Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
In-setting adepts SUCK. They suck hard, they suck forever, they can never stop sucking, and when they die they probably wind up tortured ghosts/demons who make other people suck. The sucking is the POINT of adepts, they never anywhere near make up for what they lose with what they gain: Every adept ever is an unlovable, terrible loser who -- if he's lucky -- winds up a burnt out mess.

Avatars rule. Avatars are every other system's "Rule of Cool" or "stunting" distilled down into a page of rules and extended to almost every field of human endeavor "I'm a better salesman because I act like a salesman" is awesome. They're not on some dumbshit treadmill, they're stones tumbling downhill, picking up speed as they go.

That said, adepts can be a far more intense roleplaying experience if the GM can actually hook them into the game (doing so can be haaaaaard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squidster posted:

You sonuvabitch.

I was trying to save money this month. Order'd from Amazon.

The moment you mentioned that was a world according to Tim Powers, whose works I spend too much time reading, I was already reaching for my wallet. Looking at the preview PDF stuff, I'm impressed by how simple and narrative focused the mechanics are. It's also very similar to the d100 system in Dark Heresy, so it doesn't seem like it would even be a huge transition for our regular gaming group!

I'm going to start planning out plot shenanigans now, and I'm eagerly looking forward to running a game of this.

It is %1000 Tim Powers: The RPG. Specifically, Avatars are shamelessly lifted from the Fault Lines trilogy, but the stance towards combat is in-line with Powers, as is the general attitude towards Magic and related fields (ie, Don't do this, you don't want to do this, it's not going to help, you're life is going to get hosed up forever).

If you like powers, play it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

chrisoya posted:

I can't remember which, but one of the adept schools has a major charge you get in a completely different way to all the others, as a leftover from the days when the school meant something completely different. No one has managed to figure out how to get a major charge in a new way yet. I want to say it's the one about staying awake and the major charge involves acting as an oracle, but I haven't read the book in a long time.

I think Narco-Alchemy has this problem -- they all know what they want (the stone), but no one knows how to get that in drug form. I'm not even sure anyone knows where to start.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
It's worth noting that the published scenarios for UA run the gamut from highly experimental game to nothing-supernatural-here fakeout and include, notably, an adventure that no one is going to run anywhere for at least the next five years (mentioned above, "Fly to Heaven" is, no poo poo, 9/11 the RPG, published in '99), a grail quest, and the single most depressing adventure I have seen for any game ever (I considered running "Garden Full of Weeds", but I realized that not only are my GMing skills not up to it, I don't think my roleplaying skills are up to it).

One-Shots and Weep are both usable in ongoing campaigns, and while I haven't played To-Go, I have it and it both looks good and is well-reviewed.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Kemper Boyd posted:

Yeah pretty much so. Thanks.

Other thing I like: not even the Sleepers are all-knowing or all-powerful which is one of the great design elements in UA. WOD made me hate all-powerful conspiracies, and it's cute how the Sleepers (powerful, but to a significant part just lies and hot air) and The New Inquisition (have lawyers, guns and money but don't know poo poo) are handled. In the words of Stolze: that's pretty motherfucking elegant.

It's really a pity that the splatbooks are so hard to get. We have Hush Hush and Break Today, but I would love to get my hands on the other three softcovers (LGM, Stratosphere, and Postmodern Magick). Note that Amazon.com has the corebook at list.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Alex gets a writeup in the main book. If anything, it surprises me that he hasn't learned Plutomancy himself (although I'm not sure if investments would counts a 'getting money' for the purpose of gaining charges). I suppose that whole 'inability to spend anything' part might screw him over though. Still a very scary man.

Because he's not an insane miserly freak when it comes to money. He won't dive into a loving sewer for a hundred-dollar bill. He's capable of buying a house, let alone renting anything more than a shithole that he pays for by the week. He's able to have a bank account, because he can stand to not have all his money in lovely, sweet-smelling greenabcks he can touch and fondle whenever he wants.

He's a bit odd, but he's not an insane freak who will never function in society.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squidster posted:

Mechanics question for you guys - when it comes to Adepts, how many formulas do they start off with?

As best I understand it, they start off at character creation with none, and then have to spend 10xp for each minor formula, and more for significant formulas - is that correct?

I thought that generally speaking, adepts start with the minor/sig spells in the book.

Also, bought Reign:Enchiridion and it is drat good. I'm probably going to bolt on the Companies rules to my DnD game, and I'm definitely tempted to try and play something with the ruleset as a whole.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It costs 5 xp/10 xp (Minor/Significant) to create a new spell that isn't one of the ones listed.

From the stories in the books I don't think all adepts know all about their own school. It's reasonable to not know how to get a Significant or Major charge although the character might have some inkling of what is involved.

You're the GM, you decide. If you want them to start out with every spell then go for it. If you want to give them one minor formula spell and random magic. Give them hints at what a significant charge might require. You might even let them discover a significant formula before they even know how to obtain a significant charge.

Well, yes, but generally. I'm not going to pull the books now, but the rule seems to be that if they're using a book-school, not knowing something out of the book would be A Thing. That said, there are pretty good guidelines on what each adept has as far as charge-sources and held charges go.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squidster posted:

I believe the most famous UA scenario is JailBreak,

Jail Break is pretty famous, and pretty great, but I would say the most notable scenario is The UA Scenario You Can't Run Anymore, At Least Around Here.

Pope Guilty posted:

The Freak is a perfectly reasonable person.

Sometimes.

Sometimes.

"Sometimes" isn't doubled for emphasis -- The Freak is sometimes reasonable and The Freak is sometimes a person. If it were possible to empathize with something like it, you'd feel sorry for it, you really would.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Also, I'm never going to run Garden Full of Weeds. It's an amazing scenario, but I simply don't have the finesse and skill to run it tastefully.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squidster posted:

The Gods tightly adhere to the seasons - Daughter Spring, Summer Son, Mother Autumn and Father Winter, so I'm planning on redressing the magic to be primarily elemental in nature. Since magic is dangerous and powerful, only paladins and noblemen would be allowed to be trained in the four orthodox schools of magic, whereas any town warlock can fumble his way into the Bastard's service.

Why not leave the excellent theological/magical structure of Chalion intact? I think it would be perfect for Reign. You still have general-purpose magicians, but saints both full and petty would work excellently in a Reign-style game.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Taboo: The Sage can't do anything with the knowledge, not directly. An even rougher taboo would be not knowing the answer to a question you're asked (that's celtic myth poo poo right there).

And it should definitely, like Warriors and Pilgrims and Kings, be limited to a domain. Only THE SAGE up in the Strat is the sage of everything, all the avatars are The Sage of Something.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Lemony posted:

The only thing that seems to stop it from replicating the X-Com experience is the apparent lack of frequent horrible death. Still, totally worth the money.

Frequent Horrible Death is well-supported in DiS! You're expected to essentially suicide/abandon your character whenever they're not fun anymore at absolutely no mechanical penalty (you keep all your tokens and build someone new with an equal total).

Also, anyone not totally on board with the GREYS WIN future should kill themselves immediately so the archon controlling them can get someone more interesting with equal tokens and points.

edit: italic is not spoiler...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Any. The link is in the first update, which is backers-only.

Oh no, not at all. The Freak is now the "Human Eternal", is not longer driven by self-loathing and misanthropy, and wants the 333 cycle to improve the world instead of just leaving things up to whatever random jackasses happened to ascend. The Comte, who used to be focused on his immortality and being part of the overall cycle, is now "Old Mother Apocalypse", and feels that the cycle she was once part of isn't going to improve jack poo poo, so she's determined to stop it once and for all, locking the world into its current state for eternity.

Oh yeah, and remember Joy and Sorrow from One-Shots? They're the Comte's daughter and wives.

HOLY poo poo I am looking forward to getting that far in my Gammas. Only through 1 so far. The whole running fiction with the hosed-up dukes who got MUCH better, normal lives when the counter rolled over on 3/3/03 but go right back down into the poo poo is real grade-A UA poo poo. And I'm not just saying that because it has one of my favorite UA GMPCs in an epilogue cameo.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jenx posted:

If it's a Major Charge we're talking about, I suspect the GM's idea of "scratch" is not going to be particularly forgiving. Better start learning about mining and smelting ores!

Yeah, that's explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Haven't run it so I'm not sure about the new base-abilities system, but I am so loving in love with the new fluff. "This explains Florida"; all the old factions went to war with each other and they all got completely hosed; The Freak and the Comte doing a Renunciation pas de deux, all of it. Given the timelines of various things and the running fiction in the first book, my read is we hit 332 on or just before 3/3/03 and The Freak caught the Comte on the way up somehow -- the following chat and Renunciation somehow resulted in The Freak never being The Freak (per the stuff in Book 3 about its backstory, I guess rather than murdering Pre-Freak's SO, Dirk gets clean, so no Freak, Sleeper Dirk, etc.?), which reset the previous dozen or so years, leaving us with a world that seems a bit more hopeful maybe (except of course for the many many many dead Dukes in the Whisper War, which probably results from this)? That make sense?