Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm doing some art for a sourcebook for ORE called ''Better Angels'' and it's looking really good. Superhero villains are being ridden by demons and the only way to stop them from doing really horrible things is to do slightly less horrible things so that you can keep them happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Baby Babbeh posted:

UA is seriously amazing. It's the best urban fantasy setting, hands down. NWod isn't fit to hold UA's nuts, and I say that as someone who loves nWoD. It's the best example I can think of mechanics underpinning and reinforcing a style of play, as opposed to flavor being imposed externally, which is usually the case.

What's hilarious to me is that the core nWOD book is a complete rip off of UA. You can see it in the fluff (''this man always looks blurry in photos'') in the beginning of the book and all throughout. They tried to do a similar kind of weirdness for the mortal side of nWOD.

The funny thing is of course that the game doesn't actually support the weirdness they're implying. It's all changelings and vampires.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Mikan posted:

I don't get the last thing you said - nWoD has plenty of creepy weird stuff that doesn't make any sense. The Night Horrors line, Mysterious Places, Urban Legends, Antagonists. Even in the main lines you have plenty of things that don't conform to the standard rules or are way weirder than they seem

Maybe it's my pet peeve. I always find nWOD lacking in horror because everything is quantified. If you're a player and you know nothing about the settings, maybe you can enjoy it more, but as an ST, that freaky monster thing isn't that scary if you can nail it as a ''Ridden''(from Werewolf) or a lowly vampire.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Always thought that was really poor game design. I mean it was logical, but still:
''Here's all this cool poo poo you can do. But if you do any of it, you will be penalized for it''.