vermeer TX600 skid steer, the dingo digger....

Then i go back to the parents farm and use the Massey 135 FEL with no power steering and glacial hydraulics... I dont think I could own a tractor with less than 100hp now. The New Holland will lift 1.8 Tonnes on the loader, and its got a 4 in 1 bucket that we use to crush concrete off steel posts we pull out of the ground!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a Briggs & Stratton mower that's died on me. It runs for a few minutes, then started revving up and down, then dies. If I wait a few hours, I can repeat this process. The gas tank is not empty.

I've changed the oil, replaced the spark plug, filled the tank, added some seafoam. No change in behavior.

Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2tga0tj059a8nh/Video%20Sep%2029%2C%201%2034%2022%20PM.mov?dl=0

I guess next things to check are air filter, and fuel delivery? I do light motorcycle maintenance (oil changes, brake pads, etc) so I have some tools and I'm happy to get my hands dirty but I mostly don't know what I'm doing.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Air filter clogging will cause a rich fuel/air mixture. Try running the engine without the filter and see if things improve, clean or replace the filter regardless if it's dirty, dry it if wet. The fact that it runs worse when warm points to a rich mixture I guess.
To my novice ears though yours sounds like it's running lean. With the filter off you can easily try choking the airflow a bit and see if it settles down. If so, you might need to dig into the carburetor. Gunk in the jets is very common. There are lots of youtube how-tos, mower carbs aren't complicated but the little brass doodads that come out with a flathead driver are easy to mangle if they're stuck.
A fault in the governor can also cause surging but if I've learned anything from watching mustie1 on youtube it's that it is almost always the carb.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

epalm posted:

I have a Briggs & Stratton mower that's died on me. It runs for a few minutes, then started revving up and down, then dies. If I wait a few hours, I can repeat this process. The gas tank is not empty.

I've changed the oil, replaced the spark plug, filled the tank, added some seafoam. No change in behavior.

Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2tga0tj059a8nh/Video%20Sep%2029%2C%201%2034%2022%20PM.mov?dl=0

I guess next things to check are air filter, and fuel delivery? I do light motorcycle maintenance (oil changes, brake pads, etc) so I have some tools and I'm happy to get my hands dirty but I mostly don't know what I'm doing.

I think the carb on that is the plastic one and all of $20 to replace. Whats the model number? Should be on the rocker cover.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Ferremit posted:

Works ruined me with the toys I've got- my fleet of earth moving gear is a Bobcat 205, a New Holland T6010 front end loader and a Kubota L4600 backhoe. Then theres also the Massey 6035 with the vertical arm slasher on it, the Vermeer TX600 skid steer, the dingo digger....

Then i go back to the parents farm and use the Massey 135 FEL with no power steering and glacial hydraulics... I dont think I could own a tractor with less than 100hp now. The New Holland will lift 1.8 Tonnes on the loader, and its got a 4 in 1 bucket that we use to crush concrete off steel posts we pull out of the ground!

Yea, after operating equipment in the 100hp range I have a really hard time with the small 20-40hp kubotas and stuff. They feel so cheap and useless. I want the back wheels to come off the ground when I try to lift something too heavy with the bucket, if a tractor doesn't do that, it doesn't have enough power. If the engine doesn't start bogging down and working for its money, the hydraulics are pathetic.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

chrisgt posted:

. I want the back wheels to come off the ground when I try to lift something too heavy with the bucket, if a tractor doesn't do that, it doesn't have enough power. If the engine doesn't start bogging down and working for its money, the hydraulics are pathetic.

My little 30horse NH does all of this. :v:

I would argue that in all of those instances, the machine is undersized if that's a regular thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well this has been my last two weeks at work:

Its all fun and games until your chewing your way through an olive bush and find an old fence in it...

Which was EXTRA fun when you discover that someones "Borrowed" all the pliers and cutters off the tractor...

• Locked thread